What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonalberry

Quote from: Sabby on July 09, 2011, 12:17:36 AM
I'm thinking Spiderman 3, that had the best combat, but it's not even in the same league as Batman: AA xD wanna see Spidey catch a fist, web his ankle, yank it out, stun punch on the ground.

I haven't played any of the Spider-Man movie games, aside from some of 1, I think.  I've played Ult. Spider-Man, some of Web of Shadows, and a little of Shattered Dimensions.  I think it's Ult. Spider-Man that had the combat system I'm thinking of.  It was really good, and let you really get a feel for Spidey's strength and agility.  For a closer feel of AA's combat, I think the Spider-Man Noir levels in Shattered Dimensions came close, because you had to use stealth a lot, and silent takedown-like moves.  They were pretty f'ing brutal.  Slamming people into the ground, into walls, stomping on them...

Sabby

That's because Noir Spidey wants to be Arkham Asylum so badly that he's taken to dressing in black and hanging out in dark corners having a cry.

Tonalberry

Quote from: Sabby on July 09, 2011, 12:36:08 AM
That's because Noir Spidey wants to be Arkham Asylum so badly that he's taken to dressing in black and hanging out in dark corners having a cry.

Hey now, be nice.  I've got the Spider-Man Noir comics, and they're a pretty nice change of pace from your normal Spider-Man.  I need to get Shattered Dimensions on GameFly, I didn't get very far when I rented it from Blockbuster.  Stupid Kraven and his stupid level.

Sabby

I hated that game so much .__. just what Spiderman needed, less urban exploration via extreme web based travel (it's kind of, like, his thing) and more God of War Lite combat. Though some of the levels were pretty good. Laughed so hard at the Electro boss fight introduction xD

dready

Quote from: Tonalberry on July 09, 2011, 12:38:44 AM
Hey now, be nice.  I've got the Spider-Man Noir comics, and they're a pretty nice change of pace from your normal Spider-Man.  I need to get Shattered Dimensions on GameFly, I didn't get very far when I rented it from Blockbuster.  Stupid Kraven and his stupid level.
Constant side-stepping and web-jumping to points.

Felt really cheap being that it was the only decent way to beat his level. Then realized that for the black suit and ultimate spidey that it is a recurring strategy to beat the bosses for some reason.

Noir levels were awesome because they felt like an action puzzle, but the constant use of hostages for three levels straight pissed me off. Seriously? They haven't heard about people taking hostages after the previous failures and instead think that it's a good strategy? Villains are idiots in Noir outside of combat and gruesome hobbies.

Wolfy

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ChipCheezum/videos/81/

Ever play No More Heroes?

Ever Wonder what the last boss actually says when Travis Fast-Forwards through it?

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on July 10, 2011, 06:17:59 PM
http://www.viddler.com/explore/ChipCheezum/videos/81/

Ever play No More Heroes?

Ever Wonder what the last boss actually says when Travis Fast-Forwards through it?
o - o

O o O

(O) o (O)

Wolfy

Quote from: dready on July 10, 2011, 08:59:53 PM
o - o

O o O

(O) o (O)

Well he did say he was speeding it up so they didn't have to raise the age rating.

still..it sounded kind of funny sped up.

Now it just sounds rather depressing..and actually provides a real reason for her wanting no only their father but also Travis dead.

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on July 10, 2011, 10:24:18 PM
Well he did say he was speeding it up so they didn't have to raise the age rating.

still..it sounded kind of funny sped up.

Now it just sounds rather depressing..and actually provides a real reason for her wanting no only their father but also Travis dead.
Indeed.

Sabby

Just finished Brotherhood. I wouldn't call it a waste of a week, I've been pretty harsh on it for it's controls and gameplay, but I know a huge part of the issue was the PC controls. The plot actually started to improve, and I had fun when I wasn't accidentally keypalming my way into dudes sword arms or off roofs I would have had no trouble climbing on the Xbox. But the last stretch is pretty typical of Assassin's Creed at this point, and that's NOT a good thing.

Out of no where, after 15 hours of decently paced faffing around, your suddenly thrown into the hectic final chapter, with time lapses, lots of action that is not properly explained, either through poor writing or forced sequel baiting, and then that ATROCIOUS ending. It just feels like they had no idea how to wrap things up properly, so introduced some new plot points at the last minute and went "Fuck it, we'll come up with the other half next game"

So just like Assassins Creed 2. This is how writers find themselves in corners... by being lazy, rushed, or both, and I can't tell what the ratio here is. Plus that Truth thing... well, I'll give it this, it was better then the last once, because when ya have to choose between "So cryptic it didn't reveal anything at all" and "LOL! Escape the Garden of Eden! Run Adam!" then I'd go with the former.

Sabby

*shudders* just found out the Achievement for finishing Subject 16's 10 Clusters (.. .- -- .- .-.. .. ...- .) is morse code or something. It's supposed to translate to I AM ALIVE. That shit creeps me out.

Oniya

My Morse is rusty, but I'm pretty sure that's right.  I recognize V and E off the top of my head.  (V has the same rhythm as Beethoven's Fifth.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Finally got my hands on Drakes Fortune 2, and, well... I wanna say it sucks >.< really, I do. I hated the first one, and the second has all of the same problems, but I just can't bring myself to totally dismiss it. It's good. Not great, not terrible. the graphics are amazing, the gameplay and controls are pretty polished and fun, with the exception of his retarded jumping. But really, could they be playing it any safer?

Wtf Naughty Dog? You made some of the best games ever :/ Jak and Daxter 3, Infamous, both games on my top 10 list, easily, but I look at DF2 and then to Infamous 2, and the level of production values for the former totally destroys the latter. You sink all your resources into the most plainest, unsurprising, bland game possible, when you made Jak and fucking Daxter, and totally revolutionalized super hero sandbox games.

The characters, the levels, the gameplay, the villains, the controls, everything about DF2 is like a cut and paste from another game, like a Frankenstien made from stitched up bits of Tomb Raider, Gears of War, Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia. The resulting construct is a functional, able and skilled monster with an absolute lack of anything even remotely similar to charm or personality.

Oooh, another chopper! I guess theres a box of RPG's around here somewhere. I hope my charming boyish wise cracking that only I find funny will protect my generic brown fringe as I go to collect it and save my tough blond girlfriend from all the nasty bullets and that foreigner bad guy whose clearly evil because he's scarred and has a foreign accent. WHERE HAVE I SEEN THIS BEFORE? Dx

Wolfy

If only there were a way to play games and text at the same time..

Sabby

Traded Drakes Fortune 2 (good riddance!) for Heavy Rain, and I'll return that for a refund when I'm done. Two games for the price of none!

It's pretty okay so far... the kid actors are kind of bad, and something about the opening scene really bugs me (will explain in spoiler tags) but overall, its a decent story with actually good QTE's... I'm afraid to find the 'skip cutscene' button, because it may take me to the credits xD

But yeah...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You dive to tackle your son, putting your back between him and a car, and your son dies. All you get is a 6 month coma. I know children are weaker then adults and thats why I got off better then him, but it just bugs me they never explain how, so I'm left thinking maybe I shoulder barged his head into the pavement.

And I don't consider this a spoiler, so what the fuck is up with the detective? Not the fat guy, no, he's the best character so far, like a combination of Chuck Norris and Buddha filmed by Clint Eastwood. It's the Johny Cage impersonator with that ridiculous cyberglove and shades. If you want me to treat your plot as a completely serious crime drama set in a realistic modern day setting, then you don't put the power of a whole season of CSI forensics bullshit on one of the main characters heads like its the most normal thing ever. Does every detective have sophisticated A.I. programs and DNA scanning technology in something paper thin but with the processing and battery power of super computer? Is he from the future? :/ His very existance makes me question it and this keeps me from immersing myself...

Sabby

Hahaha! I am LOVING this P.I. character. Seriously, this is as manly and badass as jolly old fat men in their 40's get xD all he's done so far is save women, shoot bad guys, kick ass, cook eggs and the whole time he's just chill about everything.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on July 17, 2011, 07:50:55 AM
Hahaha! I am LOVING this P.I. character. Seriously, this is as manly and badass as jolly old fat men in their 40's get xD all he's done so far is save women, shoot bad guys, kick ass, cook eggs and the whole time he's just chill about everything.

...*Laughs uncontrollably at Sabby*

....*Cheshire Grin*

Sabby

Uhg, the one thing I like for this game, and of course it has to shit all over it.

Really? Scott Shelby was the killer? Why was he pretending to investigate his OWN MURDERS?! I don't care what kind of curiosity he might have had in the victims that didn't take his trials, he was genuinely looking for answers, it's like they didn't make him the killer until the script was three quarters done. I mean, the incriminating flashback doesn't even add up, he clearly walked in and found the guy dead, but the flash back shows him killing him.

Why did he keep following the trail? Why would he look for these clues that only HE knew about? To get in Lauren's pants? Then why did he send her away? Why did he constantly fight to protect her? Why does all of the writing suggest he actually loved her and genuinely wanted to find this killer? I'll tell you why... because he wasn't the killer for most of the fucking script! I'm convinced of this... the way it's written, any of them could have been the killer. Ethan had the black outs, Jayden had the Tripto hallucinations, that cuntbag cop with the beard was just a nutjob and was clearing covering things up...

I'm absolutely certain they intended for multiple endings with different killers, but towards the end, they had to flip a coin and decide on one, and then did an absolutely shit job at cutting the established plot into the new rushed ending.

I mean, the guy single handed invaded a mob bosses home like Mel Gibson in Edge of Darkness with a bigger body count. Why would he do that? Because he was convinced the rich bastards son was the killer... I already hear you going "No, he was a threat now, he had to take him out, his investigation was an excuse" BULLSHIT! If he needed a scapegoat, then why choose a fucking mobsters son? He's not stupid! And if he was there to take out a threat, WHY DID HE SPARE HIM? None of this adds up, Scott being the killer is the most retarded fucking plot twist I've heard in ages.

Fuck I hate this fucking game >.< Are there no good writers in the gaming industry? I know it takes a bit more effort to write for a video game, because it works differently then film, but you can't tell me it's impossible, it's like every video game plot I come by loses it's way with time. Either that, or I'm just becoming a cynical bastard, and I don't want to be one >.<

EDIT: Oh, and another thing, WHERES THE MUM?! This bit just hit me in the nerve, I was actually angry at the game for excluding her. Do you think maybe the person who lost as much as Ethan would be worth including the final chapter where whats left of her already mostly destroyed life is hanging in a precarious balance?

What you get is...

Ethan fucks the girl he's known for maybe 30 collective minutes, most of which doped up on pain meds and thinking single minded about more important things then boobs, then him and his new girl go and get a big beautiful home and her new adopted son, who spent a week in a storm drain, is not traumatized at all and doesn't really seem to care that he has a new mum.

Look, she's obviously somewhere, so where is it? Under the ground? In a mental hospital? Skipped town? "LOL! Fuck that bitch, we don't need her" DUDE not cool D=

Sabby

I need to channel some of this gamer rage >.< Spoony has nothing on me, hehe. Too bad I can't afford a webcam.

Wolfy

*Grins at Sabby* Teehee...I knew you'd react that way to the reveal..thus the laughing at you.

Sabby

Uhg, just saw the new Harry Potter game for Kinect. Why does it have to suck? Why are developers still treating the Kinect like it's just a gimmick :/ I swear, the fall of the Wii, and the stagnation of Kinect and Move can be pinned on the companies making the games, not the technology. It pisses me off. And this is Harry Potter! It's perfect for Kinect. It has 3D motion sensors and voice recognition :/ All you'd need to do is say you're spells, and fire them with a flick, so a jab forward or an underarm or however you deliver it changes the force and directory. Dodging is pretty self explanatory... yeah, movement is still a problem without a controller, but they can do better then this!

The gameplay is just hand waving. There is nothing else to it. Slap randomly at the air, and the on rails shooter spams Flippendo.

Wolfy

Oh you, Sabby-kins...I want to take you behind that bush and just...let all your anger out. ;D

Anyway..playing Left 4 Dead 2 and WoW...those are the most recent games, anyway...until I get my next gamefly games.

dready

Playing Dofus 2 on the Incarnum server. e u e I'm a healer and I don't know anyone who plays the game but I'm already lv 8 and at 99% to lv 9.

\e u e/

Tonalberry

I can't wait to get my character in Champions Online to level 25.  Gonna make his nemesis a cheap Power Rangers/Super Sentai monster knock-off, since he himself looks like he belongs in a sentai series.

Sabby

I should try an MMO... any good ones besides Wow? >.> Preferably F2P...