News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Wizardry? Eye of the Beholder? Icewind Dale?

Started by Zoophilian, April 20, 2010, 07:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoophilian

Hiya all my topic ish a lil weird but, Where have all the good ol' Old school rpgs gone? Well thats why iam here ^^ To see if anyone knows of one or two games alone that rpg genre, Ive played all the ones off the top of my head, The Baldurs gate Saga, Icewind Dale 2, Eye of the beholder and a few Wizardry series, I adore the old Style and looking for something along those lines, Anyone have any leads ^^? Thanks in Advanced!

Katt

Ryven

I love those games though I've only played the Baldur's gate saga and the Icewind Dale saga.  I wish they would create more like them because I loved playing them.  I remember in BG2, I killed the silver dragon in the underdark with a lucky flesh to stone spell.  It was good times.

Zoophilian

Oh wow, But the Silver Dragon was a Good guy! Er... Girl >_> Well it kept the Drow in check atleast that counts for something. ANd common o.o how awesome was Minsc >_>

DarklingAlice

You are going to have to be a little more specific about what exactly you like about them. If you are just looking for first person, high difficulty, dungeon crawlers (a la Wizardry and EOTB), the Etrian Odyssey series on the DS might suit you (as might SMT: Strange Journey by extension although it does not have a fantasy setting). If it was about game mechanics that might be a little harder to find as the games you mention are mostly based on older versions of D&D that WOTC no longer supports.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Brandon

You could try Neverwinter nights 2, it came out a few years back and I still play it on occasion. The most recent old school style I can think of is Dragon Age: Origins which is a really good RPG but it also has some newer elements to it. Thats all the recent ones I can think off of the top of my head
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ryven

Quote from: Zoophilian on April 20, 2010, 07:29:32 PM
Oh wow, But the Silver Dragon was a Good guy! Er... Girl >_> Well it kept the Drow in check atleast that counts for something. ANd common o.o how awesome was Minsc >_>

That doesn't mean anything. ::)  Besides, I wanted to get the armor made of human flesh which required silver dragon's blood, and I would just like to say that the mage slayer is an awesome class.  Illithids cowered before me, and it was easy to take down the dragon when her spells did nothing to my main character.

Zoophilian

I would like to remain on the PC, Ive tried those DS games, And SMT (Shin megami tensei) Is a longstanding favorite. I adore that series in all its incarnations. But I dont know, FPS dungeon crawlers are always fun but I dont mean like Oblivion as this is a fps rpg. Iam seeking more of an old school game along the lines of Eye of the Beholder, Or Icewind Dale, NOt so much as making your own party but a good adventure game with a crapload of story. Mount and Blade almost gave me this but its to open falls into the Oblivion Trap.

Zoophilian

Illithids, Hated them >> Always killed my Minsc and Mazzy before me (Wild mage, Half Elven) could take them out! And if they managed to Brain control/Charm ether of the two we were boned ^^; Soo many quick saves and reloads! But that was half the fun i guess when you could finally Dance over the fallen Squid head's. Sadly i never really got any of the custom armors or gear before going into Throne of Bhaal, Mostly lived off what ever i scavenged from dungeons.

Serephino

Personally, I liked Fable once I got used to the controls. 

Zoophilian

>> Already did Fable and Fable 2 Good games tho ^^

Samael

Dragon Age is truly your best bet.
I quite enjoyed the old games myself, but they don't make em like that anymore (mostly).

Icewind dale would be fun. I loved it simply for having well done battles, and always being kept on toes with new enemies and situations. The stories weren't all that great, but it gave me a nice fix.

I hear "The Witcher" is supposed to be a great game, but haven't played it myself yet.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Zoophilian

I have Dragon age, Got up to the Dwarven kingdom >> Was kinda stuck there, Then I updated to Win 7 and lost my saves >< And I cant get motivated to do all of it again, I did finish off ME 1 and 2 (Mass Effect). Still havent gotten my MEcha combat fix nor my old school rpg fix >_> But oh wells!

Geeklet

How can anyone talk about good old school RPGs without mentioning Planescape: Torment? It is a bit more story heavy than most other RPGs, though, so if you prefer more action, it might not be for you.

Zoophilian

I actualy prefer Baldurs gate or Fallout 1 & 2 over Planescape, It did have some very awesome moments Its just a shame it doesn't like Win 7, But more and more games iam learning do not like  Win 7 >_>

Brandon

If you need a mecha fix Armored Core is always a great series. Im not sure when the last one came out but I have the first 3 and a couple others sitting on my games shelf. Theyre still great and fun games
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Geeklet

As far as the Win 7 issue.. you tried running stuff as admin, and in various compatibility modes? So far, thats solved all my issues with Win 7 and older games.

Samael

Quote from: Geeklet on April 20, 2010, 08:47:07 PM
How can anyone talk about good old school RPGs without mentioning Planescape: Torment? It is a bit more story heavy than most other RPGs, though, so if you prefer more action, it might not be for you.

The Sensorium Experience. :/
The game really had incredible writing, but the fighting in it was terrible, somehow. Thankfully you could really sidestep 90% of battles.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Zoophilian

Great games the Armored Core series but I would prefer more akin to Mech Warrior, Star siege or Ring of Red (This oldie is for ps2) Seems we dont get any more Mech games for pc >_>

Zoophilian

Well I suppose i should of been more direct with the Win 7 issue, Cant run Dos games at all (Altho its been epxxplained to me that Windows hasnt been able to use Dos effectively since Win XP) But some games are buggy in newer windows, Side note, WIth Baldurs gate, icewind ect, With Windowed mode O.o anyway to keep the UI Scaled up? When in windowed mode no matter what setting you use everything is still ah.. Zoomed Out?

Brandon

True. Makes me wish Paizo had a branch that designed games based around their adventure paths. Legacy of Fire, Second Darkness, or the newest one Kingmaker would make some excellent video games

As another note, you can get a DOS emulator which allows you to run older games. I have one to run Nocturnal Illusion (my favorite hentai game)

Zoophilian

Got one you recamend? I cant get behind most of those older hentai games, Illusion spoiled me with thier Sexy beach, AI Girl ^.^; and so on

Brandon

I use dosbox and would recomend it. Its a little tricky to use at first but once you get used to it its easy.

http://www.dosbox.com/

Of 3D hentai games, I like Artificial girl 3 more. Sexy beach seemed to scripted to me *shrugs*

Zoophilian

Scripted is what we want ^^ Admit it we all want that ultimate game, Be it mecha, Fighting, Rpg with hentai not cheap hentai scenes but nicely done hentai elements while still having a good quality game >> Its a pipe dream here in teh states but one day ^.^ And tried Dosbox >_> I swear Ive programmed VCRs with less trouble!

Brandon

Really? I never had a problem programming a VCR  :P

I can see where youre coming from though. A nice script with good hentai scenes that I could control, with sexes and looks that I could choose would be awesome but its probably a pipe dream