Home Decorating Suggestions?

Started by Faustus, February 14, 2014, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

So, me and the husband are changing up our room and we're working around a certain design skematic.

This is basically the bedding that we are working with. It matches this lovely chest we have that is the same pattern, but reversed colours (black design - white background, as opposed to the sheets which are white design). It will be paired with this simple headboard.

We want to work our room the best we can around that. Combined with the fact that this is about the colour of the carpeting in our room, I'd say we're decently hard pressed in coming up with something that will look good.

There is a chance the carpet will be coming up. But operating on the assumption that it is not, what would my good home decorators suggest as nice colours for the rest of the room? We only ask that purple not be suggested, because the room is currently a lavender/lilac. . .thing. . .from when my mother surprised me by painting while I was away some time ago.

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Aislinn

Hmmm. It looks like you have similar colors to what I have in my bedroom at the moment.

I'm a huge fan of dark burgundy. I painted my bedroom that color several years ago and have loved it ever since. Really brings a very calming effect to the room. I would find a shade that works with your carpet. I love doing different walls different colors but because of the somewhat loud design on the bedding, I would stick with a uniform color on the walls.

I'm normally not one to suggest white walls either but in this case, it might be something to consider as well. If you were going to do two-tone, white and dark burgundy might be a good option. You can find free generators on the web that show you what a room looks like if you paint it different colors. That might be a great place to start!

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

Good luck!
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Oniya

Burgundy and black aren't too horrible together.  I'd go with a light color (probably white as Aislinn suggested) for the walls, maybe with some trim to match the carpet (adding color to molding will make the ceiling seem lower).  Metallic accents would probably be best from the gold/brass range instead of silver.  If you want a touch of color to the drapes without being overwhelming, put a white 'openwork' fabric over a burgundy solid.  The burgundy will block light as needed, and the white will moderate it so your room doesn't look dominated by it.

The black/white combo will go with a lot of things if you do pull up the carpet, and the window treatment can have the solid layer swapped out very easily.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aislinn

I suppose I should have mentioned my ideas were if the carpet stays. If the carpet goes, sky's the limit!  ;D
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Faustus

Aislinn, I had no idea there were online visualizers like that. Hello, saving grace!

Thank you both for the suggestions, actually. Both have already been helpful to me.  ;D

And yeah, the game changes *completely* if this carpet goes out like we want. Its bad carpet. Like. CheapCheapCheap that feels terrible and has the glue coming up through it in places. We're totally looking into that as well.

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Autumn Sativus

Honestly I would probably go with a dark taupe on the browner not pinker side of the shade. With the pop of red carpet, white trim and black bedding, that would be so warm and comforting...
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oniya

Out of curiosity, was the burgundy carpet there when your mother decided to paint the room lavender?  'Cause I don't think I've ever seen those two colors paired.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Faustus

I had considered Taupe as well, especially a pretty dark one. . .

Oniya, YES it was! You would be AMAZED how well it actually works. I. . .don't know how it happened, but it did. I'll try to get an image shot of it if I can to show how it actually balanced somehow.

Beguile's Mistress

You might want to consider several shades of gold to bring color into the room.  A pale gold for the walls and a darker or dusty gold for pillows and window treatments.  In my opinion it's warmer than start white.  However, it can be a bit too Mediterranean for some tasts.  I'd suggest a look at ivory, cream or off-white.  Pale shades will blend with the white in you other elements rather than clash.

BAMF

I'm going to second the gold idea. It can look either Mediterranean like Bemi suggested, or it can look nice and luxurious too. It kind of depends on the shade you're going with. Heck, you can even get kind of an "antique" feel, but with the bedspread/headboard combo you have, it seems more modern and that the antique feel would be off.

I also agree that the burgundy would look nice with the black and white. If you have to live with that carpet, I think you could definitely find a way to make it work in the interim between now and when it gets torn up (It is getting torn up, right? From the description, it sounds ghastly. ;D)
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«