Caravanserai [Whitesand Moonrock Observatory]

Started by Flower, July 09, 2018, 08:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Caravanserai’s observatory was one of a kind. Though small, it offered a vast canvas of starlight in which to observe and marvel at. In order to reach its lounging area, one must walk through tight, ringed walls, composed entirely of brick, and up a few stairs. The passageway is tight so it only permits one person at a time rather than clusters of people.

Once one reaches the lounge area, they will find comfortable sitting and blankets if they become cold. An attendant stands at the ready to offer assistance if any is needed with the telescope. Binoculars are also available for viewing of the night sky. Handouts, detailing the basics of astronomy, will also be handed out to the observatory's visitors.

[float=left][img height=200 padding=10][/img][/float][b]Name:[/b] Your character's name goes here.
[b]Date | Time:[/b] What day and time does your scene take place?
[b]Wearing:[/b] You can either link a picture of what your character is wearing or describe it in words.
[b]Location:[/b] Where is your character located in the hotel?
[b]Tagging:[/b] Who is your character talking to at the moment? Feel free to include if they are mentioning someone. Also mention if your scene is open or closed.[hr]

Credit to Oxy for graphics

Flower

Star Light, Star Bright

Date: June 7, 8 pm - 10 pm
Wish I May. Wish I Might. Have The Wish. I Wish Tonight.

Guests are invited to enjoy a relaxing night underneath the eternal gaze of the stars. Walk down a sand covered path, set aglow by torchlight, and find yourself at our handmade observatory. Here, the night is filled with the whispers of wind against sand along with light classical music played from unseen speakers.

Day passed into night at Caravanserai. All around the hotel, guests explored its vast offerings. Some took refuge from the sun in its cool pools while others relished the heat, bathing in its warmth.

Newer guests would learn that Caravanserai remained just as active in its nighttime offerings. While the previous night highlighted an evening of concealed identities, tonight featured a rather laid-back event in comparison.

Caravanserai’s observatory was one of a kind. Though small, it offered a vast canvas of starlight in which to observe and marvel at. In order to reach its lounging area, one must walk through tight, ringed walls, composed entirely of brick, and up a few stairs. The passageway is tight so it only permits one person at a time rather than clusters of people.

Once one reaches the lounge area, they will find comfortable sitting and blankets if they become cold. An attendant stands at the ready to offer assistance if any is needed with the telescope. Binoculars are also available for viewing of the night sky. Handouts, detailing the basics of astronomy, will also be handed out to the observatory's visitors.

Strega

Name: Rafaela Camerino
Date | Time: June 7th, 8pm
Wearing: Simple Black Dress
Tagging: Open

No matter how spacious her suite could ever be, Rafaela would always feel like suffocating inside the concrete walls. She decided not to rest early tonight, even though the camel's gait still lingered all over her back, leaving a stiff sensation. She dressed up simply, just a plain black, silk dress, her hair styled in her usual garcon cupe and her dramatic black outline on her eyes, a habit she inherited from her stage years and could not get rid of.

She knew where the observatory was after studying the leaflet and she thought it would be lovely to experience such an extraordinary view of the stars amidst the vast desert . She walked through the ringed walls, just after a dimly lit passage adorned in exotic greenery and climbed up a few stairs in order to get there. She smiled politely to the assistant declining both his help and the astronomy handouts he was kindly offering her.

She strolled to the edge of the small observatory, and leaned on the brick ledge with her elbows resting on it. There was no one here yet. She gazed at the marvel overhead. Her eyes had a tint of a dream in them and they twinkled like the millions of stars above did. Unconsciously, she begun humming one of her favorite arias:

Che gelida manina,
se la lasci riscaldar.
Cercar che giova?

Al buio non si trova.

Ma per fortuna
é una notte di luna,
e qui la luna
labbiamo vicina.

RedPhoenix

Name: Becky Washington
Wearing: As pictured plus flowery maxi skirt and sandals.
Tagging: Rafaela, open

Normally being Becky was a great decision to make in the morning. Why be someone else when I can be me, Sober Becky often asked herself. But this morning, Sober Becky had to deal with the ramifications of letting Drunk Becky take over last night, and Sober Becky was frankly having none of it.

As a result Becky had laid in bed most of the day, drinking water, eating greasy cheesy things from room service and giggling at shows that weren't likely meant to be funny as they played on the giant tv in her room.

Toward the end of the day, Becky had had enough of that, thinking that she could be a lazy bum in a much cheaper bed, and rose to wander about the hotel grounds. Her style this evening was much simpler, although being Becky still took an hour or so to get ready, with a decently snug t-shirt that pronounced her love for the world, a flowing maxi-skirt that was extremely comfortable, and a pair of sandals that were about as close to going barefoot as she felt she could get away with. Tucking her keycard and phone into her bra, where they fit very easily, and deciding she didn't need anything else, she wandered out of her room about as happy go lucky as a girl could be, noticing it was already dark outside. Well, you know, who needed daylight?

She found she was just in time to wander to the observatory and stare at the stars. Now this was the sort of learning experience she was here for, she decided, and happily swayed her way to the narrow corridors (not something a Becky particularly enjoys dealing with, given how tight spaces tend to get much tighter when one is built like Becky), and finally emerged triumphantly in the much cozier looking lounge area.

"oooooh" she ooohed appreciatively and took a pamphlet and a blanket, wrapping it around her shoulders as she stared up at the night sky.

She heard a voice softly singing and wandered towards it, drawn as she tended to be to pretty things she smiled as the woman stopped singing.

Becky clapped her hands together softly. "Yayyy!" She whispered, feeling like she was in a library and not wanting to disturb people. "That was really pretty are you like a professional?" She said, already chatty. "Hi I'm Becky!" She extended a hand with a cheerful smile.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Strega

Tagging: Becky, Open

Rafaela was so drawn into the aria that she never realized someone had joined her in the observatory as well.

A soft clap of hands cut the thread of her daydream and she turn slowly around, following its sound. A stunning young woman was looking at her smiling cheerfully and extended her hand, saying her name was Becky. Her body language, her joy and youth were contradicting the almost lifeless demeanor of the former soprano. She reminded her of herself when she was younger and she felt a light fluttering inside of her.

Rafaela smiled back a contained smile that could not be compared to the beautiful woman's. She took her hand lightly into hers, and used the other one as well to cup it. Becky was warm both on the inside and the outside.

"Piacere, Becky. I am Rafaela. Not really, cara mia. I just love singing."

She smoothly let go of Becky's hand and resumed her stargazing. She addressed the young woman again, with a dreamy voice.

"The stars are lovely tonight, aren't they?"

With her eyes always at the sky, she asked Becky with a small smile;

"What song would you choose to dedicate to the stars tonight, Becky?"

RedPhoenix

Wow, this woman had a sexy voice, made all the moreso by how deftly that beautiful language danced out of it. Becky found herself less in need of her blanket than she'd anticipated.

"Yeah." She said glancing up. "They really are." She smiled at them. "It reminds me of home." She spoke wistfully, her simple country girl twang coming out as memories of lying in fields or on the hoods of cars and staring up at the stars came back to her. "You can't see any of this in L.A." She said, obviously just one of several issues she had with the city. "And I've been stuck there so long I almost forgot how when I was little I could see how dang pretty the sky is." She sighed happily, letting the memories and the beauty of it all wash over her for a moment.

At the next question though, Becky winced and leaned in a little, whispering as she glanced about as if Rafaela had just mentioned a deformity of hers. "Sweetie I'm American I don't know anything about actual art." She explained with an embarrassed whisper. Normally she'd proudly announce her love of Disney music and overly produced syrupy garbage but next to this woman who could actually sing in such a beautiful language she'd feel like the kid who rode the short bus expressing her musical tastes. "I think it's better if you pick." She said giving a cheesy grin.

Strega

"L.A. huh? I have lived in L.A. as well, for a few months and I know what you mean.
I grew up in a small south Italian village myself. Stars flooded the sky there like millions of fireflies. This night sky reminds me of home."

Rafaela sighed, a smile of reminiscence carved her lips. When was the last time she thought of her humble origins?
It seemed to her like this night sky was casting a spell on her and she fell lighter.

She turned her head slightly to face Becky again. She thought she sensed a flicker of... she wasn't sure but a little of negative aura, too subtle though since the young woman was the epitome of joy.

"Cara mia, art is in the most trivial of things. This starry sky is pure art. This oasis in the middle of this barren land is art. The desert itself is art. Us, two strangers meeting for the first time and talking like friends is art."

She was now looking at Becky's face with a gaze distant, yet focused, meaning every word she would say;

"You are art yourself, never allow anyone to claim anything different. And you owe me a song.", she added smiling.

RedPhoenix

Becky's mouth hung open a little at the second dose of cara mia. It was about the prettiest thing she'd ever heard and damn if it didn't put her in a mood to do something other than look at the stars! She couldn't take much more of that!

She swallowed. "Well ah," She said, a little out of sorts, gawking at Rafaela like she'd just emerged from the ocean and pronounced herself the goddess of love, "I ah," oh no, she couldn't admit it, it was just too silly and awkward and low class for this dazzling beauty. Quick! Think of something classy. Fuck! I don't know anything classy! Okay, how about just not from a cartoon movie? Nope! Nothing there either. Dammit.

"'A Whole New World' from Aladdin." She said, wincing and closing her eyes as if afraid to be struck by the woman for the foolishness of her answer.

Strega

Rafaela was now looking at Becky with wide eyes. That was an answer she did not anticipate. That particular song unearthed some treasured memories from more than a decade ago. She smiled, a smile wider than usual.

"What a fitting song!"

She closed her eyes and hummed the song's melody, before she started singing softly with her usual operatic style but a little milder now and not too dramatic:

Il mondo è tuo
con quelle stelle puoi giocar
nessuno ti dirà
che non si fa
è un mondo tuo per sempre

She opened up her eyes again, an expression of momentary happiness on her face.

"I am afraid I only know the Italian version of the song. I used to sing it to my niece every day, it was her favourite. But it has been so many years since I last sang with her, she must be a grown up little miss by now."

She looked at Becky now with gratitude. This young woman rippled the still waters of her being in just a few minutes.

"Thank you for the memories, signorina Becky. I had not realized how much I needed them."

LocusVonErich

Name: Joseph Edwards
Date | Time: 7 June 2020, 9 pm or so 
Wearing: As pictured
Tagging: Becky, Rafaela

Joseph Edwards had been in his suite since about six, bored. He had money and a residency in a lavish oasis...and he was bored. Getting up at 7 after flipping channels uselessly, he decided to go to the Observatory. As he dressed, the thought of James Dean crossed his mind.

Arriving at the Observatory a bit later, Joseph found Becky with the woman he had seen in the lobby that morning. He hadn't thought to get her name, but hearing her voice told him that she used to be in the Opera in some fashion. Waiting for a break in the words, Joseph would only come into the conversation after he was sure it wouldn't have been rude.

RedPhoenix

Becky had put a hand to her chest now, she seriously felt like she might swoon.

"Well that's about the best thing I've ever heard." She said to the woman with a very enthusiastic smile, fanning herself only sort of ironically. "I'm kinda relieved you even knew what I was talking about, and then didn't burst out laughing." She chuckled herself shaking her head. "But wow, you even sang it too."

She found herself in need of a distraction before she babbled and found one as she glanced up the stars. "So do you all believe in star signs over in Italy?" She glanced up looking for her constellation, not finding it right away. "I'm a Taurus." She said as if there was an implied 'duh' at the end of it.

Strega

Date | Time: June 7th, 9pm
Tagging: Becky, Joseph, Open

Rafaela chuckled with Becky's remark and overjoyed reaction. Her posture was more relaxed now, an elbow resting on the ledge and both her hands connected, her fingers entangled. She answered to Becky's comment lightheartedly.

"I am not an alien, cara mia! I almost feel insulted!"

Becky averted her gaze and locked her eyes on the stars, asking her about her starsign.

"We do. I am a Capricorn myself, but I do not know any more than that. Could you enlighten me, please?"

Rafaela spotted movement from the stairs leading up to the observatory. A man in a black, sharp suit was making his way towards them and for a moment their eyes met. She greeted him with courtesy and a subtle smile, her laid back conversation with Becky had relaxed her.

"Buonasera."

LocusVonErich

"And a good evening to you as well. Sorry, my Italian is not exactly what you'd call...existent." Joseph would laugh at the quip made at his own expense. "As far as those star signs go, it's a racket. 'Good Day, [insert sign here], you are [basic human trait]', they print in the newspapers in blurbs by the Dear Abby column. Sorry, my momma bought heavily into that sort of thing to justify her behavior." His own American Southern lilt appeared in his miniature rant, especially in reference to his matriarch. "Would you care to make introductions, Miss Becky?"

RedPhoenix

Becky smiled at Rafaela and was about to happily answer her questions but then Jospeh had to interrupt with his know-it-all-isms. She sighed and closed her eyes, feeling a headache forming already.

"This is Rafaela," she gestured towards the woman, "Rafaela this is Joseph, if you ever don't want to hear his opinion on something he'll gladly give it." She said a bit snidely.

"Anyway," she said emphasizing the word, "Capricorns focus on their careers, they want to scale to great heights and push themselves hard to do it." She smiled at Rafaela. "Seems like it fits you pretty well." She said. There was something about the woman that said she was unfulfilled yet had done things that many would consider their goals and then some, a sort of mix of accomplishment and frustration that you'd never find in someone like Becky. "Us Tauruses on the other hand we do the same but when it comes to love. I guess that explains why I'm divorced my standards are just too darn high." She said with a tone that made it very clear she didn't really think she was the problem.

"Now if you and me were to start dating." She said with a twinkle in her eye. "It would go well at first because we don't really like to take risks, we like nice things, and we'd feel safe with each other. But then it would get boring, see you'd think I was lazy and I'd think you were too high strung. It would only work if I could convince you to be happy with what you've already got and you could convince me to actually take a chance and go after something career wise." Becky laughed a little, "Which I'm just gonna say now, good luck with that." Yeah that wasn't happening, Becky knew herself too well.

She sighed melodramatically, shaking her head. Their marriage was over before it had begun. Such tragedy.

She paused then idly added, glancing up 'innocently' as she did. "We make for a great casual fling though." She glanced back as if she'd just been asked for further explanation. "Oh no, really." She smiled. "Us Tauruses are very good at helping you Capricorns learn to take a break and appreciate what's around you."

She glanced up at the stars, and the natural beauty of the observatory. "Which you know, if you don't mind me saying, seems like something you could use." She grinned at the woman, playful, friendly, and inviting all at once. "Unless you know, you think all that sounds like a 'racket'." She said smugly.

Strega

Rafaela was looking at both Joseph and Becky now, feeling a hint of "bad energy" between them, at least from Becky's side. That girl was too straightforward. She was eyeing Joseph in an attempt to decipher his expression. Was he insulted by that or they were some sort of... friends?

"Piacere, signore Joseph."

Seeing as Becky was about to start a lecture regarding star signs, she felt a little uneasy on Joseph's behalf but could not be rude to either of them, so her glances were divided to both and not solemnly on Becky. She listend to the young woman with enthusiasm, as she appeared to be really into astrology and chuckled softly as she was already dooming a possible relationship between them.

"I think that you have already helped me take a break and appreciate what is around me, signora Becky.", she said with a small smile curling her lips.

"You are very knowledgeable on this subject! What about signore Joseph's star sign?"

LocusVonErich

Joseph would let out a snide chuckle in response to her comment. It wasn't completely wrong. "Maybe if I walk around as the Phantom, I won't be as subject to Miss Becky's barbs." His own return salvo had a bit of jest underlying it's snide reach. "The twelfth of October, Miss Becky. What's my sign?" This line was delivered without sarcasm, as he was legitimately curious as to her interpretation.

RedPhoenix

Tagging: Rafaela, Joseph, open

To Rafaela she smiled, "You're very welcome." She said simply.

Becky gave Joseph a friendly grin. "Oh I'll always barb you." She said with a fond smile, resisting the urge to reach out and ruffle his hair.

"He's a Libra." She said simply, smiling at the man as she astrologically examined him, speaking aside to Rafaela as if giving her tips on him. "He's a peacekeeper. He wants balance, or maybe justice, depending on how you see it." She smiled a little. "He's looking for a lifelong mate, even if he doesn't realize it. And once he finds her he'll do anything for her."

She cocked her head to one side, "How'd I do?"

LocusVonErich

"Maybe that makes me a masochist then." Joseph replied as while her ideas of him liking justice and all that jazz were not so far off, the lifelong mate thing was against his style. Women were a pursuit to him, not a passion. His musical work was his greatest passion, and to him, love could never be a magnum opus.

Strega

"My first husband was a Libra. But I hardly remember any of our life together in order to test the accuracy of your words."

Rafaela, felt amused by Becky's proud lectures on zodiac signs and personality unraveling. Joseph on the other hand was a different thing. He was looking kind of distant and not genuinely friendly, at least to her eyes. But it has been years since she had last casualy chatted with anyone other than her very few close friends and she did not trust herself to be a good judge of character.

"Why would it be masochistic to be looking for a life partner?"

LocusVonErich

"Because there's no such thing. Men and women are fleeting at best. Love is not and cannot be a magnum opus." Joseph responded earnestly. "As much as you try...we are all but ships in the night. And we're all sailing rudderlessly, Miss Rafaela." Yikes, that felt a bit darker than he had hoped.

RedPhoenix

Becky winced. "Oooh yeah. Libra and Capricorn don't mix well at all." She shook her head. "Not surprising."

She listened to Joseph's dark ramblings with a roll of her eyes. The man really was a buzzkill at times. "See, he's off balance. He hasn't found his mate yet. And the process has been painful." She concluded. "So he's concluded that it's impossible for everyone to spare himself the pain of trying again." She shrugged. "A lot of people do that."

Strega

"Magnus opus... Quite a grand way to diminish someone's desire for love. And you are talking to someone who has been married 3 times herself."

Rafaela looked at Betty now, her remark about a second chance gave her the impression that the young woman had already tasted a first bitter pill of marriage life. She knew perfectly well how that felt, especially if you had made the mistake to tie the knot young.

"My first husband was insufferable, but I was too young, too much in love and he was my one way ticket out to the life I was able to lead later. Thanks to him I was able to pursuit my dream and cultivate the only gift I was blessed with. It turns out that this is the only thing I am grateful to him. Otherwise he was just a... how do you say that in the US?"

She faux thought of the word for a little, a sarcastic little smile on her face.

"A total dick, that's the word. But I never stopped giving second chances to love."

She turned to Joseph again, her style laid back but her words iron willed. She was thinking of all the dramatic heroines she incarnated in all the opera plays. Love's turmoil, love's victory, love's doom. Everything was about love, every verse ever sung, every poem ever written, every melody that was ever composed. People died for love and love could resurrect.

"Love is the most mystical of life forces. If money can make the world go round, I believe that love can make the world stop and turn the other way."

LocusVonErich

"I've had companions. I've laughed and loved. I've spent fifteen years writing songs for everyone else. I can't say that I've been able to marry, but that's my own fault. My life has been my work. It's not opera, but I've made something. I'm also a dick too." Joseph would self-depreciate and laugh. "Love may be powerful, but it's nothing compared to what passion. Without passion, love is impossible."

RedPhoenix

Becky was sympathetic as Rafaela spoke. "Yeah I know part of that story." She leaned and gave the woman a close, warm hug. "I'll tell you the rest of my version sometime." She meant when there weren't any men around, but didn't say it outloud.

"Well, I'm not really in the mood for dicks at the moment." She said, meaning it in every way possible. "I think I'm gonna find some tea." She glanced towards one of the attendants.

Strega

Rafaela was a little startled by Becky's directness and although she did not respond to her hug with the same warmth, she smiled at the gesture.

"If only my husbands told me that they were dicks from the start, they would have saved me half the trouble. And half my life.", she said at Joseph sarcastically and with a tint of sadness.

"Passion is nice, but it is only a flicker. It cannot keep your life warm, except momentarily."

She opened her purse, getting a cigarette and her silver lighter. She lit it up and inhaled once, looking at Joseph, intrigued by his involvement in music.

"And what kind of music do you compose, signore Joseph?"