News:

Main Menu

Good TV Series?

Started by Drake Valentine, April 05, 2016, 01:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch421

Oldie but Goodie
V~ I'm talking the original that had Robert Englund and Marc Singer.... The one thing I loved to stay up and watch. (though the other one with Laura Vandervoort and Morena Baccarin wasn't terrible)
Gilligan's Island~ Still watch it and still get that dang theme stuck in my head.
Northern Exposure
Others just don't hold up... Like I'm laughing every time I watch an old episode of the A-Team. Maybe it's just because as a Marine Vet I know what a hand grenade would actually do to people.

Others just jumbled up
Sliders~ Still addicted to that show... When I start I can't stop.
Nikita~ Maggie Q might have a little something to do with it.
Orphan Black~ Addictive as hell and Tatiana Maslany is one hell of an actress.
Witchblade~ Honestly I enjoyed the show... I liked the people they picked to play the characters as well.

Drake Valentine

Sliders - Was good with the first few seasons up to the point involving one of the main characters in one of the later seasons(two or three, it was zombie one.) Then it just spiral downhill from there with lots of the cast leaving including the MC(if I am not mistaken) and the plot just went way out of context. Pity really as I did have high hopes for that tv series when it first aired many years ago; as it was honestly one of my first favorite Sci-fi shows at its time, well, till it went to crap.
Tales From the Crypt - These were good, I don't think I seen all the series, but from what episodes I have seen; they were great. One of the very few, classical horror tv series that spun different stories and settings. Actually, looking it up, I know I haven't seen all the episodes given its original airing span. I know I was a kid what few I have seen when it was airing. Though for tv series at its time I think episode wise they were short in span, maybe 20-30 minutes? It has been a loong time when you compare current tv series with their hour long episodes of today.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

SmuttyReader

Drake Valentine

Constantine - Was really good, the only thing I didn't like about it was.. Well. The actor wasn't funny. I mean, maybe I was adapted to the movie version where guy was funny as hell, but I hardly laughed throughout the entire series of the TV show. Maybe I am just not fond of dry humor.
Chuck(Think name of it)- I can't remember the name of it, maybe cause it was that bad; but... Damn. DAAAAMN. I dunno if it gets better in future, but I couldn't finish the first season cause it was just that god awful to me. Plus, dunno what is up with all episode titles, it is Chuck vs whatever. ;\

Well, think that so far that was only things new I watched. I was on lookout for other TV series, something more action/martial arts; but dunno. I noticed they did a Rush Hour(it was on PSN where I generally buy series to watch from time to time, but it didn't have season pass.) Also, I saw that they axed the TV series after doing some research, like, literally axe it after first season. ;\ Again, dunno if it was good or bad as I haven't watched a single episode and now apprehensive in watching any episode given that it was discontinued.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

mia h

Rush Hour is still on air, they pretty much canned the show after the third episode because the ratings were that bad but they're burning off the episodes because they've got nothing to replace it.

Also kinda shocked that nobody has mentioned Halt and Catch Fire or Underground or Manhattan.
HCF - The show is about the personal computer revolution in the 1980's and what happens when slick salesmen, hardware engineers & and software engineers clash. The second season improves on the first and includes the birth of online gaming. The show is fictional but based on real events of the time.

Underground - It's a period drama about the Underground Railroad, focusing on a group of escaping slaves, the people hunting them and the people helping them.

Manhattan - Unfortunately cancelled after it's second season. But it's a really tense, period drama about the scientists would worked on the "Thin Man" and "Fat Man" nuclear bombs during the WW II. It turns out morally compromised people and plutonium are a bad mix.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Drake Valentine

Eck, didn't know it turned out that badly.  TV series based off of movies were always a bit squeamish to me. The only somewhat decent one I seen from TV series adaption was Transporter. 

Well, that helps in avoiding to watch it. If they are just killing it off after third episode, I doubt the others are going to be any more appealing; unless they smash hit it as a one season show. xD

masterwill21

Walking Dead, favourite show I think.
Ash vs Evil Dead just fantastic.

Fargo, seasons one and two are on Netflix, fantastic show believe they are working on season three right now. If you enjoyed the film the show is even better.

Stranger Things, really great cast and some creepy ideas, good throwback to 80's horror but it's entirely it's own thing too.

Daredevil, season one was great, season two was damn good as well. Can't wait to see more of Punisher.

Spotless, a little slow in some parts, but it was funny in dark way. 

RedRose

Fargo and Stranger Things are fantastic!
I loved the first season of True detective. Black Matter is great.
Currently watching The Bureau

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Raziel

On Netflix the Scream series is really good.

As for proper TV, my favourite show has to be Lucifer, cop show, some comedy and the devil what's not to love :P Would also put Arrow and The Flash in for my top 3 on TV.

Drake Valentine

12 Monkeys: Is really good, well few episodes I watched so far from Season I. Basically it is a series dealing with time travel and how events in past can rearrange things of the future(or for the time traveler, his 'Present Day.') So kind of a Sci - Fi / Action / Drama. Not only that, but I don't know how far they really scripted the events, given character interactions of instances in episodes where someone mentions they already met him in a past time line and other episodes that show such confrontations and how something was triggered.

Drake Valentine

Ugh...... 12 Monkeys is good, but there are some plotholes. Especially with season 2 finale. I am sorry, but there is no possible way that can happen
Minor gist of it
as the event leading to that event was rewritten by another event
More Indepth
Read at your own risk
Seriously, if you don't care for the show or already finished it; don't come crying to me if you find yourself spoiled if you picked it up
So basically in better terms Cole and Dr Railey are the supposive parents to the Witness. Now here is the plothole in that. The time they spent together was basically rewritten by him jumping to his former body and stopping the Messenger from killing the Primal. So again, how exactly is Doctor Railey pregnant if he went back in time again prior to the events of said impregnation of her? I'm all for maybe that new serum letting them retain their memories, but I am not going to believe in the slightest it allows them to maintain things that may of happened in future for them. That time frame of them being together intimately was completely rewritten, it only occurred after she was in coma from them failing to save Primal. So, yes, hard to explain this in sensible manner, but him taking that magical herbal tea and hijacking his past self to save Primal from Messenger would equate to no romantic time in that time stamp period. If we follow past being rewritten and things not occurring, then in hindsight she should not be pregnant. Witness should not be born. Show should be over; that or replace another major villain. So they(creators of the show) are breaking their own rules of time travel/causality now? 
. Major plothole.

Kaspider

Penny dreadful starts very fast paced and full of action but midway season 2, the pace changes. It halts to almost a stop but the great thing is it never gets boring because they add gothic poetic and philosophy and great characters with great storylines. I love it. I have still to finish season 3.

I'm just glad majority of you didn't mention game of thrones. I don't like it.

Breaking bad is one good damn TV show. If you haven't watched it then that must be your first choice.

Walking dead and fear TWD are my favourite. Especially walking dead is my all time favourite. Love those characters. I would say season 2 of fear is really good.

Arrow and dare devil I stopped watching. Too much repetitive and stuff. Jessica Jones was just OK. The only thing that bothered me was lack of profanity and smoking (opposed to the comics).
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.

RedRose

I've binge watched The Bureau, just perfect.
I'm now watching The Tunnel which is really good and getting better (a bit of a slower beginning).
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

zzy123

If you like British comedy then Peep Show, The IT Crowd, The Office and Father Ted are the best. Really good shows!

AmberStarfire

Monty Python and Red Dwarf bring back memories. :)

Spermonator

Hooten & the Lady - The cutest couple in universe.Also there is a Indiana Jones flavor to the show.

The Good Place - Kinda funny , but not too much.I still like it.

Westworld - My favorite show this season.Go watch it and you will ove it too.It has violence, sex, and drama.

Lucifer - Interesting aproach on the oldest vilian ever.

Preacher - Very bloody, prepare to puke while watching some of the scenes, but it really cool.The Preacher wan'ts to kill God.

RedRose

I'm loving Black Mirror. Caveat the third season is disappointing...

PennySludt

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 06, 2016, 11:03:37 PM
Warehouse 13: Centers around several agents going out to find artifacts and neutralize them. Kinda Indiana Jones-ish. Action. Humor. Scifi/fantasy.

Eureka: I haven't had a chance to watch this one yet, but it looks good. Another tv show from the Syfy channel.

Leverage: Awesome cast. Action. Humor. The team helps those who have no where else to go.

Warehouse 13, Eureka, Leverage! AWESOME shows!! I also love Psych for the silliness and fun! :D I also like NCIS with their character play :-)
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Drake Valentine

Supernatural: Surprisingly a good TV series. I was bit skeptic at first, but after watching first season(takes awhile to pick up,) it got me hooked. Of course I honestly liked the random horror stories they had going before the bigger plot down the line in season 3+(I believe was the point where story took different focus point.) I think I stopped around season 5 or 6 at moment. Whichever one sets up the next 'Arc.' Cause way I see it you had the 'Monster hunting arc,' then the other arc, and now whatever arc season 5/6 sets up. Of course with 12 seasons, not sure how many arcs there are.

Kaspider

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 11, 2016, 06:58:06 AM
Supernatural: Surprisingly a good TV series. I was bit skeptic at first, but after watching first season(takes awhile to pick up,) it got me hooked. Of course I honestly liked the random horror stories they had going before the bigger plot down the line in season 3+(I believe was the point where story took different focus point.) I think I stopped around season 5 or 6 at moment. Whichever one sets up the next 'Arc.' Cause way I see it you had the 'Monster hunting arc,' then the other arc, and now whatever arc season 5/6 sets up. Of course with 12 seasons, not sure how many arcs there are.

You use the word surprisingly I saw. To be honest, I don't like one episode plots and I had a really hard time watching the first episodes of supernatural until I just stopped watching.

However I do wonder how is the writing and direction/action/character depth compared to The walking dead. People say TWD has a shit writing script. I think it's amazing.
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.

mia h

Nobody has mentioned Rectify which is now into it's fourth and final season. The show is about a man who returns to his hometown after being held on death row for 18 years and is released on a technicality; how he reacts to life on the outside, how the outside reacts to him and the biggest question of all is he really guilty?
It might feel a little slow for some people, but I think more of it being unhurried than slow.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.