One year since Norway massacre

Started by Norwegian One, July 22, 2012, 04:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwegian One

Today, Norway marks that one year has passed since the 22nd of July 2011, when a Norwegian man carried out two deadly terrorist attacks in the heart of Norway; a bomb attack against the government building, killing 8 people, and a gun massacre at a Labour Youth summer camp, gunning down 69 teenagers.

I didn't personally know any of those killed or wounded in the attacks, but I still feel a great sorrow at what happened. In the school where I taught during my practice teaching this spring, three students had been shot dead at Utøya island, where the summer camp took place. In a way, Norway, a small and peaceful nation on the edge of the world, lost its innocence last year.

Hearing about the movie theater shooting in Colorado a few days ago was an ugly reminder of what everyone here in Norway experienced last summer, and I want everyone to know that I think about the victims of both attacks, both in US and in Norway, today. If you are reading this thread, take a moment to send your thoughts and best wishes to all those who were undeserving victims of these cowardly attacks, and those who are left behind and have to struggle with the memories of those lost.

Thank you.
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Izzie Aditi

“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

gaggedLouise

Speaking from just the other side of the "keel" (the mountain range that straddles the border regions of our two countries) I think Norway has handled the shock with true dignity from the first moment of fire, but sure enough there are societal and moral tensions and traumas that we will not get to see in the news coverage.

*stretching my hand out to Oslo on this sombre anniversary*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

Gigging in Oslo saturday night, Bruce Springsteen dedicated My City of Ruins to the victims, survivors and grieving friends and relatives and wider circle from both Oslo/Utöya and the Denver massacre (he might also have chosen Point Blank, but it's a more intimate song, and would have been almost unbearably poignant in the setting of this memory). There have been persistent rumours that Bruce and some of his band would be taking part in the memorial concert that will be played at Utöya tonight (and broadcast on Norwegian tv as well as around Scandinavia), but no confirmation, probably on purpose: the last thing he or the grieving nation would want is the concert being viewed as essentially a Bruce show.

Beguile's Mistress

I add my prayers to the millions of others from all over the world for the people of Norway and Colorado and anywhere that there is hurt and fear.  Everyone who holds out a hand in friendship helps to make the lives of others better.

Isobel

Girls R Sexy!

gaggedLouise

The memorial concert tonight (at the square in front of Oslo's City Hall, not at Utöya) made a very powerful, openhearted tribute to the victims, the survivors and the national community that had been attacked. A dozen singers and bands performed their own music, and in between writers and public figures spoke, all of these addressing the issues raised by the tragedy and affirming that democracy and an open society are not something to be given up. And yes, Springsteen did show up, and shone softly. These are two of the standout moments of the concert.

Swedish-Iranian singer Laleh Pourkarim doing her own "Some Die Young", which has deservedly seen a lot of airplay in Norway during the spring:

Laleh - Some Die Young Live @ Oslo Norway 2012-07-22

And Bruce Springsteen and Little Steven performing "We Shall Overcome":

Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome - Live in Oslo 22/7/2012

Norwegian One

It was a powerful concert, to be sure, and it was amazing to see Springsteen there as well. Thank you for posting the clips, gaggedLouise :)
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.