Nalerius Rising: The City of Nightmares [LBGTQA Friendly, Supernatural Modern]

Started by Black Howling, May 31, 2015, 01:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Howling

OOC Threads                              IC Threads:                              TBD:                              TBD
OOC Chatterbox
Game Information & Approved Characters
Recruitment Thread
---
---
---
                              The Loop
Low Town
Out Skirts
Ancient Histories
---
                              ---
---
---
---
---
                              ---
---
---
---
---

The City of Evil, it rests beyond the veil. The pleasures and protection beckoning to the creatures of darkness as a world where they remain free from the depredations of light. It's held as utopia by the stories, bandied as the bastion of all who hold wickedness in their heart. Yet is it the freedom that all seek, or will it's politics provide nothing but perdition for it's inhabitants? This is Nalerius, the City Risen from the ashes of a fallen time. This is The City of Nightmares....

Nalerius Q&A

What is this game about? Nalerius is a freeform group game focusing on fantasies about the darkest creatures our imagination can conjure. What it would be like for a city full of these creatures, their lives and their politics.

What's the Story's Focus? While a Sandbox in nature, this game will focus on certain story arcs throughout the city. These story arcs will be largely optional and players are more then encouraged to create their own.

Who's gonna GM it!? That'd be me, Black Howling. I'll also be helped by my two very talented and lovely assistants, GnothiSeauton and Lady Lunarius.

Who can join? Anyone willing to contribute to the game, and play by it's rules.

What Kind of Creature can I make? A more appropriate question would be, what kind can't you make? That'd be anything that borders the levels of godly might. We will be limiting positions such as Arch-Demons and the like to individuals who've proven themselves capable of maintaining activity. Just remember, the creature in question should fit the mood of the city. After all, a goodly Templar stated in the stories may not have a good time and certainly wouldn't be allowed unless plot oriented. See character creation for more detail.

Is there Canon Mythos? Aside from what's been listed in the setting detail, not really. I'm leaving the forces of godly divinity up to question, no one really knows if they exist. Not even the creatures of light or dark. The only other set down mythos we have is to do with Arch Demons, that being that the original seven are based on the seven deadly sins. Pride, Lust, Greed etc. These are the original, though not necessarily more powerful. See recruitment thread for more details on which of these are open, if any.

Is there Magic!? There are supernatural powers, but nothing like the fabled sorcery of D&D or other works of fantasy. Any magic allowed will be far more focused, limited and implemented in the realm of a creature's powers. See the first character sheet for an example.

What Category are we playing in? The Extreme Section. This is to allow our players full freedom with their actions. This game will also include scenes of torture, albeit nonsexual, just by nature. Any and all posts will be tagged with a content warning so that players are forewarned, and can skip reading it if they desire.

Are we limited to just playing within the city? For the most part, yes. The Mortal Realm will be open for play during some events, but it will not always be an option. This is to localize the scale and more easily implement interaction.

This game has a political focus? Yes, though the politics of a fictional, supernatural city. Keep in mind that this is not the PROC forums, and political or religious debates have no place here.

Is PvP allowed? By it's nature, the game lends itself toward at-least political in fighting. True duels or the like could come with consequences, namely a breach of the third mandate. But Yes it's allowed, provided it's worked out OOC, causes no drama and doesn't slow things down. We don't use a system, so be warned of that. I do have permission to display some great guidelines created by Ebb that help with this situation.
PvP Words
Just as a general suggestion for doing fights in a systemless game like this one, I think that it's important to keep in mind that you can have goals for your character that are different than just "win the fight". So if you're working out with your partner how the fight's going to go down, it's worth looking for ways where both writers get something out of the experience, even if in-game there can only be one real "winner". Some examples:

- A beats B, but going into it everybody thought A was a huge favorite to win, and B ended up doing surprisingly well.
- A beats B, but A had to resort to cheating, or to some generally frowned-upon maneuver. Maybe only B knows (and can use the information later), or maybe it's evident to the crowd.
- A beats B, but it's because B took a dive due to some previous underhanded deal.
- A beats B, but B ends up hurt so viciously that they earn the attention or sympathy of some other character they've been trying to make a connection with.
- A beats B, but B wounds A severely enough that A's at a huge disadvantage in their next fight against C. And maybe that was C's plan all along.
- A beats B, but B learns some trick or quirk about A's fighting style that will give them a secret advantage the next time the two of them fight. Or B could sell that information to someone else...
- A beats B, but A and B were secretly in collusion to give a great show in order to build up A's reputation.

You get the idea. Point being that there are ways to make the fight more interesting if you look at scenarios more complex than "A beats B". Ideally you end up with an arrangement where both writers have fun with it, and it serves as a springboard for both of their ongoing stories.

Sexy time and Naughty Bits? Sexual scenes will not be limited, though they will require the appropriate content warnings. It should also be noted that sex is not the focus of this story, though I'm sure it will happen.

The Game Rules

• Real life comes first!  Don't feel stressed if you need to get a post done and you have stuff going on offline.  Take care of yourself first.  The game will always be around.
  • Be civil!  Don't bring drama to the game.  If you and another person do not get along, try to avoid them.  I'm not going to deny someone just because someone has an issue with another person.  If, however, an issue arises and you can not be civil about it, I will ask you to leave.
  • If there is a dispute between two writers in the story involving their characters and story lines, where both can't come to an agreement, the three GMs will act as impartial judges and try and settle the dispute.
  • Content warning! Try to use correct tagging/warnings in your header.  I don't mind if you make fun/jokes in the warning section.  I do it myself more often than not.  But if it involves any elicit sexual activity, or anything such as bondage, non-con, or extreme situations, please try to make a note of it.
  • No killing of PC characters without prior approval from the other writer involved.  If it is agreed to, that's fine.  Just no one going around randomly killing characters without the approval of their creators.
  • If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, please try to let me know.  I can't try to keep track of everyone's Absences threads
  • If you're no longer interested, please let me know.  I would rather know, than not know and have to plan around your character's silence, or help others in scenes.  I'm pretty easy going and know that interest can come and go.  I'd just like to be given a heads up rather than just disappearing.
  • Face Claims are strongly encouraged.  If you're having trouble identifying your model, try a Google Reverse Image Search, or come to me for help.  As someone who has gone through a dispute regarding models in a group, face claims make it easier for less conflict and helps eliminate the chances of having random look-a-likes.
  • Posting Expectations. I'm not gonna beat your brow about it, but posting once a week is expected. RL always comes first as already listed, but please make the attempt.

Black Howling

How to Make a Monster

Easy Click Code

[center][font=andale mono][size=14pt][b]~ ~ ~  Character Name Played by Your Name ~ ~ ~[/b][/size][/font][/center]

[float=right][img height=300 padding=10http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/CowGoil08/gif.gif[/img][/float]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Alias / Nickname:[/b]
[b]Face Claim:[/b]  Model Used
[b]Age:[/b]  The age of your character. 
[b]Sexuality:[/b]  Your character's sexuality.
[b]Racial Class[/b]
[b]Caste:[/b]This is different from your occupation see Caste Systems as reference

[b]Physical Description:[/b]  3 to 5 Sentences describing your character. Can be longer, please list any unusual traits, birthmarks, tattoos or scars here as well.

[b]Personality:[/b]  Brief summary of who your character is.

[b]Occupation:[/b]  (All major positions that are listed must be PM'd to GM's before submission so that we can discuss them privately with you.)

[b]History within Nalerius:[/b]  Please provide a few paragraphs about your character's history. 
[b]Weapons:[/b]  What sort of weapons does your character carry on them? Do they have magical Powers? If so please list them.

[b]Magical Abilities/Powers[/b] What Magics does your Character control, what rituals are involved etc...

[b]On's and Off's:[/b]  If the on's and off's of your character are different than your preferences, please mention it here.  Otherwise, a link to your on's and off's will do just fine.

~ ~ ~  Character Name Played by Your Name ~ ~ ~

Character Name:
Alias / Nickname:
Face Claim:  Model Used
Sexuality:  Your character's sexuality.
Racial class:What kinda Creature are you?
Caste: This is different from your occupation see Caste Systems as reference

Physical Description:  3 to 5 Sentences describing your character. Can be longer, please list any unusual traits, birthmarks, tattoos or scars here as well.

Personality:  Brief summary of who your character is.

Occupation:  (All major positions that are listed must be PM'd to GM's before submission so that we can discuss them privately with you.)

History within Nalerius:  Please provide a few paragraphs about your character's history.

Weapons:  What sort of weapons does your character carry on them?

Magical Abilities/Powers What Magics does your Character control, what rituals are involved etc...

On's and Off's:  If the on's and off's of your character are different than your preferences, please mention it here.  Otherwise, a link to your on's and off's will do just fine.

Popular Mythos that have been claimed
Arch Demon of Greed: Claimed by GnothiSeauton
Arch Demon of Pride: Claimed by Black Howling
Arch Demon of Envy: Claimed by Lady Lunarius
Arch Demon of Sloth: Claimed by PrestaDGtation
Arch Demon of Lust: Claimed by ladyelizabeth

Popular Mythos not yet claimed....

Arch Demon of Wrath: Heavily screened Prime. Will be picky since this is a delicate and popular sin Possibly found.
Arch Demon of Gluttony:

Black Howling

Face Claims

Player Name                              Face Claim:                              Player Name:                              Face Claim:
Black Howling
Black Howling
Lady Lunarius
Lady Lunarius
Gnothi Seauton
Gnothi Seauton
Warlock
Lady Lunarius
Haloriel
---
---
                              Luke Evans
Noah Mills
Emma Mae
Cara Delevingne
Natalie Dormer
Christy Mack
StarFuckd
Oded Fehr
Christina Hendricks
---
---
                              PrestaDGtation
LadyElizabeth
LadyElizabeth
bubby
Eternal Blade
Xanatos
Lockepick
Sirian Eve
Xanatos
Black Howling
---
                              Kato
Katrina Kaif
Christiana Elysion
Eva Green
Dominic Strange
Gina Carano
Micheal Santa Rosa
Charles Micheal Davis
Elena Satine
Eiza Gonzales
---

GnothiSeauton

If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Black Howling

Sirian Eve

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

Lady Lunarius

LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Black Howling

PrestaDGTation

*Walks in non-nonchalantly.*

*Looks around at everything.*

*Does this thing.*

*Raises hand from face-plant on the floor*

..One ticket, please.. kind sir..!
"I see. Hell is populated entirely by Theater Majors." - Majabya, while watching Hazbin Hotel.

Sirian Eve

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Sirian Eve on May 31, 2015, 06:36:06 PM
I was thinking. Could I possibly play the mayor?

Heya Sirian :)

The Mayor position has already been claimed and tabbed as a GM Role.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Sirian Eve

Oh okay didn't see that, lol.

Hmmm..

What about a detective or some sort of rule keeper?

Lockepick

Just to share what I've talked about with Black Howling: I'm going for a Bee-Themed Demon based around selling drugs and some mild 'body horror'. Going for either Alpha or Beta (haven't decided yet), hoping to deal with a few of the Primes -- and will be sending out some PMs about that once I get more situated.

My face claim is some random dude that I couldn't track down his name, so I don't think it'll be an issue...
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Sirian Eve on May 31, 2015, 07:31:12 PM

Hmmm..

You're absolutely right:  it isn't listed, and I apologize for that on behalf of myself, Black Howling, and Luna.  The Mayor Role has been discussed privately for some time now, before the launch of recruitment, and was deemed to be a GM Role.

A detective or rule keeper could be interesting.

Seeking New Stories

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on May 31, 2015, 08:35:59 PM
You're absolutely right:  it isn't listed, and I apologize for that on behalf of myself, Black Howling, and Luna.  The Mayor Role has been discussed privately for some time now, before the launch of recruitment, and was deemed to be a GM Role.

I am currently working on Abraxus who is akin to a General for Melfic. He will need enforcers and those capable of keeping the "peace". So if you'd like to discuss something with me we can do that. ^+^
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Black Howling

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on May 31, 2015, 08:35:59 PM

It's listed in the world building thread, though the position is titled Governor and Avarice's name is next to it. We also have Gaurdian and Hound for the detective types, which are open.

Lockepick

General World Building Questions:
1) What sort of time line are we dealing with? I can't help but notice every NPC listed has an Age of "Bigger than numbers." I wasn't sure what sort of scale was 'old' and what was 'average,' you know?
2) The world building guide talked about Magic -- but where is technology in general?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Black Howling

Quote from: lockepick on May 31, 2015, 09:24:58 PM
General World Building Questions:
1) What sort of time line are we dealing with? I can't help but notice every NPC listed has an Age of "Bigger than numbers." I wasn't sure what sort of scale was 'old' and what was 'average,' you know?
2) The world building guide talked about Magic -- but where is technology in general?

Age to me isn't a measure of power. I don't believe much in listing down numbers larger then 2,000 since that's pretty much the roman empire era. Anything too much past that gets irrelevant. In general, I pin elders within supernatural settings like this to actually begin around 1,000. This might seem a little out there, but when dealing with so many demons, it's to be expected. Just don't list down over 10,000 years, because that gets into the murky area. Anything over 2k I'd prefer listed as unknown.

The technology is in modern area. As this is a reflection of the human world, technology has expanded the same way here. Take note that older creatures typically don't like using it, but there are always exceptions and lackeys to do that for them.

PrestaDGTation

Quote from: lockepick on May 31, 2015, 07:51:28 PM
Just to share what I've talked about with Black Howling: I'm going for a Bee-Themed Demon based around selling drugs and some mild 'body horror'. Going for either Alpha or Beta (haven't decided yet), hoping to deal with a few of the Primes -- and will be sending out some PMs about that once I get more situated.

Carey Schlafrig, the Primeval Sin of Sloth, feels her eyes flutter as she lies upon her godless bed.

"...well they.. sound like they'll.. fit riiiiight in.."
"I see. Hell is populated entirely by Theater Majors." - Majabya, while watching Hazbin Hotel.

Rel Mayer

Black Howling

Black Howling

Quote from: Sirian Eve on May 31, 2015, 07:31:12 PM

Hmmm..

To elaborate on this since my last post was short due to stuff going on in the house. Guardian as described in the world building thread acts as sort of like a sheriff. The City really only has three laws, which leaves it up to the guardian what else to enforce and when to pick their battles. This person would have been heavily screened for their ability to handle this situation and as such It'll likely come with a barrage of questions and the like from me to ensure the writer who applies for it can handle the position. They also work directly under the cities high protector, who's sheet is still in the works.

As for the Hounds, they are like your normal detective types and peace keepers. They work closely with the Guardian, who can be NPC'd if needed, and ensure that his wants are being upheld. These are obviously not nearly as heavily screened, because they work under someone else who's supposed to keep them able to perform their job. Most of the time, the entire things ends up more then a little corrupt since they'd have to choose their battles on when and where to enforce the laws or try to keep others in check.

Hope that sheds a little more light on the subject. Also, a link to the world building thread is right above the Q/A should anyone have missed it. Many basic questions can be answered there and it should give a good idea of how things work within the city proper.

Sirian Eve

Wonderful!  :D

I'm interested in the guardian role then. I already have a character type in mind for him. So just let me know what you need from me.

Lynnie

Black Howling

Quote from: Sirian Eve on June 01, 2015, 04:50:56 AM
Wonderful!  :D

I'm interested in the guardian role then. I already have a character type in mind for him. So just let me know what you need from me.

PM will be sent your way very shortly. I'll get the question storm moving then. ;D
Quote from: Lynnie on June 01, 2015, 07:56:11 AM
Incoming pm Black >.>;
Alright, hun! Let me know if you need plottage to get started. :D