Ah took an arrow in mah knee...

Started by Sabby, December 31, 2011, 10:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Shjade

I couldn't help but be amused by the banner ad at the bottom of the video in the context of the video. "Go find the Israel in you" paired with vicious viking beating the crap out of nerd. ... Damn, Israel's harsh. :o
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

Quote from: Shjade on December 31, 2011, 11:28:01 PM
"Go find the Israel in you" paired with vicious viking

Nord, but I'll let it slide since they're basically the same thing xD

TheGlyphstone

I got "Visit Australia: See how Sydney residents celebrate NYE!"

I was not surprised in the least. It is Australia, after all.

Manari

I'm glad I'm not the only one sick of seeing that dumb joke everywhere. 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Manari on January 05, 2012, 04:19:39 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one sick of seeing that dumb joke everywhere.

I was sick of seeing that dumb joke everywhere, but then...

;D

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
I was sick of seeing that dumb joke everywhere, but then...

;D
I took and arrow to my knee, but then I took an arrow to my knee.

Ultra-postmodernism!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Manari

I used to steal people's sweet rolls...  but then I found out the cake was a lie.

Inkidu

Quote from: Manari on January 05, 2012, 05:39:56 PM
I used to steal people's sweet rolls...  but then I found out the cake was a lie.
That has got to be the memetic equivalent to dividing by zero. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

The Cloud District. You don't go there very often.

Sabby

Ah, Know Your Meme. It's the closest thing we have to modern history studies.

Inkidu

I used to cover wars, you know, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Sadly, it's addicting.

Driskoll

I always liked this one, but it hasn't blown up like arrow to the knee.

They've got curved swords. Curved. Swords.:o

TheGlyphstone

Let's get some genre-bending up in this thread:

Driskoll

Sabby

That was a missile? o.O It looked like a .50 cal (or whatever they call their rail guns) shredded through one cheek and out the other.

Driskoll

Whatever it was, it was a lot bigger than an arrow and it still didn't keep him down for long. Garrus is a total badass though, whereas I've seen city guards get owned by one too many mudcrabs. *facepalm* 

Chris Brady

Quote from: Sabby on January 08, 2012, 11:53:26 PM
That was a missile? o.O It looked like a .50 cal (or whatever they call their rail guns) shredded through one cheek and out the other.
Twas an explosive shell.  But like Driskoll says, either way Garrus out Badass' anything the Skyrim Guards can do.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

Thought guns in Mass Effect were basically rapid firing rail guns/gauss rifles... didn't think good old shells and bullets were still in use.

Driskoll

Well the second game introduced thermal clips for every normal gun as opposed to the infinite ammo/overheat system in ME1. Since you can't fire without the clip it does lead me to believe the guns operate in a more traditional way albeit with a lot more power than modern weaponry. I'm not sure if the game ever specifically states what the guns are actually shooting, I haven't played ME2 in a while. All I know is when Shepard walks into a room, bad guys die and women try to tear his clothes off. Life is good for him.

Sabby

There's a block of some material inside of the gun, and a grain of it get's shaved off and propelled down a magnetic rail with Mass Effect (it's a thing :3). It's like throwing a grain of sand so fast it punches through a tank like wet paper. The thermal clips are only heat sinks for improving the fire rate, they aren't mandatory for using a gun... in the lore.

Driskoll

Yeah, that sounds about right. Sucks you can't fire at all then when there are no more clips left. Maybe that would ruin the gun eventually or something. I'm sure Shepard's been shot in the knee before though and he's still adventuring.  ;D

Inkidu

Mass Effect projectiles 101:

Using mass effect fields various arms manufacturers have made lightweight but highly durable firearms. The limiting factor on any firearm is Newton's third law, because as we all know HE'S THE DEADLIEST SON OF A BITCH IN SPACE!

The second limiting factor is of course heat. The weapons actually operate with tiny mass-effect generators because it allows people to accelerate a small cube of metal at incredible speeds (Newton's third law being the limiting factor). So they don't necessarily achieve astronomical speeds, and probably don't go much faster than a bullet by today's standards. However, you could shoot a bigger bullet out of a a smaller gun.

Ammo is in fact, like Sabby and the codex says, a block of metal. From that block the gun's computer will slice off the appropriate chunk. I don't think they would be grain-o-sand size because of rounds like cryo or pyro. They would have some kind of tracer like core with the chosen element. Likewise, shredder or anti-personnel rounds are probably cut by the computer in a different way, but it is implied that they're still large enough to act like a FMJ, an HP, or a hunting round. Or that enough of them are forced out a barrel to act like a shotgun blast.

Due to the metal block, ammo is a non-issue in combat.

The thermal clip:

Technically speaking guns are still infinite ammo. A thermal clip is a uniform, universal small arms portable heat sink. As the weapon is fired the heat builds up. Various weapons heat up the clip faster than others. When the thermal clip is full it is ejected to instantly cool the weapon and prevent malfunction. In real life if one of your guns overheated it could deform the parts, so this actually makes sense.

Non small arms weapons: Apparently these still use unique ammo types, so a large explosive round from a helicopter gunship would no doubt not qualify as small arms and therefore not use the same method as above.

Numerion

Arrows to the knee jokes used to be funny...until they've been overused *antijokechicken.jpg*
Current status: looking for play -> A/A