Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Blythe

Okay...so...'accident.' This doesn't narrow things down to me very much. I mean, 'pistol' (Strangefate's card) and 'sulfuric acid' (yugi006's card) don't really scream 'accident' to me (not ruling it out, but they really seem like they don't fit right now to me), but there are a lot of cards down for people that could really fit 'accident.'

BAMF

Yugi006: Punch, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic, Gunpowder
Strangefate: Dagger, Pistol, Pesticides, Bite and Tear
Assassini: Trophy, Blender, Machine, Match (the fire kind)
Sherlock: Kick, Electric Current, Hammer, Work
Madame Professor: Packing Tape, Overdose, Mad Dog, Venomous Scorpion
BAMF: Injection, Towel (again?!), Illegal Drugs, Ice Skates
Verasaille: Pills, Poisonous needle, Dumbell, Plastic Bag
James Moriarty: Kerosene, Candlestick, Lighter, Electric Bike (like a vespa)
persephone325: Virus, Wrench, Drill, Video Game Console (The card shows a PS4!)

There's quite a few of these that read "accident" to me. I'm not sure I can rule anyone out yet. Or that I have any particular leaning to anything other than the Pistol (SF) or the Vespa (JM). And the second one is more for hilarity factor than anything else.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Assassini

For me, the problem with accident is that it seems far too easy to attribute it to just about anything. I mean, hell, if we look at Yugi, it could be possible to punch someone to death, like if in a fight and then you accidentally hit a weak spot or something. However, I reckon Remiel will be like TRPG and will try and make it obvious for us, so I think it makes sense to exclude things which are actual weapons, because if it were a weapon then he would have chosen a different type of death. So:

I've also excluded stuff like the poisonous needle and the venomous scorpion because I think "poisoning" fits those better. Whereas, it seems perfectly plausible that one could accidentally have too many pills.

That said, I reckon it's going to be hard to get past "Overdose" which is the only card which actively says "accidental death".

Galactic Druid

Is it wrong that I find it hilarious my notes make it into your tables?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 12, 2016, 05:52:19 PM
Is it wrong that I find it hilarious my notes make it into your tables?

It is most definitely RIGHT!

Madame Professor

So, cause I'm on my phone, I'm stealing BAMFy's hard work. >.>

I think accident actually elimates a lot of these options. As Assassini said, weapons would be better described with Loss of Blood or Severe Injury.

Accident though... Well, the bold speak to me.

The bold italic ones are the ones I think fit accident best. Not to say the others don't work, but those two are at the top of my list.

I think the location would really help narrow down the possibilities more.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Verasaille

I am surprised he did not mention the ice skates as "AGAIN?". Or the , drill, or the bite and tear, machine, or pistol.

Anyway, as far as I can surmise, anything could be accidental. Pistols can misfire or be dropped or fall into hands of children? Any tool can have accidental consequences. But we are talking about a murder here.

Murder indicates to me something premeditated or at the least a situation taken advantage of to cause death.

I am with holding any conjecture until we have more clues.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Madame Professor

Murder can also be made to look like an accident.

I think instead of focusing on what could maybe be an accident, focus on what Remi didn't use to describe it.
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Strangefate

Lot of possibilities here IMO so I'm going to wait for another clue before trying to narrow any of them down.  A few of them like Pistol, Dagger, Poisonous Needle, Kick, and Arsenic though, seem less like accidental murders than intentional premeditated ones to me, so I don't think Remiel would use that clue for them.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Assassini

Quote from: Verasaille on January 12, 2016, 06:53:25 PM
I am surprised he did not mention the ice skates as "AGAIN?". Or the , drill, or the bite and tear, machine, or pistol.

Anyway, as far as I can surmise, anything could be accidental. Pistols can misfire or be dropped or fall into hands of children? Any tool can have accidental consequences. But we are talking about a murder here.

Murder indicates to me something premeditated or at the least a situation taken advantage of to cause death.

I am with holding any conjecture until we have more clues.

The point is though, this isn't some specific murder we're trying to solve, but we're trying to get the cards.

Sure it's entirely possible for a gun to accidentally go off, but in this case, if you want someone to guess "Pistol" you do not choose "Accident". Simple and straightforward. In fact, looking back at my suggestions earlier I think I've actually been way too forgiving and have included too many things which should not be. For example if it were Arsenic, then it would have been "Poisoned" and if it had been one of the tools (like the Hammer) then it would have been "Severe Injuries".

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 12, 2016, 06:43:41 PM
So, cause I'm on my phone, I'm stealing BAMFy's hard work. >.>

I think accident actually elimates a lot of these options. As Assassini said, weapons would be better described with Loss of Blood or Severe Injury.

Accident though... Well, the bold speak to me.

The bold italic ones are the ones I think fit accident best. Not to say the others don't work, but those two are at the top of my list.

I think the location would really help narrow down the possibilities more.

Surprised you haven't included a lot of these here, but I am most surprised that you are actually suspicious of Bite and Tear, because to me that sounds more like an Injury/Blood Loss type of death than an accident.

BAMF

Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

Just throwing the clue that our FS gave us in with the full list I created earlier. When my brain is working a bit better, I'll do one of those fancy lists that y'all do with my thoughts. This is more of a resource list than anything at this point. :P So people like MP can copy it for their lists.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

yugi006

Bite and tears doesn't really say accident to me.

We don't have enough to go on but the location should help eliminate things.

Madame Professor

Suspicious is a very strong word for that one. Like I said, Machine and Electric Bike are my favorites at the moment, they make the most sense. I found your willingness to accept items like the Hammer, Towel, and Pill very generous. Other options better explain those.

Assassini

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 13, 2016, 07:23:07 AM
Suspicious is a very strong word for that one. Like I said, Machine and Electric Bike are my favorites at the moment, they make the most sense. I found your willingness to accept items like the Hammer, Towel, and Pill very generous. Other options better explain those.

Yeah, I was pretty generous with quite a few there. Also, I think I made a few mistakes (like with Hammer, which in hindsight definitely doesn't fit). However at this stage it really is too early to make any calls about some of them. Pills to me sounds every bit as likely as being medicinal as it would be poison, so I just can't exclude them (just as an example).

But, yeah, I won't edit my list until we get more information.

Remiel

Location of Crime - Living Room, Bedroom, Storeroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Balcony

The FS has picked Bathroom.

Verasaille

That narrows it down considerably! The first thing that came to my mind is electricity and water. Certainly an accident waiting to happen.

And it seems Sherlock has something on his list...electric current. Not hazarding a guess yet, but he is definitely on my short list.

The bathroom would eliminate a lot more of those murder weapons.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

yugi006

Given the other locations it doesn't really help all that much. I think we can safely eliminate the weapons, tools, and things like kick and punch as those aren't really accidents.

Strangefate

Okay, I’ll do a list now too!  I want to be part of the in-crowd  ;)

Things that Kill by Accident:
Pesticides? (Strangefate), Machine (Assassini), Match (Assassini), Blender? (Assassini), Electric Current (Sherlock), Work (Sherlock), Overdose (Madame P), Illegal Drugs (BAMF), Pills (Verasaille), Dumbell? (Verasaille), Electric Bike (James)

Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident
Location of Crime - Living Room, Bedroom, Storeroom, Bathroom, Kitchen, Balcony

I then crossed through unlikely ones.  Pesticides could be an Accident but surely it would better be described as Poisoning.  Electric Bike could run over someone by accident but one in a Bathroom?  And James lacks much in the way of evidence that points to Bathroom either.

Things you Find/Make Sense in a Bathroom:
Plastic Bottle (yugi), Sponge (Strangefate), Electric Current (Sherlock), Sock? (Madame P), Towel (BAMF), Flip Flops? (BAMF), Pills (Verasaille), Cleaning Cloth (persephone), Stockings (persephone)

Combining those two lists, I’m liking Sherlock with Electric Current, Madame P with Overdose, and Verasaille with Pills as suspects for the moment.  Assassini has a lot of ‘accidental’ killers but is hard to tie to the bathroom.  BAMF with Illegal Drugs and Towel is also a possibility.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Remiel

Duration of Crime - Instantaneous, Brief, Gradual, Prolonged, Few Days, Unclear

The FS has picked Instantaneous.

persephone325

All the clues put together at this time, just screams Sherlock to me.

Not an accusation. Just an observation.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Madame Professor

Have to agree with Persephone. The Electric Current is my favorite for the crime presently.

The bathroom ruled out the E-bike. The Machine is still possible but everything we have, in my opinion, is pointing to Sherlock and his Electric current. I'm hoping the next clue will point to the evidence left behind and we can start eleminating things with guesses.

Verasaille

Surprised we have not heard from the others. Must be a busy week?

yugi006

The only thing that fits is Electric Current.

James Moriarty

I have to agree -- accident (over blood loss and serious injury) plus immediate (ruling out e.g. overdose, my prior favorite) seems to hone in on electric current.  I'll say that out of every clue, it is 'accident' that most clearly indicates to me this result (on the basis of that clue narrowing the field to one that includes this result in it, such that no other clue narrows the field so much on this result).