what MMOs is anyone playing?

Started by boogop, July 05, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E1Alpha

Dear lord, why hasn't anyone here mentioned the only MMORPG I occasionally play lately D:

Only Champions Online can keep me interested enough, be it solely because of the character creator that you can spend hours in, and the actual dedicated RP hub that's easily accessible for all levels.
Gameplay is just as repetitive as with most MMORPGs, but I find the character creator and RP hub to make up for that.

SinXAzgard21

If they've not mentioned it then it probably isn't being played.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

Why I didn't mention CO:

- Content is more repetitive than most MMOs I've tried and there's less of it to fill out the grind.
- The RP "hub" is populated by...I can't think of a polite descriptor for the regulars there. Suffice it to say I mostly see people referring to it in derogatory terms, and with good reason.
- When it went to a F2P model it pretty much destroyed all the character designs I was running by restricting archetypes into specific paths and disallowing multi-pathing.
- Self-referential/meta-humor about being an MMO ruins any sense of immersion in the game.
- Basically no challenge in 99% of the game; remaining 1% is typically challenging because it's either a) buggy or b) gimmick-based.

I could go on, but I suspect your question was actually rhetorical, so...

I will say it still has probably the best character creator I've seen (though parts of that got jacked in the F2P overhaul as well).
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Florence

Quote from: Shjade on September 14, 2013, 02:52:29 AM
Why I didn't mention CO:

- Content is more repetitive than most MMOs I've tried and there's less of it to fill out the grind.
- The RP "hub" is populated by...I can't think of a polite descriptor for the regulars there. Suffice it to say I mostly see people referring to it in derogatory terms, and with good reason.
- When it went to a F2P model it pretty much destroyed all the character designs I was running by restricting archetypes into specific paths and disallowing multi-pathing.
- Self-referential/meta-humor about being an MMO ruins any sense of immersion in the game.
- Basically no challenge in 99% of the game; remaining 1% is typically challenging because it's either a) buggy or b) gimmick-based.

I could go on, but I suspect your question was actually rhetorical, so...

I will say it still has probably the best character creator I've seen (though parts of that got jacked in the F2P overhaul as well).

Fun story, I actually got to character creation in that game after deciding to check it out after it went F2P, saw how absolutely broken it was, and uninstalled the game.

I believe I heard later that you can unlock proper character creation later, but frankly that's a load of crap. In MMOs first impressions are everything, and that game made a bad one before I even got in world.

Anyway, I'm not really playing any MMOs lately, Second Life is basically the closest I come to one. I have a very mixed love-hate relationship with MMOs.

The Matrix Online, buggy mess that it was, was one of the best MMO experiences I have ever had, thanks in large part to the absolutely wonderful RP community it had.

The Old Republic threatened to ensnare me... but just couldn't hold my interests long enough. I sort of reached a point where I felt, perhaps due to its MMO nature, that the choices in it just lacked depth and impact compared to its single player cousins. Perhaps I just didn't play long enough for the big choices to come into play, but... I dunno. Same gender romance options taking forever and a half, and from what I've heard, coming essentially as high end content didn't terribly help my overall opinion of it.

The Lord of the Rings Online is another one that interested me greatly, but just couldn't hold my interest. FFXIV is definitely one of the best I've played recently, with gorgeous graphics, great customization and fun gameplay, but it just didn't really hook me quite enough to start paying for it once beta ended.

WoW, on the other hand... I only really ever got into once, and that was in a quick burst, due to a combination of having a friend to play with, and a nifty little ex bonus that let me make it basically from 1-85 in about about a week. Still after that week, the excitement kinda wore off. And my previous attempts at doing it the old fashioned way didn't fair much better in taking me in. A shame since I absolutely adore the Warcraft series.

Neverwinter has faired better than all of those, and being FTP has helped.

In fact I've been severely tempted to reinstall that little gem and play it again. I did so love my half-orc rogue :3

I think what I stopped playing that for, at least temporarily, was the Forge... I was sort of dissappointed with its features and hoped it would improve in time. All the same, I loved the game itself, and have been having that itch to jump into it again. Hopefully I can remember my account so I don't have to roll a new character, though I suppose I did have a few nitpicks about my half-orc's physical appearance... though of course, she was still smoking hot for a half-orc xD

Another honorable mention for me would be Pirates of the Burning Sea, though I'll be the first to admit, the gimmick got me interested in that game more than anything else. Who doesn't want to be a pirate? :3 The fantasy, charming rogue who makes away with your gold and your heart kind, of course. Not the scurvy-ridden, short-lived murderer sort.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Rhedyn

I was playing RIFT for a while after it went FtP but couldn't get all that into it for some reason though I did like the extras that had been added since the last time I had played it when it launched.

WoW has been kinda stale for me lately, every time I pay for a month to try again I get bored very easily and end up leaving again, even though I love my gnome priest.

Recently I've been trying out Neverwinter with a tiefling cleric and so far I'm enjoying it though I'm only at level 6 or 7.

Dhi

I gave Rift a try for a while. What I really wanted out of Rift was to run dungeons, an experience that Guild Wars 2 was not really able to give me. Maybe GW2 has improved in that regard, or maybe my expectations have just lowered. In a couple of days the newest content patch will add a long overdue in-game LFG system, and I will be able to more easily get the experience I really want: running dungeons as a support character.

I've been getting back on my thief, Nafije Al Qaabidh.

She was my first, though I have ten 80s now and an eleventh slot I bought the other day for in-game gold. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. I kind of like that potential.

Shjade, I have you friended, but I have never seen you on.  :-\

Ilasandra

I started playing Rift with a friend of mine and we both got really into it, like playing every night into it. I really like how they have the class system set-up, I think it gives a bit more customization to the game. They're supposed to be adding a healing rogue soul with the new expansion, which really appeals to me. Right now I have my build for pretty much straight AoE, which I love. I started with the chloromancer build. It was just the damage to heals thing that drew me. haha

As for WoW, I've played it for a while and it never keeps my attention. I end up subbing for a month or two and only playing perhaps a handful on times with in that frame. Plus the graphics don't do it for me anymore. Yes, I know it was designed that way intentionally and is like a deacde old, but still. I just can't get into it anymore. Probably going to stop trying regardless of what my friends say. :]

Shjade

Quote from: Dhi on September 15, 2013, 09:42:48 PM
I've been getting back on my thief, Nafije Al Qaabidh.

I like!

I don't really play GW2 much, due to getting bored with it pretty fast when I log in. Grind for grind's sake has never appealed to me and, well...that's what GW2 is, pretty much. I mean jeebis, have you seen the stuff you have to get for the new Ascended weapons, all of it account bound and some of it time-gated? All that hassle for weapons that are barely an improvement over exotics with relatively unimpressive models? Why? And don't get me started on the ridiculousness of legendaries. At least now with their stat-malleable quality and ascended tier stats there's some purpose to them, but even then it's an enormous time investment for...some sparkles? I don't get it.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

I play Champions Online from time to time.  Not to mention DCUO, but not enough to b worth mentioning.

I liked Champions because it actually made Power Armour what it is, as opposed to what City of Heroes didn't do.  Power Armour in comics are a flying 'Brick' type with weapons.  They're super strong, super tough, have environmental options and a slew of weapons that would make most military engineers wet the panties.  Unfortunately, being poor means I can't subscribe to it, and thus I can't play mine.

As for DCUO, it's all about the combat system.  They're improving it, but it's still very, very, very combat focused.  Which works for me in short spurts.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Florence

I'm not sure how often I'll play, but if anyone wants to play Neverwinter with me lemme know. I patched it up and decided to reroll my half-orc rogue.

I wish I could make half-drow bard from a Neverwinter Nights rp server I used to frequent... tempted to give that another go too sometime, if the server is still around, which it probably is.

Edit: Well damn, wouldn't ya know it, the server did go down :\ Was pretty fun too...
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Adelrune

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on September 10, 2013, 02:21:09 PM
Just got past Ifrit as a ACN.  Thinking of not playing dps anymore, seems to be a lack of actual healers in this game.  I had to split heal with another ACN for all three dungeons and Ifrit.

Sin, if you are on Balmung I'd be happy to come heal for you.

Shouron

Ah, the MMO world is something I haven't stepped into in about five years. Though I do keep my ears open for anything good. Buuut all I hear right now is GW2, Rift, WoW, FFXIV (tempted), SWTOR, aaaand.. Vindictus on the F2P side of things. I have played a majority and most are great. However, as Moraline said, hard to play a MMO by yourself.

Though to stay on topic, Elsword, RO2, and FlyFF on occasion for nostalgia's sake.

GW2 I hit the level cap and then the game got really old really quickly.
When you look at yourself in the mirror, who is it that stares back at you?

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shouron on October 11, 2013, 10:56:19 AM
Ah, the MMO world is something I haven't stepped into in about five years. Though I do keep my ears open for anything good. Buuut all I hear right now is GW2, Rift, WoW, FFXIV (tempted), SWTOR, aaaand.. Vindictus on the F2P side of things. I have played a majority and most are great. However, as Moraline said, hard to play a MMO by yourself.

Though to stay on topic, Elsword, RO2, and FlyFF on occasion for nostalgia's sake.

GW2 I hit the level cap and then the game got really old really quickly.

WoW is free till level 20 and you really can't do anything, Swtor is the same way, they've changed some things so that you can buy the RC market items in game if they have been put up on the player market.  Though the games best feature is pvp and you still can only play pvp 5 times a week, I think, if you are on a f2p account.  Rift is okay, I've played a few hours of it, didn't have any friends playing so I quit. 

Shouron

Yeah, I simply refuse to pay just to play a game. It's always been my philosophy and it always will be.

Though, technically speaking, games like Minecraft and Terraria could be considered MMOs in their own right save for the fact someone else has to host a server.

Shjade

I wish Vindictus didn't turn into a grinding slog around level 30-40. That game was really fun to play...until I had to keep playing the same exact mission again and again and again and again and again just to level up enough to unlock the next one, holy hell.
◕/◕'s

Shouron

Quote from: Shjade on October 11, 2013, 09:45:12 PM
I wish Vindictus didn't turn into a grinding slog around level 30-40. That game was really fun to play...until I had to keep playing the same exact mission again and again and again and again and again just to level up enough to unlock the next one, holy hell.

I feel your pain, all too well, think about getting a Lann to 70 like I did. Oh sweet merciful Moses I wish I would have picked Fiona at that point. Lann is great in raids ONLY if you can play him correctly.

Chris Brady

I wish Lann hadn't been marginalized by that new superspecial dual blade girl, whose name I forget.  Lann is fun, but speed, sadly isn't enough.  He needs some serious power upgrades.  And I spent over 60 bucks on him, alone.

I also wish that Vindictus was more Solo friendly at higher levels.  But that could just be me, sucking.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 12, 2013, 08:49:43 AM
I also wish that Vindictus was more Solo friendly at higher levels.  But that could just be me, sucking.

It's not just you. Even with Fiona's myriad shield tricks, animation-canceling slam combos, etc., the second-tier versions of the dungeons start getting pretty hard to solo, mainly just due to the bosses getting a lot more near-instant attacks that do massive damage or have crippling status effects and may or may not even be blockable without a heavy shield (which, for solo work, is pretty unhelpful since it makes it much harder to actually do damage rather than just not die).
◕/◕'s

Shouron

Really? It's simple DPS work as a Lann with any half-decent +8 weapon and enchants on it. I use Impending Valor simply because I don't have to put up with any negative effects. Coupled with DC/ Dragon Raid armor since it was the best setup at that time. With the new content though? Hah, I know nothing. I quit the game looong ago because of various things. The piss easy part of the extreme version of the game they added turned me off to getting back into it. Turned all the skill with my Lann into a joke.. All those hours AP farming and crap wasted... Ah well, it's still fun, just not for someone who played it from almost the very beginning.

bowbeforeyourqueen

I have really stopped playing MMO's lately I have had my eye on Guild Wars 2 for awhile it looks pretty neat. I played WOW for the longest time, but every patch was pretty much the same, and I got tired of the repetitiveness. I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls Online. I have played a lot of the Elder Scrolls games, and really am excited to see how they pull off the MMO. I really wish they would make an Dragon Age MMO that would be so awesome.
Come play with me if you dare...

Ons & Offs

Hazel

Quote from: bowbeforeyourqueen on October 13, 2013, 01:09:06 AM
I have really stopped playing MMO's lately I have had my eye on Guild Wars 2 for awhile it looks pretty neat. I played WOW for the longest time, but every patch was pretty much the same, and I got tired of the repetitiveness. I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls Online. I have played a lot of the Elder Scrolls games, and really am excited to see how they pull off the MMO. I really wish they would make an Dragon Age MMO that would be so awesome.
Dragon Age MMO would be interesting, but would be difficult to pull of with how it is. Maybe in a blight, where players affect the outcome of it and resets every couple of months, but the players keep their stats?

Only MMO I've really played was Never Winter, and It's gotten to the point where I can level up easily at a high level yet not hold my attention longer than 30 or so minutes. The secret world seems pretty good, but I'm good at all at class management and not keeping getting wrecked by everything. I like it though.

Xenphir

I bet no one has heard of Wonderland Online. It's not as cool or realistic as 3d MMo's since it's more anime-based. (Not Anime per-say, but the characters are more anime-like than 3d bloodelves or orcs, and they are all human.)

But it seems to be failing due to lack of players since the main server's economy is dominating the rest of the servers, causing it to be very Over-Priced and the others empty. 

Seems also to be that the company IGG is low on money :/ Ah well.

Rocklobster

Iv been in a "love/hate" relationship with WoW for the last 6 years or so. I meet a ton of in-game friends but burned one to many bridges on my rise from guild to guild. It lost it's luster with me after the 3rd expantion, Wrath of the Lich King, came to a close and I could never solidly play much after that.

I played a little of Rift when it was first launched. While that was fun it could never really hold my intrest mainly because the amount of new players mixed with massive guilds who joined the game to just claim world first achievements was staggering. Got close to max level cap within a few weeks but walked away from the game.

Runescape was fun for a hot moment.  :P

And the most terrifying experience being kicked into a game..... Eve Online... I still get nightmares  :-X

SinXAzgard21

Shjade

What, you're in the beta or something?
◕/◕'s