Game of Thrones - Recruitment closed [NC Human]

Started by ererruz, April 18, 2014, 03:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajah

Expressing interest in the character of King Robert's bastard - a 'ward' from a small and long-broken House that is quietly, and desperately, keeping up the pretense that that their first son is not so weak and addled by a riding accident as to be utterly useless and that their second son (my character) is not a bastard. They're all but ghosts walking, and this thin shred of illusion is the little that stands between them and vanishing, a footnote in a dusty Maester's ledger - and it IS an illusion, of course. One they couldn't sell for a heartbeat without the assistance of House Greystark, who have accepted my character under certain unusual conditions - fealty of the permanent sort beyond mere wardship-until-adulthood, as an oath on public record, a humiliating concession and acknowledgement that they cannot lay claim to even the respect due a banner house - and a singular service done for Lord Greystark to go in my Secrets section, one certain other characters will hopefully enjoy.

He has little nobility, but he does his best to be noble; unfortunately, the only talent of his that's particularly developed is a breathtaking facility with violence and a likewise-uncanny natural grace. Which would be ideal if he was a mercenary or sworn sword, or if it was at least backed up by some talent for command...instead it just pushes him ever farther away from political relevance, into the pigeonhole of retainer. Of nobody, the way he sees it. And he has very good eyes. Oh, and he's huge. His House - well, his lineage, at least - are crannogmen. Huge, weirdly nimble, descendant of the frog-eaters...it took less time than a blink to assign him his styling in House Greystark.

They call him the Toad.

(Flail-and-knife fighter; would like to reflavor a parrying dagger as a frog spear, if allowed, as a cosmetic concession. Good at the personal-scale combat four-sided pyramid, notably Agility and Awareness, will leave other things to other people. Not incompetent in a social contest but definitely always a support role at best. Have a lot of things to flesh him out with, the above is just a sketch to give y'all some context.)
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Crasey

Just to be sure:

Quote from: ererruz on April 18, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
  • Greystarks can choose either Blood of the First Men or Blood of Andals (depending whether they've taken after their Northern or Southern ancestors).
Quote from: ererruz on April 18, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
  • Every character gets one Heritage or Fate quality for free (or a different quality if it'd fit the character more; please, discuss this with me first).

I get the impression this means these don't cost destiny points, but do they also not count against the maximum benefits value?

ererruz

Quote from: Rajah on April 24, 2014, 02:24:44 PM
Expressing interest in the character of King Robert's bastard - a 'ward' from a small and long-broken House that is quietly, and desperately, keeping up the pretense that that their first son is not so weak and addled by a riding accident as to be utterly useless and that their second son (my character) is not a bastard. They're all but ghosts walking, and this thin shred of illusion is the little that stands between them and vanishing, a footnote in a dusty Maester's ledger - and it IS an illusion, of course. One they couldn't sell for a heartbeat without the assistance of House Greystark, who have accepted my character under certain unusual conditions - fealty of the permanent sort beyond mere wardship-until-adulthood, as an oath on public record, a humiliating concession and acknowledgement that they cannot lay claim to even the respect due a banner house - and a singular service done for Lord Greystark to go in my Secrets section, one certain other characters will hopefully enjoy.

He has little nobility, but he does his best to be noble; unfortunately, the only talent of his that's particularly developed is a breathtaking facility with violence and a likewise-uncanny natural grace. Which would be ideal if he was a mercenary or sworn sword, or if it was at least backed up by some talent for command...instead it just pushes him ever farther away from political relevance, into the pigeonhole of retainer. Of nobody, the way he sees it. And he has very good eyes. Oh, and he's huge. His House - well, his lineage, at least - are crannogmen. Huge, weirdly nimble, descendant of the frog-eaters...it took less time than a blink to assign him his styling in House Greystark.

They call him the Toad.

(Flail-and-knife fighter; would like to reflavor a parrying dagger as a frog spear, if allowed, as a cosmetic concession. Good at the personal-scale combat four-sided pyramid, notably Agility and Awareness, will leave other things to other people. Not incompetent in a social contest but definitely always a support role at best. Have a lot of things to flesh him out with, the above is just a sketch to give y'all some context.)

I like the concept and I'm looking to see more of the Toad! One clarification, if I may - so do the House know/suspect your character is a bastard or it's all in the dark and no one knows? (I guess the lady mother might know, although she wouldn't necessarily know if he is, or not, depending on her intimacy with her husband; more suspect he might be.)

Since you describe him as huge, I take it you're going to get Massive anyway, so you can fight with a flail in one hand and a frog spear in the other? Although there's a frog spear already in the rules, I guess I can allow you to use the parrying dagger as a frog spear - as it normally wouldn't allow Off-hand, and thus be useless in two-weapon fighting.

ererruz

Quote from: Crasey on April 24, 2014, 03:23:35 PM
Just to be sure:

I get the impression this means these don't cost destiny points, but do they also not count against the maximum benefits value?

You only get one Fate or Heritage quality (or other, if you can persuade me) for free (they don't cost destiny points) and no, they don't count for the maximum benefits value.

Also, by saying that Greystarks can choose either Blood of the Free Men or Blood of Andals, I meant to say that they descend from both (Free Men through their father, Andals through their mother), not that they get either of those in addition to the Fate or Heritage quality. Sorry for the confusion!

Rajah

Quote from: ererruz on April 24, 2014, 03:29:38 PM
I like the concept and I'm looking to see more of the Toad! One clarification, if I may - so do the House know/suspect your character is a bastard or it's all in the dark and no one knows? (I guess the lady mother might know, although she wouldn't necessarily know if he is, or not, depending on her intimacy with her husband; more suspect he might be.)

Oh, definitely. See the PM I sent you for more context, but yeah, they're pretty sure, and it's pretty physically obvious as well. Given the sorry state of the heir and their situation in general, they have little choice but to sell the lie.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Orange Marmalade

Juggtacular

someinheritthewealth

I fixed her, anything willing to take her twin?

Lockepick

BEHOLD, MY MEDIOCRE PAINT SKILLS!
I added a Chevron to the bottom to make it look a little less... open, as well as making it so the wolf-head didn't just end into nothing. I can change the color of the Chevron, but figured anything else would be kind of out of left field. I could add a second chevron below it if we wanted a sort of double-line thing, but I thought this was simple enough.

I've been playing around with paint, and I'm pretty sure I can add a scroll on the bottom for our motto -- but I might need to blow the crest up large in order to get the words to be legible, depending on how long our motto is. Even the smallest calligraphy tool is pretty big in comparison to our crest.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Lockepick

Here are some examples with the scroll. I can change the color of the scroll and of the text, naturally.

Blank Scroll

Placeholder Saying

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

SydneyDrew20

Question Mark

I gotta say, I like the chevron.   Let's keep it.

Though, if we are going with a grey wolf eclipsed by a swollen bloodmoon, I'd prefer if the moon was centered.  Having the moon be off center when it was a small circle on a colored disk was pretty, because then the small circle was in the wolf's mouth.  Without the circle though, it just looks off when it's, well, off center.

Lockepick

IF we move the wolf, the chevron won't really work. We might be able to switch it to a horizontal line instead though. I think I like the wolf centered, only because I like the 'un-centered' piece to be in one of the upper corners.

Question Mark

Quote from: lockepick on April 27, 2014, 10:34:41 PM
IF we move the wolf, the chevron won't really work. We might be able to switch it to a horizontal line instead though. I think I like the wolf centered, only because I like the 'un-centered' piece to be in one of the upper corners.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the wolf.  The wolf is fine.  It's the bloodmoon background that I think needs to be centered as well.

ererruz

Quote from: lockepick on April 26, 2014, 10:14:12 AM
BEHOLD, MY MEDIOCRE PAINT SKILLS!
I added a Chevron to the bottom to make it look a little less... open, as well as making it so the wolf-head didn't just end into nothing. I can change the color of the Chevron, but figured anything else would be kind of out of left field. I could add a second chevron below it if we wanted a sort of double-line thing, but I thought this was simple enough.

I've been playing around with paint, and I'm pretty sure I can add a scroll on the bottom for our motto -- but I might need to blow the crest up large in order to get the words to be legible, depending on how long our motto is. Even the smallest calligraphy tool is pretty big in comparison to our crest.

Doesn't look bad, but I'm thinking a double chevron might look better.

ererruz

Quote from: Question Mark on April 27, 2014, 10:23:27 PM
I gotta say, I like the chevron.   Let's keep it.

Though, if we are going with a grey wolf eclipsed by a swollen bloodmoon, I'd prefer if the moon was centered.  Having the moon be off center when it was a small circle on a colored disk was pretty, because then the small circle was in the wolf's mouth.  Without the circle though, it just looks off when it's, well, off center.

Second that notion. If I find some free time today, I'll try and see how it looks.

Lockepick

For the double chevron -- did you want one the same width as the current one? Or maybe half-width? I could try each when I get home (in 8 hours) if you're not sure.

ererruz

Quote from: lockepick on April 28, 2014, 07:22:52 AM
For the double chevron -- did you want one the same width as the current one? Or maybe half-width? I could try each when I get home (in 8 hours) if you're not sure.
Half-width sounds like it'd fit better.

ererruz

I'm closing the application process. I'll be waiting for those who have shown interest to send me their character concepts, but apart from them, I'm not accepting any new players. After hearing from them, I'll post the final player rooster of ~6 (as stated in my first post).

Interest check:
Orange Marmalade: character application and sheet both done
lockepick: character application and sheet both done
Question Mark: character application and sheet both done; need updated equipment
Juggtacular: character application and sheet both done
SydneyDrew20: character application done, character sheet to be done (I'm on it)
someinheritthewealth: character application done, character sheet to be done
Rajah: awaiting
Crasey: awaiting
Miroque: character application and sheet both done

Orange Marmalade

Question Mark

Quote from: ererruz on April 28, 2014, 12:19:14 PM
I'm closing the application process. I'll be waiting for those who have shown interest to send me their character concepts, but apart from them, I'm not accepting any new players. After hearing from them, I'll post the final player rooster of ~6 (as stated in my first post).

Interest check:
Orange Marmalade: character application and sheet both done
lockepick: character application and sheet both done
Question Mark: character application and sheet both done; need updated equipment
Juggtacular: character application and sheet both done
SydneyDrew20: character application done, character sheet to be done (I'm on it)
someinheritthewealth: character application done, character sheet to be done
Rajah: awaiting
Crasey: awaiting
Miroque: character application and sheet both done

*stares intently at Rajah and Crasey*

someinheritthewealth

Question Ere can I still maybe see about getting someone the other twin?

ererruz

The recruitment is closed now, so no.

I still haven't heard from Rajah, unfortunately. I'm giving him a day or two, and then I'll choose among the characters I've got so far.