The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Eh, if you cast Danny Trejo as Lobo I'd just be stuck wondering 'when did Machete get a healing factor'?

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 20, 2018, 11:37:40 PM
Eh, if you cast Danny Trejo as Lobo I'd just be stuck wondering 'when did Machete get a healing factor'?

Lobo has a healing factor? I thought he was just like a Superman-level thug with no heat vision or unassisted flight. I mean, I assumed if he could get damaged (which would take way more effort than anything Wolverine could endure), he'd bounce back from it fairly quick like how Superman regenerated after the nuke even though he was in an environment with no oxygen at the time and he's always, to my knowledge, needed a spacesuit or something to be in outer space or underwater. Lobo didn't seem to have that handicap...I guess you can't have everything if you're Kryptonian.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Lobo's strongest power is his healing factor. He's canonically regenerated from a single drop of blood before, IIRC.

wander

Mathim;

Are you saying that Superman needed a space-suit for outer space...  ???

...and also him regenerating from a nuke is not a healing factor super-power?

Mathim

Quote from: wander on March 21, 2018, 05:27:36 PM
Mathim;

Are you saying that Superman needed a space-suit for outer space...  ???

...and also him regenerating from a nuke is not a healing factor super-power?

I'm only going by what I remember from the animated series, and yes, he needed a spacesuit then. Even Martian Manhunter needed one. Only Green Lantern could go into space without one. I'm not overly familiar with the comics (Young Justice, and when it transitioned into Teen Titans, before the New 52, is what I was most into) so the TV stuff is more of what I remember and is more focused on the JL, not the younger teams. With all the changes in continuity I'm not surprised that there would be all kinds of different versions of things.

And it's so hard to see him actually get damaged, seeing him in that mummified-looking state and regenerating from it made it look like a healing factor, even if not actually a healing factor.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mathim

I've seen adverts for two new Infinity War trailers and, uncharacteristically for me, I've decided not to watch either of them. I want to save my spectacle enjoyment for the big screen. Might even go IMAX for this one even though every other time I've gone to one of those theaters it was because I won free tickets.

So Black Panther is on the heels of the first Avengers film in terms of box office intake. Last I checked it had just under 250M to go before it surpassed it. Think they can make that in however long it remains in theaters? Considering Jumanji's longevity and total gross, I can't exactly be skeptical but that amount is about what very successful films earn in their first weekends or something, I think, so it's hard to picture.

mia h

Agents of Shield dropped a little Josh Whedon Easter Egg into the last episode.
Coulson "I'm not joining your Evil League of Evil."
Dr. Horrible would be proud.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on April 14, 2018, 09:42:24 PM
I thought you guys would all get a kick out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMzFGgmQOc

Well if ruling all of Wakanda and being the Black Panther doesn't work out. T'Challa can be the next Ken Jennings lol.

Just 11 days away until the first big Avengers movie. So lets pass some time by putting up some memorable moments from the last ten years shall we?

Mine still has to be Doctor Strange beating Dormammu

"Dormammu! I've come to bargain."

https://youtu.be/yKAfwBPvsMA
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 16, 2018, 08:53:49 PM
Puny God.

Aw, c'mon, show the clip that goes with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ZjnrHR8EA

Me, I'm going with the Thor awakening his power and the battle against Hela heating up. In particular, Banner crashing onto the bridge without transforming right away, and Thor's vision of Odin saying, "No...you're stronger."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0gFsqqoR4

mia h

mia h

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: mia h on April 20, 2018, 02:33:54 PM
And after Deadpool we have Teen Titans GO! to the Movies taking their own cheap shots https://twitter.com/TeenTitansMovie/status/987164857681100800  ;D

To bad the return jab goes out the window considering Reynolds was in two different Marvel movies (Blade Trinity and X-Men Origins: Wolverine) prior to Green Lantern.

I'm actually finding it amusing though the Teen Titans Go! is the one doing the retaliation  ;D
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

https://youtu.be/u9Mv98Gr5pY

I have to admit that the Venom trailer looks a lot like I imagine a trailer for The Darkness would look be (if it ever became a movie)

Deamonbane

I don't suppose anybody's watched Infinity War yet?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

mia h

Yes they have  ;D
I'm going to be honest I'm glad I was in a movie theatre with really comfortable seats because it is a long movie, so no fluid loading beforehand because you will regret it.
The comedy\one liner stuff really works, but then that's one thing Marvel have always got right. But I felt it was missing something that I can't put my finger on right now.
I think they've revealed how\why the situation will be resolved at the end of Avengers 4.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Tony has a bit of dialogue at the start of movie about dreams becoming reality, so I'm expecting him to eventually get the Gauntlet and 'dream' things back to the way they were but additionally Pepper will be pregnant.

They managed to round out Thanos as character more than I thought they were going to, even if his motivations\logic don't make sense
So you want to kill half the universe because everything is FINITE but you are going to do it by using INFINITY stones. Cookie for anyone who spots the obvious contradiction

The continuity over the Infinity Gauntlet is just as messed up as ever or possibly worse.

There a lot of dead people by the end of movie, how and when some of them are killed I wasn't expecting, also there was one character who turned up who I wasn't expecting to see at all
Although the survivors of the Thanos wave are predictable, everyone who's contract is up after Avengers 4 is still alive, everyone else gets to take the next 12 months off

There is an end of credit sequence but I'm not sure it's worth the 10 minutes of credits you have to sit through to see it, so if you want a summary
Nick Fury and Maria Hill are in New York when the Thanos wave hits, Maria disappears and then Nick starts to when he presses what is essentially a pager. The pager display shows "Sending" for a few seconds only for the display to change to a star with a blue and red background. Nick just called in Captain Marvel.

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 26, 2018, 04:10:10 PM
I don't suppose anybody's watched Infinity War yet?

I'll probably wait til the middle of the week and catch an early first showing so the theaters will be a little more empty than on weekends at peak times. My friend usually needs to ask me questions in the middle of it so I like being able to talk just above a whisper to explain things if there aren't a lot of people to bother, and of course some people overreact to situations of comedy or whatever so they might keep me from hearing what was said. I want to see the box office numbers and how they're stacking up for something this highly anticipated for its opening day and over the weekend.

Darkcide

I got very 'Empire' vibes from it. But I dug it. Thanos was a beast. And Gamora and Thor's arcs were very strong.

mia h

Agents of Shield had an interesting moment this week when they talked about "that weirdness in New York", they we never going to show the fallout from Infinity War because it's still the opening weekend but it suggests that the events in the movie have started in AoS. All of which raises a question, what will AoS and the Netflix Defenders shows look like over the next 12 months?

CaptainNexus616

I was wondering about that myself. The Netflix shows will no doubt have at least two new seasons before the Avengers Sequel next year.  So perhaps it will take place prior or after. (Assuming the sequel results in some kind of cosmic reset that makes everyone forgets). Otherwise New York will list it as another "incident" and move on but with more alien tech to try and kill Luke Cage with.

mia h

https://youtu.be/Tttj6DTB_4Q

If this can't make you at least crack a smile, then you have no soul.

CaptainNexus616

I see your Teen Titans Go! and raise you an Ant-Man and the Wasp!  ;D

https://youtu.be/UUkn-enk2RU

mia h

I think the Titans movie posters edge it.
Up and Atom
Detective Chimp and the Case of Missing Mustache
What's up Doc
Green Lantern Core
Batman v Joker : Yawn of Justice

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 01, 2018, 03:00:02 PM
I see your Teen Titans Go! and raise you an Ant-Man and the Wasp!  ;D

God damn, I'm gonna need to bring my inhaler with me to the theater if they're going to make me laugh that much!