rp in the SB

Started by Verasaille, December 01, 2015, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

I am setting up a Skype group for those who wish to chat with a little bit of rp. I have the interest thread in the Non forum request threads.

I am not going to argue with the way things are, it is not helping things. Sorry if I upset anyone. It is my personal opinion. I feel like there are others who feel the same way. No hard feelings?  ;D
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

The Dark Raven

I have also sent you a PM with information on IRC if you choose to go that route. :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nadir

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
The very few I see in the SB are not usually over ten or so, that is far from thousands.

Remember you can see the SB without it seeing you. It's only when you click the text field does it register your presence - nothing you say in either box is private or unseen.

Giantmutantcrab

Banning people for roleplay on the shoutbox of a roleplay site is still very Silly to me.

And I would suggest that all staffers act in a similar fashion.  Most staffers don't mind RP in the SB, while others seem very enthusiastic to drop the banhammer.

Oreo

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on December 02, 2015, 06:33:09 AM
Banning people for roleplay on the shoutbox of a roleplay site is still very Silly to me.

And I would suggest that all staffers act in a similar fashion.  Most staffers don't mind RP in the SB, while others seem very enthusiastic to drop the banhammer.

The mini ban is handled in this manner to give time for the conversation in the SB to change, and the moderator to send the person a PM explaining where they went wrong. Sometimes, when caught early, a simple nudge is given in the SB, especially if there are applicants around that might not know about RP in the SB. 

All staff do mind RP in the SB. We just might not be present at the moment to leave a nudge. Manning the SB is one of the more time exhaustive tasks we have. We are here to have fun too. Nudging and such is not fun.

The main purpose of the SB is to welcome new applicants and give them a chance to converse with members, mentors, and staff.

This part is me speaking personally as a member, not as staff. If I had come to Elliquiy and seen RP in the SB I would likely have not applied for membership. This was what I was trying to escape when I came here. : /

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Giantmutantcrab

Fine.

I will not talk about this subject matter any longer, as clearly I am in the wrong.

Keep in mind that the Shoutbox can be seen by everyone, approved or not. It's the first impression this site gives. I've been here a long time, and I've spent more time in the SB than most (though not recently) and I can tell you that RP in the SB is more trouble than it's worth. It'll be quite nice once there's a site-provided way to get that instant fix, but the SB is not and should not be the answer. It is a place for everyone, and needs to be as inclusive as possible.

Oreo

Thank you Karma. That pretty much sums it up. It's a waiting period for both staff and members until we can have what we both need. In the mean time we have to do with what is available.

*hugs for all that want them* I wish I could wave a wand and make everything awesome for everyone's tastes.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Giantmutantcrab

I said what I felt and thought about the situation.  I feel that banning people from the SB for "RP" (which is really nothing more than a few lines of text and dice rolls, the whole thing not lasting more than a minute or two) seems a bit heavy-handed.  For the argument point that this pushes away newcomers, I have also seen newcomers participate in those "rp" scenes and it has helped to integrate them.

And I have asked Ves for a little box, like the SB or AB, in which we can throw dice and "RP" without fear of being banned for it.

Because this is not RP.  It's silly playfulness.  No one is setting up a game in the SB.  This is how some people have fun, this is how I have fun.

And I want to have fun, too.

Now I am a liar as well as a rule-breaker because I spoke about this subject while having stated 30 minutes ago that I would not anymore.  But this is my final public post about this subject matter on this particular thread.

Emjay

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
The very few I see in the SB are not usually over ten or so, that is far from thousands. Did you ever think there is a reason so many people do NOT use the SB?

I am on full a lot of hours and usually the SB is dead. No one is talking and no one is even listed on the full screen one. Or if they are there, they are AFK.

The few times when it is active, people are happy chatting away. If a little bit of rp is used the ones doing it are banned, sometimes without warning. Yes the rules are there and yes I know the reason for them. I am just suggesting they be relaxed a bit or give an alternative all can use.

Not everyone goes into the IRC. They want to look at the top of the page and see the friendly conversation going and still access the rest of the site. IRC interferes with that, from what I noticed.

The PM's are not always as spontaneous and you have to keep refreshing to get them. Threads take time to set up and keep active. Most people are too lazy or busy to actively do the rp in a thread, when it is easier to rp the silliness instantly in the SB, or an equivalent.

If you want a more spontaneous RP experience then you can always make a Yahoo Messenger account or Google Messenger and then simply add people that you RP with from Elliquiy.
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]