What happens when the oil runs out?

Started by Paradox, June 07, 2010, 10:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

I normally do my own research when I become curious about something, but all I've been able to turn up are articles about oil shortage on a global scale (granted, I only searched for about five minutes because I thought it would make an interesting topic here >_>). I want to know what physically happens to the space the oil occupied once we have drained all of it. Judging by the amount of oil contained in some of the wells, we are displacing enormous quantities of matter from once place to another. I can't image that the space where the oil has been for millennia will simply stay stable. In the case of deep-water wells, will the sea simply sink to replace the displaced oil?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Wolfy

Either the Sea will sink, or the Land will. Especially with earthquakes.

Ket

Divide by zero. 

I promise I'll have something better after math homework!
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Oniya

Well, something will have to go into the space.  Whether it's air or water will depend on what's available.  You then start having to deal with whether the empty space is unstable (in the case of air), or whether the surrounding minerals are soluble (in the case of water).  In either case, the caverns could eventually collapse, causing sinkholes or tidal waves.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Paradox on June 07, 2010, 10:23:20 AM
I normally do my own research when I become curious about something, but all I've been able to turn up are articles about oil shortage on a global scale (granted, I only searched for about five minutes because I thought it would make an interesting topic here >_>). I want to know what physically happens to the space the oil occupied once we have drained all of it. Judging by the amount of oil contained in some of the wells, we are displacing enormous quantities of matter from once place to another. I can't image that the space where the oil has been for millennia will simply stay stable. In the case of deep-water wells, will the sea simply sink to replace the displaced oil?

Yes. Initially the seafloor/ground falls, but slower than the oil leaves and eventually the oil won't come up anymore of it's own volition, so seawater/gunk gets pumped in to keep the oil flowing. We only recover about half the oil from a given well.

Paradox

So, assuming the sea floor does indeed fall, does it fall enough to affect the sea level to any significant extent?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Vekseid

264.17 gallons per cubic meter, 335,258,000 square kilometers of ocean... you'd need to pump about two billion barrels out, without replacing anything, to lower the effective sea level by a millimeter. The crust also moves extremely slowly - Minnesota and other glacially depressed areas are still rebounding from the retreat of the last glacial period. Current rate of sea level rise is about 3mm per year.

If you're thinking of a way for "the problem to be its own solution", the increased precipitation on land will probably do far more to alleviate sea level rise.

Paradox

Oh no, this has nothing to do with the BP debacle; it's simply something I've been wondering about for a while. Thanks!

Majere Dreavan

Easy answer. Nothing, There is no space left.

Simple Explanation: We don't pump straight oil out of a deep cavernous container. Its actually a loose rock formation, that we spend ageless hours trying to preserve. Fill a jar with rocks. then pour water into it, That's about like what the oil is contained in.

I'm not going to cite any references here cause I know from working with the oil well directly. I used to be a roustabout/Field Coordinator for Nabors Offshore Drilling. Something catastrophic has to happen for the formation to cave in, And usually only caves in on the pipe we got down there.

If I'm wrong... I don't want to think about what I've done.

Vekseid

Well, the oil does initially come up through its own pressure, which means that stress is ultimately getting relieved - that is mass removed straight from the ground without meaningful replacement however safe. It's just negligible for any practical effect.

Yin

Quote from: Vekseid on June 13, 2010, 08:43:25 AM
Well, the oil does initially come up through its own pressure, which means that stress is ultimately getting relieved - that is mass removed straight from the ground without meaningful replacement however safe. It's just negligible for any practical effect.
High-pressure stress getting relieved doesn't imply a vacuum that will be need to be filled; quite the opposite in fact.

Still, yes: negligible impact upon the planet.