Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroticFantasyAuthor

Should be easy enough to use the Pathfinder Campfire Stone with 3.5, would just need DM permission.

Nicolae

@Blinkin: I'd be fine if you wanted to use the Pathfinder Campfire Stones.
O/O   Ideas

Muse

You can  pull a campfire out of your survival pouch.  :) 

And then there's the magic bedroll.  500gp.  keeps you warm and cozy when you sleep, and let's you heal a bit faster.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Ok, I'll have to look hard at a campfirebead. Just set down and poof, 8 hours of fire.

I couldn't find a price on the bedroll, so didn't get it. and the description of the Survival pouch didn't list a campfire as one of the items that you could pull..

What it listed was:

5x day, any of the following items:
1 day ratons for a medium creature
1 2 gallon waterskin filled with wter
1 tent with 2 bedrolls that will hold 2 medium sized creatures
50 ft of hemp rope.

Is the list incomplete?

The bead is more than I recall, so it's out of the price range if I get the wand of vigor... and what does it do exactly as I couldn't seem to find it...
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Nicolae

Here's the Pathfinder description of the campfire bead:

This tiny glass bead transforms itself into a small (2-foot-tall) pile of burning logs whenever its command word is spoken. The fire burns for 8 hours or until extinguished, at which point it turns back into a bead. The owner of the item must wait twice as long as the fire burned before he can order the bead to become a campfire again.
O/O   Ideas

Blinkin

Yep, that's it. 720 gp. Relatively cheap for a magic item. I just have to decide which would be more useful for the party as a whole, a ready made campfire each evening, or the wand of vigor.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I would go with the healing rather than the time-saver

Nicolae

I can probably help with that decision, at least to let you know that it may be a while before you guys are in a location where campfires are needed. At least at first, this will revolve mainly around events happening in the city of Waterdeep itself.
O/O   Ideas

Blinkin

The wand then. As plentiful as magic is in Waterdeep, it shouldn't be too difficult to find either the bedroll or the bead at a later date.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what a dwelling would cost? Something modest, but in a part of town that isn't going to be next to either the docks or the taverns?

I have about 200 gp left to spend and it might be nice to have her own place in town since she winters in Waterdeep most years.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Nicolae

Considering that, it may be better for her to rent a room in a tavern or row house in the city when she's in need of a place to sleep. Buying a place in Waterdeep is surprisingly expensive, even for pretty Spartan living conditions. The lowest class of building in Waterdeep is 1000 gold pieces for an 18 feet by 18 feet piece of land with 500 gold pieces for a 1 story building sitting on it. (According to a Stephen Schend article named "Property Values in Waterdeep".)
O/O   Ideas

Zaer Darkwail

While as 1,000gp spend on top tier luxury inn room can give said room for a 500 days or 2,000 days for medium room or 5,000 days with poor quality room. Not count coin spend on services and top of that you do not need pay for every day (just pay for your stay).

Blinkin

Quote from: Calrond on October 29, 2013, 03:23:56 PM
Considering that, it may be better for her to rent a room in a tavern or row house in the city when she's in need of a place to sleep. Buying a place in Waterdeep is surprisingly expensive, even for pretty Spartan living conditions. The lowest class of building in Waterdeep is 1000 gold pieces for an 18 feet by 18 feet piece of land with 500 gold pieces for a 1 story building sitting on it. (According to a Stephen Schend article named "Property Values in Waterdeep".)

1,000 GP for 340 square feet of land? And I thought that realestate in New York was high! That's barely more than space for a cot and chamberpot. lol

I agree, a moderately priced room in a tavern or row house makes more sense...

So... 1K for 2K days means that it's roughly 5 SP a day... Say that the winter runs 4 months in the area of Waterdeep... meaning that the harbor probably has ice for 3 months of the year and then a month to refirbish ships for the sailing season... that's 60 GP for lodgings... paid up front just to insure the room stays hers and food is by the day... mead, decent breakfast and dinner with a modest mid-day...

oh... another quirk, it's mead or decent wine... she probably drinks more than enough grog or rum most of the year that she's not going near anything made from grains unless she has no other choice. lol

Oh! Need to get a keg of mead!!!
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Added to Serge's history, mentioning Elle, Inanna, Sim and Wren.  Let me know if I messed anything up.  It's been a few days since I traded private messages with people... 

Blinkin, about the survival pouch,check the next page. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

What next page... I found it on a secondary source site, not the D&D wiki...

Have to check the character history and probably change my own, but we'll see how it works out.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Landshark

I could be wrong but I believe that Waterdeeps harbor doesnt freeze in the winter. They are far enough south so that doesnt happen...but just.

Blinkin

Hmmmm... I seem to recall more than one of the established writers noting that it's far enough north to get ice storms and a pretty significant winter... but it's been a long time since I've been able to read Greenwood and Cunningham. Salvatore never really got into waterdeep aside from in passing.

It's a relatively minor point. Winters are traditionally slower shipping seasons regardless of the climate because of the way it effects the seas... but that's historicaal in our world, not in Forgotten Realms.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Zaer Darkwail

The freezing of ocean or docks depend how hard water currents are. Some rivers do not freeze much at all even harsh winter. But I do think Waterdeep docks can be quiet season and only vessels elsewhere come to place then vessels leave. So local merchants have ships dry docked and repaired during winter and place them down back into water once winds grow warmer (only rare merchants have trade travels during that time).

Nicolae

Anyone still needing to post their character sheet in the character thread should do so ASAP. I want to start this game no later than Friday, and I want to have everyone's character sheet who is still interested in playing there by Friday, let's say 3pm EST.
O/O   Ideas

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Calrond on October 30, 2013, 06:06:02 PM
Anyone still needing to post their character sheet in the character thread should do so ASAP. I want to start this game no later than Friday, and I want to have everyone's character sheet who is still interested in playing there by Friday, let's say 3pm EST.
Will do, ill get my bio done and up for then

Zaer Darkwail

Darkling, can you mention where from is Disciple of Sharess? I do remember there was stats for that PrC somewhere but I cannot find it anywhere :P.

Florence

So sorry for not having mine done yet X_x I'll try to have it done in time. The armor and stuff has just been really stumping me for some reason. Just not sure what to do with a druid :I
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Zaer Darkwail

First question as druid is that how you participate in combat? Shapeshifting would give obvious choice for close combat offense but you can focus less on shapeshifting and focus on spells instead. If focusing on spells, the weapon could be ranged (as elf you get free proficiency for bows so use it), and armor made from leather and have some skill boosting or certain enchantments which are universally useful but not necessary for direct combat.

Then another way is shapeshift focus where weapon is very much meaningless as you go rip and tear with claws. In such case you should focus use spells boost yourself and heal (nature spell is must have in both combat or caster focus none the less). Armor then needs be sturdiest you can find and apply enchant which allows use the same armor (and enchantments) in animal forms.

There are certain PrC's which help bolster shapeshift focus; Master of Many Forms, Warshaper. Nature's Warrior is very good hybrid focus of both shapeshift and also progress spellcasting. A ultimatum of this choice is taking Shapeshifting variant feature from PHB II which sacrifices animal companion and normal wild shaping in return getting very combat focused forms (and easier book keeping regarding your stats in animal form).

However, if wanting to be more a forest mystic then there are lots of choices also; Arcane Hierophant is hybrid druid/arcanist PrC and combines familiar and animal companion and allows do sneaky stuff with plants which shoot lightning bolts (or other 'spell traps' sort deals).

Also any divine spellcasting PrC is open (so long it does not ask have domains or rebuke/turn undead).

Ghostwheel

I'm personally a big fan of the Shapeshift Druid (found in Player's Handbook 2) since it makes for a more balanced druid who doesn't need to dumpster dive through a dozen books to find the min-maxed best form possible and isn't limited by how many times he can transform per day either, going from combat form to utility back to combat and so on.

Just a great ACF all around.

Muse

Hey Blinkin. Here's the full text of the Survival Pouch: 

SURVIVAL POUCH
Price (Item Level): 3,300 gp (8th)
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) conjuration
Activation: Standard (manipulation)
Weight: 5 lb.
This pouch looks like it’s seen its share of rough use. It is tattered and stained from use in the wild.
Five times per day, you can reach into a survival pouch and retrieve your choice of one of the following items. You can draw out the same item five times in one day, draw out five different items, or produce any combination of up to five items.
Each item lasts for 8 hours or until indicated below, whichever comes first.
• Trail rations for one Medium creature for one day.
• Two gallons of water stored in a waterskin.  The waterskin disappears if it is emptied completely.
• A tent and two bedrolls sized for Medium creatures.
• A 50-foot coil of hempen rope.
• A shovel.
• A campfire (about 2 feet square). The fire can be left to burn, or it can be pulled apart to produce eight lit torches. Each removed torch lasts for 1 hour and reduces the remaining burning time of the campfire by 1 hour. If the fire is extinguished, the unburnt portion vanishes.
• A composite shortbow (+1 Str bonus) and a quiver of 20 arrows. The bow disappears 1 round after the last arrow has been drawn from the quiver.
• A mule with bit, bridle, saddle, and saddlebags (treat as a summoned creature, except that it will not fight for you).
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, major creation.
Cost to Create: 1,650 gp, 132 XP, 4 days.

Blinkin

Thanks for the description, it looks like I may have to rearrange some things to afford it, the price is about twice what the listed price I saw was. Figures... Should be able to handle it though...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.