What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Nilsson

http://www.statesman.com/news/crime--law/texas-judge-interrupts-jury-says-god-told-him-defendant-not-guilty/ZRdGbT7xPu7lc6kMMPeWKL/

QuoteA state district judge in Comal County said God told him to intervene in jury deliberations to sway jurors to return a not guilty verdict in the trial of a Buda woman accused of trafficking a teen girl for sex.

Judge Jack Robison apologized to jurors for the interruption, but defended his actions by telling them “when God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it,” according to the Herald-Zeitung in New Braunfels.

I.. am at a loss for words.

Trieste

How the fuck did that not end up in a mistrial? *boggles*

Regina Minx

Quote from: Trieste on January 20, 2018, 09:06:53 AM

<blink> Because it's the judge's job to declare a mistrial.

Arianna

Quote from: Trieste on January 20, 2018, 09:06:53 AM

That was my reaction too, then I read this
QuoteThe act of intervening in a jury’s deliberations is not addressed in the state’s list of judicial canons, which serves as an ethical code for judges.

Regina Minx

Quote from: Regina Minx on January 20, 2018, 09:10:58 AM

Followup: Although it appears that the jury disregarded the DL from the judge to God:

QuoteA defense attorney says a Texas judge mentioned God while defending his efforts to convince jurors to acquit a woman accused of trafficking a teenager.

Sylvia Cavazos said Friday she'll seek a retrial over state District Judge Jack Robison interrupting deliberations last week to tell jurors they shouldn't convict her client. Jurors ignored his pleadings and returned a guilty verdict.

Trieste

Quote from: Regina Minx on January 20, 2018, 09:10:58 AM

He recused himself and the new judge STILL didn’t declare a mistrial. Like, how?

Quote from: Arianna de L'ombre on January 20, 2018, 09:12:11 AM
That was my reaction too, then I read this

I mean, yes. Idk. I’d be pissed if I were involved in that trial.

Lustful Bride

Regina Minx

Quote from: Trieste on January 20, 2018, 10:12:30 AM
He recused himself and the new judge STILL didn’t declare a mistrial. Like, how?

I apologize. I completely botched my answer. Let me try again.

The original article said that the judge recused himself before sentencing. If I read that correctly, it seems like that was sometimes after the verdict came in, but before sentencing the convicted defendant.

A mistrial can only occur between the trial open and the return of the verdict. Once the jury verdict came in, it was too late for the trial to be halted.

Lustful Bride

Arianna

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 21, 2018, 05:51:13 PM
Iraqi Court condems German woman to death for her service to IS.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/iraq-condemns-german-woman-to-death-for-belonging-to-is/ar-AAuXBus?li=AA4Zpp&ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

At least 30 dead after Security forces battle terorrists in Kabul's Intercontinent Hotel. Taliban claims responsibility for the attack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/heavy-casualties-after-overnight-battle-at-kabul-hotel/ar-AAuWstX?li=AA4Zpp&ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

I just... this is all so damn sad. First, why the hell do people still side with IS? How brainwashed are they? I simply cannot wrap my head around that. Second, can the Talibans just effin' stop killing people? Is it not enough that they bring terror all around them? Shakes head in disbelief... and is mad because she still can't get used to stuff like this.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Arianna de L'ombre on January 21, 2018, 09:44:58 PM
I just... this is all so damn sad. First, why the hell do people still side with IS? How brainwashed are they? I simply cannot wrap my head around that. Second, can the Talibans just effin' stop killing people? Is it not enough that they bring terror all around them? Shakes head in disbelief... and is mad because she still can't get used to stuff like this.

That's how they operate. Inspiring fear and terror. If they can cause anarchy and destabilise a government then they can step in and take over. They want a power vacuum which suits them and makes others too afraid to oppose them so they might decide to join them instead.

Orval Wintermute

This is why I like the Pope, he said something that was at best insensitive and he then apologized for it. It wasn't a spokesperson or a clarifying press release, no he did it himself.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pope-francis-juan-barros-chile-child-sex-abuse-paedophile-priests-proof-vatican-roman-catholic-a8172366.html

Regina Minx

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on January 22, 2018, 01:10:52 PM
This is why I like the Pope, he said something that was at best insensitive and he then apologized for it. It wasn't a spokesperson or a clarifying press release, no he did it himself.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pope-francis-juan-barros-chile-child-sex-abuse-paedophile-priests-proof-vatican-roman-catholic-a8172366.html

The first part of the headline is fine as far as it goes.

QuotePope Francis apologises

The second part I can't help but feel is more important.

Quotebut continues to defend Chilean bishop accused of covering up child sex abuse

gaggedLouise

Apparently the Senate have patched up a stopgap budget to keep the US state in business (until 8 February) and break the shutdown. Vote later tonight. :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

In Australia three girls jump a Mentally disabled girl and beat her, burned her, forced her to inhale shattered glass.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/18/horrific-video-shows-teen-repeatedly-slamming-disabled-girls-head-table-7239548/

All three have been arrested and charged as adults.

It breaks my heart that more and more we keep seeing things like this pop up, of disabled people being beaten and attacked as a sick joke, people filming themselves attacking them and abusing them for a laugh.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 22, 2018, 04:55:42 PM
In Australia three girls jump a Mentally disabled girl and beat her, burned her, forced her to inhale shattered glass.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/18/horrific-video-shows-teen-repeatedly-slamming-disabled-girls-head-table-7239548/

All three have been arrested and charged as adults.

It breaks my heart that more and more we keep seeing things like this pop up, of disabled people being beaten and attacked as a sick joke, people filming themselves attacking them and abusing them for a laugh.

Whoa, that sounds dismally crazy. Swallowing bits of broken glass is by itself a threat to one's life - with a little bit of bad luck one could either scratch open vital blood vessels or damage the throat, nose and lungs, to begin with. Not to mention the fear she must have felt! :(

I once saw a movie scene where a woman tried to kill herself by slamming a glass of wine into the table and swallowing the shards - it's one of the most disturbing scenes of a suicide attempt I've ever seen.

Orval Wintermute

Quote from: Regina Minx on January 22, 2018, 03:23:39 PM
The second part I can't help but feel is more important.
The most salient part there is 'accused of'. I don't know if you've ever seen Spotlight, it's about how the Boston Globe uncovered abuse by priests and how it was covered up by the diocese, the important part is that there was a trail of breadcrumbs that showed the involvement of the churches senior management. All Pope Francis has said is that type of evidence does not exist (or at least hasn't been presented to him) and until that evidence emerges he won't condemn the bishop; innocent until proven guilty instead of trial by mob, seems perfectly reasonable to me. 

Regina Minx

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on January 23, 2018, 07:12:13 AM
The most salient part there is 'accused of'...All Pope Francis has said is that type of evidence does not exist (or at least hasn't been presented to him) and until that evidence emerges he won't condemn the bishop; innocent until proven guilty instead of trial by mob, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That standard of evidence found guilty in a court of law, is an impossible standard in this case for the same reason that the priest whose abuse Barros is accused of covering up will never face justice in a court of law. Because the statute of limitations has run out on his alleged crimes. From the Guardian, "Chilean authorities dropped criminal charges against the priest in 2011 because the statute of limitations had expired."

Also in that same article is the independent evidence of two witnesses, Juan Carlos Cruz and James Hamilton, who testify that Barros was present when they were being abused and did nothing.

There IS evidence of Barros' guilt. The problem is not Francis' unwillingness to pass judgment absent evidence. The problem is Francis' unwillingness to accept the account of four abuse victims AS evidence and to believe Barros over four people who corroborate one another's' testimony that Barros was aware of and complicit in their abuse.

Accusing victims of sexual abuse of lying and slander is a page out of the abuser's handbooks, and Francis can go to hell for playing it.

RedRose

Just read this. Translating: "Jerusalem is Israel's capital, everyone knows it, but the USA shouldn't unilaterally make any decision that belongs to Israelis and Palestinians". My first thought was: are we going to have (another) terror attack as a punishment #sadworld
http://www.20minutes.fr/politique/2207183-20180123-manuel-valls-jerusalem-capitale-israel-personne-va-remettre-cause
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Caeli

I've been following and listening to many of the victim impact statements from the Larry Nassar sentencing / USA Gymnastics sex abuse scandal and have been so impressed by the judge presiding over the case.  What an incredible advocate for all of the young women and girls who have come forward as survivors to tell their stories.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/sports/larry-nassar-rosemarie-aquilina-judge.html
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Blythe

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/emergency-official-missing-oklahoma-rig-explosion-52525050

I've been to this town; it's in my area of the state. My heart goes out to the workers and families.   :-\

gaggedLouise

Quote from: RedRose on January 23, 2018, 10:56:04 AM
Just read this. Translating: "Jerusalem is Israel's capital, everyone knows it, but the USA shouldn't unilaterally make any decision that belongs to Israelis and Palestinians". My first thought was: are we going to have (another) terror attack as a punishment #sadworld
http://www.20minutes.fr/politique/2207183-20180123-manuel-valls-jerusalem-capitale-israel-personne-va-remettre-cause

Unfortunately that's not very unlikely. The embassy move is being seen as a severe provocation by many people around the Near East, and there is no lack of angry hotheads.

Sara Nilsson

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/technology/montana-net-neutrality.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Business+Day&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

QuoteThrough an executive order, Gov. Steve Bullock declared on Monday that any internet service provider with a state government contract cannot block or charge more for faster delivery of websites, two core aspects of net neutrality, to any customer in the state.

Basically Montana said they won't do business with any service provider that block or throttle internet speeds in same way our old net neutrality worked. Good job Montana :)

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HannibalBarca

The Earthsea Trilogy literally changed my outlook on life as a teen.  She was a master craftswoman at her art.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu