Firefox Bookmarks

Started by Haibane, January 15, 2011, 10:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

I know this makes me sound like n00b of the year but where does Firefox store your bookmarks?

I recently got my PC fixed but lost all my old bookmarks - however I have started a new set on the laptop I've been using and want to move these over to my repaired PC... only I can't seem to find them!

Thanks!

Lilias

Bookmarks > Organise bookmarks > Import and backup.

Export your bookmarks as an HTML file, then transfer it to your repaired computer and repeat the steps, picking 'import' this time. It should work.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Haibane

Thanks... and that has got me thinking... My old PC has a copy of the files that were on the corrupted HDD it had before and its all readable... Firefox is there in Program Files (I'm using XP Home) and My Documents re there... though when the PC crashed I didn't (obviously) export the bookmarks from that PC. Is there any way to find the Firefox bookmarks if they were not exported as html?

jouzinka

You can copy the FireFox directory from both the Program Files and Documents and Settings (I think there it is under Roaming or so, you'll have to look). That should restore your FireFox completely, but it will erase the current setting, naturally.

Also, there's a program called MozBackup that can backup your whole FireFox. Not just bookmarks, but also themes, plugins, history, cookies and such. It's free. http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

Absolutely fantastic! I did that and I have all my zillions of old bookmarks back! Thanks so much!

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

And.... the old Mozilla install had a virus in it! LOL. Removing and reinstalling Mozilla fresh again... what fun!

Oreo

Quote from: jouzinka on January 15, 2011, 11:22:58 AM
You can copy the FireFox directory from both the Program Files and Documents and Settings (I think there it is under Roaming or so, you'll have to look). That should restore your FireFox completely, but it will erase the current setting, naturally.

Also, there's a program called MozBackup that can backup your whole FireFox. Not just bookmarks, but also themes, plugins, history, cookies and such. It's free. http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ ;)
Jouzinka, this might be worth noting in the Resources for a Health Computer thread. I think Veks has been updating it with useful programs.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Haibane

My next question is, now that I have 2 sets of bookmarks on 2 PCs... is there a wat to merge 2 lots of bookmarks into 1?

Zeitgeist

Not certain if I can help you with your current problem.

In the future you may want to consider using Xmarks, a free service that keeps your bookmarks, and synchronizes changes you make. Also you can install Xmarks on another computer and have access to your bookmarks wherever you want them. Pretty cool service.

http://www.xmarks.com

Haibane

Oreo

I just had to pop back in here and thank Lilias. That worked perfectly for my new PC. I couldn't remember how to get the bookmarks, but everything is back in place. :D It worked like a charm.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin