News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Bravely Default.

Started by SinXAzgard21, February 07, 2014, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

So, for those who have it, how are you liking it?

Please do not post spoilers, do not even hide them.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Revelation

I am a few hours into it and loving it. If you liked oldschool RPG's with world maps, class systems, airship travel, etc - you're in for a real treat. This feels like a love letter to FF 4/5/6 with some new, modern stylings and gameplay elements worked in.

SinXAzgard21

I just picked up the Knight class and I've had to switch the game to hard and decrease encounters as I'm sweeping everything with no effort.

Revelation

I've been playing hard since the start, and quite a few normal, random encounters are kicking my ass really. I haven't tinkered with encounter rates.

SinXAzgard21

A note to all, do all the sub quests.

Revelation

The first optional job quest is really making me grind my teeth and consider turning off hard mode, or perhaps I am just underlevelled for it.

SinXAzgard21

I'm about to do the first sub quest at the oasis.

What level are you?

Florence

I played the demo and absolutely loved it. I haven't gotten the full game, but I plan to grab it ASAP.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on February 07, 2014, 09:37:08 PM
So, for those who have it, how are you liking it?

Please do not post spoilers, do not even hide them.
Love it!  The Demo was a taste.

I'm not too far, but damn if the story isn't darker than expected.  In a good way.  It takes the player seriously, instead of the FF13 crap we got.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Revelation

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on February 08, 2014, 02:15:08 AM
I'm about to do the first sub quest at the oasis.

What level are you?

I believe i'm at level 11-12 for the most part. And the boss was just trouncing my rear. Thinking its one of those things where you need to come back a bit stronger is all.

Oniya

Big fan of FF4-5-6.  What is this Bravely Default, and what system does it require?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revelation

Bravely Default is a JRPG made by Silicone Studio and published by square enix. The gameplay is turn based, and very FF traditional. You have attack, items, magic, abilities, etc - and like FF5, you have job classes you can get and level in as the story progresses. The plot so far is very 'Save the world by saving the 4 crystals' so far, and is basically FF in everything but name.

The game features a 'Brave and default' system, where you can 'brave' which is basically having someone take up to 4 turns at once. Or they can 'default' which is basically defend, but you also get extra turns for brave. If you brave with no extra turns saved, you basically are inactive for that many turns. So if you brave 4 times with no extra turns built up, that character is inactive for the next 4 turns. Enemies can also brave and default, which adds a further depth to the combat.

Its available for the 3DS.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 08, 2014, 12:15:05 PM
Love it!  The Demo was a taste.

I'm not too far, but damn if the story isn't darker than expected.  In a good way.  It takes the player seriously, instead of the FF13 crap we got.

I happen to enjoy FF13.

Quote from: Changingsaint on February 08, 2014, 12:23:04 PM
I believe i'm at level 11-12 for the most part. And the boss was just trouncing my rear. Thinking its one of those things where you need to come back a bit stronger is all.

6.3k health for each boss, brave up, heal, use specials and focus on the spell sword first.

Revelation

Quote from: Oniya on February 08, 2014, 01:18:35 PM
Ah - leaves me out, then.  :'(

If you like (J)RPG's i'd definitely suggest getting a 3DS if you have the money. Its a great little system.

Quote6.3k health for each boss, brave up, heal, use specials and focus on the spell sword first.

Yeah, I know. Problem is that I feel constantly strapped for dosh in the game with hardmode, so I'm finding myself running out of phoenix downs through the fight. Plus, having the spellsword suddenly brave and immediately one shot the person I just resurrected was a pain in the ass. As was the thief dude suddenly healing the spellsword 3 times in a row for 500 HP each time. Seriously, fuck that.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Changingsaint on February 08, 2014, 01:32:16 PM
If you like (J)RPG's i'd definitely suggest getting a 3DS if you have the money. Its a great little system.

Yeah, I know. Problem is that I feel constantly strapped for dosh in the game with hardmode, so I'm finding myself running out of phoenix downs through the fight. Plus, having the spellsword suddenly brave and immediately one shot the person I just resurrected was a pain in the ass. As was the thief dude suddenly healing the spellsword 3 times in a row for 500 HP each time. Seriously, fuck that.

I just got merchant which you get after thief.  I had a summon friend with 9999, merchant is now mine.

SinXAzgard21

Just hit level 30, have all classes up to Ranger...  So much damage.

Early game, get to job level 9 and switch if you've not done so.  To get to 10 you need 3.5k job exp.  Also, 10 battles of getting a victory bonus will bump the bonus up 20% and after another 10 you'll get and extra 50% to the bonus.

Chris Brady

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on February 08, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
I happen to enjoy FF13.
Not saying you can or can't, but the issue with FF13 is that it's not much of an JRPG.  It's exceedingly linear, has a highly confusing convoluted story, and worse, is really nothing but a vehicle for the designer of Lightning's character to prance her about as the 'star' of the show.  Everything in that series is designed (even the parts where she's not in it) to showcase her, anything past that is incidental.

Bravely Default is a throwback, storywise to the darker days of the late 80's early 90's, where the story was clearly detailed and defined, and still has that hard edge of 'this is some effed up stuff' the heroes have to deal with.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

The OP has asked that no spoilers be posted.

MzHyde

...That would be why I spoiler tagged it.

Oniya

MzHyde

Right then. God forbid I should want to discuss a game in a topic dedicated to the game. Have fun.

SinXAzgard21

I just finished the water chapter two.  I can honestly say that Ange's is really starting to bug me.

Florence

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 09, 2014, 12:27:55 PM
Not saying you can or can't, but the issue with FF13 is that it's not much of an JRPG.  It's exceedingly linear, has a highly confusing convoluted story, and worse, is really nothing but a vehicle for the designer of Lightning's character to prance her about as the 'star' of the show.  Everything in that series is designed (even the parts where she's not in it) to showcase her, anything past that is incidental.

Bravely Default is a throwback, storywise to the darker days of the late 80's early 90's, where the story was clearly detailed and defined, and still has that hard edge of 'this is some effed up stuff' the heroes have to deal with.

I know the topic here is not XIII, but did you actually play the original? The "ZOMG LIGHTNING IS SOOOOO SPECIAL" crap didn't start until XIII-2, which... I hated. XIII, I actually really enjoyed. I felt like it gave each of the characters their own chance to shine, and Lightning frankly wasn't treated as all that special. Sazh and Snow were my favorite characters, actually. Sazh was just such a relateable, human character. I feel like too often, Final Fantasy characters have really existential, melodramatic problems which can be hard to relate to. Sazh was just a guy wanting to save his son. As for Snow, I've always had a soft spot for the kind of character who puts up this big heroic act to try and inspire those around them.

XIII-2 is where it just started getting dumb, and revolving all around Lighting, because clearly a developer loved the character way more than most of the players. Also, the outfits they put Serah and Lightning in... ugh... Basically I just try to enjoy XIII, while pretending XIII-2 and LR don't exist.

Anyway, topic at hand: So far, is everyone's consensus that Bravely Default is worth the buy?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on February 10, 2014, 04:30:41 PM
I know the topic here is not XIII, but did you actually play the original? The "ZOMG LIGHTNING IS SOOOOO SPECIAL" crap didn't start until XIII-2, which... I hated. XIII, I actually really enjoyed. I felt like it gave each of the characters their own chance to shine, and Lightning frankly wasn't treated as all that special. Sazh and Snow were my favorite characters, actually. Sazh was just such a relateable, human character. I feel like too often, Final Fantasy characters have really existential, melodramatic problems which can be hard to relate to. Sazh was just a guy wanting to save his son. As for Snow, I've always had a soft spot for the kind of character who puts up this big heroic act to try and inspire those around them.

XIII-2 is where it just started getting dumb, and revolving all around Lighting, because clearly a developer loved the character way more than most of the players. Also, the outfits they put Serah and Lightning in... ugh... Basically I just try to enjoy XIII, while pretending XIII-2 and LR don't exist.

Anyway, topic at hand: So far, is everyone's consensus that Bravely Default is worth the buy?

I feel that giving the demo a shot is better than just dropping the 40 bucks on it outright.  The demo has its own "story" so no spoilers, you get about 6 hours out of it.  You get to try some good classes, get to level 20 and experience the brave and default system.  From my experiences with it, I'm around level 40 and past the second crystal.  I am already starting to hate one of the characters and I've been playing on hard the entire time and have mowed over most all bosses and monsters.  Though I automatically play to max out damage, so that may be an issue.  The story isn't happy go lucky, which is so nice to see in a JRPG... Like the story is rather dark from the get go.   Tons of classes, you unlock the meat of them through sub quests But those are optional.  I may have to run a game with just the classes you get from the story line.

The game has faults, but I grew up playing JRPGs and I play FFIII (the real 3, DS remake) like it is made of crack and that game is brutal to players.