News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Oniya on November 27, 2011, 12:49:26 PM
I see what you did there.  ;D

Chill.

Actually, I didn't do it on purpose. I wish I had.

Also: Catwoman and Poison Ivy in the same room ... whew!

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Capone

Mr. Freeze's fight is a highlight of that game, to be certain.

I liked a lot of the fights in that game, but that one is a serious challenge of the best variety.

Hemingway

This is the ending? This is crap. Well, not crap. But why do games always have to wrap things up so neatly? Why are the top bad guys, the antidote, the codes to stop the nuclear missiles and the proof of your innocence always conveniently located in the same room?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Ra's al Ghul's death was particularly abrupt. It's like ... "Oh, yeah, I'm the head bad guy. NOW I'M DEAD." I guess he might make a return in a future game ( I sure hope there is one ), but still.

I also don't like how the main story only accounts for like ... 50% of the content, tops. Probably less. To me, additional content always ends up feeling tacked on, if it's in the form of "find x number of flags!"

Capone

I felt that Arkham City managed to implement the side quests in well, where they were a nice enough distraction without requiring too much time away from the story. I didn't just speed through, so it felt decently long to me and not at all abrupt.

I guess it depends on play styles.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on November 27, 2011, 04:41:37 PM
This is the ending? This is crap. Well, not crap. But why do games always have to wrap things up so neatly? Why are the top bad guys, the antidote, the codes to stop the nuclear missiles and the proof of your innocence always conveniently located in the same room?

Ra's al Ghul's death was particularly abrupt. It's like ... "Oh, yeah, I'm the head bad guy. NOW I'M DEAD." I guess he might make a return in a future game ( I sure hope there is one ), but still.

I also don't like how the main story only accounts for like ... 50% of the content, tops. Probably less. To me, additional content always ends up feeling tacked on, if it's in the form of "find x number of flags!"

And yet....seeing your spoilers, it looks like you haven't seen the true ending.

You know the moment.

Mr. J.

Also, judging by the secret at the end of the credits...we could be heading towards Batman Beyond Territory..possibly.

Sabby

I hope so. Wanna play as Terry. Punching Joker Jr.

Wolfy

Gah...the three week wait till The Old Republic Releases is going to be torture. TORTURE I TELL YOU.

Oniya

I just want to say that I hate episodic Flash games.  I just played through Wasted Youth, and must now wait on the developer to finish part 2 before I can find out why the students are disappearing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Capone

Quote from: Wolfy on November 27, 2011, 11:53:57 PM
And yet....seeing your spoilers, it looks like you haven't seen the true ending.

You know the moment.

Mr. J.

Also, judging by the secret at the end of the credits...we could be heading towards Batman Beyond Territory..possibly.

Actually...

It looks like the next villain will be Hush. Unless I missed some special secret ending bit, there's a side mission where you have to follow a bunch of corpses whose faces are gone. Turns out Hush stole a bunch of people's flesh to make a perfect Bruce Wayne mask. He leaves, and you never see him again in Arkham City.

Sabby

Seems a bit unlikely. It'll continue, yeah, but probably as a side quest.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on November 27, 2011, 11:53:57 PM

You know the moment.

Mr. J.

I have. I still think it was ... not a bad ending, per se, but I hate that games always do this thing where the climax is too sudden and too short. Kind of like...

As for the side quests ... the only thing I've seen that was actually interesting so far is the Watcher guy. I happened to see him over my shoulder quite far into the game, and it was ... creep.

Brandon

Seems like I missed quite a bit over the last month so Im still getting caught up on the newest releases and news. HOwever I came home and found Skyrim waiting for me which was a nice welcome home gift to myself. I started an Argonian warrior type character whos most likely going to be focused in heavy armor and archery with sword/shield backup

I played the game up to when you fight the first dragon and its pretty awesome so far. Definatly a great addition to the Elder scrolls series
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Capone

Quote from: Hemingway on November 28, 2011, 07:46:46 AM
I have. I still think it was ... not a bad ending, per se, but I hate that games always do this thing where the climax is too sudden and too short. Kind of like...

As for the side quests ... the only thing I've seen that was actually interesting so far is the Watcher guy. I happened to see him over my shoulder quite far into the game, and it was ... creep.

I agree with you about most games having an ending that seems sudden, like you suddenly smack into a brick wall. A lot of this is simply development time, stuff getting cut, etc. Funny that you have an avatar of Brutal Legend, as I feel like that was a game meant to be longer, but they managed to condense aspects of the story a LOT better after having to make cuts and changes. It still feels like a proper three act structure, so to speak.

I think the main issue is that games still need to figure out their narrative format. A traditional three act structure CAN work, but the typical software development cycle isn't as fond of that as features and levels have to be cut last minute.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on November 28, 2011, 07:46:46 AM

The Watcher is also what makes most people think we'll be heading to Batman Beyond times in the next game.

..<_<>_> *wink wink*

Sabby

Interesting weekend. My brother brought home a modded original Xbox, and I was all excited to see what the last owner had saved on the hard drive. It was mostly crap, Fable, Call of Duty, Tony Hawk, Midnight Club... then I see an entirely different directory with absolute gold in it! Max Payne 2, The Warriors, Hitman: Blood Money, Strangers Wrath! A dozen more! Fucking JACKPOT I think! Oh... those weren't actually there, they were just the file names that stayed when the games were deleted x.x

So, I hit the Rom sites and download the first three games I always wanted to try but could never find. Breakdown, Galeon, and Enclave. I didn't know what to expect... all I ever read of them was they were underrated classics of the original Xbox.

And they totally would have been... if it weren't for the atrocious controls. Galleon, on one hand, was pulling game design that friggen Assassins Creed was supposedly pioneering. On the other, the combat was awkward and frustrating. Enclave is about the most underwhelming and simplistic hack and slash I've ever seen, and Breakdown... the less said about that, the better. Uhg.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on November 28, 2011, 09:06:59 AM
The Watcher is also what makes most people think we'll be heading to Batman Beyond times in the next game.

..<_<>_> *wink wink*

I'm oblivious to all things that aren't the latest Batman movies, Arkham Asylum/City and The Dark Knight Returns.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on November 28, 2011, 11:29:14 AM
I'm oblivious to all things that aren't the latest Batman movies, Arkham Asylum/City and The Dark Knight Returns.

You've never heard of Batman Beyond?

Someone slap this man. D:

Capone

So I enjoyed the first dungeon of Zelda: Skyward Sword well enough, until I reached the dungeon boss. The Wii Motion Plus really isn't much more helpful than regular Wii motion in Twilight Princess, and unfortunately the game doesn't take any sort of checkpoint into consideration. I died on the boss, and it returned me to the last time I saved, meaning I need to replay a bunch of the dungeon again.

Save early and save often, folks. It saves lives.

Inkidu

So I got Saints Row: The Third. I love it, I love playing as a chick too, somehow it just enhances the oddball and self-aware humor. I'll probably get a dude at some point, but what's the rush?

One tiny, teeny-weeny, itsy-bitsy, little thing though
They killed Gat. This just doesn't happen. The sun is hot, the ocean is wet, and Gat is unkillable. I don't want to cause mayhem in a fictional, wacky world without everyone's favorite homicidal saint on call. I mean that's like trying to shoot a hurricane to death. It just doesn't happen!

Also, don't kill pandas. It's unethical.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

epplewhiffle2

I'm just starting to get into video games again, no clue what to get though. My only systems are DS and PS2. I recently picked up Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows which was terrible compared to Dark Legacy. I remember loving Virtua Fighter 4 but *both* of my copies don't work, totally lame!!!

I probably need to upgrade to the new century of gaming devices, no clue what games most of you are referencing, have heard a lot about Saints Row from a couple buddies.

Capone

There's a huge library of games worth playing on PS2.

I just can't recall most of them because I got rid of mine early in favor of the Xbox and GameCube.

Oniya

I'm still on a PS2 myself - mainly because I've got a bunch of PS1 games to get through. :D  I also chime in with free-to-play online games of the non-MMO variety - mostly to be cantankerous. ;D

Brandon

I still play PS2 a lot myself. The best one on the console, IMO, is shadow of the collossus. Some other good ones include marvel vs capcom, Final fantasy X, Summoner (and to a lesser extent Summoner 2), the Xenosaga series (now if only Namco would finish it *grumbles*), God of war (and to a lesser extent God of war 2), Area 51, Devil may cry and Devil may cry 2, Armored Core 2 (I hear 3 is good and 4 is ok), Indigo prophecy, Mercenaries, Silent hill 2 and 3, Resident evil 4, Star wars: Battlefront 2, and Ultimate spider man. That's just the collection I could see on my shelf from here. Theres a ton more I could recommend

Anyway, Skyrim...oh Skyrim. I love this game but the more I play it the more I see so many things that just keep it away from perfection. The UI is horrible, the "Trolls" look more like bigfoot/Yeti, the Dragons look more like Wyverns, the game doesnt seem to recognize accomplishments like me now being leader of the campanions and guards saying something like "So you just joined the companions. So you fetch the mead?" The allied characters like Lydia and Faendal seem to have no personality.

All the same, I still love the game but Bethesda really needed just a little more attention to detail to make the experience seemless
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

dready

Quote from: Hemingway on November 28, 2011, 11:29:14 AM
*SLAP*

You have some catching-up to perform, Hemingway.