Active Roleplayers page

Started by Vekseid, March 05, 2010, 01:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

https://elliquiy.com/forums/activeroleplayers.php

I'm open to suggestions about what else to include there.

Basically, I don't want to include anything that would bias against newly approved members (postcount, etc). And some things are a bit computationally expensive do do (though I might cache results) - but obviously it needs something else there to spice it up a bit. Just not sure what : )

Oniya

Could postcount be normalized as a function of time?  (Posts/days or somesuch?)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

That penalizes people who take a hiatus. I could make it recent, but that also requires some form of cached result and I want to spend mroe effort on the new CMS : )

Kip

And I guess it would also require tighter controls of what posts contribute towards such a count than is currently considered in post/day calculations.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

DrFier

If this is for helping people find roleplays, Orientation might be nice, but that's not worked into the O/Os page (well, I haven't checked in a while).
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

DarklingAlice

What about the medium we prefer to play in? I have no clue how easy or hard it would be to do this, but since the O/O system already asks us to toggle: "play by chat", "play by email", "play by post", "play by IM", perhaps which ones a person has selected could be indicated? Maybe a C, E, P, or M superscript next to the username?

Edit: Completely forgot to mention, this is awesome. Like extremely. I think it will make connecting with others looking for roleplay much easier.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

HockeyGod

Quote from: DrFier on March 05, 2010, 02:13:27 AM
If this is for helping people find roleplays, Orientation might be nice, but that's not worked into the O/Os page (well, I haven't checked in a while).

I agree with this!

Beguile's Mistress

What would post count be an indication of?  A high post count may not mean much if it isn't in role play activity.

Tags beneath the name might be a way to go.  My tags might be:  Plot/Character/sexual/NC.  They could be chosen from a list of prefernces.  Mine indicate I'm interested in a plot and character driven story with sexual content up to an NC rating.  It's a little simplistic I know.

Vekseid

I think I'll take the modes of play tags, add orientation and a custom blurb for members to add : )

Chevalier des Poissons

My suggestions:

1 - Make the 'Lady / Liege / Lord' a collapsable box, so the people could see each row at a time. Otherwise, as time goes on, it will give them an enormous page to load.

2 - Put the order of the players, if possible, by last time they went online. That will make people know who is more active or not, and schedule their preferences according to the activity of their partners.

3 - If that is not possible, then order it by alphabetical order, and then, instead of the link leading to their preferences, it would lead to their profiles. I know unapproved members can see some of that list too, but still, it would help to know when the person was last active, and it would be easier to track their posts

4 - Find a way to add statistics on the members page, again, if possible. That would make easier for them to see what kind of rp they like more.

Hope to help.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Vekseid

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on March 05, 2010, 04:17:21 PM
My suggestions:

1 - Make the 'Lady / Liege / Lord' a collapsable box, so the people could see each row at a time. Otherwise, as time goes on, it will give them an enormous page to load.

It's only loading the last 25 at the moment. It's inherently limited for that reason.

2 - Put the order of the players, if possible, by last time they went online. That will make people know who is more active or not, and schedule their preferences according to the activity of their partners.

That's what it is doing.

4 - Find a way to add statistics on the members page, again, if possible. That would make easier for them to see what kind of rp they like more.

Statistics are being pushed to the next revision - this entire thing is just a hack job >_>

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Vekseid on March 05, 2010, 04:24:36 PM
It's only loading the last 25 at the moment. It's inherently limited for that reason.

I see. Hm, if you put the collapsible box you may let it load even more than 25 people

QuoteThat's what it is doing.

yay me for the obvious suggestions =P

QuoteStatistics are being pushed to the next revision - this entire thing is just a hack job >_>

Hm, I have been there before.

Well, if it helps to know, you are doing great so far now.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Oreo

Having their timezone listed might be nice. It would give an indication of people that might be available when you are.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Oreo on March 05, 2010, 08:04:34 PM
Having their timezone listed might be nice. It would give an indication of people that might be available when you are.
Not necessarily true. I'm in the EST timezone but you are more likely to find me online between 9pm and 9am than the other way around.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Vekseid

Note that I've added blurbs and sexuality to the ons and offs form. Please be sure to fill those out if you are looking : )

Caeli

The ampersand doesn't work. :-( I settled on a plus sign, though.

I would actually prefer that the sexuality options be checkboxes, not radio buttons. I can't pick more than one, but I'm not content leaving it as "unspecified". >_>
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

I could make another option stating that it's flexible regarding roleplaying? O_o

Brandon

More organization might help, for instance splitting up sexual orientations. Then again thats one of my pet peeves about the system. It seemed very inintuitive for someone who (like me) plays heterosexual and homosexual characters (male and female respectively) but never bisexual ones. It seems to assume that your sex is also the sex of the characters you play and thus your sexuality is set as well when, for me, it changes based on the sex of the character I play...if that makes any sense
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Vekseid

Hmm.

Could make a simpler breakdown of the ons and offs proper that way I suppose. Would then focus more on each individual down the line (and segue into searching easier).

Torch

Quote from: Brandon on March 05, 2010, 09:59:13 PM
More organization might help, for instance splitting up sexual orientations. Then again thats one of my pet peeves about the system. It seemed very inintuitive for someone who (like me) plays heterosexual and homosexual characters (male and female respectively) but never bisexual ones. It seems to assume that your sex is also the sex of the characters you play and thus your sexuality is set as well when, for me, it changes based on the sex of the character I play...if that makes any sense

Yes, it makes sense because it puts me in a bit of a quandry, because I am a heterosexual female who only writes homosexual male characters.

I have no earthly idea what to put down, and I'm left with unspecified.  :-(
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Brandon

Quote from: Torch on March 05, 2010, 11:38:43 PM
Yes, it makes sense because it puts me in a bit of a quandry, because I am a heterosexual female who only writes homosexual male characters.

I have no earthly idea what to put down, and I'm left with unspecified.  :-(

Theres that, which is a similar position to mine, but theres also those players that play Futanari or other hermaphroditic characters. Im not sure how to define a Futa character who's into girls (or guys) in a roleplaying game. Nevermind a system as absolute seeming as the ons & offs listing
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Vekseid

Will be rethinking it somewhat, may reforge it into a simple search (with the recent members as default sortof like now).