News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

My ONS and OFF's!

Started by Jester, November 12, 2010, 09:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Hi there

I hate my on's and off's page.

Would people mind critiqueing it please?

I want to know

1. what people would like added
2. and what they think should be removed
3. How can i make it more interesting?
4. What would make you want to write with me?

Many thanks

jouzinka

Hi, Jester... well, on to your questions, hm?  :-)

1. I'd add: Characters you play to the searchable part of the O&Os. Like Veks said, if more people fill this in, then it will make writing the partner search engine worthwhile, plus it's quite prominent at the top of the page. You have there O&Os in a female form, but none in male for and other form. It's okay not to have other preferences in the other forms, but to me without saying as much makes an "incomplete" impression. Maybe add what you expect of your writing partner, post length and frequency, what you offer in return.
2. Removed? Not really. Just maybe organized a little, add a bit more description here and there, use bold and underlined and italic, perhaps lists or perhaps tables, just give the page a bit of a structure and add descriptions, point out specific interests. Like, a SciFi setting is an on, any specific? I know that it's in the column on the right, but I swear if I had to read that particular column from top to the bottom, my head would hurt like hell. It's okay if I look for something specific, but if I had to read it entirely... uf. :-(  The less words, the less information I get about a partner, the less inclined I am to approach him/her. Maybe it's just me, but for some reason a mere list of ons and offs really turns me off, like... as if that person didn't care what kind of first impression they make. Yeah, well, that's just me, I would hate to impose me on you. ;D
3. answered in 2, kinda.  ;)
4. Frankly (and that's not just you, Jester), if from your O&Os and a thorough check of your past (game) posts I get the impression that the two of us wouldn't mix well, then nothing would make me write with you. It's just that. People click and people don't. That's why we have those pages, I think.

Hope I make sense.  XD
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

Following on from what Jouzinka said, I tend to go much more on a person's posting style and their general demeanour in PMs than their O/Os, so to me the 'view this persons posts' button is far more likely to get me to decide to play with them or not than any amount of nicely written O/O list. So don't sweat about the fine details of your O/Os too much - as long as you're being honest in there - instead look at how you write or the style in which you play and consider if you are able to make any changes there.

However you can use the O/O list to convey some of your personality if you write an introduction or add some comments in a style that you think will draw people in.

Jester

Thanks Haibane. I think you are probably right. Your comments are appreciated.

And Jouzinka I love your ons/off page. looks really neat. I wont change mine just yet until i get some other comments. Although I did add myself to the searchable facility.

Cheers

jouzinka

Thanks, although I keep telling myself that some things there could use a more than a little re-wording. XD

Take whichever advice and wait however you want, just make sure that when you look at the O&Os page when it's done, you can honestly tell yourself: "Yeah, that's me." In both style and content. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

While I have not looked at either of your O/Os pages in years...! I personally find loads of artsy layout, fancy fonts, images and colours a turn off. I usually click away from such an O/Os list very fast.

Plain text combined with honest intentions goes a long way, I feel.