ARCTICA [Story Emphasis] [Hard Sci-Fi] [Closed]

Started by Question Mark, June 21, 2014, 12:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Linna, no need for an apology or to feel bad, I should of made a point of saying that he was clean shaven. I don't think that there is a huge rush, and I REALLY do appreciate the help.

Question mark, no worries. I'm not feeling like a neglected spouse quite yet. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Question Mark

Finally got those PMs out to you two.  Also, it seems that many of the people who contacted me privately have lost interest.  Well, the deadline is several days away yet.  Here's hoping!

ALERT: A new item has been added to the Brief.

Question Mark

To Blinkin and Linna, I pose a question: should we extend the deadline and hold out for additional applicants, or shall we begin on schedule?

GloomCookie

Referred the game to a friend of mine.  Known him for a long time, great writer, and is genuinely interested.  So... we should have our third and can start on time as soon as his sheet is up.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Blinkin

If we need to wait for a third player... didn't you have some people in PM? then I'm ok with waiting.

Linna, could you summarize what the text in the jpg's says?

Thanks
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Question Mark

Quote from: Blinkin on July 01, 2014, 06:16:54 AM
If we need to wait for a third player... didn't you have some people in PM? then I'm ok with waiting.

I do, or rather did.  They've been quiet for quite some time.

Chreestafer

I have some real interest in this game, thinking some sort of military personnel.   Later today I can get you a brief that hopefully fits your liking.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Question Mark

Quote from: Chreestafer on July 01, 2014, 07:33:49 AM
I have some real interest in this game, thinking some sort of military personnel.   Later today I can get you a brief that hopefully fits your liking.

Excellent!  Were you the referral Linna mentioned?

isambard

That was me, actually. I'm just getting the last few bits into the Dossier for your perusal.

Interestingly, also went the military route. Ex-Royal Engineer, now consultant to the MoD. Dossier to follow shortly.

isambard

WARNING: CONFIDENTIAL
VIOLATION RESULTANT IN CONSIDERATION OF NATO PENAL CODE A-0111, INDEFINITE DETENTION

Please fill out the following form and confirm all facts within are true before submitting.  If there are discrepancies, or if the dossier concerns someone not yourself, please correct the errors and inform Commander King.  If the information you provide conflicts with our records, NATO Penal Code A-0111, Indefinite Detention, will be considered.

FULL NAME: Alec Wyn Llewellyn
ACADEMIC DEGREES: Mechanical Engineering BSc University of Cambridge, 2001; Structural Engineering MSc University of Cambridge, 2002.
CITIZENRY: United Kingdom
SEX: Male
DATE of BIRTH: 8th March, 1976
PLACE of BIRTH: Aberystwyth, Wales
CURRENT ADDRESS: 35 Marchwood Close, Nottingham, NG8 1PJ, UK
NEXT of KIN: Sion Llewellyn (brother)

APPEARANCE:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
ETHNICITY: Celtic British
HEIGHT: 185cm
WEIGHT: 102kg
SKIN COLOR: White
EYE COLOR: Grey
HAIR COLOR/STYLE: Brown, short
TATTOOS: 'UBIQUE' - left shoulder
BIRTHMARKS or SCARS: None
OTHER NOTABLE MARKS or PHYSICAL TRAITS: Shrapnel scar above left eye, moving towards hairline.

BIOGRAPHY: Alec entered the Sandhurst Military Academy at the age of 18 to begin officer training, sponsored by the Corps of Royal Engineers. Attained commission as a Second Lieutenant in 1995. Led a combat engineering troop in Kosovo in 1998, helping to construct the operating bases of the NATO peacekeeping effort. As part of the Army's personal development programme, he achieved entrance to Cambridge to read mechanical engineering, and then a master's in structural engineering, finishing his studies in 2002. This meant he missed the start of the Afghan War, but was sent with 39 Engineer Regiment RE to begin construction of Camp Bastion in 2006. It was during this tour that his unit came under mortar attack while travelling to construct another forward operating base. Three of his troop were wounded, another gravely so, and he received light injuries of his own.

His career continued, with him mainly being deployed in support roles building infrastructure and removing that of the enemy. Several times he found himself attached to Signals units operating deep in unfriendly territory, gaining a finer appreciation for covert operations.

He retired from the RE as a Major in 2008. The MoD kept him on as an advisor and investigator, which led him to some interesting situations until he landed on the government's radar for the ARCTICA project. He accepted their 'offer'.

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Civilian consultant to Ministry of Defence

PERSONALITY: Generally reserved, dry humour, but quick-thinking and adaptable. Works easily as part of a team, or leading it.
PHOBIAS: None
HOBBIES: Reading, rock climbing, bonsai
RELIGIOUS BELIEFS: Agnostic/atheist
CRIMES: None
ADDICTIONS: Nicotine, 1994-present.

CURRENT PHYSICAL ILLNESSES: None
CURRENT MENTAL, NEUROLOGICAL, or PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESSES: None
CURRENT MEDICATIONS: None
VACCINATIONS: MMR, DTaP, Lyme's Disease, Meningitis, BCG, Malaria, Hepatitis A/B/E, Smallpox, Rabies, Chicken pox, Influenza, Polio, Anthrax, Cholera.

PHYSICAL FITNESS REPORT: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-2 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]
OFFICIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM: [Note: No input required.  Please Attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-5 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the Form here]

ADDITIONAL NOTES: [If needed]

OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS: RESERVED: DO NOT WRITE HERE

SURVEY -- PLEASE COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.

In your own words, describe why you conduct the research you do: Always been the 'public service' type. And this pays more, allows the retention of the Army pension, and gives plenty of opportunity for travel.

Do you own a personal telescope: No
... If Yes, Describe what you use it for:

Have you ever been to Antarctica before: Yes
... If Yes, Have you ever been to Vostok Station before: No
... If Yes, What was the date, length, and purpose of your visit: October/November 2010, two months. A study into the feasibility of adding an underground complex of laboratories to Rothera Research Station.

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED TO THE CRUEL STARS AND DEMANDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT: [DO NOT DESPAIR]

Have you ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer, elephantitis, chronic lymphedema, or a tropical parasite: No
... If Yes, Elaborate:
... If Yes, Are you sexually active:

Are you trained in the operation of military assault rifles, pistols, hunting rifles, or any other firearm: Yes
... If Yes, Elaborate: Military service from the age of 18 - trained in the use of various assault rifles and pistols. Can operate larger weaponry (including light armoured vehicles) as part of a crew.

List any medical certifications and/or licenses you currently possess: Current qualification in First Aid and CPR. Past (lapsed) training in battlefield triage.

Are you certified to pilot a C-130 Hercules aeroplane: Yes

Chreestafer

Quote from: Question Mark on July 01, 2014, 08:13:38 AM
Excellent!  Were you the referral Linna mentioned?

I was not,  however I will gladly bow out for isambard to take the spot.  From what I read, at least how I portrayed your message, it seems like you're only using three players so I wish you the best of luck and I'll be reading up on this as it is very interesting.   

It you ever open up to more players I'll definitely be aboard
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

isambard

Quote from: Chreestafer on July 01, 2014, 09:43:17 AM
I was not,  however I will gladly bow out for isambard to take the spot.  From what I read, at least how I portrayed your message, it seems like you're only using three players so I wish you the best of luck and I'll be reading up on this as it is very interesting.   

It you ever open up to more players I'll definitely be aboard
Do post your Dossier, if you have one. If QM chooses yours over mine for a better game, I'm still going to read it!

Chreestafer

I don't have one yet, was going to work on it tonight,  so all is ok :) good luck
Ons and Offs
F-List

Question Mark

Quote from: Chreestafer on July 01, 2014, 10:06:29 AM
I don't have one yet, was going to work on it tonight,  so all is ok :) good luck

Hmm.

I've been considering taking on four players, if there was a demand for it.  So far the dossiers have been excellent, and I've found no good reason to try and eliminate one of them.  Submit your dossier, and we'll see if it works. 

Question Mark

zoey.calhoun@MONA

sean.gallager@MONA

alec.llewellyn@MONA

I always encourage discussion amongst the players, in private, away from the GM's eyes.  This can be OOC, of course, or IC.

GloomCookie

I'm up to conspiring against the GM.  God only knows how many times I've had my own players fuck me over with half-baked ideas.  Except you, Isambard, you're a saint.
My DeviantArt

Blinkin

It's the players job to confound, confuse and frustrate the GM, thats all the fun the GM gets... but I'm not sure what I can do to aid in that noble effort. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

I would like to point out that if the NSA gets its kicks from monitoring emails for fun, I'm pretty sure this MONA group is gonna get its knickers in a twist if they DON'T monitor our emails.  So... I'm all for sending emails where the GM can see, since that means if we send something it's getting read by the guys who probably have a pool going as to who sends a nude pic of themselves first.
My DeviantArt

Question Mark

Quote from: Linna on July 01, 2014, 09:14:29 PM
I would like to point out that if the NSA gets its kicks from monitoring emails for fun, I'm pretty sure this MONA group is gonna get its knickers in a twist if they DON'T monitor our emails.  So... I'm all for sending emails where the GM can see, since that means if we send something it's getting read by the guys who probably have a pool going as to who sends a nude pic of themselves first.

That's... actually a really good idea.  So, OOC chatter is private, or can be shared with me if you wish, but all "private" IC correspondences must be sent to me in addition to their intended recipient.  Linna is right: not a single thing Dr. Gallegar, Dr. Calhoun, Mjr. Llewellyn, or Chreestafar's forthcoming character do, say, or write will go unmonitored by the Powers That Be.

For the time being, emails should be restricted to PMs.  Clearance for civilian adjuncts wishing to modify the Brief is forthcoming.  I should note that the civilian adjuncts have view-only access to the dossiers and Brief, and are able to send emails within MONA.

Damn, I wish I had thought of that.

Red Stella

Just in case and because this is so damned intriguing, I'm working on a dossier.  I'll have it done by tomorrow. 

---
Red Stella

Question Mark

Quote from: Red Stella on July 01, 2014, 11:41:07 PM
Just in case and because this is so damned intriguing, I'm working on a dossier.  I'll have it done by tomorrow. 

---
Red Stella

I'm glad you find it damned intriguing, as opposed to meh intriguing.  I'll be keeping and eye out for your dossier.

Red Stella

I'm not if meh intriguing is possible, but it's stuck in my brain now.

Question Mark, dossier on its way to you. 

Question Mark

Quote from: Red Stella on July 02, 2014, 11:08:48 PM
WARNING: CONFIDENTIAL
VIOLATION RESULTANT IN CONSIDERATION OF NATO PENAL CODE A-0111, INDEFINITE DETENTION

Please fill out the following form and confirm all facts within are true before submitting.  If there are discrepancies, or if the dossier concerns someone not yourself, please correct the errors and inform Commander King.  If the information you provide conflicts with our records, NATO Penal Code A-0111, Indefinite Detention, will be considered.

FULL NAME: Rebekah Emily Graham
ACADEMIC DEGREES: Bachelor of Science Geology and Archaeology, University College Dublin, 2009. MA Archaeology, University College Dublin, 2011.
CITIZENRY: Canadian/English (dual citizenship).
SEX: Female
DATE of BIRTH: November 14, 1998.
PLACE of BIRTH: Victoria, BC, Canada
CURRENT ADDRESS: #1204, 178 High Holborn, Covent Garden, London WC1V 7AA
NEXT of KIN: Patrick Graham, father. 

APPEARANCE:
ETHNICITY: Caucasian
HEIGHT: 5' 8"
WEIGHT: 135 lbs.
SKIN COLOR: Fair
EYE COLOR: Blue-gray
HAIR COLOR/STYLE: Dark brown, short.
TATTOOS: None
BIRTHMARKS or SCARS: Four-inch thin line scar on left forearm.
OTHER NOTABLE MARKS or PHYSICAL TRAITS:

BIOGRAPHY: Rebekah Graham was born to Patrick Graham and Elizabeth Graham, née Davis, while her parents were stationed in Canada with the Foreign Service.  The family returned to the UK when Rebekah was five years old. 

Rebekah showed an interest in the sciences and archaeology during travels with her parents.  She enrolled in University College Dublin at the age of seventeen, to pursue a degree in the institutions geology and archaeology (combined) program. 

After completing her BSc she continued on in the UCD graduate school, where she obtained her Masters degree in Archaeology.  During her time at UCD, she participated in a variety of archaeological and geoarchaeological projects in Europe and Iceland. 

She is currently working on a geoarchaeological research project for the Museum of London Archaeology, combining the use of auguring and LiDAR mapping in assessing current and future dig sites.

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Research Fellow, Museum of London Archaeology.

PERSONALITY: Friendly, loyal, focused, good sense of humour.  She values competence and common sense.
PHOBIAS: None.
HOBBIES: Cooking.  TaiChi.  Swimming.
RELIGIOUS BELIEFS: Catholic
CRIMES: None
ADDICTIONS: None

CURRENT PHYSICAL ILLNESSES: None
CURRENT MENTAL, NEUROLOGICAL, or PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESSES: None
CURRENT MEDICATIONS: Antihistamines (seasonal allergies, depending on location).
VACCINATIONS: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Vaccination Form A to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]

PHYSICAL FITNESS REPORT: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-2 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]
OFFICIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM: [Note: No input required.  Please Attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-5 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the Form here]

ADDITIONAL NOTES: Allergic to bee stings.  Carries Epi-pen.

OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS: RESERVED: DO NOT WRITE HERE

SURVEY -- PLEASE COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.

In your own words, describe why you conduct the research you do: I believe geoarchaeology is the next step in the ongoing development of the science of archaeology, and the key to uncovering previously unknown history.

Do you own a personal telescope: No
... If Yes, Describe what you use it for: [Make and model optional]

Have you ever been to Antarctica before: No
... If Yes, Have you ever been to Vostok Station before:
... If Yes, What was the date, length, and purpose of your visit:

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED TO THE CRUEL STARS AND DEMANDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT: [DO NOT DESPAIR]

Have you ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer, elephantitis, chronic lymphedema, or a tropical parasite: No
... If Yes, Elaborate:
... If Yes, Are you sexually active:

Are you trained in the operation of military assault rifles, pistols, hunting rifles, or any other firearm: Yes
... If Yes, Elaborate: Hunting rifles (bolt action, semi-auto), shotgun (various) - family tradition of hunting.

List any medical certifications and/or licenses you currently possess: EMT - wilderness certification.

Are you certified to pilot a C-130 Hercules aeroplane: No

Auguring, huh?  Well isn't that interesting....  I think Dr. Graham will be an excellent addition to this operation.

ALERT: The ARCTICA and MONA systems are undergoing brief maintenance following a technical upgrade.  Please refrain from opening any unusual emails during this time, as they may contain potentially malicious software.

isambard

I think that birth date might be off... but that's a minor nitpick in an interesting Dossier. :)

Red Stella

Quote from: isambard on July 03, 2014, 04:24:34 AM
I think that birth date might be off... but that's a minor nitpick in an interesting Dossier. :)

Aargh!!  Yes, the date is off.  Thanks for catching my typo, it should be 1988.  *bangs head on desk*