Taliban Justice in America

Started by OldSchoolGamer, August 11, 2009, 07:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

"Boy...we're gonna rape yer ass fer dat yawn boy, jet you wait 'n see..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090811/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_jailed_for_yawning

This is the sort of "justice" that usually emanates from Iran or countries ending in "-stan."

Yet another sign of America's descent to Third World status.  Really, how much longer are we going to go on pretending we're the leader of the free world and chief defenders of Truth and Justice and all that?   ???

Drake Valentine

To be honest, I chuckled when I read the article, I found it amusing yet sad at the same time.

Six months for yawning? That is messed up and too excessive; doesn't pay to attend court sleepy these days.

What's next, they will hold you a year for sneezing in a courtroom?

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oniya

A sneeze really can't be modified, other than squeezing your nose shut and blowing your eyes and eardrums out of your skull.  Yawns are much easier to down-play, in my experience.  You cover your mouth, don't open it as wide, and fercrisesakes, don't tighten your vocal cords up.  That alone can transform a disruptive 'Hooo-auuu-wwww' to little more than a soft sigh.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Oniya on August 11, 2009, 10:33:02 PM
A sneeze really can't be modified, other than squeezing your nose shut and blowing your eyes and eardrums out of your skull.  Yawns are much easier to down-play, in my experience.  You cover your mouth, don't open it as wide, and fercrisesakes, don't tighten your vocal cords up.  That alone can transform a disruptive 'Hooo-auuu-wwww' to little more than a soft sigh.

Well, yeah...agreed he should have stifled the yawn.

Depending on context, I could have seen a warning from the judge, maybe ejection from the courtroom.  If it truly was a blatant gesture of disrespect, maybe one or two nights in the pokey, yes.  Maybe.

But six months?

That truly does seem like something the Taliban would do.  We're going to ruin someone's life and have them sodomized for a yawn?

Bayushi

Doubtful he'd get sodomized.

Six Months? He'll get tossed into the County Jail. He won't go to a prison. They're rather watchful of what goes on in the County Jails.

Oniya

I'm willing to bet that we're not even hearing a tenth of the story here - only the fact that the yawn was the straw that broke the camel's back.   A little further research shows that while this particular judge is rather heavy-handed on contempt charges, people rarely end up serving the entire time.  If this particular guy apologizes for the disruption, he could be out having only served 21 days.  Also, when the man yawned, it was accompanied by a full-extension stretch (arms over the head) and a loud vocalization.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-jailed-for-yawning-10-aug10,0,3679452.story
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Oniya on August 12, 2009, 12:10:22 AM
I'm willing to bet that we're not even hearing a tenth of the story here - only the fact that the yawn was the straw that broke the camel's back.   A little further research shows that while this particular judge is rather heavy-handed on contempt charges, people rarely end up serving the entire time.  If this particular guy apologizes for the disruption, he could be out having only served 21 days.  Also, when the man yawned, it was accompanied by a full-extension stretch (arms over the head) and a loud vocalization.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-jailed-for-yawning-10-aug10,0,3679452.story

Regardless, six months is excessive.

The judge is a public servant, not some feudal lord.

If the man was that big of a problem, ban him from the courtroom.  If he had made noise repeatedly that would be fair.

Callie Del Noire

Well contempt is contempt. Maybe the judge is being a bit heavy handed but in the context of the situation he is 'technically' within his rights. Of course he can be called on it to a degree.  Judiary (sp?) review boards exist for that and with this sort of attention I am sure it will be brought up

Alexander

Another shining example of the wasting of Tax-payer dollars.... throwing a man in jail for yawning.

Asuras

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuyBut six months?

He got released by the judge on Friday after serving 21 days. And the reports seem to suggest that this wasn't just an "oh it's early and i'm tired" yawn which the judge has certainly heard before - this was during the sentencing of his cousin, and it was "loud and boisterous" and presumably intentional and contemptuous.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Asuras on August 15, 2009, 06:17:50 PM
He got released by the judge on Friday after serving 21 days. And the reports seem to suggest that this wasn't just an "oh it's early and i'm tired" yawn which the judge has certainly heard before - this was during the sentencing of his cousin, and it was "loud and boisterous" and presumably intentional and contemptuous.

Good...maybe the community's taxpayers complained.

And if he did yawn in a loud and boisterious manner, I could have understood one or maybe two nights in the pokey, but without some sort of violence or more tangible disruption, 48 hours in stir is about the maximum that could be justified for what essentially was an act of peaceful expression, albeit out of turn.

Asuras

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuyGood...maybe the community's taxpayers complained.

And if he did yawn in a loud and boisterious manner, I could have understood one or maybe two nights in the pokey, but without some sort of violence or more tangible disruption, 48 hours in stir is about the maximum that could be justified for what essentially was an act of peaceful expression, albeit out of turn.

Yeah, well...the community's taxpayers may have to pay damages when the guy comes back with a lawyer whining about the eighth amendment and the Taliban-ization of Americans' rights to protest sentences with loud yawns.

SuperHans

I possibly missed the part where they cut off his tongue. That would be the most Taleban-esque response, as minor theft can get both of your hands cut off.
That's just, like, your opinion, man

O&O

Destiny Ascension

Taliban esque punishment would likely be getting your tongue cut out, or at the worst, decapitated.

Its not excessive. In the courtroom you show the judge, there by association the court, absolute respect. Overdramatic yawns sound to me like a mixture of bordom and lack of remorse for the crimes committed, not to mention contempt of court. I think he got off easy, I'd slap him with 6 months and not accept some petty, half assed apology.

People need to learn respect. One step at a time.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!