A Bard's Tale (Recruiting for high fantasy adventure!)

Started by Phoenixrisen, April 18, 2011, 10:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubby

*Does a dance, is accepted into the fold! Runs off to at least make a start on her character!*

grovercjuk

Are there any slots fee in the game?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: bubby on April 29, 2011, 01:56:21 PM
*Does a dance, is accepted into the fold! Runs off to at least make a start on her character!*
Yay.  ;D
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Phoenixrisen

I'm about to start working on the IC nowish, just so that you all know. I'll link it here when I have it up.
Quote from: grovercjuk on April 29, 2011, 03:13:28 PM
Are there any slots fee in the game?

We've got quite a few people at the moment, I kind of want to see how things go once we get it started before I add anyone new, but if we can manage more, I'll let you know. :-) Thank you for the interest though.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Phoenixrisen

And they're up! *Does a little dance.*

So, here's the Official OOC. Please stop by here first, and transfer your character over there, so that we have them all in one close compacted area. All the character sheets that are up at this point have been approved, so feel free to move them. I would still like to do approvals through here, as long as that won't be a problem with staff.

Now onto what you have all been waiting for. The first post is up, and hopefully gives you an idea of the mood at this moment. If anyone isn't clear on something let me know, and I can fix the post so that we're all on the same page, and know what's going on.
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

Kate

grovercjuk

In all group games there will be one that needs to drop out for real life issues soon watch this space if you were very keen.

grovercjuk

Phoenixrisen

I've begun recruiting again, now that things seem to be starting toward activity. We've already begun, but we haven't gotten all that far, and bringing in new people would be easy. I'm primarily looking for warrior type characters, but I wouldn't turn away sneaky, or mage characters so long as they were as well thought through as the ones that are already active. I do need a warrior or two though, and at least one character with less than pure motives would be great.
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

AlexStone

Well, if you need a fighting type, allow me to try to make one for you.  Let me know what you think- if you need more, just say so.

Basic Information:
Name: Allistair.  Sir Allistair.
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary Knight

Appearance:
Age: Somewhere around 30ish- the years are a hard on a traveling sellsword, no matter how noble his birth.
Hair: Blond
Eyes: Brown
Height and Weight: 6 feet and an inch, 210 pounds.
Physical Description: Of generally bulky build, Allistair enjoys the benefits of a high protein diet and heavy work under armor and with weapons while on horseback.  He keeps his (Slightly thinning now) hair long, since trimming it is generally a pain and a mercenary is expected to be scruffy anyway.  This means a bushy beard as well, though if he was being presented at court (unlikely as that is) he cleans up well and properly.  His muscles are bulkier rather than defined, leaving a broad back and shoulders and powerful legs, from riding and marching under armor.  While riding in the country, he usually wears tight riding pants, tall boots, a heavy tunic and cloak to keep the weather off.  In battle, this gets tossed aside for a heavy armor, and a tunic and shield red, with golden lion rampant.  It's easy to tell what he is and what he's about- stealth and subtlety aren't really his strong suit.  His body is marked by several scars from scrapes and duels, as well as a few lumps along his ribs from poorly mended bones.

Personality:
Age: It depends on the circumstance.  When it come to war, like a grizzled veteran.  With money, more like a child.  With women, well, if they're for sale, like a grizzled veteran, with someone his equal that he actually likes, well, it's back to being an awkward kid again.
Likes: The bight sun on an open trail, charge of a destrider, the feeling of victory, comradeship and the accolades of his peers.
Dislikes: The sinking feeling in anticipation of combat, having to worry where his next meal is coming from, being laughed at and meaning it.
Phobias: Imprisonment, being at other's mercy.
When it comes to interacting with others I: Will act with courtesy, even to those of lower rank.  Your superiors have earned it, your peers deserve it, and your lessers will appreciate your magnanimity.  However, insults are not to be accepted and should be returned.  Rivals should be bested in everything, and enemies crushed.
I believe that: Oaths and promises should be kept when given.  Honorable foes deserve honorable combat, preferably single combat face to face.  Liars and cheats are not to be trusted, and should be shunned.  At the end of the day, they don't ask you how you won, they ask if you won, however.  This last one really matters the most, in spite of everything that went before.

Equipment:
Weapons and Armor: A suit of heavy, clanking armor, complete with greathelm and shield, offering protection even if slowing movement.  A sword, well edged but pitted with a history of deflected blows and near misses.  A pair of lances, in case one breaks, and a trio of javelins, for tossing and throwing, and a mace lying about in case it's needed.  This, of course, requires a destrider, Palermo, and a pack horse, Jones.  And to save the destrider, a palfry, Winnans.  And a servant, who doesn't do much otherwise, Hans.
I never leave home without:  Well, after weapons and armor and horses an a sniveling manservant, what else do you need?  A blanket, I guess.
When it comes to money I'm: Material rich and cash poor.  Money is for spending.

Other Important Stuff:
When I'm scared I: Grab my sword and looks around to see what everyone else is doing.
The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is: A family of my own.
I'm lonely when: I'm being ridiculed or shunned.
It hurts when: I'm not taken seriously, pushed aside, or forgotten about.
The things you need to know about my past are: I'm the discarded third son of a noble house rich enough to outfit me but not rich enough to keep me.  I've been left to make my fortune by my wits and sword arm, and when I run out of one I have to use the other.  I'm more of a gifted than skilled combatant- there are many who know fighting better than I, but not a lot who can jump in without thinking better than I can.  I've bested men in single combat, stylized combat like jousts, and even in a few battles.  However, I haven't really been heavily tested, either against many or a real equal.  I've been lucky that way, and I know it-- and doubt myself sometimes as a result.  And sometimes, I talk a bigger game than I actually play. 
I wish to go to the Shadow because: I need to get out of here, pronto.

Phoenixrisen

He's certainly approved, but I did have a few questions. I sent them to you via PM, because they're not necessarily things that need to go into your profile. Just thought I'd give you the heads up here. :-)
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

Phoenixrisen

Update: Information cleaned up for ease of use for possible players. All pertinent information discussed in this thread has been added to the first post. Please look there for it there.

Any and all types of characters are being accepted at this time. If you're interested post here, or go on ahead and poke my PM box. I look forward to hearing from any interested parties. :D
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

Slaven

Hesitantly posting this, but figured I would get it out there. I'm not completely sure if I'm going to officially join the game or not, but Phoenix knows all the details on that. Hope you enjoy!

Basic Information:
Name:
Tais Chayrak

Race:
Human Shifter

Profession:
Craftsman/Armor Smith

Appearance:
30ish

Hair:
Snow white

Eyes:
Brown, almost black

Height and Weight:
Height:
Human: 6'7
Shifted: 5'3 tall, 9'0 long
Weight:
Human: 340 pounds
Shifted: 1350 pounds

Physical Description: Physique, tattoos, general clothing and hair wear choices if not covered elsewhere, skin tone, scars, anything else that comes to mind.

Human:

The young man is not obese in any form or fashion despite his weight. Even from birth, he was considered large and disproportionate compared to others of his age. Such has been both his advantage and his curse. His bronze colored skin is stretched across a muscular, well built man that almost seems to be more bull than anything. He has a strong, broad chest and powerful, bulky arms that have been formed from years of tossing hay and mucking stables. His legs are large and built up from pulling plows through a fields and pushing tilling equipment. His overall frame seems to be almost monstrous, a giant among men. This comes from the fact that he isn't a man, at least not fully. His frame is littered with assorted scars with more on his hands than anywhere. Years of hard labor and working accidents lead to such injuries.

Because of his sheer size, his fashion choices have always been limited. He is often seen wearing large, droopy, plain colored linen shirts that seem like they were originally sheets. This look is mostly rooted from the fact that they are actually once sheets as sheets provide enough cloth to cover his frame. They have a hole cut at the center so he can pull it over his head and then the rest is trimmed and sewn together so that it has sleeves and fully covers his torso, like an actual shirt. He also adorns patched together pants that seem to be made of a tightly knit burlap-type of material. Cloth simply never was strong enough to hold up to the farming environment, so he had been forced to revert to tougher materials that are normally used as sacks, used for carrying large amounts of heavy materials. It isn't always comfortable, but it works.

His hair is naturally snowy white and is kept as short as possible. He prefers not to be completely bald as hair helps protect his head from the sun, but he keeps it just long enough to brush along the back of his neck and the top of his ears. It is a jagged, uneven, and unkept cut that really isn't for ‘style', but or being useful while not being in the way. For him, his hair isn't all that important and is often showed due to the fact it is messy and never brushed or combed. He is kept well shaven an is virtually without hair on anywhere other that his head. Surprisingly, despite being a shifter he has had a hard time growing hair. His eyes are a deep brown, almost black. The pupil and iris are larger than most, leaving little room for the sclera. If anything his
eyes are the one feature that give him away as not being fully human, at least to a trained eye.

Shifted:

In his shifted form, Tais is a massive and deadly polar bear. The natural size of his shifted form is largely what has led to his massive human form. His polar bear form is full covered in thick, beautiful, snowy white fur from snout to end. He weighs a massive 1350 pounds, his body extends nine feet from one end to the other, and his shoulder stands at five foot and three inches tall.. His size is a little above average in terms of the bear family he comes from, but most have never had to deal with his kin. This causes him to be quite the intimidating sight. He is armed with 42 sharp teeth meant for injury, consisting of canines and jagged premolars and molars as well as a set of six inch claws on each paw. The large creature is also protected by 4.5 inches of coarse, dense fur followed by tough leathery skin and finally a three inch layer of blubber,
making him incredibly resilient.

Personality:
35ish, acts far older than he should.

Kind people
Animals

Dislikes:
Being forced to shift
People who intend to use him
‘Simple’ or ‘Trivial’ work

Phobias:
Being responsible for something horrible
Losing his humanity to his shifted side

When it comes to interacting with others I:
He withdraws from others and watches from afar. He doesn’t speak and rarely communicates in any manner unless he somehow gets the rare feeling of trust for someone else.

I believe that:Moral values go here.
Things happen for a reason and that they are usually to tech someone a lesson. More often than not, it’s to teach him a lesson. Most people in this world are either naturally evil or selfish and they are there to prey on those who are not of that mind set. Still, it’s better to watch than to get involved..Most times.

Equipment:
Weapons and Armor: If you're a mage with battle abilities, this is where you tell us about them as well.
Weapons? Armor? Tais carries none of the sort! Unless you count his ridiculous strength as a weapon, or his polar bear form.

I never leave home without: Items of personal value belong here.
Clothes? Tais is not a supporter of putting value in much of anything. He has his clothes, he has his hands and that’s about it.

When it comes to money I'm: Money shouldn't be all that important to the game, but are they wealthy, poor? These can effect the rest of the character as well.
Poor as Tais works for a local craftsman as his apprentice. Tais has no real use for money and so he works for a place to stay and something to eat. He wouldn’t know what to do with it if he had it.

Other Important Stuff:
When I'm scared I:
Seclude myself and handle my fears or allow my polar bear form to take over.

The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is:
Someone Tais can rely on, someone Tais can trust to be there without intending to use him.

I'm lonely when:
Tais is only ever truly lonely when he thinks of his father’s death.

It hurts when:
People Tais thought he could trust turn out to be just another being trying to use his strength and skill to their advantage.

The things you need to know about my past are: Go ahead and keep this fairly vague, while I usually like super detailed histories, and try to write them myself. I think we should focus more on the present and future. By all means note down traumatic events and the like, I'd just like to look more at how they've shaped the person that you're playing now, as opposed to simply what happened. Hope that made sense.

Tais started out a cheery soul, then found out he was responsible for his mother’s death at birth. He blames himself for this. He spent most of his life alone with his father, so he has no real social skills. He has had people use him time and time again for his obvious assets. His uncle was arrested and hung for severe crimes. Tais blames himself for this because, unknown to him, he had been helping his uncle with said crimes. Lastly, after his little series of crimes his father died of heart failure. Tais saw this as his punishment for not being around more to take care of his father. Tais spent three years on his complete own at this point in his life and has not spoken a word since the death of his father. Tais is still trying to figure out where to take his life.

I wish to go to the Shadow because: Sorry, I forgot to put this in when I first made the sheet everyone. It was five something in the morning, and I'd gotten very little sleep, please forgive me.

Perhaps the shadow can finally give him peace of mind on his past. Perhaps the shadow can wash his guilt away and once more bring him back to the days of happiness he remembers in his past. Perhaps it could finally provide him with a companion that isn’t just around for as long as he’s useful. At the very least, perhaps it can guide him and tell him what he really wants in this world.

Other Information:

Things I had for this character before I decided to use him here. :)

Strengths/Powers:

Human:

Size/Strength:
Tais is a massive man and with his size comes his most obvious advantage: his strength. Being a shifted did not completely break him by making him an abnormally large man, it also rewarded him with much of the strength his other side possesses. He does not have super human strength, but instead he has above average human strength for his size. He has the strength and size to pull a plow as well as any horse and has the strength to carry weight that would almost seem absurd to most.

Intimidation:
Being of such a large size makes him an intimidating looking figure.

Tool Making/Armor smithing:
Having worked on a farm his entire life, he has learned how to smith and craft a multitude of tools and different types of blades. This also allows him to be innovative and quickly learn how to craft things he has not worked with in the past.

Loyal:
Tais is loyal to a fault. He's not quick to trust and not quick to make friends, but when he does let you in you will have a friend who will die for you in an instant or protect you with his considerable strength.

Nonjudgmental:
Tais is not one to judge people for anything. It doesn't matter what they have done, how they look, or how horrid or great their lives may be. Tais believes that it is not his place to judge others the way others have judged him.

Shifted:

Sprinting:
Being a polar bear, he can sprint short distances at up to 30 MPH.

Resilient:
Having 4.5 inches of coarse, dense fur followed by tough, leathery skin and a three inch layer of blubber makes you rather hard to injure.

Strength:
This is a creature that can drag a 4000 pound carcass with relative ease, it has some strength.

Adept Swimming:
Being one of the most powerful swimming land creatures in the world has its advantages. He can swim for several hours at a time without rest and swim up to 6.2 mph.

Weaknesses:

Human:

Size:
Being of such a massive size has it's strengths, but size also has its serious downfalls. There have often been embarrassing moments of Tais trying to fit through an average door built by humans. He has to duck, turn, and twist to fit into many average buildings and unless they have a high roof, he often finds himself bumping his head. This said, often times simple or poorly made furniture have difficulties holding him up, often either tilting over or breaking with him atop them.

Speed:
Being large has another disadvantage in speed. Because he his so massive, it is hard to run very quickly due to moving so much mass at once. This makes him slower than many others, not making him very good in a chase.

Silenced:
Tais is unable to speak, or at least it is believed. He has not spoken a word in almost 10 years to anyone for any reason. This greatly limits his communication skills.

Stealth:
Okay, face it guys. What is the likelihood of a 6'7, 340 pound man sneaking past someone? Not highly likely at all.

Combat:
Tais is a quiet man who avoids people and confrontation unless he has to. Because of this, he has limited combat experience and is skilled with no sort of weaponry. Because he's so good with his hands, however, it would be easy to learn.

Guilty Conscience:
Tais has a guilty conscience for many things that have gone wrong in his life and blames himself for them, leaving him haunted.

Easily Embarrassed:
Despite being a friendly person, Tais is easily embarrassed though he would never intentionally show it. He grew up in a world where others ‘looked down' on him for his size and where people used him for his strength. This has led to a man who is very conscious about his size and about the things he does.

Shifted:

Natural Instincts:
Once shifted, Tais loses most coherent human thoughts. The natural will and instincts of a polar bear begins to seep in and ultimately takes full control until the shifted period has ended. His human thoughts are always at the back of his mind while shifted, but it takes a massive amount of will to exert such thoughts over his polar bear form as the beast inside is much more powerful than the man.. The amount of will required to shift his human thoughts to the front is enough force him back into human form and leave him vulnerable. Because of this, Tais only shifts when it is the only option available to him.

Fearless:
Where this may seem like an advantage in some cases, it's actually more often a disadvantage for Tais due to natural instincts taking over. Once shifted, Tais' polar bear mind set comes in. Instinctually, polar bears are a creature that is not afraid of anything, even if the odds of dying are far more likely than surviving. This could lead Tais to charge into a battle that is completely hopeless and as a result to his death.

Random RP Snip of Boredom:

The blistering wind whips through, sending flurries of loose snow flying into the dense air to leave a thick haze of powdered fog on the horizon. The freshly settling snow storm had hit he area hard. The sparse shrubbery rustles quietly as it seems to shiver as another layer of frozen decor covers its limbs. Almost nothing more can be heard upon the breeze until a light crunch breaks to silence. It was a crunch of something heavy packing the thick snow down under it’s weight, the sound of something unwelcome looking for natural survivors. It is the sound of a beast looking for it’s next meal. Thick white fur bristles as the wind brushes by and doesn’t even leave a shiver in the beast. It’s large snout is stuck into the air, black nose at its highest point to intake the scents brought on by this newest gust, this newest gift to such a predator. A low growl begins to emit in the large creature’s chest and long retractable claws extend themselves from the beast’s paws. The wind brings good news. The wind brings news of a meal waiting for him to claim it. A meal that made the mistake of trying to hide upwind from its predator.

It began as a small tremble and soon became more of an aggressive shake as the creature left its still position and threw the heavy layer of snow from its figure. It had been ever so still, ever so silent while waiting on a hint of the next prey to cross these plains. It was slow at first as one foot followed the other, trudging through the snow at a starting pace towards it’s target. Then it became quicker as it pushed it’s weight forward and forced its legs to move faster. Next, the almost silence of the plains was shattered as an ear piercing roar rolled forth from the hungry creature. The target lifted its head slowly from the patch of grass it had dug in the snow. It’s brown fur had been lightly salted by the snow, almost hiding the moose in the dense, powder filled air. The creature became more alert as an angry roar filled its ears and it tensed, prepared to make a retreat. The warning had been brief and its reaction was too late as a pair of black eyes abruptly broke the white colored horizon.

The moose had not even had time to truly react as the large bear at full speed was hard to escape from. Once its target was in sight, the 1350 pound beast lurched forward with all of it’s strength and weight to tackle the other creature to the ground. Upon impact, large and powerful forelegs wrapped around the moose’s torso, sharp claws digging into supple flesh as they reached the prey’s stomach. From there, the two creatures hit the ground due to the beast’s momentum, it’s weight crushing the creature below as it fell under the bear’s massive frame. Momentum carried them over, sending them tumbling for several feet which aided in the shredding open of the moose’s stomach as the large predator hung on for dear life. As they came to a stop, the predator’s large jaws clasped around the throat of it’s prey and began to jerk aggressively, snapping the other animal’s neck to assure it was incapable of making an escape. Now, laying there in a pool of blood the bear growled in victory and released the moose. It brought itself to it’s feet once more and glanced down along his glorious white coat, now splashed with red. His massive head shook for a moment, sending a few drops of crimson splashing down against the snow. That had been exhilarating. The creature’s jaws parted once more, his neck extended, and he found himself gripping tough antlers between his teeth. The beasts’ legs tensed up and it began to shift it’s paws backward, dragging the moose through the snow. After a few moments, the beast and its prey were gone, leaving only a pool and a trail of crimson there clashing against the powdered ground. That was all the proof there was of the incident ever happening and it was rapidly vanishing as fresh wave of snow began to brush across the landscape.

Orange and red reflected from the beast’s white fur as it felt warmth once more filling the air around it, it’s prey being drug along. Black eyes watched with care as it’s meal cleared the open door that it was being tugged through. The other creature’s bleeding had long stopped due to the intense cold freezing it and preserving it, even its hanging innards now becoming a cold grey. This saved some mess as the bear finally released the moose next to a small, well built fire buried in the hearth of this house. A loud grunt was heard along with some cracking as fur began to retract, bones and muscles began to shrink and shift into place, and skin began to glow a bronze hue as it reflected the flame’s light. After several intense moments a large, well built, nude man stood hunkered over this dead animal instead of that bear. He let out the breath he had been holding and groaned a bit. “That took a bit longer than I expected. Surprised anything was out today though..” The man’s voice rumbled out as he spoke to himself and looked curiously to his dinner with large brown eyes. He let out a content sigh and headed back into his room. He rustled around for a few moments to find a good pair of pants so he could cover himself once more. He tugged them on with little effort and placed a belt made of string around his waist to secure the clothes. From there, he headed back into the room where the moose lay and looked around for a few moments. Finally, he spotted what he was looking for on the kitchen table. He leisurely approached the table to collect his skinning knife and a small crate. “Well then, I suppose it’s time to collect my bounty..” And with that, he went to work to claim the prizes that this successful hunt offered him.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Kate

love the new characters !

Welcome !

Phenoix - the template you have chosen for characters really does work

the sections give a really good idea of what they would be like to meet !

VNConsort

I'll be applying as well.  I should have a sheet up soon. 

Btw, could we get a current list of active players and their roles?  I personally have group roleplay size limits, so I'd like to know how many we have. :3-

I used the term Duke/Lord in my history, but it's there as placement in case there is another title you'd rather have me use (can be Earl, Viscount, Marquis, etc).  I don't know much about Atlantis's political kingdoms/lands, but I hope this will be easy enough to squeeze in. 

-Description to come.  I'm settling a few roleplays, studying for a few midterms, but this description will come fairly soon. 
Always Victorious
The Consort's Plots
O/O

Availability: June 2016, resuming activity.  Open for Roleplays

Kate

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=104221.msg4544068#msg4544068

Above is a link to my character.

This was an exceptionlly interesting thread (my character had hogged a bit of the attention to establish her difference, that time has passed somewhat - still phoenix as far as I know was the storyteller who needs another to take the riegns of Rain - the major protagonist.

Until that happens, i think this may be iced.

WhiteTigerForever

Agrees that Phoenix may need some more time... and will wait for such... :D 

I also don't see any O.O.C. thread, character sheet thread or story thread links...so she needs time to organize all of that too...
Not accepting new roles but Photoshop riches await you instead.

Avella

is this thread back on?  I took my character out but if its back on I'll resubmit her.
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have taken the Oath of the Drake

Kate

this thread is amazing

Phenonix appologised profusely and said she doesnt have time

so

Any who want to storytell ... can we can assume for the main character "rain" that

a) she disappears / never seen again and we are on our own.
b) We hear about her indirectly
c) Another storyteller takes her on board.

Any who feel keen on storytelling this as far as know .. can do so.

many would be interested in continuing / newbies to the thread also

VNConsort

I'll have to pull out.  I was interested in Phoenix GMing it.  Good luck guys!
Always Victorious
The Consort's Plots
O/O

Availability: June 2016, resuming activity.  Open for Roleplays

Phoenixrisen

Alright guys, sorry this is so late in coming, I've been a little negligent. I'm working on revamping the whole thing, fixing a few of the problems and what not. There will be a new improved interest thread up as soon as I'm able to get it up. I have a lot of work to do, and am a bit distracted at the moment. If someone wants to take over the old one, fine, I'll help you in any way that I can, but do know that I'm working on a relaunch. I'm going to be a little stricter with character acceptance, among other things, and so just because you had a character in the old thread doesn't necessarily guarantee acceptance when the new one goes up. This is of course a perfect time to look over your character and the setting with the experience that you have now and work on them if you're so inclined. :D

I'm locking this thread now, because I don't think it's fair to the other interest checks for it to keep getting bumped up when it's not currently active. I do appreciate the interest there has been, and I am working on making it a viable RP again. Thank you all for your time and attention, I'll try to have this working again by December, hopefully sooner, but I'm considering NaNoWriMo this year, and my muse is a bit preoccupied at the moment, so I may not have time until then.

That said, if anyone has any ideas on how I could improve the information provided in this thread to better facilitate player understanding and proactive involvement, please send me a PM. The more I can flesh everything out, and the sooner I can do it, the quicker it will be ready to go back up, and the better it will be. I haven't given up on this idea guys, I just can't keep it up the way that it was, and I feel that a total restart will be the best option.
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21