Dragon Age: Aftermath

Started by Primarch, August 11, 2012, 11:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreida Wesker

Mantle of Champion isn’t just scattered all over the world. In DA2  you couldn’t even find it before Act 3, when Hawke defeated the Arishok. Which, as I said, is six years later until it’s discovery and craft.

Edit: I made a flimsy decision earlier of allowing DA2 equipt/weapon/etc, and I didn't discuss it with Primarch. He doesn't want the two to be mixed in together, limit of DAo and DAa only. My apologies for inconviences.

I can see where I got a bit messed up in your story, I do get muddled sometimes. Antiva has a plutocracy. It’s under a three queen system of Merchant Prince [Land Goods], Crows [ Army], and Felicisima Armada [Sea]. If someone were to shift the balance of this power, I could see why they would kill the outside source, but why a family massacre?  They could also just as easily kill the upstart that trying to distrupt the balance instead to send a message there… Yet, I think I will ease off that one.. Your argument is rather sound.

Well, if she wasn’t obviously pregnant, then how does she know she might be with child? We’re dealing with the Legion that’s mostly made up of thieves, murderers, and exiles. They might have a doctor in Orzammar that would know what he’s doing, but eh. I guess little difference..

Well, they don’t go insane, they hear the whispers of a Archdemon more clearly and it tells them things, clouds their mind over time, but.. I like that.. It could happen, but that was also by a Warden whom knew they were going to die if they didn’t try everything. In her own right, she was a hero of courage, but that’s just me...  Perhaps I still romanticize the Grey Wardens of being people beyond the reach to do what is best for all. I’m uncertain is that is being biased..

You never get to fight against a Legionaire in any game and I imagine it’s because they’ll waffle stomp people. We fight the Carta, but they’re common foes. If the warden was a blood mage, why would he just run? And the rape of an Orlesian Princess, eh, slap on the wrist. She might even have liked it and the drama it brought her. I love the architect, his right hand was a silent sister turned grey warden.. ^-^I’m a dwarf, I’m a dwarf. Hey, hey, I~I’m a Dwarf.  ~_~ Heehee.  SO nerdy..

As to leaving things vague for us GMs, I am uncertain as to the style of which we are playing this out. Characters need their direction in which they shall continue onward, even without the help of a GM like a collaborative story. I’m sure there will be some guidance assists or ‘Fork in the Roads’ options,.

Will tell if I find out.

Hots and Nots

All my devotion betrayed, I'm no longer afriad.

Katra Alexion

*looks at Oreida* What am I, chopped liver? What about my eval :P

Nah, we goods. I will await to hear your thoughts on my gal.

TheRedFear

Quote from: Oreida Wesker on August 13, 2012, 11:25:31 AM
Edit: I made a flimsy decision earlier of allowing DA2 equipt/weapon/etc, and I didn't discuss it with Primarch. He doesn't want the two to be mixed in together, limit of DAo and DAa only. My apologies for inconviences.

Deep and passionate is my hatred for you now  O:)

I can see where I got a bit messed up in your story, I do get muddled sometimes. Antiva has a plutocracy. It’s under a three queen system of Merchant Prince [Land Goods], Crows [ Army], and Felicisima Armada [Sea]. If someone were to shift the balance of this power, I could see why they would kill the outside source, but why a family massacre?  They could also just as easily kill the upstart that trying to distrupt the balance instead to send a message there… Yet, I think I will ease off that one.. Your argument is rather sound.

Fair point. And perhaps if it had been an Antivan doing this, they might have demonstrated such restraint. But this was an outsider interfering(however indirectly) in high level Antivian politics. So I figure the crows wanted to send a truly powerful message out across Thedas. They wanted that message to resonate across Rivain, from Orlais to Ferelden: Don't interfere in Antivan politics. Alot of people who might otherwise have been willing to risk it if only their own lives were on the line, will not even contemplate that mistake once rumors of what befell the Vargas House reach their ears.

Well, if she wasn’t obviously pregnant, then how does she know she might be with child? We’re dealing with the Legion that’s mostly made up of thieves, murderers, and exiles. They might have a doctor in Orzammar that would know what he’s doing, but eh. I guess little difference..

I figure once you miss a menstrual cycle or two, and start coming down with morning sickness and unusual stomach cramps a lady has a pretty good idea what the cause is, hehe. I figure she was far enough along to know she had a young'un inside her, but early enough for it to not be immediately obvious to the naked eye.

Well, they don’t go insane, they hear the whispers of a Archdemon more clearly and it tells them things, clouds their mind over time, but.. I like that.. It could happen, but that was also by a Warden whom knew they were going to die if they didn’t try everything. In her own right, she was a hero of courage, but that’s just me...  Perhaps I still romanticize the Grey Wardens of being people beyond the reach to do what is best for all. I’m uncertain is that is being biased...

I think I recall that one of the quests in DA2(possibly a DLC Quest) has you encounter a Warden in the Deep Roads who went down there when his 30 year mark was up. He didn't die though, and by the time Hawke encounters him the guy is two fruits short of a basket. I imagine that's what happens to the Wardens who are not fortunate enough to be killed in battle with Darkspawn. I may not be remembering this correctly though. It's been a while since I played.

You never get to fight against a Legionaire in any game and I imagine it’s because they’ll waffle stomp people. We fight the Carta, but they’re common foes. 

Yeah but you DO fight Abominations(even a relatively weak abomination can singlehandedly wipe out small towns and such). You fight Templars(Who are specifically trained to fight Abominations and Apostate mages), Grey Wardens, Antivan Crows, Mages(Granted some mages are scaredy-cat booknerds, but a great many of them are every bit as worthy of the title "Badass" as any of the aforementioned groups), Darkspawn, Demons and more. Without hesitation I would easily lump the Legionairres into the above assortment of bonafide badasses, but I don't necessarily see them as being any more or less badass than the Templars, Wardens, Crows, etc, etc. These are all elite groups that give their members the best training(or in the legion's case, the most brutal hands on experience that quickly seperates the Cans from the Can'ts) and/or accept only the most talented recruits.

If the warden was a blood mage, why would he just run? And the rape of an Orlesian Princess, eh, slap on the wrist. She might even have liked it and the drama it brought her. I love the architect, his right hand was a silent sister turned grey warden.. ^-^I’m a dwarf, I’m a dwarf. Hey, hey, I~I’m a Dwarf.  ~_~ Heehee.  SO nerdy..

lol those were just suggestions, but why run? Well like you yourself pointed out...Legionairres ARE badasses. He'd just beaten a group of them. No doubt they managed to wound him and tire him out at least. And then just as he finishes the last one, two fresh ones show up. He barely won the fight he just finished. He was in no shape whatsoever to deal with two brand new badass legionairres, both at full strength and ready to rumble. And for all he knows there might be even more Legionairres on the way who won't take kindly to what he just did to their friends.

And another possible explanation for the fight just occured me. Maybe the Warden was chasing after a blood mage(or even worse, a new breed of Darkspawn that can control minds). The quarry the Warden was chasing used blood magic to mind-control Luci and the others into attacking him, forcing him to defend himself before he could pursue the true target. He did not want to waste more time on Mateo and Sigrun while his target escaped. Especially once he saw the rage in Mateo's eyes and knew there was no way he could explain why he had to kill their friends before they attacked him. Or the Warden himself may have been under the influence of Blood Magic when the confrontation happened, brainwashed into protecting his new master who had reasons of their own for wanting the group dead.

Though personally, I like the idea of using Wardens as a villain in this story, and not as misunderstood heroes. To show that good and evil exists everywhere in everyone. Even Duncan suggested he'd put an entire village to the sword, every man, woman, and child to ensure no Tainted escaped. Or something to that effect...the line between hero and villain is razor thin when you're dealing with Grey Wardens.

As to leaving things vague for us GMs, I am uncertain as to the style of which we are playing this out. Characters need their direction in which they shall continue onward, even without the help of a GM like a collaborative story. I’m sure there will be some guidance assists or ‘Fork in the Roads’ options,.

I'll come up with a reason for the Warden's actions if you guys prefer. Just figured i'd give you guys the option so that if you want, you can weave it into whatever existing storylines you already have in mind. I did not want to end up contradicting anything you guys are brewing up behind the scenes  ;)

Oreida Wesker

Ah, he hates me. My job is done. :P

As to her coming to the conclusion. Well, that’s also going off the notion that she has enough life experience and medical knowledge to think in those terms. The dalish girl most likely had very little female influence in her life as well as very little people to converse with that would understand her backing and only Mateo to truly be her greatest companion. Hell, I bet her first menstrual cycle scared the hell out of her.

We'll just have to disagree on the 'badass' ness and about level development from the game in order to do those things. Hell, by the end of DAO, my dwarven rogue was the last one standing and practically took on the archdemon by herself because how easily impervious it is. I'm not going to point out that your the hero, your suppose to live. It'll be tedious. None the less, I’m done with the matter.

I was planning something…  But.. –gives him a tummy rub- You’ll just have to do, Red. I think i'll just infact use that queer warden of yours later.

On to someone else.
Hots and Nots

Oreida Wesker

Alright Katra Alexion....

1. Good equiptment, item, and weapon.  Twenty skills, only one of them a song and yet the specialization is a Bard…
2. Have to edit about Locan striking the blow to Loghain. Other then that, everything is really close to the story. Hell, didn't even kill the High Dragon there or Brother Genitivi.
3. Your on list is a work in progress?... Why? Progress, woman. -prods-

Evaluation Complete.  Chopped liver, indeed. YOur so finely chopped we could serve you as pate, spread you thin upon a cracker and bury you in caviar.  Next victim.
Hots and Nots

Katra Alexion

Alright woman alright! Sheesh, no need to crack the whip. You know that excites me too much  :P

As for the other details, sure. But I thought Locan did kill Loghain *shrugs* oh well =>.<=

Alright I edited the character sheet and fleshed my girl's back story a bit more.

kckolbe

Just wanted to say good job with this idea.  I always enjoy seeing people blur the lines between freeform and system, and this looks to be a great example.  This made me wish I'd gotten further into the game than I did.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Primarch

Quote from: kckolbe on August 15, 2012, 04:18:12 PM
Just wanted to say good job with this idea.  I always enjoy seeing people blur the lines between freeform and system, and this looks to be a great example.  This made me wish I'd gotten further into the game than I did.

Still room to get involved if you so fancy.

kckolbe

Can't say I'm not intrigued, but having missed out on so much of the story (I only played part of the first Dragon Age, none of the second), and being pretty well stocked on games already, just not sure that I should.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Oreida Wesker

Well Awakening hasn't started, Kolbe. This is like a few weeks after Alister is crowned King where as Awakening starts six months later. It opens up so everyone has their road to build and if we get to the part about Awakening, then we'll set up the quests to go through the story. This is a slightly Alternate Universe Thedas.
Hots and Nots

Primarch

Its about time we get started. We'll start IC tomorrow.

I assume some people want to start in Warden's Keep as several histories finish with players there. What about Denerim? We can have a thread there too if there's interest.

DRoux

I'd be alright with a Denerim thread, but if there isn't one, I can send Lorcan to Amaranthine to hunt down the Howe children.

-EDIT- Oops, that'd be Vigil's Keep I'm thinking of, not Warden's Keep. Well, regardless. Same offer. :P
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Apologies to all whom I play YIM games with, but my account seems to have locked me out. I'll try to fix that as soon as I can.

Primarch

Also, any preference on which board its set in? I assume not NC, because clearly you'll all be wanting it real bad from Darrian. :P

Katra Alexion

Latooni Subota

No preference about what board it is, since I'm pretty open-minded.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Katra Alexion

Same here *hides naughty sketch of Zevran behind her*

Oreida Wesker

Well, it seems we'll have one set up of Denerim [by me] and the Other of Warden's Keep on Soilder's Peak [ By Primarch]. The distance between the two is a day and a half travel; that's counting in the mountain road and labyrinthine caverns that lead to the fortress.
Hots and Nots

Katra Alexion

I'm ready to start whenever you guys are.  ;D

Bigmyth

Primarch

Bigmyth

Quote from: Primarch on August 19, 2012, 06:37:58 AM
Certainly

Great! I was wondering if I could stray a bit from the usual characters. I was thinking about an Orlesian Warden who didn't participate in the battle against the Archdemon but who was sent to reinforce the Ferelden Wardens. That sound okay?

Primarch

Quote from: Bigmyth on August 19, 2012, 06:53:10 AM
Great! I was wondering if I could stray a bit from the usual characters. I was thinking about an Orlesian Warden who didn't participate in the battle against the Archdemon but who was sent to reinforce the Ferelden Wardens. That sound okay?

Sent after the Blight? Absolutely.

Bigmyth

Alright, what I have so far:

Name: Myron Renard
Race: Human
Class: Mage, Battlemage
Origin Path: NA

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
(minus the robes)

Equipment: Regalia of Weisshaupt (http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Regalia_of_Weisshaupt_(mage)) (I know, no DA2 equipment. But it's just for the appearance), Staff of the Lost

Skills:
Draining Aura, Hand of Winter, Stoic, Elemental Chaos
Arcane Bolt, Arcane Shield, Staff Focus, Arcane Mastery
Fade Shield, Elemental Mastery, Attunement, Time Spiral
Lightning, Shock, Tempest, Chain Lightning
Mind Blast, Force Field, Telekinetic Weapons, Crushing Prison

History: Myron was born in Lydes, a city located in Eastern Orlais. He is the second child of Mariane and Gascard Renard. The Renard family is a noble family that acquired most of it's fortunes during the Orlesian occupation of Ferelden. Myron spent the first decade of his life in the comfort of his family riches, enjoying the best education and the social status the high society of Orlais could offer. However it was his older sister Marie who was next in line to become head of the family. And by the time he was 12 and his sister was old enough, his father took Marie under his wing to prepare her to lead one day. This caused Myron to struggle with his future role in life. However fate already decided a different path for Myron when it gave him an affinity for magic. At the age of 12 he started having strange dreams of a land where spirits from the beyond talked to him. Gascard called in an expert to figure the meaning of the dreams and the expert revealed the talent of magic slumbering within Myron. Gascard did not see this as a blessing but as a curse. So the choice was made to send Myron to the Circle of Magi in Val Royeaux.

The White Spire served as Myron's home for the coming years as he mastered the arcane arts. His family did still support him with sporadic visits and occasional monetary support to the circle to the benefit of Myron, but they prefered to keep the presence of mage amongst the family members a secret. Myron never bonded with any of his fellow students at the circle, instead he dedicated himself to his studies and the political debates in Circle. Myron quickly became very adept at the physical aspect of magic but never engaged in the more spiritual aspects that the Chantry tried to teach the mages. This caused for some enchanters to criticize him for using magic only as a tool to enhance his own abilities but most of his mentors comended him for his skill. So it wasn't strange that when he hit the age of 19 he was deemed capable enough to attempt his Harrowing. He passed the test but the experience changed him, reawakening his struggle to find a place in the world other than being just another mage locked up in the Circle. And opportunity arose when 2 years later the Grey Wardens of Orlais were recruiting new members. In a moment of clairvoyance Myron sent a message to the Grey Wardens requesting to join their ranks. At first the Knight-Commander of the Templar Order opposed Myron taking initiative to join the Wardens since normally candidates were to be nominated by the First Enchanter and the Templars. But Myron's request was supported by both the First Enchanter and most of the other senior mages at the Circle. So the Wardens were invited to the Circle to test Myron and after a few trials Myron had proven himself as possible asset to the Wardens. Only the fabled Joining remained in his way to becoming a Grey Warden. Myron expected a trial similar to the Harrowing, but when he was finally faced with the truth he felt horrified. A Warden named Riordan helped him overcome his fear and convinced him to drink from the chalice. Myron survived but the ritual took a great toll on him, he fell into a 3 day sleep with constant nightmares of the darkspawn plaguing him.

When Myron awoke, he awoke a changed man. He had sacrificed his body to the corruption but in return he had received a purpose in life. Him joining the Grey Wardens also eventually led into him breaking with his family. The Wardens had become his new family. And his family trained him in the art of war and vigilance. It was a period of happiness for Myron, he had finally found his place in Thedas. But as the years went by his nightmares became more frequent and more intense. The older Wardens predicted a Blight approaching. And they were right, a darkspawn horde arose in Ferelden. Myron joined the group of Wardens originally intended to reinforce the Wardens in Ferelden but they were delayed by strange news about the events at Ostagar and by Tyrn Loghain's refusal to cooperate. The Wardens in Orlais were forced to stand at the sidelines while the Archdemon attacked Denerim. They had already given up hope of saving Ferelden from the Blight when the news came that a group of young Wardens had defeated the Archdemon. However most of the Grey Warden Order was effectively decimated at Ostagar thus Weisshaupt commanded Orlais to send spare Wardens to help rebuild the order in Ferelden. The Warden-Commander of Orlais decided to send Myron to both investigate what really transpired in Ferelden and to make sure that the future of the Ferelden Order of the Grey Wardens was secured.

Primarch

IC Feel free to get started on making nice IC in Warden's Keep, we'll get something for you to deal with in while once you've had time to play around a little.

Bigmyth

So, any remarks on my profile?