Congratulations to Maine, Washington and Colorado

Started by Tamhansen, November 07, 2012, 02:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Next to my congratulations to Brother Barrack Hussein Obama for getting four more years at 1600, I'd especially like to congratulate the inhabitants of Colorado and Washington for being the first to legalize Marihuanna. If they pass federal scrutiny they'll be the first place in the world with fully legalized weed.

Also congratulations to the states of Maine, and again Washington (Go washington) for legalizing same sex marriage. The first states to do it by popular vote. I also hope Maryland can be added to this list today
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Miss Lilly

Is completely legalising marijuana really something worth congratulating?
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Vekseid

Miss Lilly

Visit Lola's!

Vekseid

An estimated 30% of Mexican drug cartel funding comes solely from US usage of marijuana.

The report in Spanish is here,
http://imco.org.mx/images/pdf/reporte-tecnico-legalizacion-marihuana.pdf

It's actually on Wikipedia as an actual war. Note the death total for 2012 was from early May.

Four years ago, there were rumors about Mexico becoming a failed state. With its economy booming again, that looks to be hopefully less of a concern - but the situation in Mexico is less than pleasant, regardless.

There were even reports of cartels sending military units into the United States. Talk about ballsy.

Miss Lilly

Hm.  Interesting read.

So...legalisation will mean regulation?
Visit Lola's!

Rozel

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Vekseid

I tend to hate sales/transactional taxes, personally, outside of generally small, flat tariffs to promote local stability. I used to support sin taxes more but lately have been a bit ambivalent on them.

But legalizing a drug nearly half the country admits to using is a more sane option than essentially driving the funding of warlords.

LunarSage

I'm not someone who uses pot myself, but I'm very proud of my home state (Washington) right now.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Rozel

If they end up going the regulation route, which lets face it, the tax potential is already set up because of the medical aspect of it already being regulated to an extent. (my mother had a greencard (Wash state) during the last two years of her life fighting cancer.) It just seems to go hand in hand. It's big business, but it has been a hush hush business.. which isn't so hush hush to anyone other than law enforcement and even then that is being liberal in the statement.

I can totally see governments making monies easily off of this. I can comfortably say that I have never really been a supporter of it in a recreational sense, but I also think that what people do with their own lives is their own business. May as well capitalize on it, especially in an economy such as we are faced with. (Speaking from an American in Canada) At this stage, I think governments have to tap into things they have never done so in the past... as their people are drying up and are tapped out financially. Hell.. it can even create jobs if we get creative enough. lol

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Avis habilis

Ya damn right we lead! So come on up to Maine to get hitched, my gay fellow Americans. We'll make you welcome.

Well, actually we'll bitch & moan about out-of-staters clogging up traffic, 'cause we've only got like four roads, but Mount Desert Island is a fine place for a honeymoon.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Water Lilly on November 07, 2012, 03:49:06 AM
Is completely legalising marijuana really something worth congratulating?

They did not the state would make it legal to have it for any reason the Feds won't but its likely true enforcing the law in said states would be pretty much mute for anyone but major trafficking of the drug, a small plant at home is not likely to be an issue. Its simple it would cost a lot to police it for the small impact of what even some Feds call a minor problem.

Oniya

Regulation will also make it more problematic for the stuff with the crazy additives to get in - the same way that regulating alcohol made things like methanol poisoning far more rare.  Seriously, if you can buy your joints legally, why go to the guy that 'dusts' it, unless you're really after the PCP in the first place?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tamhansen

Wot Oniya said.

Marijuana has been regulated in the Netherlands for some forty years now. Independent studies have proven the weed available in our coffeeshops to be much safer, than what is sold in other countries.

Plus next to the taxes that could be made, imagine what a boost this will mean to the US economy. Sales figures for ben and jerry, and little debbie will skyrocket
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

LunarSage

Quote from: Katataban on November 07, 2012, 09:00:40 AM
Plus next to the taxes that could be made, imagine what a boost this will mean to the US economy. Sales figures for ben and jerry, and little debbie will skyrocket

*rimshot*  :P

Avis habilis

Quote from: Katataban on November 07, 2012, 09:00:40 AM

I see a corn chip shortage looming.

On the other hand:

Quote from: John Hickenlooper, Colorado governorFederal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don't break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly.

Moraline

This conversation has taken a turn for pure win.

I'd like some corn chips and a coke please. I've totally got the munchies right now.

Stattick

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2012, 08:44:20 AM
Regulation will also make it more problematic for the stuff with the crazy additives to get in - the same way that regulating alcohol made things like methanol poisoning far more rare.  Seriously, if you can buy your joints legally, why go to the guy that 'dusts' it, unless you're really after the PCP in the first place?

Hey.... PCP cost money. You want PCP in your joint, you're gonna have to pay extra for that. It's like the difference between a hotdog and a chili dog. The chili's extra, and it costs more to get some on your dog.
O/O   A/A

Oniya

But PCP is still illegal, which means that the choice is between 'cheap and legal' and 'possibly more expensive, and illegal'.  One option, you run the risk of getting arrested.  The other option, you have more money left over.

How much were those Cheetos again?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

LunarSage

Chester sure makes Cheetos look like a controlled substance.

Don't get me started on Coco Puffs. 

Freaking addicts.

Oniya

Fruity Pebbles leads to acts of burglary, or theft by deception.  *nods*

LunarSage

Fred was asking for it though.  He should have shared his freaking cereal with his best friend.  Sheesh, it took Santa to guilt him into sharing.  >.<

Don't forget that only criminals eat Cookie Crisp.  *nodnod*

Oniya

desert ashes

Just want to say I'm a very happy Washingtonian right now! 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Avis habilis

Not too happy, hopefully. *points surreptitiously* Emember-ray the EA-Day!