Balamb Garden (Final Fantasy VIII) -Please Use Recruitment Thread in First Post-

Started by Florence, June 27, 2012, 10:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

I didn't think that necessary at first, but with the level of interest this is getting, I might just have to xD

I'm willing to take any and all suggestions on how to organize this.

As for the GF, I'm honestly not sure. The thing is, most bonuses are more passive. If its an ability she has to activate consciously I'm alright with it, but I'm not sure how I feel about it being able to automatically slow down enemies.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

AndyZ

OH!  You're looking at the bonus, not the GF power.  I see the difference now.  Sorry.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Revenent

The way I usually play it in my RPs is having a minimum waiting period for posting. Basically, there's a posting order, but someone doesn't show up to post after a set amount of time (three days, five days, a week, or whatever), then the other players are free to continue posting on their own until that person returns.

Eislynn

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on June 30, 2012, 10:03:50 AM
Honestly, I would prefer if it was something passive to your character. I hate to nag or anything, I just feel like something auto-inflicting status effects on enemies is a little OP.

Noted. What if instead of the slow, I adapt the bonus to making my Chakram fly faster or something like that? Like maybe a haste that only affects my weapon? Or should I distill it down to plain old Haste on my character? Also, just to clarify, you're alright with the special ability then?

Honestly, I understand your concern that it'd be overpowered. I want to assure you by mentioning that I love to play faulted characters, so it is my intention to play her as a student whose control of time magic may not be the best - I'm kinda thinking its kinda taboo what with Ultimecia's influence on history such that even the best minds in the field aren't that adept. I have no problem with it actually working only some of the time - I feel that's what makes things interesting.

I have no problems making other changes as you see fit - If you think it's still too overpowered, I will continue to change things to make the game run smoothly. Thanks for your input - it really helps me bring my character to life!

lore

Well if your are looking for suggestions to cut the initial clusterfuck of posting that happens when a game just starts, you could

a) Divide the students into teams and have them working toward different missions in the same thread. That way we could skim all the posts but only really have to pay strong attention/react to the posts of our teammates.

b) Have everyone begin by threading at the garden. Post 1-3 threads for different levels/areas of the garden. People can decide which level they want to post in

Florence

I am completely okay with that bonus, Katida :D

And lore... hum. This will take some thinking xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

lore

Of course. It's difficult to make that call not knowing ahead exactly how active the thread will be, and if there are any prolific posters among us.

AndyZ

Speaking for myself, I tend to post every day, often multiple times a day if I'm not otherwise busy.  Exceptions occur, but they're listed on my schedule in my A/A thread.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Eislynn

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on June 30, 2012, 10:35:26 AM
I am completely okay with that bonus, Katida :D

And lore... hum. This will take some thinking xD

Edited character. Thought it out and logically it would be really dangerous to have a hasted weapon if you weren't hasted yourself - Hope that's okay!

Florence

AribethAmkiir

If I recall there were a few characters in FF8 that time traveled.  Since the game is set 30 years after the events of the game, what's changed in the world?  Is technology much more advanced, or did it become stagnant due to fear?  It was mentioned that it was possible that the other Gardens now had SeeDs, is that something that's going to be implemented or something being thought about?

I know everyone has been able to write a backstory, but if a character is eighteen years old they were born twelve years after the game's events and could've grown up in a world that was different than the game world.  Should we be thinking about any of this when we're writing our character's histories or just assume that the world hasn't changed much?

Florence

The world hasn't DRASTICALLY changed in terms of technology. The politics are a little shifted. I should have plotted this all out before I asked for character sheets, but I was sort of caught off guard by how popular this idea is.

Simply put, Galbadia is passive these days, trying to rebuild their might after the losses the suffered during the game. They're trying to hold firmly onto the city of Timber though, largely for morale. As long as they hold on to at least Timber, they can tell themselves they've still got some of their great empire.

Timber itself is resisting, with a new, more militant Forest Owls (Imagine the difference between Final Fantasy 7's AVALANCHE, and Before Crisis' AVALANCHE, and that's pretty much what the Forest Owls are like now), and the city is in something of a civil war.

Esthar is still struggling to fix the damage from the Lunar Cry, with monsters still being a major and constant threat within the city, and repairs still being carried out.

Dollet has been independent now, and there have been shifts in the inner policies. There are rumors abound that the Duke of Dollet is in possession of some sort of great power, but no evidence to back up the claims have been found. All the same, it has lead to political tension between Dollet and Galbadia, with the Duke of Dollet insisting Galbadia is spreading the rumors to turn everyone on Dollet, while Galbadia builds back up its forces to resume a campaign of conquest.

FH is still pretty much the same. Its one of the few places left that's peaceful and without any sort of political tension with anyone else.

Balamb is the same, though there was an attack a few years prior to the start of the rp, where a group of rogue Galbadian soldiers attacked the town, blaming Balamb for Galbadia's problems. This has left the people of Balamb mistrusting of Galbadia. It was during this brief conflict, that Yuge earned his reputation as both a ruthless monster, and a brave comrade-in-arms to his fellow SeeDs.

Trabia is... Trabia. Its cold and snowy, and pretty much everyone but Trabians and the Moomba don't care too much about it xD Trabia Garden is still working on repairs, trying to fix the Garden's internal systems.

Galbadia Garden is still struggling with PR problems after their association with the Sorceress. That said, however, they've been nothing but cooperative with their fellow Gardens since the game.

Balamb Garden has stationed SeeDs at both other Gardens to help with repairs and maintain the peace. These SeeDs still answer to Balamb Garden above Galbadia and Trabia, however, though they are encouraged to cooperate with the locals, and help promote friendly relations.

Winhill... still pretty much just a lovely little town out in the middle of nowhere.

... did I forget anything?

Florence

Just an update here: The great and wonderful Fenrir is helping with organization. So if you see her posting up threads or doing any of that GMy stuff, don't worry, she's not attempting a coup or thread hijacking or any such thing, she's operating with my total permission, and gratitude :>

Latooni Subota

I have to admit that I was DYING to pick Gilgamesh for my GF, for the awesomeness of having a snarky, random GF just poking fun at it's user for being so 'boring', but I figured he'd be a little too overpowered/too close to Yuge's Yojimbo. X3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

lore

I hate to spam a fast moving thread, but thanks Fenrir!

And obviously Finn for all efforts thusfar :)

Revenent

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 30, 2012, 12:35:10 PM
I have to admit that I was DYING to pick Gilgamesh for my GF, for the awesomeness of having a snarky, random GF just poking fun at it's user for being so 'boring', but I figured he'd be a little too overpowered/too close to Yuge's Yojimbo. X3

Maybe Ultros, then? ;D

Capone

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 30, 2012, 09:19:58 AM
I think Katida desu has the right idea here.

Name:Roweena Drake
Weapon: Bola
Specialization: Blue Mage
GF Name: ????

At least it's a place holder.

Hrm. For Blue Magic, you can potentially take the character of GoGo from Final Fantasy 6 and turn them into a GF. Mimic isn't quite the same as Blue Magic, but it would be as close as you typically get.

Considering that FF6 used Gilgamesh from FF5 as a summon, I don't see why it can't work taking GoGo from 6 to 8's universe.

lore

QuoteMaybe Ultros, then?

Heh I'm sure the folks with tentacle monster fetishes certainly wouldn't object.

I understand it was agreed that we don't want to see GFs popping up constantly in battle, but would it be ok for the more sociable ones to make casual non-combat appearances? I see golem as being particularly interested in people, and likely prone to showing up when environmental issues area at hand (he weeps for Timber heh).

Latooni Subota

>Ultros as a GF

Oh my god, that would be the best EVER.

"Yeowch! Stop Drawing Fire magic, you brat!" "Hey, hey, go ask that girl for her digits. I think she's into the tentacle." "Okay, new plan. You and me are gonna go find Typhoon, and have a party!" "You know what we should do? Start an arena and make ALL THE GIL! GYAHAHAHA!" "WHY WOULD YOU ORDER THE CALAMARI WITH ME JUNCTIONED TO YOU?!"
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Mossberg

I don't know if this has been addressed yet or not, but what about limit breaks (or whatever they are called in 8)?
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

AndyZ

I figure that a Limit Break would be a phenomenally rare thing where the PC is so seriously beat up and losing along with emotional trauma and desperation that it makes sense to happen.

Florence

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 30, 2012, 12:57:40 PM
>Ultros as a GF

Oh my god, that would be the best EVER.

"Yeowch! Stop Drawing Fire magic, you brat!" "Hey, hey, go ask that girl for her digits. I think she's into the tentacle." "Okay, new plan. You and me are gonna go find Typhoon, and have a party!" "You know what we should do? Start an arena and make ALL THE GIL! GYAHAHAHA!" "WHY WOULD YOU ORDER THE CALAMARI WITH ME JUNCTIONED TO YOU?!"

Yuge: ... I can hear... your GF from across the table. Tell it to shut up, or I'm digging in there and ripping it out. :I

Quote from: Mossberg on June 30, 2012, 01:00:07 PM
I don't know if this has been addressed yet or not, but what about limit breaks (or whatever they are called in 8)?

They're still Limit Breaks. I've been thinking on that, if anyone would like to apply for one, simply post a nice, neat description and we can tack it onto your character sheet.

They work pretty simply. You get beat up enough, in an emotionally tense moment (I ask that people PLEASE don't overuse them. This shouldn't come down to every fight being won by super rage powar, ya know?), you can break your limits, and utilize a special attack. Afterwards, though, the character will be drained and exhausted, and in bad shape if the limit break didn't end the fight.

Quote from: AndyZ on June 30, 2012, 01:02:54 PM
I figure that a Limit Break would be a phenomenally rare thing where the PC is so seriously beat up and losing along with emotional trauma and desperation that it makes sense to happen.

Basically, this.

Fenrir

Here is the Main Information Thread I'm working on- feel free to book mark it while it's being updated :D

Also- if your character is accepted please post in in THIS thread.

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Mossberg

"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

MzHyde

CHARACTER APPLICATION
Name: Isabella 'Belle' Starr
Enrollment Age: 15
Weapon: Longshot Rifle, Elemental Ammunition
Specialization: Fire Support, Support Magic (Blind, Shell, Protect, Silence, Etc.)

Personality: Cocky and self-assured, Belle Starr thinks she's the best shot AND the finest lookin' lady to ever grace SeeD with her presence. Annoyingly, she at least has the talent to back up the first part (thought the second bit is a matter of opinion). She never seems to be down, always full of energy and cracking jokes. Some people find her grating, others find her quite charming.

Backstory: Born in Dollet to Maria and Marco Starr, Belle spent much of her youth getting in trouble around the city, exploring the back streets and other hidden areas. Belle worked up quite a reputation as a local troublemaker and often got into fights with kids either her age or older. Though not just for fun; usually in the defense of smaller children. She constantly felt ashamed at getting into trouble as she wants to make her parents proud, but she can't really help her curious and fiery nature. As she grew older Belle often spent time outside of the city, hunting with her father and eventually, helping to get rid of some of the local monster population. In order to make a name for herself and help support her family, she first thought to join the Dollet military, but they were just too uptight for her to really stand working with them. So, she applied to SeeD. Astoundingly, she managed to pass! While her test score was abysmal she passed the field exam with one of the highest scores the mercenary force has ever seen. Truly, her test grades still suck and she only barely manages to keep her grades good enough thanks to her outstanding marksmanship skills.

GF APPLICATION
Name: Gilgamesh
Element: None
Description: A gaudily dressed, multi-limbed, and boisterous warrior armed with a different weapon in each hand.
Bonus: Randomly; a bonus to Attack, Speed, or Defense
Special Attack: Gilgamesh appears and strikes the enemy down with one of a small variety of attacks, all of them very heavily damaging - unless he uses Excalipoor. Then it's just kind of silly.