News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Disney Buys Marvel Comics

Started by Bayushi, August 31, 2009, 09:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayushi

Disney Buys Marvel Comics for $4 Billion

QuoteThe Walt Disney Company said Monday that it would buy the comic book giant Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.

Under the terms of the deal, Marvel shareholders will receive a $30 a share in cash plus about 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. The boards of both companies have approved the deal, which was valued at $50 a share.

With the acquisition, Disney will acquire more than 5,000 Marvel characters, including Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and the X-men.

Gee, WHAT COULD GO WRONG WITH THAT?!

Welcome to the pussification of what was a once one of the grittier comic book companies, which didn't shy away from violence or other 'questionable' subjects.

Cause we all know how Disney avoids said 'subjects'. While we may get lucky and Disney will let Marvel keep doing its thing as it has been, I sincerely doubt that will happen. I foresee a permanent end to the Marvel vs Capcom series, as well as the violence that's been shown in Marvel-based films as of late.

This is all conjecture of course, but I won't hold my breath.

*sigh*

Fragile Dreams

WHY?!?!?! Curse you Stan Lee for selling Marvel!!!! *Hugs his comics and cries*
Now we are going to see Wolvering flirting with Daisy and Rogue going with Micky to make Bandit jealous. >.<

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

upanddown4life

Well, maybe this could work. Imagine the new possibilities for movies! Picture this: Reed Richards is up in whatever they call their house now, trying to persuade the jonas brothers that pants aren't necessary and asking if they wanted to see why they called him "Stretch" before he got his powers. Pan out to a block away, where Tinkerbell is using her wings on something brown, lumpy and pendulous. Pan up, and that object turns out to be Deadpool's balls. Mr. Wilson is giggling, as his sack is very ticklish and those wings are made for ticklin'. And what's he pointing at the room where the scene started? Why, it's a sniper rifle! Four loud bangs, composed by Sir Elton John and later covered by those Kidz Bop kids, later, the room is filled with bodies, one of which is very rubbery and the rest effeminate and untalented. The Thing comes in and gasps at the scene before barking out "It's clobbering time!! Ho ho!" in an ear-splitting falsetto.

In all seriousness, Disney movies are not as non-violent as people think. Someone almost always dies. Sure, they pan away before the blood shoots out the back of the jet engine or the priest hits the ground, but by gum, those fuckers are dead. Now that they have Marvel's soul, they'll never have to reject a horrible comic idea because of their budget, they'll put out 300% more stupid merchandise and every issue of every book will be about the girlfriend of the title character being kidnapped by a mumbling brute and too much water. The future is lookin' bright!

By the way, is it weird that it makes me slightly...frisky that a woman started this thread and cares?

Will

Yeah, this can't be anything but awful.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Daeva

I wonder how, if at all, this will affect Universals Islands of Adventure. One of the islands is Marvels Superhero Island, and its only about 10 minutes away from Disney World.
Absences Updated 6/15/22 Selectively Accepting New Stories
Ons and Offs & Current Story List | Desired RP's

Oniya

Just to point something out:  All the Marvel movies were put out by MGM, which is tied to Disney (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/mgm/st-overview.htm).  The Disney X-D network has been airing Marvel-based cartoons for a while now (X-Men Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, Spectacular Spiderman, the new Iron Man cartoon...).

It looks like Disney and Marvel have been 'in bed' with each other for some time, and have just finally decided to 'get married'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

upanddown4life

Quote from: Oniya on August 31, 2009, 12:17:20 PMIt looks like Disney and Marvel have been 'in bed' with each other for some time, and have just finally decided to 'get married'.

It actually sounds kind of sweet when you say it like that. They were living together in sin, but Disney finally made an honest man out of Marvel. Awwwww.

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on August 31, 2009, 12:17:20 PM

It looks like Disney and Marvel have been 'in bed' with each other for some time, and have just finally decided to 'get married'.

Might be the case, but I’m concerned with Disney getting ownership and thus intellectual control of Marvel. My vehement dislike of Disney is no secret.

Elayne

Disney Properties

Keep in mind that Disney is a major company.  It's publically traded and owns literally dozens of companies that you wouldn't think of as being 'pussified'.

For instance, it owns Miramax Films, which produced Pulp Fiction.

Also, keep in mind that the largest share holder of Disney is Steven Jobs of Apple.  In other words, Disney of course will make adult products too, because adults have more money.  They don't give a damn about 'values' or 'kids'.  They care about profit.  And right now, Marvel is making money at the movies (Iron Man 2, Thor, Avengers, Incredible Hulk 2, Nick Fury, all coming out in the next 2-3 years), so Disney wants to get in and take their cut.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Revolverman

Disney is all about money, and they won't be stupid enough to mess with the formula that's making so much money for marvel.

Bayushi

Quote from: Elayne on August 31, 2009, 01:54:48 PMAlso, keep in mind that the largest share holder of Disney is Steven Jobs of Apple.  In other words, Disney of course will make adult products too, because adults have more money.  They don't give a damn about 'values' or 'kids'.  They care about profit.  And right now, Marvel is making money at the movies (Iron Man 2, Thor, Avengers, Incredible Hulk 2, Nick Fury, all coming out in the next 2-3 years), so Disney wants to get in and take their cut.

I'm more worried about the 'edgier' comic books, to be honest. X-Men has explored a lot of 'edgy' societal issues, like racism, sexism, slavery, and have even touched on homosexuality. I do NOT want to see a Disney filter on a great comic series.

Problem is, Disney is manipulative and controlling. They have been known to acquire the rights to a 'competing' product, and then effectively kill it off. For instance, the Muppets have all but disappeared, outside of a bad pizza commercial or two. This is what I mostly worry about, outside of the Disney filter. I'd honestly rather see Marvel die completely than have it subjected to the Kiddy filter that Disney employs.

Pumpkin Seeds

Doesn't Disney own an adult film company too?

Mathim

Anyone who hasn't seen that Jonas Brothers episode of South Park needs to watch it RIGHT NOW. You'll see what Mickey's really up to.

And seriously, this is godawful. Now every Marvel movie is going to be a clone of Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer. Pure PG kiddie crap. Not that about 70% of the other Marvel movies were that great but at least they weren't aimed at first-graders.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Beautiful Poison

I really don't think that we're gonna see a huge difference in the way Marvel is run and the stuff it puts out. I think what Disney really wanted to do was get a corner on the "Boys" stuff. Disney has always been angled at females, young ones at that. They probably took notice of how much money Marvel has been pulling in, particularly with the movies that have have been coming out, and decided to jump on the opportunity if one was to be made.

Also, I just don't think Stan Lee would give up his baby to just anyone. Course, I could be wrong, but I'm reserving judgement until I see some results from the buy out.

~ Salice
Reply Status N/A. ( Updated 19/01/2024 )
Posting Frequency - N/A
Availability - Not Accepting New Stories

Returned
A bit about Me - Ons/Offs - Story Requests - Absences and Apologizes 
"I'm the total package that got fucked up in shipping and handling"

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mnemaxa

I have little hope for Marvel, to be honest.  Disney backstabs it's partners (see Pixar) fairly often.  It's subsidiaries are fair game.

They will definitely not like the issues that crop up in comic series such as Runaways, the Loners, or the Punisher.  All three will see a marked decrease in story and will eventually be put to rest.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Machete

Quote from: Salice Ronsharii on September 05, 2009, 01:45:49 AMI really don't think that we're gonna see a huge difference in the way Marvel is run and the stuff it puts out. I think what Disney really wanted to do was get a corner on the "Boys" stuff. Disney has always been angled at females, young ones at that. They probably took notice of how much money Marvel has been pulling in, particularly with the movies that have have been coming out, and decided to jump on the opportunity if one was to be made.

Also, I just don't think Stan Lee would give up his baby to just anyone. Course, I could be wrong, but I'm reserving judgement until I see some results from the buy out.

~ Salice
Nor do I.  Although, like Akiko, I was concerned about what would happen to Marvel's edgier properties, its MAX imprint, more precisely, which publishes "Adults Only" comics, such as The Punisher: Frank Castle.

Inkidu

I'm afraid, and righteously so. All I can think of is Kingdom Hearts and that was just Disney and Square-Enix teaming up. think of what horror Disney will unleash on an owned company!

Iron Man 2: Tony Stark Helps Goofy install his computer.
Blade 4: Vampires are people too.
The Incredible Hulk 2: Anger Management Class

The horror... the horror...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beautiful Poison

Well one thing's for sure. It's gonna be interesting. One thing you'll see me say often is "Well, it wasn't as bad as Spiderman 3"

While I am worried, I also know better than to judge before I see what they do to screw it up. That's just my opinion. I've been happily surprised before when I was sure something was going to be a complete mistake.

Example. Heath Ledger as the Joker. ( Yes, I know that's out of context but still! )

But if Disney screws up Iron Man... heads will ROLL!

~ Salice
Reply Status N/A. ( Updated 19/01/2024 )
Posting Frequency - N/A
Availability - Not Accepting New Stories

Returned
A bit about Me - Ons/Offs - Story Requests - Absences and Apologizes 
"I'm the total package that got fucked up in shipping and handling"