Scion interest check

Started by HairyHeretic, January 10, 2015, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

It's a perenial favourite of mine, and I'd enjoy getting a game up and running.

By preference I'd like to play, if there were any willing GMs, but if there's a group interested and no GM, I'll step up for that.

Anyone else want to shake the pillars of heaven?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kckolbe

I would definitely be interested in playing in Scion.  Huge Greek Mythology fan, pretty keen on Norse, too.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Jaded

I'd be interested as a player, not as much as a GM. 

HairyHeretic

I don't mind GMing, though I'd prefer to play :)

Any particular deities or pantheons in mind? Character concepts?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

I always wanted to play Scion for a long-term game with you.  I'm curious if this might pan out... I still like the one-eyed gunslinger, daughter of Artemis I had for that game a few years ago, but I don't know if it would fit a game, group, etc.  I'd like to participate in a small-group game, but am a little iffy on running it just yet.

kckolbe

I normally offer to at least help GM, but I've had very limited experience with Scion.  As far as pantheons, love the Greek, like Norse, and would be open to Loa and Atzlanti if doing a southern US setting, as that is their domain.  What kind of tone are you looking for?  That would help on thinking of char concepts.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Jaded

I'm always a bit of a sucker for the Morrigan, as for actual concept I'm not sure. 

HairyHeretic

Well, any Scion game I've ever played in, the characters inevitably go all around the world, rather than having it set in a single spot. I tend to adapt my games to the players and characters in it, so everyone gets a chance to shine at some point.

I know the v2 Scions rules they're talking about playing from pre visitation, which could be a fun way to start, but I'm not sure how you'd build a pure mortal character and then power them up once they receive their visitation.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kckolbe

I gotcha.  In that case, thinking of being the rather boring, disappointing child of Dionysus.

Intro Thread

AndyZ

Totally keeping an eye on this.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

*pounce*  I'd love to play! 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

VonDoom

Why do all the interesting games pop up around the same time?  ;D

I love Scion and I've had an idea for a son of ... well, HairyHeretic's avatar, I suppose ... for quite awhile.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

HairyHeretic

Sounds like we have enough interest to be getting on with.

Is there anything in particular people want from the game? Or don't want?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

I'd prefer limited PvP... definitely want the characters to have some reason to get along, with maybe a little rivalry along the way.  I also don't want us to be godawful powerful

AndyZ

Also would prefer minimal PVP.  I'd like to start a little beyond normal starting stats, but would play even if it's just starting stats.

Tempted to see if I could bring a Michelle Harrison into this, but might well just come up with one of my various ideas.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

la dame en noir

Oh wow, I had never heard of Scion before until now - google is my best friend. Its pretty cool.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

kckolbe

I want to spend a little time on the nature of being a scion in the modern age...interviews and such.  How common are they?  How do folks feel about individual scions?  Given that they seem outside the normal laws/system, is there a separate political system for them?  What I love about Scion is that it has the otherwise same theme of powerful semi supernatural characters that White Wolf is known for without being inherently goth like most of their games.  Still, in all their other games, politics factor in heavily, and it actually makes more sense to involve them here.  Greek gods were extremely competitive, and would seem to want their children to expand their influence. 

I love a good mythical fight, but also want a bit of the mundane explored. 

As for power level, I would like to get rid of the Legend -1 rule.  I think it takes away a lot of options at char creation since nothing can be higher than 1.  It also seems like some gods barely have access to any purviews, while some basically have them all.

Intro Thread

Jaded

I'd prefer to start as a Scion and not a mortal, but that is just me.

I also am not a big fan of the Legend rules, though I lean towards just giving everyone Legend 3 and not allowing it to be raised with points, instead control raising it in-game based on the plot.

EndofDivine

I'm really tempted by this, depending on what sort of plot and tone you end up going with. Wish I could offer you more input than a "Sounds cool" but I don't really know much about how Scion works or what kind of things a Scion character is supposed to get up to. About all I can manage is making a character and even that's still kinda iffy. :P

Rajah

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 10, 2015, 07:50:34 PMAny particular deities or pantheons in mind? Character concepts?

How would you feel about a Scion of Shub-Niggurath?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

HairyHeretic

Okay, to address the points raised thus far ...

PvP .. unlikely to be an issue. While characters may occasionally argue or disagree, I've only ever once seen actual PvP in a game. One of the characters had tried something dumb, ended up killing a few dozen mortals, and expressed no regret for his actions. The other 3 who were around took offense at this, the two who might have been able to talk the situation down were elsewhere, and things blew up. In general, I don't expect PvP in a Scion game.

For starting level, I'm okay with boosting that up, in conjunction with GM assigned Legend. For starting I would give Legend 3, but keep the Legend -1 rating on stuff. This should allow for more variety in characters and abilities. On that same topic, I'm okay with the concept of unofficial / fan made Pantheons and knacks, but they would require GM approval. This includes the fan made alternates for the likes of Arete and Jotunblut. Scion of Shub-Niggurath? Show me the Pantheon rules and then we'll see. I'm inclined to say no though, as I'd have my doubts about how well that would fit.

Scions in the world .. I generally favour something along the lines of The Secret War going on in the shadows of the world. Everyone knows that monsters aren't real. That shaky cam footage up on Youtube of the so called Giant? Viral ad for a movie coming out next year. The people who said they saw a dragon. It was a gas leak from the sewers, and their heads got all screwed up.

If you think about it, if the TRUE nature of the world were revealed, how would people respond? Fear, panic, social upheaval. The sort of things that the Titanspawn and their cultists would be happy to take advantage of.

Of course, if the PCs decide they want to 'go public', don't forget that there are lots nastier things out there than they are ... and they just painted big bullseyes on themselves :)

For those not too familiar with the game, you can be pretty much anything you want to. Decide what you want your character to have been before their visitation. Street thug. Cop. Archelogist. Rock star. Professional athlete. There aren't any real limits. Your divine parent will grant you some favoured abilities, but you don't have to grow into a clone of them. I can help kick ideas around, and once you have more of an idea what you want, I can help with the mechanics.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Those are exactly the decisions I was hoping for, Hairy. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kckolbe

Thanks for the answers.  My only confusion is that I thought you regained Legend points through people celebrating you.  Basically, aren't scions kind of required to be public, or was that likely just a house rule from the only time I played it?

Intro Thread

AndyZ

HH, I'm toying with the idea of being a Scion of the Cherokee Rabbit.  Rabbits can have children the same way the Monkey King can, and I'd probably use most of Br'er Rabbit but maybe swap out Industry for Epic Perception.

I have quite a few ideas, but the type of exceptionally manipulative character that would inspire may or may not fit well with the type of game you like to run.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: kckolbe on January 12, 2015, 06:24:41 PM
Thanks for the answers.  My only confusion is that I thought you regained Legend points through people celebrating you.  Basically, aren't scions kind of required to be public, or was that likely just a house rule from the only time I played it?

Could have been a house rule. Legend is an indication of how well known a character and their deeds are, but regaining legend points comes from stunting or playing to your virtues. There's nothing to say that you can't be public, and doing so would likely boost your legend faster than playing more covertly ... but it's easier to kill a (relatively) weak scion before they become a Demigod, or God in their own right.

Quote from: AndyZ on January 12, 2015, 06:36:15 PM
HH, I'm toying with the idea of being a Scion of the Cherokee Rabbit.  Rabbits can have children the same way the Monkey King can, and I'd probably use most of Br'er Rabbit but maybe swap out Industry for Epic Perception.

I have quite a few ideas, but the type of exceptionally manipulative character that would inspire may or may not fit well with the type of game you like to run.

While I'm not a fan of the Yankee pantheon as a whole, Rabbit / Coyote is one that would work.

There's also a Native American Pantheon here

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/scion/1377-fan-written-scion-material

under 'The Manitou'. You might want to have a look at that and see if it works for what you want to do. There's definitely nothing wrong with having a trickster in the group.

Cattle die, kinsmen die