Suggestion: Notifications System

Started by Xenphir, August 28, 2013, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

I had noticed that even after selecting 'Notify when this gets a reply' that it doesn't notify you on the site. After asking some question, I hear that all notifications go to E-Mail. I was a bit sad to hear this, but I decided to make a little suggestion.

A notification system on site!

Perhaps a little box up top labeled "Notifications" like Gaia does on one of their pages. (Think it was the my stuff page?) Or even like facebook(As much as I hate Facebook xD) Where there is a small button that pops up?

However one of my ideas was to make a separate but similar system to the Messages. You have x messages, none of which are new. What about: You have x Notifications, 2 of which are new. And in the same way you can delete said notifications or leave them their for a reminder later.

You could use notification for when: People add you as a buddy, Replies to threads you started, Replies to threads you've bookmarked, and when you are quoted. On Gaia, if you were quoted you got a notification saying so, by who, and which thread. Here is seems there isn't even an E-Mail notification for it.

The reason I suggest this isn't just because I am lazy and don't want to check my E-mail, but there are probably a lot of people that don't always check their e-mails, and I think it would be a lot easier for people to remember all the Rp's they have going on, and to remember to check them when a reply is posted.

~Xenphir the Kind

Oniya

You can always get a list of what replies have been made in threads you've posted to by hitting the 'Show new replies to my posts' right over the announcement bar, on the far right.

We also have a feature called 'Bookmarks'.  Click the 'Add to Bookmarks' button right next to the Reply button on any given thread, and you can check it from the 'My Bookmarks' menu option just under the announcement bar (fourth from the right).  This is particularly useful if you've got a lot of socializing threads and want to have a hot-list of just your RPs, or if you want to follow a thread without posting in it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Xenphir

Quote from: Oniya on August 28, 2013, 12:21:24 PM
You can always get a list of what replies have been made in threads you've posted to by hitting the 'Show new replies to my posts' right over the announcement bar, on the far right.

We also have a feature called 'Bookmarks'.  Click the 'Add to Bookmarks' button right next to the Reply button on any given thread, and you can check it from the 'My Bookmarks' menu option just under the announcement bar (fourth from the right).  This is particularly useful if you've got a lot of socializing threads and want to have a hot-list of just your RPs, or if you want to follow a thread without posting in it.

I've seen the bookmarks feature, but it isn't what I am talking about. I have seen the new replies button, but as far as quoting and buddying, I just think a notifications system would be better, and put some more organization into it.

Beguile's Mistress

The Modification option on your Profile page should show a list of all topics you have in the notification system.  As posts are made the item it moved to the top of the list and has the New button at the end.  You can visit this page as often as you like or keep it open in a tab while you are online.  The page does not auto-refresh so you need to F5 when you visit if you keep it open.

Xenphir

I know. I guess I just sound like an idiot for wanting something like this all in one and more accessible.

Beguile's Mistress

Do you keep your email open in a tab all the time?

Xenphir

Of course not xD People are lucky if I check it once a month  :-[

Beguile's Mistress

See, I leave my email open all the time so I see the notifications when I go to that tab.

You can open a specific email account for Elliquiy if you want to keep your personal account private and just have the account you use for Elliquiy open on your browser.  Changing your email address for Elliquiy is simple.

Xenphir

Yeah but I don't know. I guess just a place all in one for everything that was going on would be nice but I guess it was a lame idea xD Ah well I will just try to keep all my rp's in one or two places :3

Beguile's Mistress

It's not really a lame idea as all ideas and suggestions might very well be useful.  My suggestions were more in the nature of working with what is available now just in case what you want can't be done due to software and programming restrictions.  Keep in mind that the more you change the programming in a system the more chances there are to break something so fewer changes are sometimes better. 

Only Vekseid know what is possible which is why this thread is here. :-)

Xenphir

Ah. Yeah it is fine for now ^^ Just a suggestion that might organize things a bit.

jouzinka

I think it was an excellent idea, Ryu. :) I was actually thinking along the lines of this myself...

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to incorporate something like that into the current system, in my opinion. For now we have to work with what we have and that is ignoring certain boards, Bookmarks, Notifications, Show new replies to your posts and Show unread posts since last visit.

Personally, I ignore a lot of boards (the entire right column [aka the games boards], for example). You can find this setting in Profile -> Modify Profile -> Ignore Boards Options (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoreboards). That way you will not be getting alerts when hitting Show unread posts since last visit at all, but you can bookmark (or get notification of) certain threads, rather than whole boards.

There's a thread in On Topic where users can submit their ideas of how to improve the system (Vekseid has been working on a new one, designed with the needs of RPers in mind). Feel free to post your idea there. :) https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128093.0

If you liked the idea of ignoring boards, but hit a wall when setting it, my inbox is open. ;D Or you can always hit your Mentors. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Xenphir