R.I.P Twinkies

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 16, 2012, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Mobius on November 17, 2012, 11:32:12 AM
Read somewhere recently that Twinkies are made from some of the same chemicals used in embalming.

There is some food for thought for everyone!

*buzzer*
Snopes'd!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mobius on November 17, 2012, 11:32:12 AM
Read somewhere recently that Twinkies are made from some of the same chemicals used in embalming.

There is some food for thought for everyone!

Awwww...I was hoping that eating enough Twinkies would grant me immortality.

Lux12

I swear it seems like everyone is getting sentimental about this. I've even heard stories about people crying over it all.It's hard to believe these mass produced snack cakes had such intrinsic value to people.

Oniya

I'm not terribly sentimental about the snack cakes themselves, but I remember seeing the comic strips in magazines:  Twinkie the Kid, Captain Cupcake, and Fruit Pie the Magician.  They had commercials with those characters, too, but as a young geek, I saw them as full pages in comic books.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

Quote from: Lux12 on November 17, 2012, 02:15:30 PM
I swear it seems like everyone is getting sentimental about this. I've even heard stories about people crying over it all.It's hard to believe these mass produced snack cakes had such intrinsic value to people.

It's like comfort food. It's something that has been around for a long time and that a lot of people are familiar with.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lux12

Quote from: Michi No Sora on November 17, 2012, 06:54:42 PM
It's like comfort food. It's something that has been around for a long time and that a lot of people are familiar with.

I see.I'm not crying myself, but I will miss donettes and it will be weird waking up in a world without the stuff, unless they make so much off of last minute sales it saves the company.It happens some times.

Moraline

We could try planting our Twinkies in gardens and see if they grow new Twinkie trees?

Lux12

Brilliant idea! Almost as brilliant as my plan to genetically engineer corals that bud milky ways!

Jag

O_O

Just took that screenshot myself.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lux12

My God... It's only been a few days and they're already a collectors item. I almost don't believe it.

Oniya

Somehow, I think they're classed under the 'Grocery' half of that subheading. -__-;

Lux12

Who here thinks someone is going to end up auctioning some of this stuff off on Ebay leading to a massive bidding war?

LunarSage

I just ate my last two Twinkies last night.  They were delicious, but I had no idea they were apparently so valuable.

Incidentally, Dick Clark was periodically injected with Twinkie filling to keep his apparent youth.  *nodnod*

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Moraline

Quote from: LunarSage on November 18, 2012, 04:25:44 PM
I just ate my last two Twinkies last night.  They were delicious, but I had no idea they were apparently so valuable.

Incidentally, Dick Clark was periodically injected with Twinkie filling to keep his apparent youth.  *nodnod*

I have Twinkie filling regularly injected into my lips to keep them full and kissable. True story.

Lux12

Quote from: LunarSage on November 18, 2012, 04:25:44 PM

I can't tell if you're being dead serious about Dick Clark doing that or not.

Oniya

Dick Clark can't ring in the new year. 
Twinkies have expired. 

Well played, Mayans.  Well played.

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 18, 2012, 05:28:59 PM
Dick Clark can't ring in the new year. 
Twinkies have expired. 

Well played, Mayans.  Well played.

"...And in their final days they shall seek snack cakes that are yellow of color and they shall none, for they shall cease to be made. The feathered serpent shall weep for them..."-The Mayan Prophecy of The Yellow Cake Famine

TheWildcat

I propose an angry mob be formed at the headquarters. We shall broker a strike resolution and brand salvation with pitchforks and torches. Please attempt ti refrain from lynchimg.
Rogue said I wasn't allowed to be the Lord of Teleportesis and Smegheaddery, so I'm still trying to find my proper title.

elone

Excerpt from this.http://kstp.com/news/stories/s2839101.shtml] [url]http://kstp.com/news/stories/s2839101.shtml[/url]

Typical, workers are asked for concessions and management gets 80% pay hike.

"Irving, Texas-based Hostess filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January for the second time in less than a decade. Its predecessor company, Interstate Bakeries, sought bankruptcy protection in 2004 and changed its name to Hostess after emerging in 2009.

The company said it was saddled with costs related to its unionized workforce. The company had been contributing $100 million a year in pension costs for workers; the new contract offer would've slashed that to $25 million a year, in addition to wage cuts and a 17 percent reduction in health benefits.

Management missteps were another problem. Hostess came under fire this spring after it was revealed that nearly a dozen executives received pay hikes of up to 80 percent last year even as the company was struggling.

Then last week thousands of members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union went on strike after rejecting the company's latest contract offer. The bakers union represents about 30 percent of the company's workforce."

I had no idea they made so much stuff.

http://tastychomps.com/2012/11/hostess-brands-including-local-merita-bread-to-close-list-of-hostess-products.html

In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Lux12

Moraline

Quote from: Lux12 on November 18, 2012, 11:56:14 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2234822/Mexican-company-eyes-bankrupt-Hostess-Brands-Twinkies-loyalists-snatch-sweet-confections-shelves-frenzy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

In other news, the unfortunately named Bimbo company, a Mexican corporation is thinking about buying them out and producing them.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this disturbing?

I'm picturing my Twinkies being manufactured in Mexican sweatshops and shipped across North America.

Lux12

Quote from: Moraline on November 19, 2012, 09:01:34 AM

I'm picturing my Twinkies being manufactured in Mexican sweatshops and shipped across North America.

I don't know much about Bimbo so I couldn't tell you what their record is in that regard.Though it is a possibility with any large company.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Moraline on November 19, 2012, 09:01:34 AM

It might increase their nutritional value.

Oniya

I used to see ads for Bimbo in Ohio.  They pronounce it 'Beem-bo', so you don't quite get the same WTF? on hearing it.  If Bimbo gets Hostess, how long do you think it'll be before the Hostess target audience (or their parents) start complaining about the name?

Lux12

I knew how to pronounce it, but the way it's spelled  makes me wonder if they shouldn't have changed the name so people don't start complaining about it. When I first saw those commercials up here, I thought I was hallucinating because I couldn't believe that any self respecting company would call themselves that. It wasn't until I found out where they were from that it made any sense.I don't know what Bimbo actually means, but you'd think they would have found out what that means to so many people.