Suicide Squad: Take 2

Started by Kadigan, September 07, 2015, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadigan

Thought I would give this another try, here's hoping.

"Welcome back to the world of the living. You might have some questions about where you are and what’s going on. Well, it’s fairly simple really. Implanted in your neck is a mark 10 explosive detention chip, which, any attempts to tamper with, will cause it to detonate. You will also see that we’ve taken the liberty of removing your special equipment and costumes, and garbing you in fashionable prison orange. You will stand by for further orders on your situation."

The Task Force X program is a shadow organization created by General Ostrander, with the idea that the metahumans, lunatics, and over all freaks who’ve begun running rampant on the world at large. A new prison work program, so to speak, only with a much higher fatality rate.. What exactly is the program? Capturing seemingly random metas, and dropping them into situations involving anything from superhuman, supernatural, paranormal, and even crime related affairs. These “volunteers” are kept in line and forcefully obedient due to an explosive device implanted into their neck. A

If these missions are not performed, the collars will go off. The volunteers are told that after 10 successful missions, they will be set free, their records wiped, and allowed to live a peaceful new existence. The people lucky enough to be chosen for this group are told it’s called Task Force X, unofficially though it’s known as the…

Hello all, first (second now) attempt at really running a game. I have hopes, and I’ll certainly give it my all. This is, if it’s not obvious, based off the DC Comics Suicide Squad idea. I’d like to keep it a small, medium-ish group really, maybe 6-8 members.

Character wise, I’m looking to stick to DC Canon’s only, and those are for the most part considered villains and villainess. If you want to skew it towards a little more of the Animated, or Live version that’s fine, but it needs to be recognizable as the core character.

On that note as well, I know the major players right now on the squad are Harley, Deadshot, Shark, Etc Etc… and while I do like those characters, I want to explore other DC characters that maybe haven’t shined.  I should perhaps clarify this point, as it seemed to be murky last time. I’m looking for characters that you think have a spark, but haven’t shined. There’s plenty of those that have broken through the glass ceiling already, thanks to TV, Animated, and the Films. If  you’re not sure, then think about this..could your character right now probably get his own series, spin-off show, high supporting or near lead role in something? If so..then..not the idea I had. There’s dozens, hundreds of minor villains that would worth exploring. Powerlevel wise, obviously we’re looking for villains that can reasonably be captured, contained, and exploited by the military.

I'll probably retry putting up Scorch, and am hoping other people have interest in trying this again, or for the first time.

zenpai

I am willing to play Jonathan Crane/scarecrow
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Foxy DeVille

How about Madame Rouge? Sure, she was dead when the first series started but with her powers she could have faked it and been captured later. Probably go with her animated loom since it makes more sense for someone name "Rouge" to wear red.

Giantmutantcrab

Hello!

*light cough* Umm...  I would be interested in presenting my interest for this Suicide Squad, if that is at all possible.

I enjoy playing people with extensive knowledge in martial arts, so my character selection would be one of these three characters, if any of these are acceptable RP material in the scope of this game.

1- Puma.  One of the few anthro martial artists of the DC universe.  I even have a picture of him in jumpsuit, six-pack abs included for your viewing pleasure.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/7/7a/Puma_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091121011903

2- Bronze Tiger.  This one may be unacceptable because he's a little more heroic and popular, but he has a dark side to him and perhaps volunteered for the Squad.  Some kind of redemption for his past deeds, mayhaps?  Also, one seriously capable and dangerous non-metahuman character.

TheScarletBlade

Is any former member of the suicide squad available or is a specific iteration of the team?
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

VonDoom

If they're obscure enough, though Suicide Squad itself is a popular title, so I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm interested, but will have to consider character choices, since my former proposal of Alternate Reality Vixen doesn't really mesh with the clarified opening.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Etherealgirl

I wouldn't mind joining as Harley Quinn. Shes the only one I am familiar with. :X But if your looking for others, I understand.

Giantmutantcrab

A Non-Joker-focused Harley could be great!  I feel that she is such an interesting character that is constantly squashed as being "Joker's gal".  As if ANYONE would be attracted to that gangly, disgusting ghoul of a man (I don't like Joker ^_^ ).

Perhaps she could be in the timeline when he was one of the "Sirens of Gotham", hanging out with Catwoman and Poison Ivy (until she got captured and got an explosive collar?)

Etherealgirl

I could play a Harley like that. A post joker Harley.

VonDoom

I'm not Barbara, but Harley definitely doesn't fit the requirements. Not only is she extremely prominent throughout various media, she currently has a fairly long running solo series and features in other titles such as Suicide Squad. Or did, I'm not following the latter.

O&O

Giantmutantcrab

It's true that Harley is a very popular character and has been in one incarnation of the Suicide Squad (to answer VonDoom's question, no I don't think she is a member any longer.  Or she's taken a helluva long leave of absence.)  That being said...  The way I understood the initial instructions of this specific group RP is not to play a black hole character.  By that I mean a character that's so immense and untouchable that not even light can escape them.  yes Harley Quinn is well-known in popular, but we're not talking Cheetah, Shiva or Catwoman levels of notoriety.

And heck, maybe having Harley back in the Suicide Squad could be used in the storyline itself, adding a bit of fluff.  She could be audiably groaning at the instructions, tugging at her collar and muttering how it was more comfortable the first time around...  For example.

...no?

Kadigan

Ok    Top to bottom and a little short as am on iPad.  Crane will have to think but probably yes.  Rouge and puma yes. Harley, sorry but going to have to decline that one.

Giantmutantcrab

Woo hoo!

I am Puma, hear me roar!

*quiet little mew*

*cough*

I'll have to work on that.

RampantDesires

How would you feel about a White Rabbit?

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Giantmutantcrab

!!!

Rampant!

*offers a hug* I am glad to see you!  How have you been?

Oh we could actually get to RP together for realsies!

TheScarletBlade

“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

VonDoom

Quote from: TheScarletBlade on September 09, 2015, 01:23:48 AM
What about Black Adam?

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on September 07, 2015, 06:23:56 PM
On that note as well, I know the major players right now on the squad are Harley, Deadshot, Shark, Etc Etc… and while I do like those characters, I want to explore other DC characters that maybe haven’t shined.  I should perhaps clarify this point, as it seemed to be murky last time. I’m looking for characters that you think have a spark, but haven’t shined. There’s plenty of those that have broken through the glass ceiling already, thanks to TV, Animated, and the Films. If  you’re not sure, then think about this..could your character right now probably get his own series, spin-off show, high supporting or near lead role in something? If so..then..not the idea I had. There’s dozens, hundreds of minor villains that would worth exploring. Powerlevel wise, obviously we’re looking for villains that can reasonably be captured, contained, and exploited by the military.

Probably not.

Still trying to figure out a character I want to play myself. Looked at some obscure ones like Red Dart or Getaway Genius, but I'd have to scrounge up their actual appearances.

O&O

Kadigan

White Rabbit, yes (incidentally her Marvel version is my favorite z lister in Marvel)  Black Adam, going to say no too. Besides the obvious power level issue (he's near Superman level) again does not really fit what I'm going for.

Kadigan

Bio time, wheee:

Code Name:

Description: (pics are nice fine, can be drawn or photo)

Powers/Skills/Gadgets:

Major Crimes of Note: [/b
Personality:
History:

Code Name: Scorch

Description:

Powers/Skills/Gadgets:

Pyrokinesis: She can create and control fire, however it does require more focus the larger the fire is.

Heat resistant: She’s immune to fire and heat up to a certain point, though she has a vulnerability to intense colds.

Major Crimes of Note: The Ashely National Forest in Utah USED to have 1.3 million acres to it, until she came along. Current estimates are ongoing, but are rumored to be less then half that.

The Mall of America is still recovering from her spontaneous need to see more fire.

Personality: Audrey was originally fairly shy and reserved, even from someone coming from Virginia, she worked at a small Luthor Retail outlet, as a cashier. After the “event” that changed her, she was more then willing to speak her mind, let lose on her emotions, no matter the consequences. She’s lately been having more and more fascination with her own fires, leading to distraction at times.

History: Originally a normal human from Pisboe, Virginia, Aubrey Sparks was transformed into Scorch , through means she still doesn’t really comprehend. The Joker uses power stolen from Mr. Mxyzptlk to create an alternate universe in which Superman was a villain and created his own warped version of the Justice League called the Joker League of Anarchy, which includes a psychopathic Scorch, a demonic doppelgänger of the Earth-Angel Supergirl. She attempted to help Bizarro capture Superman. After Joker was defeated, Mr. Mxyzptlk decided to allow several of those given powers by the Joker to keep their powers while he restored everything else to normal. Thus, Aubrey kept her powers as Scorch, though returned her personality to…mostly normal.

After a disastrous time with the Martian Manhunter, where she attempted to help him conquer his fear of fire and a brief romance, she found herself wandering aimlessly. She tried to help people, she really did. When she was tricked into the Secret Society, she eventually did help Superman. She did attempt to kill the Titans, but that was mainly due to a giant mind controlling space starfish, which still confuses her to this day.

Still, whatever changes were made to her during the bizarre cosmic event that created her, makes her long and need for the fire, to see it sparkle and dance. She found herself setting small fires to keep her happy, then larger ones, then..well…there’s only so much the government could take before they arrested her. And through it all, she can feel her body still changing, slowly, but it’s there.

VonDoom

I just had an idea! The Fiddler! He's easy to completely shut down for the squad, not often taken seriously, but actually very dangerous when properly directed.

O&O

Giantmutantcrab

That actually sounds like a great idea.  I just read up on the Fiddler (as I had absolutely no idea who that was) and he was able to hypotize two Flashes to get them to steal stuff for him.  Plus he was a Black Lantern, but we can skip the "zombie-violinist" part of his background.  :)

BarbaraGordon, are all the characters going to be inmates at Belle Rive, Lousiana?  Or would some be transferred from other prisons thanks to Ms. Waller pulling strings in order to refurbish her new Suicide Squad?  (if it's Ms. Waller at all, it could be someone else completely).

RampantDesires

Code Name: White Rabbit

Description:
Jaina - A striking woman with smooth olive skin, a clear testament to her 1/2 Indian heritage. Long black hair and green eyes.  Clearly comes from money as is fond of designer dresses that showcase her curvy figure.
White Rabbit - Pale skinned with wavy white hair.  Lavender eyes. Wears THE most ridiculous bunny costume complete with fluffy little cotton tail, making her look more Playmate than supervillian.  Leather thigh high white boots with a three inch heel.

Powers/Skills/Gadgets:
Bio-Fission - Able to replicate herself though only once and her second form is markedly different from her original body with a completely different personality.
Escape Artist - She is remarkably quick and agile, able to outrun most pursuers even while wearing her trademark thigh high boots with long spiked heels over long distances and difficult terrain. She has also displayed considerable skill at evasion, escaping numerous times from police and Batman.

Major Crimes of Note:
Arkham Asylum break out.  While not currently a prisoner herself she helped spring some of Gotham's worst.
Generally falling in with the wrong crowd.  Clayface, Bane, Scarecrow, the girl has atrocious taste in friends.

Personality:
Jaina - Organizes fundraisers for needy charities and enjoys witty banter at five star restaurants. Driven and manipulative. 
White Rabbit - Enjoys breaking rules, taunting her enemies, and engaging in high stakes games of chase.  Irreverent, sarcastic, amoral.

History: The only daughter of a wealthy American diplomat and a famous Bollywood actress Jaina moved from India to Gotham when she was nine.  She grew up pampered, attending the best private schools. There was heavy pressure of 'perfection' placed upon her by both her physically flawless mother and her politically ambitious father and while she publicly lived up to their standards as the ideal daughter inwardly her resentment grew to dangerous levels.  At some point Jaina snapped.  For most people this would be a psychotic break, but she did more than simply develop multiple personalities, she gained the power to actually manifest the alternate ego of the White Rabbit.

With the Rabbit to act as a pressure valve (she DOES have an inordinate amount of fun and gets out all those rebellious urges) Jaina was able to maintain her proper facade. Eventually she made organizing charity events into a career during which time she met one Mr. Bruce Wayne who she almost kind of dated, save for the fact that the man is terribly busy and inconveniently unable to make it to a date on time (or even at all).  At the same time White Rabbit ran amok through the streets and the halls of Arkham Asylum, though eventually she was captured by police and thrown into Blackgate Penitentiary.

Not sure how exactly to spring her other half from the prison Jaina turned to her father for help, however either by accident or to keep her from becoming a public embarrassment to him she found herself taken away to face an even longer prison term... or, ten missions with a bunch of nut jobs? Sold.  How hard can it be?

So there's actually not much out there talking about her story or even how her ability manifested O.o I took some pretty shameless liberties making up stuff for it.  Hopefully it works, I'm willing to change things if need be.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

TheScarletBlade

What about Daniel West, the reverse flash?

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Kadigan

Being transferred in from a different location or prison is fine. The Fiddler is perfect for it.

VonDoom

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on September 09, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
Being transferred in from a different location or prison is fine. The Fiddler is perfect for it.

Woo!

Here's what I have so far, still WIP, but not sure if I can get much more ready before the weekend.

Code Name: The Fiddler
Description: The Fiddler is a handsome man in his late forties, with a classically styled, shoulder-length mane of prematurely white hair. His preferred dress is a green tailcoat, with a yellow undervest and white shirt. Though somewhat evocative of an Irish image, his accent is decidedly English.

Powers/Skills/Gadgets:
Fiddler's Fiddle - A genuine Stradivari, modified to allow the Fiddler to instantly hypnotize those exposed to its music when played by him and force them to act according to his wishes. He can also employ it to generate destructive sonic waves. Previous versions had greater utility, but he was not allowed to implement more under the supervision of Task Force X. If necessary, it can be disabled by remote and, failing that, counter-frequency generating earsets have been prepared for the handlers.

Experience and Prowess - Though the Fiddler is not a martial artist, he has extensive experience fighting superheroes and is more than capable of handling himself in a fight.

Hypnosis - The Fiddler originally learned the art of hypnosis from a Fakir (in reality, a demon) with whom he was imprisoned. His skill with hypnosis is immense, to the point of designing intricate machinery -- including his famous 'fiddle' -- to quickly force others to obey his will. Though his approach has often earned him ridicule of late, he is one of the foremost experts in hypnotic mind control, able to easily bypass the limits associated with more mundane hypnosis.

He is capable of performing hypnosis without a specialized focus, but its potency and scope are far more limited, more in line with what a regular hypnotist might achieve.

Self-Suggestion: Far less commonly known that his flashy displays, like a Fakir, Bowin is capable of turning his suggestive abilities inwards. The Fiddler can contort his limbs and hold such positions for a very long time, vastly increase his tolerance to pain and temperatures and more.

Major Crimes of Note:
Robbery, Theft, Kidnapping, Robbing-of-Free-Will, Murder, Attempted Murder, Attempted Time-Erasure,  'The spiriting away of Keystone City'

Personality:
Isaac Bowin is a dangerous sociopath, but that's a given for most operatives in Task Force X. He is arrogant and often seems as if he chooses style over more effective approaches. In reality, he hides a devious mind behind the eccentricities and only protests 'constantly being underestimated' to keep up appearances. He has worked hard to fall under the general radar and intends to remain there, all the better to prepare for his revenge against the Flash.

Though much of his flashiness is a front, not all of it is, and he highly values appearances, classic art and his own musical skill.

History:

[…]

After many confrontations with the Flash and, eventually, the Justice League, Bowin dropped into obscurity following his alliance with the Injustice League. Far from inactive, he was preparing for his ultimate revenge against the Flash -- he was about to put the final pieces into motion when he prepared a lookalike, hypnotically treated to impersonate him, and sent him off to act as a member of the newly formed Secret Six and his eventual death at the hands of Deadshot.

Before he could execute a surprise attack on the Flash, however, he was captured by Task Force X and given the option to work with them or be sent off to a metahuman prison.

His participation has proven highly productive -- the effectiveness of hypnotic treatments for more volatile members has increased quite a bit with his assistance. After a brief period of military training (so that his very focused skillset wouldn't prove a detriment in certain conditions), he has been upgraded to active operative.

O&O