Gauging Interest - Bring back the false grit! Good Old Spaghetti Western!

Started by Inerrant Lust, January 02, 2011, 01:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

Oh no, no, no. That was just an example! a bad example.. Gah!

I meant she would tie the plot together in a way going beyond the other three groups' motivations, like the bad guy was originally. It's hard to explain. >_<

Edit: And Alysanthia brought up a good point, which is why I wanted to avoid having the male-lead associated with a female lead... Damsel in Distress syndrome. (Not that anyone is the lead, really...)

Genbu83

Interested in Ppaying one of the Lawmen. So far I have two character concepts.

1)

Name: Edward "Red Lasso" Hatfield.
Prefered Arms: Henry Repeating Rifle, Rope, Volcanic Arms Repeating Pistol, "injun weapons"
Description: Half Sioux, half American-Irish, and all business. A bit on the tall and tan side. Has fierce blue eyes, black hair, likes suede leather for it's flexibity and quiet approach. Red Lasso is a skilled tracker and is a fast runner.
History: Son of a mountain man and his Sioux bride. He spent his first 10 being educated by his mothers family and his father. Though when Ma died, Pa saught to settle down and raise his son proper. Being half "injun" didn't bode well with the boys and men in those parts. Edward learned to run fast, to elude, and most importantly how to separate his foes. At 16 his Pa died of the pocks. Trying to fight for their homestead wasn't in the cards. The marshals needed good trackers, and that's where "injun" blood seemed to be prefered.  The name "Red Lasso" comes from how Edward brings back men "mostly alive". He has been known on more than one occassion to "drag the fight out of a man".

2)

Name: Detective Dwight Alan Mason
Prefered Arms: A Sharps Model 1863, sawed off Spartan Shotgun, Two Colt Navy Revolvers, and Puigilism
Description: "Easterner" to say it simply; otherwise he's brown haird, brown eyed, and white. He wars the blue suit. Keeps himself clean. He's the very model of a gentleman. That is when he's not on the Job. his targets get one chance. The unimposing man then will break open his suit case and let he'll break loose. He particularly likes to kneecap his target's friends. When he has them on the run, He takes his time. a hasty man makes mistakes. he takes shots, and leads his targets into his traps, if he doesn't have to leave them alive. Well let's just say he wants the other Pinkerton's to think of his great shots when they aspire to be Detectives liek himself.
History: born in New York, a good work ethic and mind for detail put him through college and got his parents out of the textile factory. Now they live in relative comfort. He has served as a pinkerton detective for 5 years. He would have joined sooner if he would have been born  earlier. Dwight is rather obsessive about his job. The thrills and challenging prospects keep him more than the pay.

Either of these look appealing?

RedEve

Interesting idea...

Though which way could we use to tie all three factions to Calpurnia?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Inerrant Lust

@RedEve

Like I said, it would require some maneuvering on my part. And it might not even work out. Gimme some time to brainstorm more about it, since adding another group requires to me to signifigantly alter the basic 'Here's some motivation to chase one another, now have fun!' plot at the start. I hate to say it, but Calpurnia might not be feasible at all.

@Genbu83

Either of those would work. It's my hope that if there ends up being more than one lawmen, the two end up as more or less the 'buddy cop' mold (although not quite as.... lame.) with both being somewhat opposite foils to one another.

I suppose the gauging interest stage is over and done with. I mentioned before I have a prefference for system in this RP, being that it will involve a good deal of the main character shooting NPCs and possibly eachother. Although the whole thing won't be shooting, maybe making checks for things like untying rope bonds before you fall into a snake pit or something.. It will be more adventure and travel than really bang bang shoot-em-up. The gunfights that don't end in half a second quick draws will be dramatic things that are few and far between. For teh drama.

Does anyone have a preference for system? I'll confess that in both D20 Modern (Where my comfort zone is. :P) and GURPS, they are little... lacking when it comes to this particular scenario. Of course, this has been ammended by publishers, so you may require something beyond the standard sourcebooks...

Bleh.

Genbu83

I'm fine with modern...though Deadlands would not be a bad suit either.

How system heavy do you want this? I'm fine playing either character. Red Lasso is bit on the rough side. However just a professional tracker with nice flavor. Dwight, I think is slightly more on the edge. He likes the thrill, the test, the game of it all.

@Redeve

I could see how Ed/Red Lasso could be involved with your character's past a bit. Though, I'm not sure how I'd connect Dwight to Calpurnia.

On the morality scale though. I'd judge Ed to be 60-70% on the decent side. Dwight is more 50-50.

Alysanthia

Name: Namid Reed (Namid- Native American Cheyenne name meaning "star dancer.")

Race:  Half Cheyenne Indian and Caucasian.

Appearance: Standing proud at 5’3”, Namid has dark fathomless eyes that mimic a starless night on the planes. True to her mother’s people she doesn’t cut her hair, keeping in a long braid that reaches the back of her knees; curling only where the leather band keeps the jet black locks in place. Namid’s complexion is a light tan, many just assuming she spends too much time in the sun; though many people are able to tell her heritage easily at times. She only wears clothing that is easy to travel in, sometimes donning her dead husband’s clothing though it is several sizes to big for her small frame she will mix it with her own clothing as well. Matching the duster coats with her skirts, refusing to wear the petticoats that so many women choose to wear under the garment.

When not traveling Namid will wear a simple cotton frock the color of mulberries, around her neck she keeps the pendent her husband gave her when they first meet. Sometimes though she will wear a outfit her mother made, the soft tan hides made of deer pelts allow her to travel easy without being hindered by some of the skirts she wears, around her waist sits a six shooter almost too large for Namid to hand though she manages when the time calls for it along with a impressive looking knife, the hilt made from the antlers from the first deer she ever killed. 

Personality:  Born with a natural motherly instinct, she cares for those who deserve it, though if someone crosses her, Namid will go to any length to let that person know they have done wrong and must right their way. Before her husband’s death she was very light hearted and a upbeat person; but due to the incident she has become harden and jaded to anyone that tries to get close to her. Not wanting to go through the pain of losing someone dear to her again.

History:  Born to a Cheyenne Indian and a traveling miner who became smitten with her mother’s looks and modest ways, Namid was born into a loving family despite her father’s side disapproving of the marriage. Moving to a quaint town just on the outskirts of Montana her family managed to settle in nicely with the local people, the town folk having a peaceful relationship with a nearby tribe of Indians. It was there that Namid meet her husband at the age of seventeen; the young cattle farmer sweeping her off her feet in the short month he courted her. Having a small wedding at his family’s estate, they quickly moved out on their own with the help of their parents.

Able to find a piece of land Namid and Dillon maintained a small farm with a few chickens, cows, pigs, and horses; finding the life peaceful and perfect they tried several times to have children yet it seem it was not meant to be.  Sadden by that fact it did not damper the happy couple’s life, as the years progressed Namid and Dillon did not know what was to come one morning in the late days of spring. While in town purchasing groceries and materials for the home, Dillon stayed home to take care of the animals mainly the cattle seeing how there had been rumors of cattle thieves.

When Namid arrived home she was met with despair; laying on the ground in a pool of blood was her dear Dillon. Screaming in heartbreak she rushed to his aid though it was too late to save his life, the thieves had shot him several times after he tried to fight them off from stealing the herd. Unable to control herself Namid rode into town anger and sorrow blinding her vision and muddling her thoughts, storming into the sheriffs small office she demanded justice for what had happened; sadly though the aged officer could do no such thing. Having not a clue of who had been stealing around the area, stunned that her husband’s death could not be avenged that very minute Namid swore that she would find those responsible; arming herself with Dillon’s gun and a few pieces of clothing she set out to get revenge

Prakkie

Only just noticed this thread, definitely interested if you're still recruiting.

Would be happy to play a male bandit who's extremely interested in this missing lockbox.

RedEve

Inerrant Lust

@Prakkie

Ah! Ermm... The lockbox was just an example. I have something less tangible in mind. Though it is, at this point, very hazy and subject to change. I kind of can't really determine what it is until I know who all the characters are and what will motivate them. Lawmen are easy, because it'll probably involve something that they are obligated by their profession to pursue.  :P Bandits are somewhat easy as well, but the fence-straddling drifter is the hardest one to think up of a motivating event for unless it's personal.

So far, it seems like I got at least 2 candidates for every group, although there can only be one drifter and as many as three bandits so it's a little uneven. I'm not sure whose trying out for what, though. I assume Namid Reed for drifter?

Interesting character, by the way. Mechanically, all three groups were going to be about the same general strength (That is, the drifter was about as capable as all three the bandits together, and the three bandits just as capable as the lawmen. Of course, this still lends a slight advantage to the numerically superior groups, naturally...) but if Namid is the drifter... well, I imagine her strengths lay not so much in being a quick-draw shootist but in other, perhaps more useful areas.

Alysanthia

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on January 05, 2011, 06:15:54 PM

So far, it seems like I got at least 2 candidates for every group, although there can only be one drifter and as many as three bandits so it's a little uneven. I'm not sure whose trying out for what, though. I assume Namid Reed for drifter?

Interesting character, by the way. Mechanically, all three groups were going to be about the same general strength (That is, the drifter was about as capable as all three the bandits together, and the three bandits just as capable as the lawmen. Of course, this still lends a slight advantage to the numerically superior groups, naturally...) but if Namid is the drifter... well, I imagine her strengths lay not so much in being a quick-draw shootist but in other, perhaps more useful areas.

Bingo, sorry I forgot to add that I wanted to put her down as the drifter. Namid would be the sort of woman who knows what kind of animals are dangerous, what plants are poisons, how to gather food easily and etc...

RubySlippers

RedEve

Laughing Hyena

Well seeing as how my one on one thread fell through due to my partner just vanishing without a trace I will admit this peaks my interest so which positions are taken? I'll take the drifter if no one objects.

PS - I like Calprunia as a potential character. Sounds like a badass straight out of For a Few Dollars More.

Laughing Hyena

I would like the play the Lone Drifter if I can but if someone claims this I'll back down.

Name: Tidus Culpepper
Race: Caucasian

Appearance: A slight stubble had grown upon the mans chin from the lack of a quality shave though he still was recently handsome. His face was in seemingly a hardened state of lackluster emotion. Hazel eyes of glass would peer back from underneath the brown hat and when removed he hair short jet black hair that had grown out slightly and greasy from many days without proper care. His teeth however were whiter then most wandering dogs that were in the west. His typical attire was a dust brown jacket with a blue shirt with a black undershirt. He also had a black mask around his neck just in case winds picked up a lot of dust. At the front of his chest sheathed over his heart was a large knife for skinning and for close combat. Twin holsters house two Colts 45s at the left and right hip and finally upon his back was a long Rifle.

Personality: Business like in his attitude and cold and merciless to his enemies he is a paradox of persona as most men are. He will show mercy and compassion but not in the same way most will do. He is willing to stay his hand in many situations but when he is personally threatened or someone he values is threatened he will not hesitate to put a bullet through the problem or worse. Tidus Culpeppers true passions in life are music first and foremost. It is one of the only things he has left in this world though he admits that it has lost its splendor for him due to the horrible events from the civil war.

History: Tidus Culpepper rarely ever talks about his past personally and fewer still ask it of him. He was at one point a musician from the north entertaining folks upon the piano in theaters. Originally his prepared destiny would have taken him across the oceans to practice his gifts with the world as his audience. But unfortunately it was around this time the civil wars begun and Tidus was drafted into it. The endless ringing of gunfire and cannons would be the drums that would accompany horns to sound the attack.

Men would spill their blood freely without restraint over ideals but for a soldier the only rule was survival and a lot of good men died out there. Many he had to watch die as well out there but some of the worst offenses were done to prisoners where some would take part in rather malicious liberties with interrogation. One of which was to have a choir sing to hide the sounds of beatings and torture to get prisoners to talk. It was a disgusting act but not all. He had seen both the good and bad sides of men and by the end had become clad in iron emotionally when it came to killing another or shooting them down.

When he came back home to his family and friends the toll he had paid was high, not just for himself but for his family as well. His father's taxes due to the war had gone amazingly high and much was claimed by the government including the land they had earned. Fortunately father was not around to see it happen, but when it came to Tidus' home and dreams, much had changed. Now Culpepper was without much to his name anymore. His inspirations to play music had gone the way sand runs through in an hourglass and packing up what belongings he had he would head west to try and find himself once more.

What really however hit the nail on the head for him was when he met Calpurnia White. A Gentleman Client thought she had been holding out on her and was trying to get the service he expected from her anyway he could. Hearing the commotion Tidus Culpepper would approach and get involved. The man snapped at him and made ready to make a threat but Tidus was in no move and with a sudden snap of his wrist his gun was in hand pointed at the overtly horny John. The John took Calpurnia White hostage and it was the last mistake he ever made for the woman was not as weak as he thought and stabbed him with his own knife clenched in hand into his heart killing him. It was at this time he realized he could not go back to the way things were. He knew he lost something during the war but of what he couldn't be certain. So like most veterans he went to go and find it.

Along the way Calpurnia White followed and dogged Tidus at every step insisting she come with him. For whatever reason and because she could prove very convincing in not just her body but with words Tidus eventually caved in. Be it for a kindred spirit, fascination or enamored towards her or vice versa the two traveled southwest. She had Tidus teach her how to use a gun but she was a very fast learner and proved quickly she was unlike most women. Unwilling to be a damsel in distress or be at the heel of another. She was the kind to make her own way in the world and remain strong and independent.

The transition from the north to the south was simplistic when one knew enough about killing. Hell the west was filled with many who would not hesitate to kill another. And with every step he took towards it he saw more of the darker side of humanity hardened by this natural instinct to take what they needed or wanted with force. Life meant nothing to a single bullet after all. Eventually he moved as far as his money took him and resorted to taking odd jobs. Much of his efforts went into music as he still felt his roots come through now and then. Besides it was easy to play what folks liked so it was easy. When times were harsher he would occasionally pick up a bounty or other more dangerous job to earn some income.

It was however when chasing a man called "Coyote" Jack Robertson that things turned a touch unexpected for his target was a serial rapist and horse thief that preyed upon prostitutes and farmlands alike with his own posse. Tidus was to claim the bounty on his head however he did not anticipate catching up to Jack during an outburst at the Saloon in White Rock. After a heated argument with the bartender on what it would take to get a "poke" from a lovely girl, Jack took the tavern over with a small posse to grab the girls en mass and perhaps seize the town itself. Tidus unfortunately happened to be playing the piano at the time of the take over.

A gunfight erupted between the sheriff and his deputy on one side, Tidus in the bystanders in the middle and finally "Coyote" Jack Robertson and his posse of lowlifes. During the gunfight as Tidus huddled behind cover he heard several screams as some of "Coyote" Jack Robertson's men began to go into the back to steal some of the ladies whilst also collecting the booze to set fire to the saloon with Molotov Cocktails.

During the commotion Tidus heads up the steps, takes up his forty five and gives chase not wanting them to get away with the women nor did he want his target to slip away. Doing what he could he got out onto the balcony and as they rode off he shot four of the posse down as they made their escape. The wagon that the women had been thrown into was halted but his quarry had escaped along with a good number of the posse had escaped.

Photograph

Genbu83

Inerrant Lust

Kay. So I'm in a bit of a quandry.

On the one hand, Namid Reed is very interesting...  but on the other hand, a departure from the drifter archetype. Despite poking fun at 'True Grit' in the topic title, I very much enjoyed the subversion of your traditional western hero/heroine being... a 14 year old girl whose competence derives more from her sharp wit and dedication than her (almost non-existent) skill with a six shooter.

Also, all three groups are supposed to be the 'main characters' in a way. I'll use 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly' as an example, since the whole concept IS sort of based off of it afterall... Eli Wallach's character actually has the most scenes in the entire film by a healthy marigin, and Lee Van Cleef is absent for a good portion of it... Clint Eastwood is more often than not at the whims of fate than anything else, yet they all contribute fairly equally to the progession of the story, gaining and losing in their sole pursuit of the gold through three or so hours of misfortune...  and that was what made the final showdown one of the greatest moments in cinematic history. Never has five minutes and six seconds of standing around and staring eachother down been so exciting.

But I digress. What was I saying? Oh, right. Every group will be a 'main character', with the same amount of pull, story-wise. It'll be a tug-of-war, I hope.

I guess I have to make a decision, though. Unfortunately, I don't think I can work Calpurnia in without relegating her to a secondary character status, merely enabling other characters instead of directly influencing the story itself as all three groups will be doing.

As far as other groups go, we could use more bandits and lawmen. Honestly thought the former would be a popular choice. :P

Genbu83

what about working Clapurnia in as one of the bandits? i'm sure Redeve can pull off the femme fatale archetype.

RedEve

Laughing Hyena

Anyway shes not sidekick material. She to me has some huge potential.

Anyway RedEve maybe you should elaborate the back story so that your not just labeled as a sidekick?

Inerrant Lust

Well... no one really is supposed to be a side-kick, actually.

Every character should have equal pull in the story-making. Even the larger groups like the bandits will be more like co-conspiriters than truly subservient to anyone. At the start they'll be under a 'boss' but even then they're only bound by association to the guy, so that relationship is pretty much up to them. The lawmen are of course subservient to the law and authority itself but their methods will be their own. They could be as ruthless or as chivalrous as they'd like. Wait, I'm talking about main characters and secondary characters, not the roles themselves.

Errmmm, hmm. Well, I've decided. Namid, despite being a departure from what I originally had in mind, is in fact much more interesting in the drifter's role than what I expected. Having spoken to Alysanthia for a bit and having been convinced, I think she'll do well in that regard.

So we've got a drifter. Not quite a lone gunslinger drifter in the traditional but a.. uh.... moral fulcrum. Neither saintly not demonic... or neither extremely lawful nor chaotic (if you prefer not to ascribe your lawman or bandit in terms of good and evil.) She's got all the moral and character themes of the drifter archetype without the six shooters, hat, and duster. ...So, anyways, I digress again.

So we've got a drifter, and we've got the bare minimum (1 lawman, 1 bandit) to tell a story but I wouldn't mind more for variety's sake. Once I figure out who is who, I'll talk to everyone individually to get a feel about how to connect all three groups together.

As a guideline, I had been hesitant to set anything in stone, but I thought up of the following;

The Drifter wants to preserve someone/something, the Lawmen want to pursue someone/something, and the Bandits merely wish to improve themselves. Not too terribly creative but it was a guideline. Given Namid's backstory, the Drifter and the Lawmen have reversed roles.

Namid wants to pursue her husband's killer and murder, and the Lawmen are after the same man for a reason that's not quite the same as hers'. They either want to keep him or alive or their superiors wish to make a big public show about his trial for political reasons that completely miss the point that Namid wants made. Or maybe they're working for a corrupt boss who wants the killer alive for whatever reason.

On the other hands, the bandits may have a tenuous working relationship with the killer or may be after him for their own reasons (He stole from them, he has a treasure hidden somewhere, ect.) so Namid can 'drift' between working with and against both the lawmen and the bandits to her own ends. Heck, the lawmen and the bandits may end up working together to capture the killer alive so Namid won't kill him first.

Ect. ect. ect.

Laughing Hyena

Ah crap. *pouts cutely...* Hmmm.. on the other hand. Nothing says a bandit couldn't be a "good guy" either. And a hooker turning bandit also would not be so far fetched. Might have to tweak the role slightly to have it stick but it could work.

Alysanthia

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on January 09, 2011, 05:45:57 AM
Heck, the lawmen and the bandits may end up working together to capture the killer alive so Namid won't kill him first.

*Loads her gun and takes aim; smiling sweetly.* Hehe... Let'em try she'll get her revenge one way or another. >;)

RedEve

So is Calpurnia out or not? I'd just like a straight answer this time...

Inerrant Lust

Sorry, but I don't think it'll work. So, uh, yes, she's out.  :-\

Genbu83

i'm going to go ahead and bow out. I like what you're trying to do. It just seems like we're going to end up typing from a script. That is just something that does not mesh well with my style.

Good luck, and shoot straight.