Halo: Extinction

Started by Sabby, January 19, 2008, 08:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

The Flood is not some stupid parasite. It has a center. A mind. And it has spoken to us, laughing. We are not the first. It has done this before, elsewhere...

Ancient Forerunner Log

Millions of years ago, a parasite took a grip on the universe. It was known as, "The Flood". Each enemy that fell joined its ranks, and the infection spread. It was unstoppable. All the space faring races that fought were consumed, and those that ran were only delaying their fates. Every 16 hours, another planet would be taken.

The Forerunners had been the ones to unknowingly unleash this terror. They were the most advanced race in the universe, and they had prepared for an outbreak such as this. It was an absolute last resort, and so a thousand other plans were tried, and all failed. Billions of men and women fell before only one option remained.

The last of the Forerunners, possibly the last intelligent beings left in the universe, retreated to The Ark. It was here they would hide, and from here, they activated the 7 Halo's.

Great waves of energy coursed through the galaxy, destroying any creature with sufficient intelligence and body mass to sustain the parasite. How this was done, we do not know. How the Forerunners survived in the Ark, we do not know.

But the universe was picked clean. There were no hosts left. the parasite starved to death.

Emerging from the Ark, the Forerunners began to rebuild.

They had survived a genocide that had continued long before their time. The universe had fallen to the parasite many times before. With the Halo's, they had managed to break the cycle.

Now, it is the year 2525. Humans have advanced and colonized the universe. Known as the UNSC, they have become locked in a devastating war with The Covenant, a ring of fanatical alien races who have been led to believe the humans extinction is the will of their Gods, the Ancient Forerunners.

Little do they know, the humans are the Forerunners descendants, "The Children of the Ark" when their war brings them to accidentally unlock a pocket of hibernating Flood, the Covenant cast down their leaders and form an alliance with the UNSC. Led by The Prohpets lies, they had wrongfully burned the humans worlds, killing countless innocents.

Now the war is over, and an even more deadly foe must be faced. The Forerunners had barely managed to save themselves before. Could it be stopped again? Or will The Covenant and the UNSC fall, as countless empires have in the past.

Take up the Plasma Sword and fight for Sangheili pride as an Elite.

Become the unstoppable power of a Spartan super soldier.

Put on the boots of a simple human Marine

be the Captain of a massive UNSC vessel or Covenant ship and take part in big scale space battles against the infected ships of The Flood.

Drop in and defend your worlds on foot, collaborating with past enemies to push this parasite into extinction.

Whether by air, space, on foot or in vehicles, by the technology of Human and Alien weaponry, you have a chance. You can break the cycle, and stop the Flood once and for all.

Completely Freeform, and alternate take on the Halo storyline. Partly based on real Halo Back story.

Jefepato

I think I should read up a little more on the Halo backstory, but I'm in.

Sabby

If you'd like, I could post the basics. Though I'm not a pure Halo nerd, so things like dates and stuff I wouldn't have...

Anyway, welcome aboard :) have any idea how your going to play? Character?

::NOTE::: Alternate Take on Halo. Back story may be altered in places.

Jefepato

Not entirely sure.  I might play one of the Covenant races if I can find a suitable list/images somewhere.  If not one of them, probably a Spartan -- they might not be a match for Gordon Freeman, but they're still undeniably badass.

Sabby

Gordon Freeman is an incredibly skilled human being. No match for the power of a Spartan.

Jefepato

Lies.  Look, I have proof:

http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=freemanik7.jpg

Clearly, the war just would've been too easy if the SPARTAN project had fielded theoretical physicists instead of super-soldiers.

Sabby

Oh for the love of gawd! XD photoshoppers...

The Spartans were a complicated project. Couples who were in for check ups had their DNA scanned, and certain combinations of genes were found that would support the project. Secretly, the couples were altered so that they would bear a child who would be incredibly responsive to the training and alteration of a Spartan that they had in mind at the time.

The kids were born, and at a young age, they were stolen and replaced with clones that would soon die of natural deceases. There were roughly 100 children, and they were told honestly what had been done, and they had undergone intense training, education and tactics. As early teens, they were all incredible covert operatives, working perfectly as a team.

The next phases came, and as the years went by, the Spartans were altered, the standard faster/stronger/better in every way cliche. Many of them couldn't take the augmentation, and became mentally and/or physically handicapped. By the time their Mjolnir armor was being tested, only 33 remained.

When the wars broke out, Covenant shielding technology was adapted and improved upon, and added to the Spartans armor. Cortana, a very unique and advanced AI, was infused with John 117, the Master Chief. She could inhabit a gel layer in his armor, which acted as an enhanced extension of his own mind.

She quickened his senses even more, and now, he can spike his abilities to the point where he will act before he even realizes he was considering acting. His reflexes were so enhanced at one point, he deflected a missile with his arm, and he done it so fast he didn't realize he was about to do it.

Thats the history of the Spartans for you :)

Jefepato

Hm, very nice.

The Elites don't seem as cool as I'd hoped, and they appear to be the only Covie race that makes a likely PC for this sort of game.  I think I'll go with a Spartan.

*runs off to Wikipedia*

Sabby

Elites have a lot of interesting options. I love the mentality of them. Now, if you wanted to be a Grunt... hehe.

"Little people first!"

Jefepato

It seems like most of the non-Elite Covenant races, at least the ones that actually fight (i.e. not the ruling class, whatever they were called), have mentalities that would make them implausible as PCs.

Especially Grunts, but also Brutes, etc.

Sabby

Hmmm... the Prophets your thinking of, but they get booted. So I'm assuming the Jiralhannae (Brutes) get booted along with them. Grunts, Elites and Hunters (or Unngoy, Sangheili and Lekgolo if you wanna be technical) join up with the humans, thats for sure.

Another non-combat race is the Engineers. Floated, gas filled jelly fish things that repair machinery. So not right for a PC.

Hmmm... I wonder if the Sentinels could be incorporated somehow. Bipedal robots would kick ass.

HairyHeretic

Sounds fun, but I've never played HALO, or read any of the comics / novels, so not sure how well I could stick to the canon.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jefepato

I've barely played Halo, hairy.  It shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of it if you skim Wikipedia a little.

Sabby

Never had a game with you HH :) if you do join up, Halo is a great plot line, and as Jef said, its not too hard to get into.

HairyHeretic

Generic military sci fi I can do quite easily. I'd just want to get a feel for the background of HALO before committing to play. Aside from wikipedia, any good links?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sabby

Hmmm... never needed a reference myself, but I do remember a really helpful site.

*scrounges around for link*

http://halostory.bungie.org/story/resources.html

psouth119

i would love to join this role play. i love halo, i've played all 3 halo games and read the books. Im in as a badass spartan

Sabby

Hmmm... reading the books is a definite plus :) but I've had you in my Heroines games, and I know your role playing can be a little too jumpy. So I'm a little weary on letting you in...

psouth119

have you guys started the role play yet

Sabby

No. So far, we have Jefe in, HairyHeretic seems interested, but not official, and a new member Question Mark shouldn't be too opposed to playing.

LordAnubis

Sounds intresting.  At the risk of joining a mass on one side I'd want to be a spartan as well.  I like the Elite and their cloaking armor, just found spartan's to be more my speed.

Granted I also say that because whenevr I played co-op I always reposessed vehicles for my parner and it just looked cooler to see the spartan jumping onto the back of a charging Ghost and de-setting the covent warrior on it.

Sabby

If Halo 3 Co-Op mode taught us anything, its that Elites can kick ass too :)

Seeing as how every man and his dog are guna be a Spartan, looks like I'll decide on something else. I'll have a main character, and control the NPC's. I'll share the NPC control though, so feel free to bring in your own and control NPC's where appropriate.

Since the story focuses heavily on the Flood, that could open some possibilities. We know they have Worker Forms, Combat Forms, Ranger Forms, Carrier Forms and Commander Forms, but those can vary A LOT! The Combat Forms we've seen have have been based off Human and Elite corpses, but with sufficient mass, The Flood can mutate their hosts.

Basically, throw a heap of bodies in a pile and make a big, twisted, hulking behemoth. So, we should have some fun with some different Flood forms :)

toying with the idea of a Host World. We know the Flood has one... but is it a planet where they centre they're operations? Or is it an actual Flood...

Archangel

SPARTANs are for suckers !!!!  ;D j/k

I'm a big HALO fan, and would probably be interested in playing in such a game, but I would want to play an ODST Marine, the best of the best...
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you...

Sabby

Ah! A Helljumper! one of the hardest damned soldiers in the whole UNSC. You'd be dropping in to the fight from orbit, running the risk of burning up in your pod.

Archangel

Helljumpers don't die... They go to hell and regroup...

Sign me up !!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you...