Surviving the Zombiepocalypse - "The Colony" adaptation

Started by Sashira, September 17, 2010, 12:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sashira

Any interest in an RP centered around the Zombiepocalypse?

The end of the world has arrived. A plague has struck down 95% of the human race, turning them into cannibalistic walking dead that can only be killed by decapitation or destruction of the brain. A small group of survivors band together for mutual protection and decide to rebuild society in a safe location. They pile supplies into an all-terrain vehicle (maybe with some nifty modifications?) and set off from the infested city to find a building on the outskirts of the wilderness which can be fortified into a compound. There will still be encounters with zombies, but not as many as in the city centers.

Similar to the show "The Colony" there would be various challenges presented by hostile humans, survival/sustainability, and of course avoiding the zombie plague. (The actual TV show does not have zombies.) Challenges could be suggested by players (including me), or could be gotten from RL friends (I know my husband would have some interesting ideas) and posted by players.

Your character could either be based off yourself, or not. Great roles would be the martial artist "tough guy/girl" who helps defend us, an engineering wizard, a mechanic who souped up the car, some hippies whose childhood on the commune gave them knowledge in sustainable agriculture, etc. I would play a version of myself - a know-it-all city girl who's read all the survival manuals, loves strategy and problem-solving, but has never swung a katana before. She's a tough girl, good with a knife, but that's not gonna help against the zombies.

I haven't decided yet what my character looks like, but I will draw her up if there's any interest in the game.

Spice

I'll play if there's enough interest. But a game like this, you need a few victims ... err ... heroes.

SPiCE

Luella

I would love to sign up for this one!

But first, I'll share with you a really brief character outline of mine I'll be rping as!

Name: Erika Stewart
Occupation: Medical student, apocalypse struck before she can graduate fully.
Hair colour: Strawberry blonde
Eye colour: Green

Personality: A kindhearted soul who will go all out to help a person or animal in need, even if the person who is infected (not a zombie yet) suffering from grave injuries. Her greatest wish is for humanity to survive this ordeal and believes that one day, the human race will reign once again. She is valuable in the team, providing medical assistance to all. She is quiet by nature, and can be stubborn sometimes and will fight for her rights.

Weakness: She breaks down and succumbs to fear easily, gets panic attacks if she is left alone due to past traumatic experiences. Bad with guns, very, very bad!
--------end------

Also, how does a zombie infect a person in your story? Are they able to or is that only up to the plague? Will plague carriers (not yet turned) infect a healthy person through close contact? And finally ( I apologize for so many questions!), how long does a affected victim from the plague gets turned into a zombie?

That is all! And all the best in getting more to join!  :D
Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead ~James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

Sashira

Thanks Luella! I like the concept of Erika and would very much like to have her along.

I still hope we can get at least one "fighter" type. Spice, if you joined us what kind of character do you think you would play? Or would you want to be the zombie mastermind?

Details of the infection:
(Can be altered if people prefer another version)
The first phase was spread aerially. Most humans caught it that way*; for a small percentage of the population, mild cold symptoms disappeared after a day or two, marking them as "carriers". For the other 95%, the disease destroyed their neurological functions, increased their aggression, and made them hunger for human flesh. The disease takes about three days to incubate and determine the status of an infected person. The zombies retain enough intelligence to have armed themselves with simple implements and to "flock" in small groups for prey. They cannot aim a gun, and could only open a door with difficulty. Their coordination is poor, making them move slower than people, but they are otherwise at human-level physical ability.

If a "carrier" human is bitten by a zombie, the virus in their blood will become active and the infection will consume them rapidly; within hours they will succumb. Perhaps Erika can find a medical treatment for the newly bitten, or God help us, even a cure for the condition.

• There are humans in very remote areas, mostly paranoid maniacs, who got to bio-hazard suits in time - they zealously guard their status as infection-free and shoot at people on sight. Lacking the protection of others, they are vulnerable to being eaten alive by zombies.

Spice

I'm thinking tough, baseball playing Tomboy who had to beat her boyfriend to death after he went zombie.

Sashira

Nice one, Spice! I would feel safer having someone with a good swing along.

Just to throw this out there, what if all mammals are susceptible to the Zombie Plague? Zombie dogs, man-eating housecats....

In Steven King's The Stand I was touched by how the last few surviving dogs had become precious. I think if zombie mammals are a go, I myself will bring a non-zombie kitten to the compound.

Spice

I have no problem with Zombie animals. I wouldn't make them the main focus. But I would definitely try to save the kittens.

Luella

KITTENS!

Yup,thanks for the brief detail about the infection status! I'll linger around while more people join in this RP!  :D
Every time a child says, "I don't believe in fairies," there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead ~James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

TheHangedOne

Definitely interested in this idea. Character ideas are percolating.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Sashira

Name: Devi Constantine
Hair colour: Brown
Eye colour: Blue

Personality: Devi is easily bored unless there is a challenge at hand. She grew up reading survival manuals and saw the zombie outbreak as a chance to amuse herself with a little life-and-death problem solving. All things considered she is more cheerful since the outbreak of the plague. Many would view Devi as eccentric, but she sees it as adapting her mind to a world that has already gone mad. One quirk is that she will not give up wearing skirts, even to climb fences, kill zombies, etc.

Weakness: May think she can handle something based only on knowing the theory, which can be dangerous. Also, no past experience with any weapons other than knives. In fact, her willingness to go into direct combat with the Infected despite her small stature and inexperience is an example of how she does not always think things through. She knows how to protect herself from having been a foster kid, so she has a soft spot for things that are small and helpless.