The Way-Out Wacky Races.... Want to see if this will work

Started by Chrystal, December 27, 2011, 06:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

One of Hanna And Barbera's most enduring cartoon series.

I'd be interested to know if people think this could work as a RP.

I'd want one player for each car. Familiarity with the cartoon series is pretty much a prerequisite.
Car Number Car Name Driver(s) Name(s) Player
00 The Mean Machine Dick Dastardly and Muttley Chrystal
1 The Boldermobile The Slag Brothers (Avaliable)
2 The Creepy CoupéThe Gruesome Twosome (Avaliable)
3 The Convert-a-car Prof. Pat Pending (Avaliable)
4 The Crimson Haybailer The Red Max (Avaliable)
5 The Compact Pussycat Penelope Pitstop (Avaliable)
6 The Army Surplus Special Sergeant Blast and Private Meekly (Avaliable)
7 The Bulletproof Bomb The Anthill Mob (Avaliable)
8 The Arkansas Chuggabug Luke and Blubba Bear (Avaliable)
9 The Turbo Terrific Peter Perfect (Avaliable)
10 The buzzwaggon Rufus Roughcut and Sawtooth (Avaliable)

I would also play "The Narrator"

The reasons I will play Dick Dastardly are as follows:

1) He always sets traps for the other players that usually backfire
2) He never wins!

IF I get eleven players interested, I will relinquish the role of Dastardly and just GM and narrate.

IF I get more than that, I may allow players to "double up" - for example someone could play Dastardly and someone else play Muttley. But for the most part I would expect the "co-driver" to be a NPC controlled by the driver's player.

Players MUST be familiar with the special features of their vehicle.

Penelope Pitstop is the ONLY female character, and I would appreciate it if male players would allow a lady to play her. If we don't get any female players, then obviously I will accept a last minute entry for a male player.

HOW THE RACE(S) WILL WORK

I don't plan on using the tracks from the cartoon series, because I don't think they are detailed anywhere. What I will probably do is create a track using google maps or google earth or something and post it to the Wiki here. (Or I might just draw the things - it will probably be easier)

Players cars will have a certain number of attributes that I will work out and give an assigned value probably between 1 and 10 - for example, 00 might have an acceleration of 10, a top speed of 10, a manoeuvrability of 5 and a range of 2. (This is the only reason I can think of why Dick Dastardly didn't win every race. He clearly had the fastest car on the track and always ended up way out in front of everyone else, but always stopped to set some "dastardly" trap. The only logical reason was that the car's rocket engine would overheat after a few miles and thus he would have to stop to let it cool down!)

Play would have to be in rounds (rather like a board game) and each player will have  (say) 10 points to use each turn, that they can assign to acceleration (or braking), and manoeuvring. These values would be PMed to me each turn. As soon as I had everyone's assignments in I would do a Narrator post giving the new race order. Any player failing to submit a PM by a deadline would be said to have crashed or broken down.

Players can use the vehicle's special abilities to attempt to gain an advantage or to disadvantage another player. For this I will likely roll a dice against some sort of table to be devised, and PM back the result of the attempt along with the dice roll.

Each player will then post, based upon their actions each turn....

Oh, and do be aware that going flat out all the time will quite likely cause you to crash. I will be taking corners and hills into account - some how.

If I get enough interest, I will finalise the details of how this will all work. Obviously it's a system game with a "home made" system.

Link to the wikipedia entry on The Wacky Races

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Lightshock16

hmm. i'm definately interested. I LOVED this cartoon. I'd want to be either Peter Perfect or Rufus Roughcut. Still need to decide which though. :3

Chrystal

Wow. that was quick...!

Being first to post usually means you have longest to wait until the game actually starts, though. Hope you're okay with that?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Lightshock16

Hey that's fine with me. I can wait for other people, I'm patient. ^^