How to Teach Kids to Let Go of Stuff?

Started by PennySludt, April 01, 2016, 01:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennySludt

I was wondering this morning about how you can teach children something that feels so contradictory to me. The problem I'm trying to figure out is how do you teach children that 'things' aren't important and you shouldn't get attached to them, but at the same time teach them to respect their things? I find it hard to explain something I don't understand.

How do you explain that something should matter, but at the same time, not?
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Oniya

Are we talking about things like loveys or things like iPods?  Respect for a pricey piece of electronics comes from the reality that if it gets broken, it may not be possible to afford a replacement.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

PennySludt

Anything! We have five thousand stuffed animals, Barbies, dolls, baby books, movies they don't watch, even clothes they won't let go of!
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Oniya

I remember reading a story in Highlights ages ago, about a boy who got a pair of mittens for Christmas.  After a while, the mittens were too small, but he didn't want to give them up.  Eventually, his parents were at one of those Christmas Giving Trees, explaining what it was for, and the boy realized that his too-small mittens weren't keeping his hands warm (because he couldn't get them on), but that they would help keep someone with smaller hands warm.  The story ended with him carefully hanging the mittens on the tree.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17