WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Yeah. I wish the GW I used to play at had more people like that. I mean, okay, they weren't all bad. Actually, most were perfectly fun and decent people to play with. There were a few, though. This one guy was just a complete rules lawyer. A real pain to play against.

HairyHeretic

We've all met That Guy. Over here, there's one person who used to play 40k (I don't know if they still do), and had such a reputation of being so horrible to play against, no one would willing play them more than once, or if they knew the reputation. Elastic tape measures, his own interpretation of the rules, trying to argue what is clearly stated in the rules, you name it, he was guilty of it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

Yeah ... this guy was pretty much the opposite. He seemed to know all the rules, and how to bend them. Claiming bonuses for a single one of his models being exactly within the range ( and making damn sure he was never anything but EXACTLY in range of ANYTHING ) of a Hive Tyrant or whatever it was, things like that. Well. I don't know if that was exactly what he did, but ... things of that nature. All strictly speaking legal by the rules, all incredibly cheesy and annoying.

HairyHeretic

Yeah, I've met a rules lawyer or two as well. Regardless of the exact nature, I still call them That Guy. The one who wants to win at all costs, who doesn't care about the game, or the fluff, or the concept of actually having fun. No one wants to play them, and sooner or later, their nature comes around and bites them when they find out that no one is willing to give them a game any more.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Yeah, I think some other people actually warned me, so I think his reputation had already caught up with him.

HairyHeretic

I rest my case.

I play 40k because I like the background, and I want to enjoy a game with friends. I'm not looking for a 'win at all costs' hardcore tournament match. I lost interest in those years ago. I have too little free time, and too few chances to play 40k to waste it on playing games I'm not going to enjoy.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

It's the same for me. I've moved now, and I get the feeling the attitude at my new local place is a lot more relaxed.

I've never tried to make my armies optimal, just cool. Case in point, I was often accused of playing a cheesy army when I played Dark Elves. Until I told people my main units were Cold One Knights. Because they're incredibly cool, and often deadly ... but not always.

With my Space Wolves, I've tried to balance effectiveness against my preferred playstyle. I've tried to pick the best options within what I personally think would be cool.

Beorning

So... I was finally able to buy some new paints last week, so I sat down yesterday and painted a new mini:

Somehow, I'm not pleased with the results.  >:( The shade of blue I've chosen doesn't look as good as I expected, the bronze paint looks too much like gold... There are a lot of small flaws in the executions and the shading didn't work (as usual). Overall, another bad mini...

Most importantly, I didn't have too much fun with painting it. I don't know... somehow, the passion was gone this time around. I wonder if I'm not losing faith in this hobby - lately, I've done some calculations and I've realized how much money and time I'd have to invest to collect those two or three armies I would like to have. It's kind of... disheartening...

Maybe I should just stick to RPGs...  :-(

HairyHeretic

You haven't even painted a full squad yet. Stop beating yourself up that you're not at Golden Daemon standard yet :) I have models older than some of my opponents and I still don't think of myself as much of a painter. Relax :)

Wargaming is a long term hobby, and it's not a cheap one. No one is going to deny that. You''ve also picked a starter force there which is, in all honesty, about the least supported and most expensive to build that GW still have.

If you want a cheap starter, go for Marines or Chaos Space Marines. Both are popular, well supported, lots of plastic models, which means a cheaper army to build. The individual points cost per model is also higher, which again cuts down on your cash spend. Go browse eBay and you'll see plenty of people selling off small collections for a relatively small price. Get a HQ model and 2-3 squads of Marines, and there's a 500 point army right there.

A few months later, you can add something else to force, and over time it will grow.

Unless GW remove a model from the codex, you can still use those models in 10 years time. Even if they do remove a specific one, you can always convert it to something still legal, or just say 'counts as'

I have one of these

http://www.terrainosaur.com/figs/khorne/khornecannon6.jpg

That's the old Armourcast Cannon of Khorne. They did GW kits before Forgeworld came on the scene, warmachines and Titans and stuff.

It doesn't exist in the rules any more. If I use it, I just use the Vindicator rules. Then it's perfectly legal again :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winsted

I agree with HH here!  Don't beat yourself up too much about the paint job.  It's distinguishable which is better than what some can say!  Painting skill is like a muscle.  It just needs to be worked before you get better.  I have some pretty pathetic paint jobs of my own, and even my favorite piece I've ever worked on, a Daemon Prince conversion, has a pretty amateur paint job.

I still loved working on it, and there's no law saying you can't touch them up later.  Besides, that's a Sisters model.  They're hard to come by!

Beorning

Okay, okay, maybe I *am* beating myself up too much about my painting quality. Still, I can't help feeling frustrated that I'm trying to paint these minis nicely... and it's not working.

As to other things I've written about: tell me, guys, how long did it take you to collect your armies? Maybe I'm simply trying to be too fast about it...

HairyHeretic

Years.

I've been collecting since I started, call it 25 years ago now. My very first purchase was from a pokey little game shop in an arcade, a pair of RT101 beakie space marines. It was a while before I even realised there were rules to go with them. I thnk I got the rulebook and a box of Marines (IIRC they came 30 to a box back then), and that was me started.

If I were to start building a brand new army now?

Buy the codex. Read it. Work out a few lists. Decide what sort of army I want to build. Get a HQ and a couple of troops, maybe an elites choice. Aim for something I can play at kill team levels, or a 500 point game, something like that. Depending on my free cash, I'd probably build it up to a 2000 point army over the next year or so.

The army is going to last for years. You don't need to build it in weeks.

Chaos is my primary army. I'm currently working on my 4th different Chaos force. Some of those models from 20 years ago are in there. I'll likely still be adding models to it in 5, 10, 20 years time.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winsted

I started closer to a year and a half ago.  I couldn't decide where to start, so my buddy just forced me to read the fluff in the rulebook.  I looked over the model gallery and I liked the look of a Defiler as it reminded me of a Spider Demon from Doom.  Chaos Space Marines became my choice as a result.  My first set was the Dark Vengeance starter box as it was a great value for all the models you get, plus it came with a mini rulebook (I bought a big one later anyway), templates, and a scatter die.  The Dark Angels that came with it are put together, but not primed or painted and have been sitting in a bag ever since.  I hope to use them as trade fodder down the line.  Since then, I got a bit buy-happy.  I shudder to think how many points I have.  I do know I have about 116 unfinished kits, either needing to be painted, primed, or even taken out of the box.  They span different games and different armies.  Like HH said, it's a long-term hobby. 

Oniya

One thing I can tell you as a crafter:  When you make something - whether it's painting a model or knitting a sweater - you know about all those times that something went wrong.  The five complete restarts.  The time when the cat jumped up in your lap and caused an equipment failure.  The place where you ran out of dark blue and had to try to get another color that was close enough because the original one is out of stock.

The person across the table doesn't know these things.  The person who has never actually made their own 'thing' certainly doesn't.  Invariably, they see your finished project and don't even notice the 'glaring imperfections' that you have magnified in your own mind.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

My Imperial Guard army is all kitted out with Tau shoulderpads and decals, since they're a Gue'Vesa regiment, but I think the model I put the most work into is my Giant for Orcs+Goblins in Fantasy. I used copious quantities of greenstuff to make it a Giantess (insert joke about plastic surgery here).

Hemingway

I've been collecting and painting for, what, 15 years? I've tried a lot of different things over the years. Dark Elves were the first army I really got into - Fantasy, obviously.

The first 40K army I really got into was Tau. I also have several smaller forces of 40K - just 750 points armies, because I wanted to try them out, wanted to paint something different. I have one of those of Dark Eldar, one of Grey Knights.

... Well, Grey Knights 'army' is a misnomer at 750 points. It's around 6 models, I think; Kaldor Draigo ( HQ choice who turns Paladins into Troop choices ), two squads of 2 and 3 paladins ( I think ), and a Dreadknight. I think that's about the smallest playable army you'll ever see. If you were to just field 750 points worth of Imperial Guardsmen, you'd probably wreck those Grey Knights every time. Still. 750 points, 6 models.

When I moved out of the country, I didn't take my stuff with me. I wanted to collect, and I wanted to play. So I considered what I'd tried out, and what I hadn't. I wanted something melee-oriented ( all my previous armies have been heavy on solid ranged choices; Dark Elves, Empire, Tau ), and went with Space Wolves. I haven't bought much yet, but I started out as Hairy suggested: I looked at my choices. I decided how I wanted to play. I bought a Codex, and a box of Troops - no HQ just yet, as I'm still undecided on what I want filling that slot.

Beorning

750 points army with just six models? Wow. I just made some calculations and to build a 500 points army of Sisters, I'd need two six-model squads, a canonness, a five-model squad of Seraphim and a penitent engine...

Hmm. I need to make a list of what to buy when... The annoying thing, I don't know whether I'll have my current job in a month or two, so it makes planning much harder.

Oh, and Oniya: thanks for advice about the faults only the crafter can see. I'd love to agree with that, although I really feel that the faults on my models are showing. I've shown some pictures of my minis to my sister and she thinks they are scary  :-)

HairyHeretic

eBay and Bartertown are your friends :)

With a little luck, you can get yourself a bargain and score a chunk of what you need cheaply.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Hemingway

Quote from: Beorning on November 12, 2014, 05:04:54 PM
750 points army with just six models? Wow. I just made some calculations and to build a 500 points army of Sisters, I'd need two six-model squads, a canonness, a five-model squad of Seraphim and a penitent engine...

I'd like to stress again that that army is most likely completely unplayable. Grey Knights are impressive ( Terminators with Force Weapons as Troops is pretty scary ), but it comes at a serious cost.

Winsted

Quote from: Hemingway on November 12, 2014, 09:15:13 PM
I'd like to stress again that that army is most likely completely unplayable. Grey Knights are impressive ( Terminators with Force Weapons as Troops is pretty scary ), but it comes at a serious cost.

Not to mention their most recent codex has reduced their power to be more in line with other codexes as well.

Hemingway

Quote from: Winsted on November 12, 2014, 09:43:41 PM
Not to mention their most recent codex has reduced their power to be more in line with other codexes as well.

A codex that became less powerful? I thought that was impossible!

Beorning

So, I'm making the list for my Sororitas army and I was wondering: in army organization, there are these slots: Fast Attack, Heavy Support etc. I was wondering: are there any special rules that govern units assigned to these spots? I'm asking, as in the Sisters army, a squad with storm bolters and a Rhino counts as Fast Attack... while a squad with heavy bolters and a Rhino counts as Heavy Support. Are there any rules that say, for example, that Fast Attack units move faster, or something like that?

TheGlyphstone

It's the other way round. A unit that moves faster will be considered Fast Attack in most cases, rather than a Fast Attack unit moving faster. The org-chart is there/was there to limit those 'special' options.

Beorning

I see. Thanks!

The results of me doing a shopping list for the army: considering that I have some spare money, a basic Sororitas army (a canonness, two troops squads, one squad of jump infantry and a penitent engine) is actually something I could buy even now. But that would mean that I wouldn't be buying Dark Heresy month, as I hoped to do... Hmmm!

Decisions, decisions...

Kevben Battleheart

Quote from: Beorning on November 13, 2014, 04:38:48 PM
I see. Thanks!

The results of me doing a shopping list for the army: considering that I have some spare money, a basic Sororitas army (a canonness, two troops squads, one squad of jump infantry and a penitent engine) is actually something I could buy even now. But that would mean that I wouldn't be buying Dark Heresy month, as I hoped to do... Hmmm!

Decisions, decisions...
lol that's all you mate. I'm not gonna tell ya which to get but instead say get what you think you will most enjoy first. I myself just got the 2nd edition for Dark Heresy, and while I might not get to join or make a game for some time, I'm enjoying the time spent working on campaign ideas should I ever be a gm. Will they ever be used? Probably not, but the time spent working on them isn't a waste as I am having fun doing it, just like I am with painting my Vlka Fenryka.

Now if only I could figure out how I got the shade of blue-grey I got on this one model of mine I'd be able to move forward with the painting lol.
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.