News:

Main Menu

Left 4 Dead

Started by Le RandomBloke, July 16, 2008, 02:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le RandomBloke

http://www.l4d.com/

Anyone else unable to wait for this game? I'm extremely excited! Perhaps it's because I just adore Zombie-horror and Cooperation in games in general, but this one deffinatly takes the cake when I look through all the other zombie-related games. I could say so many things about it but that's only going to make me more impatient! I want it nauuu!

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

ZK

I had it reserved for the 360, but after I got my new PC, I canceled reservation. Just going to snag it on Steam. :)

It'll be cheaper with a better player-base. 360 tends to have sucky kids and teens cursing at each other more then the PC I've found out.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MagicalPen

Oh! Me me!  I wants it!

Looks pretty cool, will def get it from Steam too. PC gaming so much better.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Jeramiahh

PC gaming for life.

Yeah, I've found the Steam community, in general, a lot more mature. I play TF2 on a number of different servers, and only rarely have to mute the guy who feels we all need to hear his rap music, or the guy who decides that, despite being #6 on an 8 man team, 'you all fucking suck', and feels the need to inform us every thirty seconds.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

ZK

It also feels so weird playing a Counterstrike Game on the XBOX. It isn't meant for controllers.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Le RandomBloke

Quote from: ZK on July 16, 2008, 03:34:23 PM
It also feels so weird playing a Counterstrike Game on the XBOX. It isn't meant for controllers.

No FPS' are to be honest. That's how I feel about it anyway.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

ZK

I can play FPS with a controller, just anything touched by ValVE doesn't feel right with a controller. Some FPS games are so damn simple, you can use a controller though.

Jeramiahh

Agreed. I will destroy any controller user with my mouse and keyboard... and I'm not even terribly good.

I do love that, when they released Halo 2 for PC, they had to hamstring the PC users, so they wouldn't completely dominate the Xbox players.

This definitely looks like a game I'd pick up; I both loved and hated Ravenholm. =P
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Le RandomBloke

Well I'm not saying I can't play 'em with a controller. They adjust the game so it works like Halo and such anyway, but it just doesn't feel right. Using a mouse just gives so much more control and basically the reason they're so simple is they can't make it hard because thumbsticks just bloody suck to aim with, really. I'm not a real console fan anyway, so I guess that might have something to do with it aswell.

Especially on a game that's going to be as intense as this, how can people even consider doing that with a controller?

ZK

I play on my console mainly Action Adventure and RPG games then anything else.

Le RandomBloke

Aww yea, Fable 2. Damn all those good games, I need more money.

ZK

Action Adventure works better with a controller. As does RPGs (Minus CRPGs and Mass Effect). As well a few niche things like survival horror would feel a bit wonky on a PC, unless it's RE4 and 5.

Le RandomBloke

Sod RE4 on PC, not that I didn't love it, it was awesome as always. But they seriously should've made it possible to change the controls, "PRESS RIGHT THUMBSTICK TO DODGE" when some boulder came at you and there I was with my keyboard just smashing all the keys hoping I would get it right.

Sabby

360 for me, but I don't have a choice :P 360 multiplayer community sucks

ZK

It's why I never renewed my gold account sub.

Le RandomBloke

I never really got the whole console-multiplayer thing either. Unless it's LAN with your friends, but I'm a big PC dork really.

Protocol

Quote from: Jeramiahh on July 16, 2008, 03:32:35 PM
PC gaming for life.

Yeah, I've found the Steam community, in general, a lot more mature. I play TF2 on a number of different servers, and only rarely have to mute the guy who feels we all need to hear his rap music, or the guy who decides that, despite being #6 on an 8 man team, 'you all fucking suck', and feels the need to inform us every thirty seconds.

There is definitely a maturity in the PC Gaming world I haven't found in the console games. I don't know why that is. I do remember when I first noticed the change though. When Counterstrike: Source first came out, it was like a whole new crowd of players emerged. All the whiney little kids who screamed into their mics and bitched at each other all the time seemed to stay behind on 1.6. Which was fine by me of, of course.

And I love Valve, so, so much. Left 4 Dead is just another great looking game from them.

sleepingferret

A quick word about Counterstrike: Source though... it just looks prettier.  The "hit" boxes aren't molded to to the models very well.  Nor does the game engine simulate weapon recoil and bullet physics as well, considering how much more advanced the Source engine is.  When players can get head shots better by running around emptying entire magazines from automatic weapons, rather than someone taking the time to aim you know something is off.

The spray and pray issue has been around since 1.6 and only gets worse with Counterstrike: Source since the engine can process gunfire that much quicker and more efficiently.

Le RandomBloke

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 09, 2008, 02:39:26 AM
The spray and pray issue has been around since 1.6 and only gets worse with Counterstrike: Source since the engine can process gunfire that much quicker and more efficiently.

Someone who sprays and prays gets raped on the server I play on. The game is amazingly fun, the only problem I have is that people who do go spray and pray yell 'Hacker' as soon as you easily put them down. Meh, dunno, don't care either. I did try a mod on the source engine once which was amazingly realistic, so realistic that people just camped like little pussies because they died so easily. *shrugs*

Protocol

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 09, 2008, 02:39:26 AM
A quick word about Counterstrike: Source though... it just looks prettier.  The "hit" boxes aren't molded to to the models very well.  Nor does the game engine simulate weapon recoil and bullet physics as well, considering how much more advanced the Source engine is.  When players can get head shots better by running around emptying entire magazines from automatic weapons, rather than someone taking the time to aim you know something is off.

I hear the hitbox argument a lot. I think that's only a half truth, though. People call all sorts of fouls when they're the one's dying, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

Personally I believe CS:S is great how it is. I don't think realism is something that would fit well with CS. It feel more like COD4 or something, in which case I'll just go play COD4 because it looks better, anyway. When I just want to run around and really have fun and be with my clanmates, I go to CS:S.