"Sword of Truth" variation interest check.

Started by Adonis, September 04, 2011, 01:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonis

This is just a base interest check to see who's interested in a group game (whether it's big or small has yet to be decided), based on the sword of truth series. I'll be developing things as I go along here, so rules, plotline, etc are undecided as of yet. Before anyone gets any "holyshit power character" ideas, keep in mind that while the game will be freeform, it will be controlled, and for the most part reasonable. This will be the second group game I've run insofar, and the last one that I ran with two other GM's got to be quite large. So I *do* have experience running things, as well as maintaining checks and balances.

Please let me know if you have any interest, either by PM or by posting here.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Sarah Morgan

I'd definitely be interested in something in the Sword of Truth setting, and wondered if anyone else other than me was interested in this series.  Hopefully we can get more interest, but count me in.

Adonis

You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's

Miyu

its that the same as "Legend of the seeker" I think?

Saerrael

*puts his tentative interest right here*
*points at it*
There.
You have it.

*grins*

Adonis

Legend of the Seeker was a shitty rendition very loosely based off of the book series, but yes, same general setting.
O/O's

Miyu

I wanna join but looks like I know next to nothing about the book Sorry

Adonis

I'll be making it decently easy for those that have never read the series to participate. Right now, I'm just checking interest to see if it's worth my time to put in the huge amount of effort to set this up.
O/O's

Miyu

I just don't want to screw it up if you know what I mean, I am interested just a lil bit afraid of screwing up at somepoint or another lol

Adonis

Well, we'll see if we can get another 2 people or so, and then I'll start building. It's a fairly fantastic setting, and setting new games up is always pretty insane.
O/O's

Sarah Morgan

I'm assuming you'd be setting this up as freeform, or are you thinking of developing some sort of rules system?

I didn't care for Legend of the Seeker either myself, the books are tons better.  I'm visually impaired, so I lose all the visual elements, but even I could tell they did a crappy job with it, and ruined the whole potential right from the start, by introducing characters that weren't even in the book, and putting in events that didn't happen in the books.  Really disappointing, and irritating! 
I may re-read the series myself, although that could take a while.  The books are extremely long, but well worth reading, and I'm sure those of us who've read them won't mind helping out those who haven't, hopefully without giving away any spoilers, in case anyone does get inspired to track down the books and read them for themselves.

Adonis

I'll be setting the GRP a few hundred years into the future. All of the main characters from the books will have passed on already. Most likely I'm going to break up the D'hara empire into it's original size, so it will only be a single country as it began.

The Sword of Truth will have been shattered by Zedd before he died, and re-forged by him in Aydindril into several copies of it. Mainly to prevent people from fighting over Seeker titles.

FYI- if you intend to be one of the Seekers, know now that this will not be something that is established, but something earned. There will be no "I am starting as the Seeker" happening. The weapons will be something that are literally "sought".

Races/Magical beings that I will *NOT* be allowing, as of right now. (Note: This list may change at any time, should onna you lil buggers try to sneak one past me ;) )

Dream Walkers
Male Confessors
Slides
O/O's

Sarah Morgan

I like the sound of the plot so far.  I need to refresh my memory on what a Slide is, so maybe I'll start re-reading the books ASAP.  I wish there was a Sword of Truth wiki somewhere though, as it would save a lot of time!  I only have the books in an audio format, but maybe I'll see what I can dig up online, thanks to the usually helpful Google!

Adonis

http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Magic

QuoteSlide
Main Article: Slide

A soul stealer. A Slide could reach into a person and remove their soul, then use it to control animals from a great distance. When within other animals, a Slide left his own body for a time and his soul travelled with the souls he used. According to Nathan Rahl, a slide is only vulnerable when he leaves his body. This is perhaps due to the speed with which a slide can take the soul of a potential threat. Slides were also known to be uncontrollable and always desired to take power for themselves.
O/O's

Sarah Morgan

Thanks.  I did a search and came across the same info, and it probably wouldn't be good for anyone who's interested in reading the books to go looking through it, as there are spoilers given as to who's living and dead, given in the lists of characters that correspond to each type of magic user.  Still, a good source of info, if you don't mind learning a few facts without reading the books. 

Adonis

Ive read them all, and for simplicity's sake, once we have enough interest, I'll blow through and list available "classes" that I'm going to allow to make sure I don't get crazy crap happening. Nothing kills a game where magic is involved faster than someone trying to overpower.
O/O's

AndyZ

I used to absolutely love this series.  I've read all of the books repeatedly, other than Law of Nines and Omen Machine, which I only read once.

I'm definitely interested but want more info before I commit.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Sarah Morgan

Omen Machine?  I don't think I've heard of that one, and I haven't read Law of Nines yet, but I'm planning on it.  Is Omen Machine a new book?  I'll have to see if I can't trackit down somewhere.

AndyZ

Omen Machine is the newest book, though it actually happens before Law of Nines.  There's audio books out for both.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Sarah Morgan

I actually have the audio version of Law of Nines, but I suppose I need to read the newest book first, or does it matter?  I'll see if I can't find it somewhere.  I've read the main series, all except for the prequel, but I know where I can get it and read it.  I just haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on it, especially if this game does get going.

AndyZ

Law of Nines is actually much, much later chronologically.  You can skip it if you like.  The Omen Machine takes place after Confessor, although I'm not sure if it's days, weeks, months or even a couple years later.

Fair warning that Omen Machine has some degree of a cliffhanger.  Whether he's building towards a trilogy or longer, I'm not sure, though.

Saerrael

Quote from: Adonis on September 08, 2011, 12:33:54 AM

Races/Magical beings that I will *NOT* be allowing, as of right now. (Note: This list may change at any time, should onna you lil buggers try to sneak one past me ;) )

Dream Walkers
Male Confessors
Slides

Ah, well, that leaves me out.

Good luck with your game :)

AndyZ

I suggest not allowing Witch Women (aka Shota) but your call is your call.

I will in all likelihood play a wizard (additive only unless you actually allow war wizards).

HockeyGod

Sarah Morgan

Not yet, although I'm hoping it will.  I think the person thinking of starting it was waiting for more interest, but not sure.  I don't have any ideas for characters yet, but maybe if we get enough interest, we'll get more info, and then that'll help get an idea going as far as characters go.