News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Michi Needs a New Laptop!!! Help!!!!

Started by Jag, February 03, 2011, 02:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Okay...so with our tax return, the hubby has said we can get me a new laptop. Why? Because I need one that I can do my transcription work on, that doesn't lag up after ten minutes of use, doesn't over heat from being on for more than ten minutes, and has a good, WORKING wireless card.

While appearances don't mean too much to me, I would like it to look okay. This Dell that I'm using is horribly ugly.

Anyway, some things I'm looking/not looking for in a laptop are this:

100+GB Harddrive
13+ inch screen
Windows Vista or Windows 7 (I would prefer Vista, but I know that's getting harder to find these days)
Under $600.00 (not including shipping)
Not ACER!!!!!!
Something good for typing work.

Yeah, I know that's not much...but I'm looking for people's recommendations. I'm very used to Dells. I worked for Dell, I fixed Dells, I've owned Dells (and two piece of crap Acers)...but I'm willing to try other brands. So please...techie people, help!

~Michi
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Cecilia

We a gateway like this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+3GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1616075.p?id=1218273045570&skuId=1616075

from Best Buy last year.

Downside--Not really all that portable, it's too big to go in her backpack.

The upside?  It's BIG!  And it looks like a regular sort of desktop with the big screen.

She uses it for her homework and some very general surfing of the net.  The middle pad mouse thing works pretty well, though we just use a cabled mouse and it's pretty much working as a 'moveable' desk top sort of computer.  It's rarely been on for more than three hours at a time, though, so I can't tell you how the over-heating issue is.  I know my last Dell was a problem that way.

Jag

Size isn't an issue. I don't plan on taking it anywhere except from upstairs to downstairs. ^^ Thank you, Cecilia, I'll check that one out. I've never had a Gateway, but I usually hear decent things about them.

Oniya

Just as a note, Windows 7 has improved on Vista, and seems very stable and easy to use on top of that.  As an XP-er, I have to look for a few things, but Mr. Oniya actually used Vista for a while and has very few issues with Win7 at all.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

I don't have a problem with Windows 7, but my foot pedal program for transcriptions does. :P I can make it work on 7, but it's not easy and a Windows 7 compatible program will mean having to buy a whole new pedal (which they can get pricey). The company is promising to make an update or whatever to make the one I have work with 7 properly. I keep praying that they do so soon.

Oniya

Ah - well that's an excellent reason not to upgrade.  My cross-stitch program doesn't work with Win7, so I'll be clinging to XP until I find a substitute.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

With the way the market is with Windows right now, seems like I'll have little choice in getting Windows 7...*sighs* A 5-6 hour work on it to make the damn program work...it better be worth it. :P

Oh...the Dell Inspiron Duo looks so cute! But I know it would be crappy as a work system. :P

Caeli

I have never used an IdeaPad myself, but I purchased a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad after my Dell died pretty spectacularly a few years back, and I've never had a problem with it. It recently had some overheating problems, but I got it fixed by a friend who applied some gloop to its insides, and its been running smoothly (even with games and such) ever since. It's very sturdy and reliable, and the one time I had to call customer service because I reformatted without having an OS disk, they were very accommodating and helpful about sending me replacement reformatting discs.

I recommend getting refurbished than new, if you don't care about it having been purchased/returned before. You can often get a better deal than if you purchase new straight from whichever seller.

I checked out the Lenovo Outlet store, and they have some pretty good options for their Ideapad Y series that aren't very pricey:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/ideapad.html?operating_system=162&price=3%2C200&screen_size=132
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oreo

You might look HERE. I know the Asus is rated third, but I have never had a problem with them. My Dell was a nightmare of glitches. Another thought might be to weigh the price between a win 7 upgrade from vista and the price of the foot pedal as many of the new laptops come with win 7.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Black Orchid

Quote from: Oreo on February 03, 2011, 04:37:20 PM
You might look HERE. I know the Asus is rated third, but I have never had a problem with them. My Dell was a nightmare of glitches. Another thought might be to weigh the price between a win 7 upgrade from vista and the price of the foot pedal as many of the new laptops come with win 7.

I +1 this, my mother has an Asus (I'm actually on it right now after my Dell went apeshit on me -_-). She's had it for three years now, and it's still in mint condition. It's even high quality (I put the Sims 3 on it, and though I don't like my games on laptop, this laptop seemed to take to it quite well; my sister's pink Dell Inspiron crashed horribly whenever I installed and played it [though I recommend that one too, it's vista; only problem is the color card isn't as awesome as the Asus--I'm a gamer chick ;D])
Such a lovely garden of Orchids; just be wary of the black ones...
O&O of a Flower

When to Bloom and When to Wilt.

Wistful Dream

Whatever you do don't go with an HP. I had nothing but issues with mine and it was the same for anyone I knew who had one, it overheated, fried the graphics card and was just horrid. Toshiba is the PC brand I trust the most personally, but I am glad I invested in my Mac.

Cecilia

I keep saying,"next computer will be a Mac."  Given that I can usually buy two or three other computers for the price of one Mac, I keep opting for the less expensive option. 

Wistful Dream

Well if you want a laptop they are producing the newest Mac Air's for $900 ish, which is the cheapest I've seen one, brand new out of the factory. That said I put $3k into mine and for me it was totally worth it; but then I'm an artist and it runs all of the programs I need for my course work and art like a dream with no issue. Even with pretty constant daily use and lots of traveling its still working like new over a year and a half after I got it.

Black Orchid

I wanted a Mac before, to fend off the viruses and all, but a lot of new media and games doesn't like Mac users, my Sims and things would always be second in updates and fixes, not to mention any new computer games that becomes "Just for PCs" for three to four years until they're ready to be Mac efficient.
O&O of a Flower

Oreo

I found this deal in my mailbox this morning >_> From NewEgg. The promo code is Here

(Edit. with the savings you could buy Vista and return to win 7 after the pedal gets upgraded)

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Black Orchid

That is the exact same laptop my mother have; she said it was 400$, does the promo take it down to that?
O&O of a Flower

Spell

Quote from: Black Orchid on February 04, 2011, 10:46:21 AM
I wanted a Mac before, to fend off the viruses and all, but a lot of new media and games doesn't like Mac users, my Sims and things would always be second in updates and fixes, not to mention any new computer games that becomes "Just for PCs" for three to four years until they're ready to be Mac efficient.

You could always install Windows on your Mac and install them on Windows and use that only for gaming?
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...