Caravanserai [The Lotus Restaurant | Calypso’s Bar]

Started by Flower, July 08, 2018, 08:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steffy

Steffy Danielle Dubois, Adventurer
Date | Time: post check-in, changed, bar time
Wearing: Summer dress
Tagging: KvR, Joseph Edwards, and anyone else wandering by

So Kati works hard at spending money.  She doesn’t seem like a candidate to establish the ganja supply trail, but she does seem like pleasant company for an adventure.  Maybe she knows the rich and famous.

I tease Joseph.  “In our midst was a competitor to your business dealings, Kati—the rich girl, and we, at least you and I, didn’t even know.  (Sigh).  I guess we’ll just have to stick with the original bargain.” 

“Now Kati, you’re not one of those idle rumormongers are you?   There’s really going to be a welcome shindig?  I did pack for such things.  I’m prepared.  How about you?”

I look at Joseph.  “I wonder if it’s like a cruise, dress for dining at the captain’s table.  Tuxes for men.  I hope so.  Very chic.  You can carry off chic, right Joseph?”

LocusVonErich

Name: Joseph Edwards
Date | Time: 6 June 2020, mid-afternoon
Wearing: White khakis, white button down shirt with sleeves rolled to the elbow and the buttons only buttoned up to the solar plexus
Tagging: Steffy, Käti, Open

"I think the terms we've agreed to are more than fair. After all, spending money doesn't mean anything if you don't have people lined up to use it." Joseph replied, reciprocating Steffy's tone. "Even then, Käti isn't a competitor, but rather a partner. Besides, I bet she has contacts where I don't, and vice versa..." Joseph would kill off his cocktail, and take a few more bites of Hummus.

Joseph checked his watch, 5:15 pm. "If there is some type of to do, I imagine that it'll be starting within the next couple of hours...maybe if we go to our rooms, we'll find out more. Possibly." He would sip his soda, rubbing the condensation of the glass on his face to try and cool off. "As for chic...you may have to find that out for yourself." He would give her a wink and a grin before looking off into the distance.

Jaclyn

Name: Katrina “Käti” von Roissy
Date | Time: June 6, 2020. later in the afternoon
Wearing: Blue, warm weather onesie
Tagging: Steffy Dubois, Joseph Edwards, Open

… bit more of the hummus and pita  …

  “There was a sign at the front desk. But I'll party tonight whether or not there's a group thing.”

… what to wear? …

  “I always carry a couple of LBDs because you never know what might come up. And dinner at the Captain's table isn't what it's cracked up to be. Some of those guys are barely suitable company after they've been at sea too long, and others won't even shake hands!

Steffy

I smile.  “A deal made is a deal made.  We’ll stick with it Joseph.”

Kati explains about being shipboard and the captain’s table.  (Smile).  “Don’t get me wrong.  I wouldn’t want to sit at the table.  Like you say boring.  But I really think tuxes are dreamy.”  I wink at Joseph, “If you want to be in my and Kati’s good graces Joseph, I say you in a tux is a must!”  I don’t know if Kati is a team player on such things, but I guess I’ll see. 

I nod at the lbd comment.  “I figured you for a veteran traveler and the lbd, being blonde and all especially.  I’ll keep mine in my suitcase.  Some color to show off my eyes maybe.  And something short—cool in this hot weather.  Essential.”

Everything is tasting good.  By my count, I’ve munched on three chocolates, some hummus, the meat and now I rescue the cucumber from my drink, taking a bite of that.

LocusVonErich

Date | Time: 6 June 2020, mid-afternoon
Wearing: White khakis, white button down shirt with sleeves rolled to the elbow and the buttons only buttoned up to the solar plexus
Tagging: Steffy, Käti, Open

"I haven't even been on a cruise ship before, so I'll defer to your experience there." Joseph chimed in with a hesitant laugh as the two women talked about captain's tables and such things. Yet another show of him being what they would call noveau riche "Well, you'll have to wait and see until this party whether or not I am able to wear a tux...gotta keep some element of surprise after all. Though we should probably finish up our own little affair here and go get ready soon." Joseph would grab the last piece of pita and swirl it in the remnant of hummus left on the plate. The sun-dried tomatoes were definitely a good call, mixed in with just a hint of bell pepper of spice.

Jaclyn

Date | Time: June 6, 2020. later in the afternoon
Wearing: Blue, warm weather onesie
Location: The Mirage Bar, out on the patio and heading back inside. Maybe soon visit the fortune teller!
Tagging: Steffy Dubois, Joseph Edwards, Open

… lick my fingers and wipe them on the little napkin …

  “Oh you should Joseph. Cruise I mean. The big ships are floating cities and the little ones stop at such nice little places. I took a month-long cruise on the canals in France. A different hotel every night and these wonderful wines that never make it out of the villages.”

… is she dissing my LBDs? ... meh ... never cared what anyone thought before so not going to start now …

  “Ready to head back inside? I'm going to go in and freshen my drink and roam around a bit and see what else is going on. Coming?”

…  carry my mostly empty drink toward the door back into the bar …

Steffy

This was a very pleasant time.  And profitable.

Kati saunters away.  I sip my drink, leaving just a bit in the glass.  “So Joseph it appears we may rendezvous at this get-together.  I look forward to it. . . . especially to see if you are tux or no tux.  ‘Til then!”  I take his hand and stretch a bit to kiss his cheek.

I exit the bar, pause, uncertain of the direction of my room, decide it’s left and head that way.

Flower

The party was a huge success. Most enjoyed themselves into the wee hours of the morning. Some even continued to party in their private rooms after the main hall closed its doors. Their employees were not ghouls, after all. Rest, even if only a few hours, was a requirement. All in all, opening night was a grand one.

In preparation of hungry and possibly hungover guests, Mirage opened its doors early. Breakfast was a varied affair. At one station, there were prepared hot foods, such as sausage links, pancakes, and scrambled eggs. At another people could make their own waffles, either original, cinnamon, or banana nut flavored. At the cold station, fresh fruit of all types were piled into baskets along with a yogurt and other delights. There was also a ‘made to order’ station, where a chef was frying up some omelettes, french toast, and other quick but tasty meals. Those who were feeling more adventurous could enjoy a more local fare as they were scattered across each station. Guests could enjoy manakeesh, seared liver, or even a falafel breakfast sandwich.

Mimosas and Bloody Marys were also available.

It was a busy night for Chef Vinnie but he wasn't complaining this morning. Unusual hours were commonplace for him. He was often the first awake and the last to fall asleep. He ran his kitchen with authority but didn't feel the need to scream at someone for making a mistake. Doing so often resulted in botched nerves and a shit day. This morning, he only had a few assistants to help him run the kitchen and ensure each station remained stocked.

The day was a beautiful one, at first glance. However, there was an extreme heat warning as the day was hotter than usual. Guests wouldn't be allowed to stray far from Caravanserai.

LocusVonErich

Date | Time: 7 June 2020, 9:00 AM, or a few minutes after
Wearing: Black jeans, white t-shirt
Tagging: Open

Joseph Edwards went to bed alone after his wild night at Caravanserai's Masquerade Ball. No longer The Phantom, he was Just Joseph Edwards. A very hungover Joseph Edwards. The sun shone brightly through the large windows of his suite, and he had awoke about 45 minutes ago. Finally forcing himself from the most luxurious and comfortable bed he had ever slept on, he was dressed exactly as he had been born. His gait was a bit more of a creep as he walked into a shower that could comfortably hold three people.

After a quick, cool shower, Joseph would dress in a white t-shirt and black jeans, feeling much more comfortable with the more simplicity of the fashion. Grabbing the mostly crumpled box of cigarettes, he found that he had a grand total of...one. Stepping onto the patio of his suite, he would enjoy the luxury of his vice. Having done so, he would leave his suite for the Mirage bar.

Once inside, he saw a rather lavish breakfast buffet laid out. Solid food would be nice, but he felt the need to settle in first. Finding a corner, he would gravitate to it and get comfortable.

HockeyGod

Name: Brandon Murphy
Date | Time: June 7th, morning
Wearing:  Work uniform (as pictured)

Brandon spent the morning serving up bloody marys, mimosas and other drinks. One of his personal favorites was the Kir Royale and it's cousins - Kir Pétillant, Kir Impérial, Ribena, Tarantino, and Pink Russian. Most guests stuck with the bloody Mary or mimosa for their breakfast cocktail of choice. Then again, being in a tropical climate they were able to get access to any number of fresh fruits for smoothies and juices. Orange juice was the most common, but pineapple and apple came in close behind it. There was always the fruit cocktail - a mixture of several juices and a small amount of spritzer.

Another beautiful day in paradise for the guests with good food and good drinks...

sonamyfan

Name: Adrian
Date | Time: June 7th | Morning
Wearing: A black hoodie, black sweatpants, and black sneakers.

Adrian went in his room and unpacked. Then, he went downstairs for breakfast. He looked around and got some food for himself. He sat by himself at one of the tables and started to eat.

Jaclyn

Wearing: This cool outfit.
Location: Hallway leading to the breakfast area, bar at breakfast area
Tagging: Bartender, Ryo Kang-Dae, Rafaela Camerino, Open
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

… a woman enters and sits at the bar … seems distant … maybe tired from travel … and the cute, young man …

… the young man seems to know the woman … he mentions journey via camel … asks about breakfast …

  “I haven’t looked at the menu yet, but this is a very worthy Bloody Maria!”

… hold up my almost empty glass …

  “A Bloody Mary except made with tequila. I’m Käti by the way. I arrived yesterday and survived a very boring masked ball last night after three days on a most charming camel. Glad both are over though leaving may be undesirable for a few days at least, get the smell out of my brain.”

…wave to the bartender …

  “Menus please. My friends here need beverages and I’ll have another of these lovely Bloody Marias.”

… menus are distributed and he turns to take their order …

Loiosh

Name: Ryo Kang-Dae
Date | Time: 7 June 2020 | Morning
Wearing: As pictured
Tagging: Katrina / Rafaela / Bartender / Open

Ryo was delighted to see Rafaela’s laughter although he wasn’t quite sure what he had said that was quite so amusing.  People in his social circle back in LA often found things he said funny without him necessarily understanding why and he had gotten used to it.  Her beauty and glamour were greatly magnified by the amazing smile.  He smiled and bobbed his head to the two ladies.

Piacere di conoscerti entrambi,” he said trying out his rusty Italian.  He smiled sheepishly and resumed in English.  “I won’t inflict any more on you, I’m afraid my accent is very bad,” he said with a smile.  “It is a great pleasure to meet you in person, Signorina Camerino.  I am a huge fan of your work.”

“I’m also becoming a fan of yours, Käti. That drink sounds amazing,” He didn’t have a lot of experience with cocktails and it was very early to be drinking but he loved a good marguerite.  He decided to throw caution to the wind.  When in Rome, and all that.

“I’ll have a Bloody Maria as well, please,” he asked the bartender as the man dropped the menus off.

Strega

Name: Rafaela Camerino
Date | Time: June 7th 2020 | Morning
Wearing: As depicted
Tagging: Ryo / Katrina / Anyone at the bar / Open

Rafaela wiped a small tear that escaped her eye. "Forgive me. It was the spontaneity of your introduction and the genuine delight in your voice, as well as my equally uncomfortable experience with the camels." The young man emanated a joyful aura, he was a delight to the eye.

"Your Italian is better than mine, caro mio. Piacere.", she said as she was opening her purse, taking out a silver cigarette case. She placed a cigarette  in between her fingers and left her purse on the counter. When he mentioned being a fan of hers, Rafaela's spark faded out instantly. She smiled politely, and returned to her usual dreamlike state. The young man moved her with his compliment, it was authentic and filled with pure admiration. Her eyes became slightly more watery. Her past seemed centuries behind but there still were admirers of her work.

"Grazie. That means a lot to me.", she said smiling and looking at him with her enigmatic eyes."I will have the same as well, and a lighter per favore.", said to the bartender.

"I would be honoured to know your name, signore.", he said as the bartender was lighting her cigarette.

HockeyGod

Name: Brandon Murphy
Wearing:  Work uniform (as pictured)

Brandon continued to work the bar, creating drinks for the patrons to enjoy with their breakfast. He nodded with a smile to Käti, while giving menus to new guests. He then quickly prepared another Bloody Maria. He added to the mix to prepare one for Ryo. Brandon added on a third one for Rafaela.

It was going to be another glorious day in Caravanserai and the guests were already well on their way to enjoying it.

Jaclyn

Tagging: Bartender Brandon Murphy, Ryo Kang-Dae, Rafaela Camerino, Open

… they both accept the suggestion on the bloody … all good … I cruise the menu  …

  “Oh this looks yummy! May I please have this Libyan Egg Potato Omelet, raja’. And coffee. Fiercest you have!”

… turn to see what my barmates will choose …

Levi

Name: Lalita Cheema
Date | Time: June 7th 2020,  Late Morning
Wearing: green sari
Tagging: Brandon - open

Lalita awoke later then usual the following morning, the night before had been long and exhausting but the guests had seemed to truly enjoy themselves and even though the hotel had just opened today was the young woman's well earnt day off, so a little lie in was well and truly justified. The brunette rose, washed and dressed and left the staff quarters entering though the main reception she  noticed that Reese was manning the desk effectively. The female smiled and sailed on through the hotel until she reached the breakfast area.

Several guests from the day before were already up and about and there were a few new faces already, business was certainly picking up. Even though she didn't need to Lalita walked quietly to the side of the bar and flagged down Brandon the efficient bar tender. Leaning forwards she kept her voice low and asked "Do you need any help?".
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Loiosh

Tagging: Katrina / Rafaela / Bartender / Open

Something told Ryo he hadn’t struck quite the right note in complimenting Rafaela’s work.  She seemed gracious enough in her thanks but the smile was a little forced, her gaze suddenly a little distant.  She remained gracious however and the thanks seemed genuine, if touched with a note of sadness.  He felt a warmth rising from his neck which grew hotter when he accidentally knocked over the salt shaker reaching for a menu.

He laughed, now openly embarrassed as he picked up the shaker and brushed the stray grains of salt into a neat little pile.  At least the potential tension had been defused.  “Perhaps I should pick something a little less adventurous for breakfast.  Can I get some fruit and an order of toast please?”

Jaclyn

Tagging: Bartender Brandon Murphy, Rafaela Camerino, Ryo Kang-Dae, Open

… how strange! … what a [peculiar woman … why is she persecuting the young man? …

  “Okay! Um, goodbye.”

… sip of my drink and turn to the young man …

  “Are you okay? I’m sorry, I didn’t get your name. I’m Käti, short for Katrina.”

… detect movement out the corner of my eye …

  “Oh good. Here’s food. I want to walk around today and explore this place. It’s bigger than it seems from the inside, or at least that’s what it seemed when we came down off the last dune when I arrived.”

… the breakfast smells delicious …

Loiosh

Tagging: Katrina  / Rafaela / Bartender / Open

Ryo smiled, ducked his head and mumbled something unintelligible in a self-deprecating tone as Rafaela touched him.  The gesture surprised him and he had this sudden sense of incredible loneliness and distance that spoke to the dark pit of his own despair locked deep down inside.  Here was someone else hurting.  He seemed to find his voice as she got up to leave.  “It was a pleasure to meet you,” he said, feeling the utter inadequacy of the words.  He stared after here for a long still moment and felt the tears threatening to come on again in force.  Not now, he said to himself.  Not here.

“Are you okay?”  Ryo shook his head, suddenly remembering his other companion.  “ I’m sorry, I didn’t get your name. I’m Käti, short for Katrina.”  Just like that the feeling was gone.  Käti’s vibrant and cheerful voice brought him back to the present.  The hurt had receded back into murky depths.  He felt an eagerness to move on quickly and leave it there.

“I'm fine, Käti.  My name is Ryo,” he said.  “It is short enough for most purposes,” he said with a thin smile.  He grabbed the drink that had appeared as if by magic while he was turned and threw back several large swallows.  His smile broadened a little as he looked at the drink in his hand.   That was tasty!  He took another more measured sip.

“Oh good. Here’s food,”  Käti, said.   Ryo settled back into his seat and took a bite of one of the luscious looking strawberries and gestured to the bartender for another drink.  He was extremely hungry, he suddenly realized as he started to work his way into bowl of fruit.  “I want to walk around today and explore this place. It’s bigger than it seems from the inside, or at least that’s what it seemed when we came down off the last dune when I arrived.”   Ryo chuckled, starting to feel a nice warm full feeling.

“I would love to accompany you, if you would allow it,” he said.  He gestured at the plate in front of him with a grin.  “Once we are properly fortified for the journey that is.”

Jaclyn

Tagging: Bartender Brandon Murphy, Ryo Kang-Dae, Open

… Ryo agrees to go walking … remarks on fortifying ourselves …

  “Certainly on the fortifying. Want to ask at the front desk if there’s a place to walk to safely and have lunch? I bet they’d pack us some sandwiches and water. Maybe trudge to the top of one of the dunes and get a birds eye view of this place?”

… signal the bartender for another drink … and savor the eggs … nice seasoning! …

Loiosh

Tagging: Katrina  / Bartender / Open

Ryo’s second drink arrived as Käti ordered and he took a sip.  A pleasant warm full feeling was rising up from his stomach as he nibble at the toast and bowl of fruit.  He felt separated from the journey now.  He felt like he should be tired but the dust, thirst and hunger were fading into not quite a memory and he felt ready for anything.  He felt himself very much in the present in a way he had not since he started his travels.

“That sounds wonderful,” he said cheerfully.  “I arrived rather early and did not get a good look at the grounds.”  He took another drink and studied his companion.  She reminded him a bit of a girl from his social circle back in LA who was always proposing fun, strange activities to go do.  Ryo has usually tried to demur, feeing out of place in Southern California and unsure of new experiences but she was the type that usually got her way. 

Ryo chuckled, remembering a particular weekend the group of them went hiking in Sequoia National Park.  He had never really been outside much back home and never away from a city.  He remembered the awe and the utter sense of both isolation and connection.  It was the beginning of what wold turn into full bore wanderlust as he looked forward to each weekend to see what Lina had in store next. 

Käti seemed to have that same kind of energy and Ryo felt an overwhelming urge to wrap himself up in it.  He finished his second drink and popped a last bit of melon into his mouth.

“Where are you from, if I may ask?”

Jaclyn

… and good, he’s agreeable to roaming around outside … my fresh drink arrives … take a sip and turn back to my companion …

  “So where are you from? And what brings you out here to the middle of the worlds biggest sandbox?”

… take the last bite I want of the eggs … yummy but too much …

Loiosh

Tagging: Katrina  / Open

“I’m from Seoul,” Ryo said.  “Originally that is.  I haven’t been back in a couple of years, though.  I was going to school in Los Angeles until…”  Ryo stared off toward the mirror behind the bar and saw his mouth hanging open, wondering how to complete the sentence.  He coughed to cover his hesitation and took another big swallow of his drink.  He returned his attention to Käti.

“Sorry,” he said with an embarrassed smile that felt a little too forced but the feeling quickly passed.  Other than that topic he was enjoying talking about himself to an interested listener.  “I decided to get a more worldly education and travel around a bit.  This…” he gestured expansively at the lavish surroundings, “is something of a graduation present to myself before I go back home.  I thought I would find something as far from the big city as I could.”

Ryo finished his drink and debated ordering another.  There was a pleasant buzz going and he felt more relaxed than he had in a long time.  One more maybe.  Probably shouldn't, though.  He hadn't had much alcohol since he left LA and he had not had tons of tolerance for it even then.  Ryo watched his hand signal again the bartender as if tired of waiting for the internal argument to conclude.

"And you," he said with a grin.  "What brings you to the middle of the desert?"

Jaclyn

… so Korean …  Käti knew Pacific rim but his English had only a small hint that it was his second language … and he’s unable or unwilling to share something … not that it matters … maybe he fled … not unlike what Käti had done … but that’s her whole life … he asks why she’s here …

  “Gotta get away, y’know. I was in Monaco and it was boring so I flipped a coin between here and Seychelles. Or maybe it was the Maldives, I don’t remember. I’ll gp to one of those next. Monaco was race car drivers and catty women and too much blow.”

… she thinks a moment …

  “Blow. Nose candy. Cocaine. And other shit. People so bored that they don’t even try to wake up until they get their first line. Not that I mind, y’know. But too much all the time is, well, too much. So I take time away from all that and do nature. Or whatever that is out there. all that sand and more sand and more sand. I took the long way here, on a camel. I was able to detox on the way and now it’s just booze which I can handle.”

… she signals the bartender for another … her last for a while … thinks about what to wear for the walk … remembers the desert gear that Fatima insisted she get … so that for outerwear and the desert boots … those were great on the sand though hot … and a day pack with water …