Grammar as a Rule, in the SB and otherwise.

Started by Prefect Mos, June 17, 2011, 01:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefect Mos

It has Been claimed that Correct Grammar is a Rule in elliquiy.  I only wish to know where this rule is located, and if there are other rules that seem to have fallen outside of our well organized guidelines.  If there Is not a rule for this, should there be? How would we arbitrate what constitutes good style when it comes to implementing English?

Trieste

Elliquiy has always had a policy of, "We are not grammar Nazis, but please make sure to spell out your words, don't use chatspeak, and strive for correct punctuation and capitalization." It's not too much to ask for on a literary site, after all, that people attempt to write properly.

Also, as stated in the rules, individual parts of the site have their own rules, so you would have to see if other parts of the site have rule threads. They are often stickied to the top of forums.

Prefect Mos

Yes, but this policy does not appear to be listed for the SB, I don't know of all the specific threads rules, and perhaps some of them have that rule listed in there.  Please do not take this as combative, I'm just trying to get some clarification from a discussion started in the SB.  Its just that if the moderators are going to start enforcing proper grammar in the SB, it should be made more clear in the rules or even the Advice thread.

Nico

My personal view. The rule Trieste pointed out is for E in general. After all, the Shout Box is the first thing many new people see. It is like a billboard for the community as a whole. I think it should be common sense, to stick to this rule everywhere on E. It would make less sense if this rule would be for just a part of the community, after all.

Caeli

It seems that during our shift to using threads for our main site links (policies, rules, etc.) and incorporating our guidelines into the rest of our policies, the "This is an English community" guideline got lost in the shuffle, such that it is no longer codified in any of our policy or rules pages.

Asking our members to properly spell, punctuate, and avoid chatspeak has always been codified in our site policies, up until the shift happened in February/March. I apologize that the guideline is no longer explicitly written anywhere, so we will rectify that immediately; however, this policy is and was not new; you have been here long enough to have been familiar with all of the rules and guidelines.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Prefect Mos

I Just don't remember it from before, Ive gone and come back a few times, and each time I do , I re acquaint  myself with the rules.  Thank you for the clarification Caeli.

Nicholas, its fine if its a general rule for the site, I'm not arguing that, what I was arguing was that it was an unlisted rule, and punishing some one for an unwritten rule goes against the openness of this site, and I wasn't the one being punished, or breaking this particular rule .

Caeli

We have previously recognized that there were many guidelines and rules codified in our policies. The reason we shifted to the threads, and tried to incorporate the guidelines in other areas, was to minimize the number of areas that our members had to click to in order to find all of the relevant information to their usage of the site.

Thanks for bringing up the question, Prefect Mos - it's given us an opportunity to rectify the oversight . I've now included the guideline about Elliquiy being a literary site in our rules and procedures, so you should be able to find it easily in the future.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs