News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haruki

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on January 29, 2015, 03:26:04 AM
Try watching Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei instead. Still magic, a bit more grounded in reality, with a hyper Mary Sue, yet strangely likable protagonist

I'll have to look into that later then.  Thanks.  ^^  Good thing I strangely don't mind 'Mary Sue' types so long as they're likeable.

Quote from: jcsimpson on January 29, 2015, 05:41:50 AM
I'll admit that I never liked Anime for a few reasons. One was that there was always some really goofy character doing things not even the most drunk immature person would do. The Father on Bleach turned me away from the series, I just couldn't get gripped by the story when this wacko would drop kick his son and give him a spiel about being ready for anything. My brother recently got very into Anime and he hooked me on Sword Art Online and now I'm binge watching it all on Netflix. I'm only on episode five but I love it so far. Attack on Titan is my next binge, I've been told there's no really goofy stuff in that one.

Well now it sounds like you do like anime, albeit stumbling in coming into the fold.  With those two series, you'll have a couple genres covered, so when done with those, branch out.  Go back a ways too....a lot of these modern 'hits' are often because other series from the past served as inspiration.  Older anime doesn't look nearly as slick, but there's some good storytelling among them.

This is a great example and a lesson to anyone who's completely new to anime and needs a good 'gateway' to get into it.  Just because a series (say, Bleach, Naruto, SAO ,Titan, etc) is popular with a sizable audience, doesn't necessarily mean it'll click with someone who's completely new to it.

If I had gotten into anime with DBZ instead of Samurai Pizza Cats, I would not be into it today at all.  Sci-fi action in a futuristic setting just never was a genre I could grasp (oddly I liked its predecessor, Dragon Ball, but it was more comedic and adventure oriented) , but I always enjoyed action or romantic comedy, and anything fantasy that goes back into the medieval/feudal periods.

It helps to know what genres within Western animation and even live-action one is into before introducing them to anime.

To be frank from experience, shounen series would probably be the last thing I'd recommend.   A lot of them are just too over-the-top, goofy, unrealistic fare, and often, they are too.....Damn......LONG.  With literally hundreds of series and movies out there to pick from, there are far better options IMHO.  I'd probably aim low.....something shorter...13-26 episode shot or a few films (Most anything Ghibli works here, Akira (for classic sci-fi/post-apocalypse), Wolf Children for a more contemporary slice-of-life, and so on), spanning a few genres to dip the toes into.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Cayenne

The problem with Fairy Tail, as a show I sincerely liked for a good deal of time is this constant need for catastrophe.  I liked the characters, just, they were never given any time to develop outside of some end of the world crap going on, where one folds into the last, and it just keeps going indefinitely.  Also, like most shows that revolve around powers, the constant need for making them crazier, and even more overpowered sort of wears on me after a while.

Though, the format of magical guilds and jobs always appealed to me.   Even moreso than the clans on Naruto (Another show that lost my interest eventually, some time early on in Shippuden)

I have no patience for fan service at this point, I am not the target, and if I was, I could only hope that the constant sight of panties wouldn't do it for me at my age.

Dragon Ball (The first series) was pretty watchable for me at the time, when Dragon Ball Z came out, I quickly lost interest because it was no longer storytelling, it was unfortunate filler~

The first half of season one of Sword Art Online was amazing, it has not really captured me with its offerings since that point. 

For the most part, of the new series for winter, there is almost nothing that interests me, most of what I continue to watch was already started, and continues on.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Haruki

Shounen anime always seems to have that problem.  Then again, we're talking about Japan here, where shounen anime is used to sell products (ie: Pokemon anime advertises the games and other merch, ditto Naruto with the manga, games, and merch, Fairy Tail as well), much like how cartoons here in the 1980s (GI Joe, He-Man, etc) did before the FCC basically put an end to the practice in the 1990s due to pressure from so-called 'parental' groups.)  Aside:  Basically why Saturday AM and syndicated broadcast animation blocks were all but killed off in favor of infomercials or local news in the last 25 years.  I digress.  That's why there's always tons of filler episodes, characters and plots are stretched razor-thin...even if they have to wait for the manga storyline to catch up, they still got to sell stuff I guess.

Anime in Japan is still very much modeled and aired like how our own animated stuff used to be presented up until the 90s.  The timeslots have changed significantly though.  Most of what we see via streaming is aired either on Sat or Sunday AMs, and as such, often get mediocre ratings.  Networks like TV Tokyo have been cutting back on anime (which is expensive to produce) in favor of cheaper 'reality TV' programming during 'prime time' hours, and most of your 'otaku-pandering' stuff is strictly late night (post-10PM) times.

For the record, if I'm not mistaken, the only ongoing shonen series now are One Piece, Naruto and Fairy Tail (which resumed after a break).  Pokemon is a massive beast unto itself for some reason.  They keep cranking it out.  Keep at the pace they're going, and it'll be nearly 1000 episodes long within a few years.

While it can be frustrating if a show ends at a cliffhanger and isn't green-lit for another season / series, I do prefer, and thus seek out, anime that are quite shorter and as such, are forced to be more concise with plots and character development.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Wajin

I don't know if it's still running, but I believe Nintama Rantaro is getting close to 2000 episodes, last I checked it was quite a bit above 1700
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Batman4560

Hi guys, just wanted to pop in and say "I fucking love One Piece! and Fairy Tail!" Love me some long running anime. Also....Code Geass and Samurai X rock just as hard.

That is all.-

Zeth

Military! is a fun little anime about loli girls blowiing things up with tanks. Each episode  is 3 and a half minutes and o far only 4 are out. I hope more come out so I can see where the series goes.

Haruki

There was this one anime I like called Azumanga Daioh!.  It's based off a manga series where each strip was only 4 panels long.  Those 4-panel shots were turned into 5-minute 'episodes', and 'digest episodes' (compiling the shorts into one 'full length' episode) would be run usually at the weeks' end.

Hetailia did something similar, but I haven't seen that series.

I think there's another anime, Doremon (pardon if I butchered the spelling) that's another long-runner.  It's been on the air for a crazy-long time, and is easily in the thousands or so episode count.

Batman, right there with you on Samurai X....the Kenshin OAVs.  Specifically the two titled 'Trust' and "Btrayal'.  That one hit me like a ton of bricks when I first watched it.  Quite very darker than the more comedy/action laden TV series, which I liked up to the end of the Kyoto story arc, then quit, because I knew what was coming.  For those new to that series, it's essential viewing as it delves into the lead character's history.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Yukina

Quote from: Haruki on January 30, 2015, 12:48:08 AM
There was this one anime I like called Azumanga Daioh!.  It's based off a manga series where each strip was only 4 panels long.  Those 4-panel shots were turned into 5-minute 'episodes', and 'digest episodes' (compiling the shorts into one 'full length' episode) would be run usually at the weeks' end.

*high fives*

Cayenne

Apparently, the next big thing in Japan in the "Pokemon place" is Youkai Watch, which not only the games, but also the anime and movies are starting to topple the pokemon stranglehold! It is all pretty interesting.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Haruki

Quote from: Cayenne on January 30, 2015, 10:17:16 AM
Apparently, the next big thing in Japan in the "Pokemon place" is Youkai Watch, which not only the games, but also the anime and movies are starting to topple the pokemon stranglehold! It is all pretty interesting.

Ah so it seems.  I had to Google that one, but you're right.  Interesting.

You'd think by this day and age, something has to dethrone Pokemon.  Changing tastes and all with coming generations.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Cayenne

From my understanding, it isn't that far from the pokemon ideas.   Though, since they are all ghosts and whatnot, is less cock fighting for kids. I think I tried to watch an episode, but it was super kid centric - and kinda difficult to watch.

If you like spirits though!

Mushishi and Natsume's book of friends are pretty much the pinnacles for me. 

ONs & OFF

Haruki

Quote from: Cayenne on January 30, 2015, 12:12:48 PM
Mushishi and Natsume's book of friends are pretty much the pinnacles for me. 

Mushishi is interesting.  Unlike a lot of modern anime, each episode tells a different tale though the eyes of a man who can see 'mushi'....spirits, essentially.

Japanese 'ghost stories' are quite a different beast than the way which we portray them ...we mostly use them to frighten others.  It's a nice 'wind down' show that doesn't require me to marathon a ton of episodes to get somewhere with it.

I'm liking how some of these lesser-known titles are being tossed around here.  Hopefully it will get others to go back and (re-)discover them.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Lustful Bride

you know..i really wish we would see more Anime with heroes who are actually heroic.

I just recently re read the manga "All you need is kill"* which inspired the movie Edge of Tomorrow.* (I love both equally) and I really like the character of Keiji Kiriya. I think he is is one of the better anime/manga characters that I can really think of.

He is a rookie soldier who in his first combat mission is killed by the alien invaders, only to wake up trapped in an eternal time loop where he is constantly killed in battle and wakes up at the beginning of the day all over again.

And yet despite having a moment of weakness, he doesn't turn into a whiny bitch (like a lot of other characters...who shall not be named but I'm sure most of you know who they are) he lets himself panic once and after seeing that if the aliens win the battle all of Japan/ the rest of the region will fall to them. So he then swears to get stronger everyday and despite dying almost a hundred times, he holds true to this oath and eventually the Aliens are repelled from the region, though not without a lot of pain and sacrifices.

Went on a tangent there...>_> but what im trying to say is I really wish we saw more of the characters being real heroes and meeting the challenge head on. COuld be im just not looking in the right place too.  :P

Pretty much Keiji is my favorite character ever!

*go read it/ watch it. X3

EDIT: Crazy insane tangent aside (apologies) for me anime that I like, nothing could beat what first got me into Anime in the first place. Robotech/Macross, the very first one. I remember getting teary eyed when Roy Fokker died and how excited I was when Max and Myria got married.  ;D

Aside form that I cant really think of anything else that truly jumps our at me and drives me wild with excitement. Everything else is just something I like but not love.

Revelation

Samurai Flamenco is exactly that.

It's an anime story about a male model who feels unsatisfied with his job and wants to help people. Inspired by Tokusatsu/Kamen Rider stuff, he decides to become a masked superhero and works with the police to do such. The show is slightly more on the comedic side, but the main character is incredibly heroic and good natured and takes every challenge infront of him head on and to protect others or fight evil.

Cayenne

Samurai Flamenco is a really odd thing.  It actually lost me a few times throughout the series during its various twists and turns - in the end it was - if I recall satisfying, but I always felt sad that they gave away this idea of the small time hero, in exchange for this ever increasing grandiose plot.  Also the back and forth of Comedy and extremely serious things was a bit strange.

There are lot of animes that break the standard flow of things though, stuff like "Puella magi madoka magica"  and "Yuki Yuna is a hero"  both take the magical girl themes to varying levels of dark places.  I mean, Kill La Kill is dark, but more of its uniqueness comes from the the ever increasing absurdity.  They are all about heroism, but Puella and Yuki Yuna focus more on what is given, what is lost in order to achieve victory which is pretty interesting.

ONs & OFF

Zeth

Sessha has me watching Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio. Arpeggio of Blue Steel is the English title. 5 episodes into it and I am hooked. Thank you Sessha!

Lustful Bride

I only saw a few episode of Samurai Flamenco

Kill lla Kill....ive heard that name a lot recently. Is it good?

Also: I don't know if it counts but i'm throwing in Steven Universe to my favorites.  To me its as close as a Western Cartoon can get to matching the sort of style and manner of an Anime.

Cayenne

Kill La Kill is to Magical Girl anime as Gurren Lagann is to Giant Robots.    Sort of this, taking of the basic concepts and turning them up to 11.  I really enjoyed it - a lot of people say the first episodes aren't as good - but I found the whole anime to be really entertaining and surprising at every turn (Which, very few things do these days!)   To me the only downside was the animation seemed cheap at first, but it is rather a style that grows and grows.

ONs & OFF

Wajin

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 05, 2015, 09:43:51 AM
I only saw a few episode of Samurai Flamenco

Kill lla Kill....ive heard that name a lot recently. Is it good?

Also: I don't know if it counts but i'm throwing in Steven Universe to my favorites.  To me its as close as a Western Cartoon can get to matching the sort of style and manner of an Anime.

If you're into the absolute absurd, over the top school of Anime, its the same guys who did Gurren Lagann, then it's all for you. I personally love it :D
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

Lustful Bride

Il have to check it out....hmm out of curiosity who here has seen the Starship Troopers Anime OVA?

*just fishing for things to talk about*

Cayenne

I've never heard of it~ 

I think my favourite anime type is probably slice of life, but I have kind of a rule against eyeballs being too giant (Unless the story/otherwise is good enough to outweigh it) Usually stuff over 40-50 percent the size of their head falls into the "No thanks" category~

ONs & OFF

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cayenne on February 05, 2015, 09:59:36 AM
I've never heard of it~ 

I think my favourite anime type is probably slice of life, but I have kind of a rule against eyeballs being too giant (Unless the story/otherwise is good enough to outweigh it) Usually stuff over 40-50 percent the size of their head falls into the "No thanks" category~

ITs...okay to be honest. I watched it (pirated, with subtitles) and ..its actually even slower than the book, I found myself actually loosing interest as I watched it sadly. I much preffered the Western Animated series which had good amounts of action Drama that as a kid kept me wanting more, and gave much more personality in my opinion beyond "Im moody and emotional."

CaptainNexus616

In truth I am at noob status when it comes to anime. I watched DBZ like a lot of kids did thanks to Toonami but to be honest. I freaking love giant robots. I first started with the likes of Power Rangers before Toonami started airing Gundam Wing and dang was that an awesome show. G Gundam Fighter was also incredible (Funny thing is the protagonist's voice actor is now a dentist). Then Zoids came along a show about giant animal robots battling each other in fight match's I thought was the coolest thing ever. Then the most recent was Gurren Lagann.

However now when I suggest an anime to watch I usually make sure to give them a small subtle warning of what to expect. Like when I suggest Gurren Lagann to friends I warn them they may want to stop watching it at a certain episode but I urge them to keep going and it gets bigger and better :)

With Sword Art Online...oh gosh I suggested for them to just watch the first half and just stop there. I didn't listen to a friend who suggest that to me and it got to the point I just skimmed the rest.

I could be probably be considered a critic cause I see flaws a lot. But a lot of shows do have positive points to them that can easily outshine the bad ones.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Wajin

Haruki

I'm rewatching an older favorite of mine, The Twelve Kingdoms.

I still remember when I watched the first time through back in early 2006....I almost gave up 3-4 episodes in.  The series just starts off on very shaky ground, what with the first female lead we're introduced to, Yoko, a girl living the typical structured Japanese life and thrown into an unknown world by way of a large storm, being almost-constantly whiny / frightened.  But then by the 5th and 6th episodes, we start digging into her psyche after losing track of her 'friends' from Japan, and she finally meets a trustworthy friend in her new surroundings...that's when the character and world exploration/building begins.  THAT is when 12 Kingdoms finally begins to shine.  The third major 'arc' in the show is the pinnacle of storytelling to me...when Youko's storyline is picked back up from where it leaves off after the first arc, and is joined with the telling of two other characters' events simultaneously, and then eventually all merging together.

For me it was so deep and so GOOD....the history and lore of the story's world, the characters all having their own histories and ultimate goals in mind...very little of it is one-dimensional, typical of a lot of fantasy anime.  I wound up rewatching the whole series 6 times through over the next two years.  If only it didn't have such a weak start and went unfinished after 45 episodes, ie: some details of the light novels never got put to animation, and one of the storylines telling of past events in the world went half-unfinished, leaving a huge plot hole, this would be one of those 'best' shows IMHO.  For what it is, it's still quite good to me, and Youko matured into a very respectable heroine (won't spoil what happens to her).  You don't get many female anime leads like that.
=====
My Introduction
=====