Dead Ringer: Vigilantes (Freeform Superhero Original Setting) [Recruiting]

Started by Totoro, September 06, 2019, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

Quote from: mainsnoires on September 09, 2019, 12:49:55 PM
Hello all,
I am fairly impressed with the world building thread you have written Sun, and wanted to let it out. It’s really interesting ! Congrats.
I’d plant a flag of interest to participate if there is still room, and will work on a CSheet ASAP.

Heya,

Thank you so much. It's very much a work in progress but I'm sort of filling in blanks as-needed rather than trying to answer every question ever.

There's definitely still room so feel free to go ahead.

Amarlo

With my character Dara all squared up and accepted, I am definitely looking to make connections and plot! I'm open to just about any kind of connection, both good or bad (I love ic drama  ::) ), and don't mind my character coming off as the bad guy in the scenario. I'm willing to talk to anyone that's already accepted or in the process of making a character. ^^ I know that having connections can sometimes make it easier to get a character out of your head! I also don't mind just generally chit chatting and brainstorming. x3 It's all gravy for me!

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Aethyrium

Johannes Hubel as my faceclaim. And I should have my sheet to you here sometime this morningish. :)

Totoro

Quote from: Aethyrium on September 13, 2019, 08:58:51 AM
Johannes Hubel as my faceclaim. And I should have my sheet to you here sometime this morningish. :)

Reserved! Can't wait to see the CS.

Aethyrium

Totoro

Quote from: Aethyrium on September 13, 2019, 10:43:29 AM
-Kicks sheet into inbox- Tada.

On it!

As a note this game's IC has opened but recruitment remains ongoing, and it is a sandbox environment so joining in should be relatively easy.

Aethyrium

Altering my face claim to Arthur Kulkov.

Also encouraging more people to come play. Purty please.

Totoro

Quote from: Aethyrium on September 14, 2019, 10:05:16 PM
Altering my face claim to Arthur Kulkov.

Also encouraging more people to come play. Purty please.

Noted. Where are we on your CS? I’m scared a PM may never have arrived one way or the other.

TuesdayNight

Hi there, are you still accepting new players?

I'm new to the site, but I saw this and I'm really interested in joining.

Amarlo

Quote from: TuesdayNight on October 03, 2019, 04:17:03 PM

I am pretty sure this game is permanently open for recruitment. :) The more the merrier!

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Totoro

Quote from: TuesdayNight on October 03, 2019, 04:17:03 PM

Still open, yes. Ongoing recruitment. Feel free to pitch me any ideas here or via PM!

Totoro

Dead Ringer remains active and recruiting. With a few vigilantes just having got connected it's an ideal time to tie in a new connection to the group - fighting thugs, villains and corrupt heroes on the streets of New York.

Feel free to post here or PM me if interested.

We are a little high on parahumans but they are supposed to be most numerous. Ideally looking for some more unusual sources but I will take more of the two sources we have if the concepts are cool.

Midnite

It has been an age and more than an age since I have travelled back to the realm of Elliquiy. It seems that I must now step out from the shadows of both space and time to become a Dead Ringer.

That is, if you will have me. I am always on the look out for deep superhero games, and it looks like I have found one. The character concept I would like to use is one of a power dampener/power emulator with a few quirks to keep him at the right level. If this sounds viable, I will get to work on the character sheet.

If not, I am open to suggestions for a different type of character. Also, and face claim suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Totoro

Quote from: Midnite on November 03, 2019, 05:15:46 PM
It has been an age and more than an age since I have travelled back to the realm of Elliquiy. It seems that I must now step out from the shadows of both space and time to become a Dead Ringer.

That is, if you will have me. I am always on the look out for deep superhero games, and it looks like I have found one. The character concept I would like to use is one of a power dampener/power emulator with a few quirks to keep him at the right level. If this sounds viable, I will get to work on the character sheet.

If not, I am open to suggestions for a different type of character. Also, and face claim suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Well, welcome back.

Power dampening is a concept I'm generally going to draw away from in a game like this. It tends to either be too weak or too strong. Power emulation just leads to too much versatility and the general sense that 'why am I here when he can do what I can do and more' etc.

If you are extremely set on it there are ways to make it work but I would heavily suggest entertaining another more sorta street-level concept that's quite functional just under it's own power.

Midnite

Thank you. In that case, I will choose a more appropriate power set. :)

Totoro

Quote from: Midnite on November 03, 2019, 06:18:14 PM
Thank you. In that case, I will choose a more appropriate power set. :)

No problem.

I think it'll be more fun for you in the long run, honestly. Power dampening/enhancing is great in solo writing but tends to run into issues in group games.

Midnite

Ok. I think I will go with "low level" telekinesis. Bit of a scrapper, bit of a trickster, bit of an aspirant. That should work nicely.

Totoro

Quote from: Midnite on November 03, 2019, 06:49:13 PM
Ok. I think I will go with "low level" telekinesis. Bit of a scrapper, bit of a trickster, bit of an aspirant. That should work nicely.

Works for me! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Midnite

Here is what I have so far. I know it is missing a lot of meat, but wanted to offer this up for condideration/critique. Probably have the rest ready to PM for approval tomorrow

Basic Information
Name: Jay Arthur Sandstone III
Alias/Nicknames: Dr. X
Source: Parahuman
Citizenship: United States Citizen
Place of Birth: Alexandria, VA
Home: Marble Hill
Area of Operation: Marble Hill, Northern Manhattan, Southern Bronx

Physical Description
Sexuality: Hetero
Ethnicity: Scots-Irish American
Height: 6'
Weight: 150 lbs.
Eye Colour: Green
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
General Appearance: Jay is just a touch over average height with an average weight for his height. This does give him an athletic appearance, but one that is a bit on the lean side. He has begun doing exercises to try and move into a more toned physique, but the process has been a bit slow.

As a mover, Jay normally wears a company T-shirt and jeans. Off work, it is more tees, jeans, sweatpants, and shorts. He takes every opportunity to wear casual, comfortable clothes. Coming from an upper middle class background, however, Jay knows how to dress up appropriately for each occasion and has the type of clothing needed in his closet.

Like his grandfather, the original Dr. X, Jay wears the black mask and fedora. The exception is that instead of the double-breasted suit and trenchcoat, Jay wears a black bodysuit instead. As Dr. X, Jay tries to keep his movements confident and sleek.

Personality & History

Personality: Jay is like a slow burning fire. All warm and comfy and gently paced, but becoming a white hot flame of intensity if fueled in the wrong way. His default demeanor is mellow and thoughtful with a leaning toward good natured respect and friendliness. He considers himself smart, funny, and somewhat charming without being arrogant. Mostly a pragmatist, but venturing into the cynical easily enough.

Jay wants to live up to the Dr. X name, so he likes to come off as the tough, ninja-like scrapper type, but he has found it very easy to use his telekinesis in something of a trickster role. He has also learned to banter with his opponents when needed, to both distract them and annoy them into a mistake.

History: What's their life been like. They should be a fairly new vigilante at most. They do not have to be one at all, their initial transfer from civilian to vigilante can be played out in-game. Minimum of three paragraphs.

Superpowers

(Superpower Name Here): This section can be used to detail any innate abilities, learned skills, equipment or magic that surpasses the possibility of ordinary human skill, physicality or equipment. Characters should not have more than five superhuman abilities. Abilities do not need strict definitions but need to be 'reasonable'. For example, superman's alien biology would go here, or Iron Man's suit. The Punisher's military equipment and training would not. In a character like that's case their ironclad willpower, tolerance for pain or aptitude for warfare may be so extreme as to count as superhuman. Barred powers: Chronokinesis, Invincibility, Immortality, Anything including the word 'Omni', Death reversal.I

Telekinesis is the power, just need to write it up correctly.

Skills and Equipment

Skills:

(Skill Name Here): A skill is a talent attainable by an ordinary person. What is your character good at? Most particularly as a vigilante. A character shouldn't have more than five skills listed here.

Equipment:

(Equipment Name Here): Any ordinary equipment that is vital to this person and/or their heroics, but that is not beyond the realm of ordinary human technology. For example, a handgun, laptop used for hacking or a bulletproof vest would fit here. Mjolnir would not.

Flaws and Weaknesses

Flaws:

(It's A Pride Thing): Jay isn't stubborn, he just likes to do things his own way. Jay isn't hot tempered, he is just intense when he does get mad. Wound his pride though, and he can seem both stubborn and hot tempered, and a lot of other bad things.

(Outspoken): When you are good at shooting your mouth off, sometimes it is hard to stop. Just have to get in that last word. Jay's mouth seems to be hardwired to his brain at times.

Weaknesses:

(Can't Be Everywhere At Once): So far, Jay has only learned to use his TK as a shield, not a sheath. That means that while he may protect a portion of his body or other target, he can't envelope the whole thing at once.

(Mind Muscle Meltdown): Jay has learned that his TK works like a muscle. Not enough use, and it gets weak and lazy. Too much use, and it just totally gives out. At present, the max is moving 500 lbs. a few feet. Less weight is easier to move farther and for longer duration, but continued strain wears Jay down quicker.

Extras
Faceclaim is Samuel Robertson

Totoro

Could you PM that to me please?

I only look over CS's via PM to avoid clutter etc.

Midnite

I can, but it is incomplete. You want it or wait for the full app?

Totoro

Quote from: Midnite on November 04, 2019, 08:05:19 PM
I can, but it is incomplete. You want it or wait for the full app?

It's fine to PM it incomplete and I can give initial thoughts. Not a problem to wanna check you're going in a good direction.

Amarlo

We have a sexy harem group of petite Amazonians in need of more male meat shields! Or female ones. It really doesn't matter. The more, the merrier. ;D

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Nowherewoman

My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

TheHangedOne

I'm interested, but there's a lot here. Initial ideas are a shapeshifter with some abilities linked to big cats; possibly magically gifted, if that hasn't been used up too much (Still reading over things).

*Hugs on Amarlo.*
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!