Shadowrun Online! [5th edition]

Started by undisclosedtoyou, November 07, 2014, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: 1SAZ on November 08, 2014, 11:47:25 PM
Random question, is Run and Gun an available resource?

I have it, so you can definitely use it for this game.  If you mean to purchase or find over the interwebz, that's a yes to. 
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

1SAZ

My gun runner just got a hell of a lot more appealing then. I'll be working on it tonight and tomorrow, but expect the proverbial embodiment of a walking armory with a stylish flair soon.

SOON! ;)

undisclosedtoyou

I look forward to reading it, 1SAZ! 
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Muse

So, I'm working on an aspected magician (Sorceress) who is somewhat a hybrid with combat classes, using sustained spells instead of 'ware to boost her in combat.  Anyone got a sugestion on what weapon she might use for her primary? 

Katanas are fun, but probably over done. My fencer is a diferent character.  I'm looking at things like monokinves, whip, little axes, even just boxing with shock gloves. 

Any thoguhts? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

akirakaneda

Quote from: Muse on November 09, 2014, 12:18:43 AM
So, I'm working on an aspected magician (Sorceress) who is somewhat a hybrid with combat classes, using sustained spells instead of 'ware to boost her in combat.  Anyone got a sugestion on what weapon she might use for her primary? 

Katanas are fun, but probably over done. My fencer is a diferent character.  I'm looking at things like monokinves, whip, little axes, even just boxing with shock gloves. 

Any thoguhts? 

sometimes magicians fight with staffs which had a magic device on one extreme and capable to cut with the other, well just an opinion

ReijiTabibito

Currently doublechecking my options, but I'm thinking someone with a bit of a tech bent.  Either a decker or a driver.  Not sure which yet, that might depend on a few things.  In the meantime, a question.  How difficult is decking?

Muse

Just saw the first episode of SAO.  I have a question.  Going ot put it in spoiler for those who haven't seen the anime yet. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
They're not going to revoke our avatars in this game, are they?
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

1SAZ

In response to Muse:

I'm guessing style wise, this will be more like GGO's avatar system. You pick a metatype and gender and then you get what you get based on random chance/set parameters.

Just my thoughts though. Could also revoke the avatar's basic appearance and you end up with your normal appearance with your metatype's extra features.

I also recommend watching Log Horizon, which offers another perspective on that question that could also work well for this game.

ReijiTabibito

Quick question for Dis.  There's a gun I want to use in the Gun H(e)aven book.  I have an online link to where you can read the book.  If I give you that link, then can I use the book?

Latooni Subota

Woo, busy weekend. Checking in from the interest/GM Recruitment thread, FINALLY. Probably won't have the time to finish up a concept and sheet today, but the perk of having a new job working for a bank means I get this Tuesday off! :D

I'll TRY and get at least a concept up asap though.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ReijiTabibito

Tooni?  What are you planning on doing for your character?  I'm debating a Decker or a Driver, but I'm not really sure which.

Latooni Subota

Not sure yet. Probably not using any magic, and leaning towards more tech. I do like quick gunslinger and BnE types though.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 09, 2014, 09:11:44 AM
Currently doublechecking my options, but I'm thinking someone with a bit of a tech bent.  Either a decker or a driver.  Not sure which yet, that might depend on a few things.  In the meantime, a question.  How difficult is decking?

From what I've read, it looks to be on the same level as playing a magic user, difficulty wise.

Quote from: Muse on November 09, 2014, 10:49:35 AM
  Just saw the first episode of SAO.  I have a question.  Going ot put it in spoiler for those who haven't seen the anime yet. 

They're not going to revoke our avatars in this game, are they?

Quote from: 1SAZ on November 09, 2014, 01:08:57 PM
In response to Muse:

I'm guessing style wise, this will be more like GGO's avatar system. You pick a metatype and gender and then you get what you get based on random chance/set parameters.

Just my thoughts though. Could also revoke the avatar's basic appearance and you end up with your normal appearance with your metatype's extra features.

I also recommend watching Log Horizon, which offers another perspective on that question that could also work well for this game.

I actually like MMO's that allow for a player to configure the way their avatar works, but I did like how it was portrayed in GGO.  In the end, the avatars are still going to look the way you want them to, so I'm just going to say that you get to create one the way you like.  And, I think I'm going to say no, your Avatars don't default to the way your character looks in their real world.

I watched the first two episodes of Log Horizon, but I really have to watch more to determine if I really like it.  So far it's plot seems to be a bit less serious than SAO.  I did like how the ninja was able to take a potion and regain her real world appearance, but I don't think I'll go that route with this game.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 09, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
Quick question for Dis.  There's a gun I want to use in the Gun H(e)aven book.  I have an online link to where you can read the book.  If I give you that link, then can I use the book?

I found an online pdf.  But if you're going to use a weapon from it, all I ask is that you put a description of it, as well as it's 5th edition stats in spoiler text.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 09, 2014, 03:47:58 PM
Woo, busy weekend. Checking in from the interest/GM Recruitment thread, FINALLY. Probably won't have the time to finish up a concept and sheet today, but the perk of having a new job working for a bank means I get this Tuesday off! :D

I'll TRY and get at least a concept up asap though.

Woo hoo, LS, take all the time you need! 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on November 09, 2014, 04:39:47 PM
From what I've read, it looks to be on the same level as playing a magic user, difficulty wise.

Okay.  I'll read over the section on decking, but if it's going to be really complicated for a 1st character then I'll stick to driving.  Probably.

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on November 09, 2014, 04:39:47 PM
I found an online pdf.  But if you're going to use a weapon from it, all I ask is that you put a description of it, as well as it's 5th edition stats in spoiler text.

It's the Colt Agent Special.  But yeah, I'll do that.

undisclosedtoyou

It doesn't seem too complicated, and from a few people I've talked to, Deckers are well liked archetypes.  Also, I've heard they're a lot of fun, so it might be worth any extra trouble it takes to learn to play.  All I know, is that I've been hoping someone takes a Decker, because I wouldn't mind seeing one in action, plus they're very useful to have around.  But drivers are useful to, so whichever you choose, I'll appreciate!

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

The problem I'm seeing with a Decker is that Decks get very expensive, very quickly.  I'm not 100%, but I think you don't have to buy Programs anymore, which means that they're not absurdly expensive...

undisclosedtoyou

Well yes, but as I see it, it's an investment in fun!  but whichever you choose is fine with me!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

Correction, you can buy programs, and they help out quite a bit...but they're not insanely expensive anymore, and it really doesn't help you to buy a ton of them, since you can usually only use a couple at a time.

undisclosedtoyou

That's pretty helpful information!  You've played 4th edition before?
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Latooni Subota

I'm tentatively making a street samurai with an extreme focus on skills and breaking and entering tricks. Tentatively. I'll update you guys as details get finalized.

undisclosedtoyou

I think someone else mentioned the possibility of making a street samurai to, but tbh, I'm perfectly okay with having more than one of the same archetype in game.  XD
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Muse

Reiji:  You could compromise and do a rigger? 

You don't need to get a super expensive deck right out of the gate.  Even for skilled starting characters, a limit of 4-5 is good for their starting skills.  (If limit bothers you dont' invest in more expensive equipment, invest in edge.) 

I think this will be J.T.'s Avatar.  (Maybe her street name iwll be Black Cherry.)

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on November 09, 2014, 05:09:02 PM
That's pretty helpful information!  You've played 4th edition before?

I have.  I grew up on 3rd, but 4th/20th Anniversary is probably my favorite because it let you tailor-make your characters to a degree that's rather difficult with the Priority System.  Example.  My character's A priority is probably going to be Skills - which means I get 46 Skill Points, and 10 Skill Group Points.  That's a lot, and meant for characters that need a lot of skills like Deckers.  Here's the thing - I think it's too much.  I have little doubt that I'll be able to use up the 10 Skill Group Points, but 46 points in skills besides those?  I could downgrade Skills to Priority B, but then I drop to 36 Skill Points and 5 Skill Group Points.  Still enough for a decker (invest most if not all into Electronics Skill Group)...but just on the edge.  Right now, I'm having an internal war over whether or not Resources or Attributes is going to occupy Priority B (C is whichever one isn't B, D is Metatype, and E is Magic/Resonance, since I'm a Mundy).

Priority B in Attributes gives me 20, which lets me boost up half my Attributes to Rating 4, as opposed to Priority B, whose 16 points would mean I'd be average across the board.  However, there's a 135,000 nuyen difference between Resources Priorities B & C, which is enough to pay for a higher-level cyberdeck.  Level C would mean I'm probably picking up an Azteca 200 deck, but Level B means I could get a Novatech Navigator or even a Renraku Tsurugi if I conserve elsewhere enough.

In 20th, I could easily work around this problem by just calculating however much BP I needed for my Gear/Skills, and then going accordingly.  With the Priority System...

Marie Reynolds

Muse:Also added a bit more detail on the appearance thing and how it is addressed and mapped in the spoiler below.

Also Muse the way the gear that connects you to the game scans your body and with the second season and differing races that exist in the second season game handles  your appearance being added to the race template. Even when males select to play female characters or Females Males it still scans your appearance to add to the characters appearance.

Undisclosed: I had interest in a street Samurai but I do not have a problem with more the one there is always enough variation to be had in archetypes. Besides then I wont be the only tank in the group.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on November 09, 2014, 05:17:44 PM
Reiji:  You could compromise and do a rigger? 

That's what I was thinking, but that doesn't solve my problem at all.  Must-have equipment for nearly any rigger is a control rig, which has exploded in cost from 20th Anniversary.  In 20th Ann, control rigs were a yes/no cyberware, cost only half an Essence Point, and were 10k.

In SR5, Control Rigs come in three different Ratings, and the lowest (Rating 1) has an Essence Cost of 1, with a nuyen cost of 40k+.  Rating 2?  2 whole points of Essence, and almost 100k nuyen.