What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

That's not cool brah >: we're not living in the 50's any more.

Hemingway

... Oh. Oh, I see what you did there.

And I know we're not living in the 50s. If we did I could wear a hat without looking weird!

Edit: Every time I play Civilization 5, other nations eventually just gang up on me. I'm too peaceful, I swear. I mean, I can defend myself, no problem, but it gets tedious. So now I'm gonna play as the Chinese, and I'm going to conquer the world. All of it. I will not stop. I will see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.

That is good.

Inkidu

Well it's basically a one-hit-kill in all but name. You get hit by one shadow pack, you stagger, wash, rinse, repeat, rage-quit.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Are there RTS games where wars are like actual wars? Instead of two masses of units converging until one side dies, is there stalemates with border skirmishes and small uprisings? Think the Nazi's occupying France, while a few states over you have your border fighting occasional resistance as it's probed and you just know an actual push is coming.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on February 20, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Are there RTS games where wars are like actual wars? Instead of two masses of units converging until one side dies, is there stalemates with border skirmishes and small uprisings? Think the Nazi's occupying France, while a few states over you have your border fighting occasional resistance as it's probed and you just know an actual push is coming.
Rise of Nations and Battle for Middle Earth come to mind. Mostly, the doctrine of the RTS game is founded in how many bases a person has.

To elaborate, the elder RTS typically had one command structure. The Construction Yard from Command and Conquer comes to mind, and sure you could build another Con Yard eventually, but mostly you stuck to one base and built up around it. This tends to lead to large rushes and focused tactics.

More modern RTS games try to break this by having it possible to build and easily manage multiple bases. Battle for Middle Earth for instance had sites. They were fixed control points on the map and you fought for control. So just because your opponent uses all his impressive power to wipe out your settlement doesn't mean you can't beat a tactical retreat and circle around and hamstring him from another.

Or... you can take the illustrious third option. Build enough mammoth tanks/avatars/tripod walkers/nukes that the idea of land becomes ultimately meaningless. I'll give you one guess as to which is the most popular.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lirliel

What you are looking for Sabby is Hearts of Iron 3, it deals with basically WW2, but it does have all those things, small border skirmishes, uprisings from rebels etc.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Sabby

Found True Crime: Streets of New York at JB Hifi, for 3 dollars. Couldn't resist. I remember LA being a decond rental. I hope this doesn't suck...

Heaven Sent Blossom

Is New York the one where you could randomly fall through the floor? Or was that 50 Cent's Bullet Proof?
I forget, I've played so very many terrible games that they all start to bleed into one another eventually.

In entirely unrelated news *coughs* I ended up finishing Kingdoms of Amalur with 61 hours on the clock, I'm not sure exactly how that happened but the combat was solid enough and more RPG's should give serious consideration to going to the God of War well for their mechanics. The story was totes forgettable, although their Fae gimmick was pretty cool (House of Ballads specifically), but there really weren't any other high points.
Now it's time to finish off Shadows of the Damned, which is basically a better Resident Evil in every way that matters.

Quote from: Hemingway on February 20, 2012, 11:12:39 AMIn other news, I managed to get my hands on Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It was surprisingly cheap, and I didn't even buy it used, so I'm happy.
It's such a cool game despite it's flaws. Although I do think they missed a trick not having Gabriel Belmont headbutt a werewolf so Robert Carlisle could better understand the character he was voicing.

LunarSage

I just finally beat Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.  I have to say that while the story was decent, I wish the game had been longer.  I feel a bit cheated by the length of it compared to Ultimate Alliance one.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Picked up Dwarf Fortress and the Lazy Newb kit. So, we'll see. Other than that I'm not playing much, just Skyrim.

Hemingway

A Norwegian gaming site had an article today concerning rumors of a new Metal Gear game on the horizon ( not Rising ). It's just rumors, but apparently there have been some ideas floating around. One of them, apparently, according to this article, was a game about The Boss and the Cobra Unit during WW2.

I ...

I'd like a game like that.

I would.

Yeah.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Inkidu

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress lasted all of three seconds. I'm sure it's fun for some people, but I need to be engaged on some level. :P

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Hemingway on February 22, 2012, 04:42:50 PM
A Norwegian gaming site had an article today concerning rumors of a new Metal Gear game on the horizon ( not Rising ). It's just rumors, but apparently there have been some ideas floating around. One of them, apparently, according to this article, was a game about The Boss and the Cobra Unit during WW2.

I ...

I'd like a game like that.

I would.

Yeah.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

This is probably stemming from the picture(s?) that surfaced a little while back that at first had people speculating it would be about Liquid during his soldier of fortune days, then it turned to the notion that the protagonist in the picture looked too slender to be Liquid so it might very well be The Boss.
I know that's the way it all got started on the Penny Arcade forums anyway, whether more concrete news has dropped since I don't know.
I should probably play MGS 4 at some point, but after dabbling with the demo I doubt I will. And Rising I don't know about either, I know Platinum got involved to save it but Platinum without the direction of Kamiya or Mikami? I don't know how confident I am in them there.
Of course if they were to be making a game centred around the exploits of Boss and the Cobra Unit then I would probably throw caution to the wind and my money at a retailer. Same goes for anything involving Liquid or FOXHOUND pre MGS1.

LunarSage

Am I the only one who likes Solid Snake more than Big Boss?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Hemingway

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on February 23, 2012, 03:45:49 AM
This is probably stemming from the picture(s?) that surfaced a little while back that at first had people speculating it would be about Liquid during his soldier of fortune days, then it turned to the notion that the protagonist in the picture looked too slender to be Liquid so it might very well be The Boss.
I know that's the way it all got started on the Penny Arcade forums anyway, whether more concrete news has dropped since I don't know.
I should probably play MGS 4 at some point, but after dabbling with the demo I doubt I will. And Rising I don't know about either, I know Platinum got involved to save it but Platinum without the direction of Kamiya or Mikami? I don't know how confident I am in them there.
Of course if they were to be making a game centred around the exploits of Boss and the Cobra Unit then I would probably throw caution to the wind and my money at a retailer. Same goes for anything involving Liquid or FOXHOUND pre MGS1.

MGS 4 is a good game, if you don't mind that it's the most nihilistic and depressing piece of gaming I've ever seen. It's probably the most straight-forward and predictable of the games, though. At least until the end. But it's also a massive fan service, from beginning to end.

Still, doesn't come close to Snake Eater.

Sabby

Hey. Why did the two AI Cores break up?

They needed SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! =D

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on February 23, 2012, 09:14:19 AM
Hey. Why did the two AI Cores break up?

They needed SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! =D
*Dies from the horrible joke* X__X

Sabby

Just tried 007: The World is Not Enough, on a Nintendo 64 Emulator.

Oh, no, I didn't mean Goldeneye. There was another Bond game on the N64. It has ragdoll. Yes, ragdoll. That's how far it pushes the N64 hardware.

Hemingway

I bought Wargame: European Escalation more or less on a whim. It's a game I didn't really know about until a week ago, and it was released either yesterday or today. It's one of those semi-indie games that don't cost as much as the major titles on release, so I also didn't have to feel very bad about buying it.

But I wouldn't anyway. I haven't been playing it for very long, but it looks very decent. It's an RTS ( hey, I've been wanting one of those ) that's less about building up a massive force as possible ( though some people say multiplayer is all rushing, others say rushing is a really bad tactic because it has the chance of backfiring spectacularly ) and micromanaging, and more about scouting, planning and thinking. It's not, in other words, a game that you win or lose based on your ability to do things very quickly. StarCraft, I'm looking at you.

Did I mention it has a Cold War setting, and includes eight different countries split between two sides? That's kinda cool. I just like being able to play a side that isn't the good old US of A.

Edit: I've been playing a bit more WEE ( that's Wargame: European Escalation, for those who aren't part of the clique ), and it seems what's being said about rushing being risky is no understatement. Apparently it's quite common to rush with helicopters, but I've seen what anti-air does to them, and it's not pretty. It's not like some games where if you just have enough, anti-air gets totally swamped. If there are good anti-air units in the area, air units get torn to shreds before even getting in range.

I haven't had much experience against tanks, but I did have some of my own tanks get ripped apart by infantry hidden in a building. Again, not pretty.

Inkidu

If it's aiming to be realistic, and if you took your tanks into an urban center. Then yes, they'd get torn apart, and you would be brought up on charges of gross negligence as commander (and you're going to have to write all those letter to all those virtual wives telling them their husband and their childrens' fathers aren't coming home. Way to go, general).

Tanks are incredibly vulnerable in urban environments. In that kind of environ I imagine even an Abrams could be taken out with a half dozen Molotov cocktails. Use long-range artillery possibly some kind of anti-vehicle infantry if you have to to neutralize the building.  Ideally, you would use bombers or copters.

On a somewhat related note. I loved the Cold War campaign in Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots. Nothing beat actually marching into Russia/U.S. after having spent several turns carefully ridding them of their nuclear missiles. Also, you get to fix those Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Cuban issues. The world is a much better place, and not a nuke was fired.

Wolfy

So, Binary Domain drops soon, so I'm wondering if anyone will get it...I also thought I would drop this here:

Binary Domain - Hollow Child Cutscene

And of course pose the question: "What exactly makes something...human?"

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 24, 2012, 07:03:33 AM
If it's aiming to be realistic, and if you took your tanks into an urban center. Then yes, they'd get torn apart, and you would be brought up on charges of gross negligence as commander (and you're going to have to write all those letter to all those virtual wives telling them their husband and their childrens' fathers aren't coming home. Way to go, general).

It's sort of pseudo-realistic. As some have pointed out, the total lack of fixed-wing aircraft makes it significantly less realistic. I think it's a balancing issue, though. It would make taking away the enemy's ability to call in reinforcements early in the game trivial, and could win you the game outright in a matter of seconds. It's a game that loves tanks, really.

But aside from that, it's very detailed and realistic. Both in the sense that your units behave and function as they would in reality, down to little details like vehicles getting stuck in mud if they're moving through woods, and things like making sure your units are supplied.

Inkidu

That's true. It would make it easy. Air superiority is the number one thing. You've got to put boots on the ground to win it, but air control is what lets you do it.

I don't really like games that focus on tanks. Reminds me too much of C&C rushes. Forget armies, just use armor.

Wolfy

Let it be said that I have a metric **** ton of games to play, most of them being RPG's that go on for, at the very least, 40+ hours.

Seriously....

I've got Final Fantasy V-IX, White Knight Chronicles 1 AND 2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Syndicate, Littlebigplanet 2, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Suikoden, Wild Arms 1, Wild Arms 2,God Hand, Grim Grimoire, Uncharted 1 and 2, Tales of The Abyss (3DS), and on Tuesday I'll be picking up SSX (Hopefully)

@_@ Not to mention the **** ton of games on Steam that I purchased but have never, ever played in my life.