Oriental Fantasy RPG (System based, looking for players)

Started by godfang, May 05, 2014, 07:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

godfang

I have been wanting to DM a one shot game set in an Oriental Fantasy setting, but first i want to see which system people are interested in using.

Legend of Five Rings (4th edition)
Obviously tailor made for an Oriental Fantasy setting, but due to the mechanic, i think if i DO dm a Legend of Five Ring game, i'd use Rokugan as a setting. Perhaps a court intrigue game. I am actually quite eager to do a L5R game because i think it's nice to have something other than Pathfinder on these boards

Pathfinder

The most popular system in E right now it seems, Pathfinder can easily be used for an Oriental style game (with just some refluffing of the classes). It's slightly overdone here but hey, there's a reason for that. For this, i will use an Original Setting. It would be more action based than the Legend of Five Ring one as well, perhaps a full blown adventure through the land.

Fate: Core

The most versatile system, you can use it for ANY kind of game, but the battle system leaves alot to be desired. I would have a game that focuses more on story and intrigue if we use this one, and i will most likely use an original setting as well.

So, which systems do you guys want to play and why? Once i figured out which system to use, i'll put up a story

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I would be most interested in an Lo5R or Pathfinder-based game as you have described them here, particularly a court intrigue game, as I have seen few of those which actually got past character generation, and I really, really could use a game right now which rewarded subtlety.

So yeah...Subtlety! Yes. Please. Intrigue. Lots of dark-lantern work and the pressures of social, familial, clan and court obligations all constraining how much one can be seen to be actually taking a hand in things. Layers within layers and finding out after weeks that your carefully crafted cunning plan is in fact exactly what the person you thought you were working against had hoped to manipulate you into.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

godfang

I do think there will be place for people playing Bushis in the Intrigue L5R game too, but combat would be brief and not as common as in regular games. Would you prefer everyone is on the same side, or if everyone has their own agendas?

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: godfang on May 05, 2014, 07:49:50 PM
I do think there will be place for people playing Bushis in the Intrigue L5R game too, but combat would be brief and not as common as in regular games. Would you prefer everyone is on the same side, or if everyone has their own agendas?

If I had the option, I'd prefer a situation where everyone had their own agendas but in many cases were forced to work together for other goals. It creates a much more interesting tension (in my opinion) when there are situations where propriety or loyalty to a higher power demand that everyone truly work together...Even blood enemies.

Even if everyone were on one side and in one clan, that doesn't necessarily means scheming for position, vengeance, wealth, or recognition can't be going on, right?

It just means they have to be extra-subtle about it.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

godfang

AndyZ

I've been wanting to learn Fate Core.  I've been playing Dresden and have most of the system down, though.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

Legend of the Five Rings is amazing.  :) 

Pathfinder is fun too. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ShadowFox89

My problem is that work's been kicking my ass lately, and now I have MORE stuff on top of that that I need to be doing.... little time for any gaming :/
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

L5R is always popular, but getting someone to run it can be tricky enough.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

It certainly has a reputation on Elliquiy as being near impossible to run.

HairyHeretic

I've run it both on the boards and on our voice server. Like any system game on the boards though, it has a tendancy to bog down when the dice come out.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

There's ways to mitigate that.  Unfortunately the best one I know is for the GM to have contact with all the players via a text chat program, which they use to help get rolls resolved. 

Another good thing is to have the GM handle certain non-vital rolls, like initiative. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

godfang

I've run it both on the boards and on our voice server. Like any system game on the boards though, it has a tendancy to bog down when the dice come out.

But this is the same for any system, no? It seems like L5R is pretty popular, will make a thread soon