OMG txts r 20 yrs old LOL

Started by DumbLondoner, December 02, 2012, 05:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DumbLondoner

Wow!  On 3 December, it will be twenty years to the day since Neil Papworth, a 22-year-old technician was sitting at a computer terminal in Vodafone’s Newbury HQ, where the company were having their Christmas party.  Imbued with festive spirit, Papworth sent the telenote message ‘Merry Christmas’ from his computer to technical director Richard Jarvis’s Orbitel 901 phone. Little did he know that two decades later, telenotes would be called texts.

I cannot help but wonder whether the impact of texts has been positive or negative - they have certainly created a whole new vocabulary and more ways to represent laughing than you could ever have imagined you would need!

Of course, sometimes our texts really don't convey what we meant and the web is full of examples of where Autocorrect (the texter's nemesis) does a great job of improving an otherwise dull exchange.  For example this one:

"Your Mom and I are going to divorce next month"
"OMG what???  Why????  Call me pls..."
"I wrote Disney and the phone changed it.  We are going to Disney."

Got any more?

Don't judge

sleepywinter

When I saw the name of your post my brain had a minor seizure, I strongly dislike short hand writing in texts. It drives me nuts.
that's amazing texts are almost old enough to drink here in the states.

My favorite auto correct is when my friends phone replaces the f word with duck or duckling, it makes it very difficult to take her serious  ;)
A little lost and a little found
For one to find the lost soul of it all
Defiance is my name...sometimes

Caitlin

Imagine if that technician received 0.01 cent for every text message ever sent... He'd still be a billionaire now. ;)

MiladyGenevieve20

Quote from: Caitlin on December 05, 2012, 07:15:32 AM
Imagine if that technician received 0.01 cent for every text message ever sent... He'd still be a billionaire now. ;)
Most definitely. Wow. I will be twenty one tomorrow. Doesnt seem like they would be as old as me almost haha. I know my mom didn't even start using a cellphone till I was nine or ten. Now I barely know a person who owns a landline.