[Interest Check] 4th Edition D&D

Started by Jeramiahh, July 04, 2008, 02:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Umh, only wizards have 4th edition really good AoE attacks. My two AoE's use shurikens (and so I am limited how many foes I hurt in long run) and other is more debuff AoE than actual damage AoE. Also all my AoE's are close combat ones (and so is warlock) while wizard haves the best ranged AoE effects and abilities control foes.

Caustic

I still gotta finalize magic items.  Hope to do so tonight.  I'll mention the game to who I can, see what shakes loose.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Jeramiahh

Zaer: You've never met my guild's ret paladin, then; she consistently pulls impressive DPS, even in T5/6 content. Nothing quite like seeing a paladin top the DPS charts in a heroic competing with a rogue and mage.

Others: One thing I like about 4e is that players can, to a degree, survive without a healer or AoE class; much moreso than 3e. Between Second Wind and the paladin's abilities, you could probably survive fairly easily.

Anyway, I'll give this another day or two, before I put things up.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Von Konos

Greetings
I would liek to play in the Temple of the Blood God, I deal however I do not own a  copy of D&D 4th edition, I have a copy of the 3.5 edition if that is fine. Not sure how much of a difference would be.
Let me know if that is ok then I will let you know my two ideas for characters.

Thanks Von
In the beginning there was Von and the world was dark. And then Von said: let's get darker.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Jeramiahh on July 15, 2008, 02:59:59 PM
Zaer: You've never met my guild's ret paladin, then; she consistently pulls impressive DPS, even in T5/6 content. Nothing quite like seeing a paladin top the DPS charts in a heroic competing with a rogue and mage.

That is PvE content and retri's DPS is fine so long they have gear to match it up. But in PvP retri are toast against most classes because retri lack anysort of interupts vs spellcasting (if your not belf but that does not count nor the stuns nor repentance which are resistable). Also retri palla is damn easy to CC against if he have used his bubble and trinket and his Blessing of Freedom can be dispelled or stolen most of the classes (and so are blessings which is main source of a buff to retri paladin besides using a seal).

Jeramiahh

Quote from: Von Konos on July 15, 2008, 11:17:31 PM
Greetings
I would liek to play in the Temple of the Blood God, I deal however I do not own a  copy of D&D 4th edition, I have a copy of the 3.5 edition if that is fine. Not sure how much of a difference would be.
Let me know if that is ok then I will let you know my two ideas for characters.

Thanks Von

Well, couple problems there, buddy; first off, we've already decided on a game, second, I state pretty explicitly that you need the 4e rules, because they're as different from 3e's as you can really get. Please see the rest of the thread for a brief discussion why.

Zaer: I don't even consider PvP in balance discussions; It's like considering the economic situation in Zimbabwe when discussing price differences between two supermarkets. Entirely different field, completely optional, and IMHO, silly. Call me again when the game isn't boiled down to five classes, and then we'll talk.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Caustic

ok... so, all this stuff aside, can we verify what we currently have?

Zaer- Tiefling Rogue
Kongming- either Minotaur or Elven Cleric
Hikari- Eldarin Ranger?
Me- Human Paladin

We really need a wizard, could use a warlord.  Possibly have a fighter or wizard coming?  That sum it up?

What do we really need to do now?

Oh, and Von Konos-- I have a pdf version of the 4e handbook if you want it.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

HairyHeretic

I think I'd like to give 4th ed a try. You got any room still?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Von Konos

Caustic I would be more then happy to have a copy of the 4th edition.
I could play a fighter or warlock. either one is fine with me.
In the beginning there was Von and the world was dark. And then Von said: let's get darker.

Caustic

Ok-- I'll send you a link when I get home tonight.

Von Konos

Valerian

Hm, I was going to mention some interest as well, but perhaps you're full up now...?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Caustic

Er, I think Jeremiah's post said something to the effect of, "No promises 'til the sheet's done."  So... can't hurt, can it?  *crosses fingers*

Requiem

I'd be really interested in getting into some 4e.  I can happily play a wizard (seems that what is needed), or any other role.

Valerian

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Caustic

*laugh* no panic-- just, take your time...

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Jeramiahh on July 16, 2008, 02:26:55 AM
Zaer: I don't even consider PvP in balance discussions; It's like considering the economic situation in Zimbabwe when discussing price differences between two supermarkets. Entirely different field, completely optional, and IMHO, silly. Call me again when the game isn't boiled down to five classes, and then we'll talk.

Well, besides PvP retri pallas are not welcomed to 5 man groups as DPS because many folks view that they cant make DPS (and even if knowing they can with good gear but you cant gear up if your not bringed along in first place or farm gear in 'off-specc').

Also in PvE lack of good CC ability and interuption makes retri's life hard. Even in raids. Examply rogues, mages, shamans, fury warriors all have way interupt spellcasting it being not 'silence' effect (like Belf pallies could use their AoE silence in raids but silence not working against bosses nor most elites). Examply in Opera in karazhan if you get Romeo and Juliet if you don't have melee DPS to do interupts it is impossible fight to do.

Same thing again at Solarian; melee DPS go interupt healer casters and my only effective CC's both have very long cooldowns. Altough you may consider PvP a completely sepparated game system it excelently shows what classes lack in abilities wise and some abilities are crucial for PvE (which are CC, healing, CC resistance/breaking, ability to do fast damage etc).

In all the fields retri palla haves serious problems to do anything besides miraclous SoC procc and judgement crit to do insane nuke damage (not anyway controlled) and having two powerful abilities which he cant use together nor soon from each other and using other locks option not to use the other and both are dispellable and another is able to be stolen.

Jeramiahh

Right now, I have Zaer's Rogue, Caustic's Paladin, and Jefepato's Fighter. KM has been asked to leave the game, and her character is not on the list. I'll also count Hikari's Ranger, if you'd like.

So, yes, that leaves us down a Leader, at the least; best case scenario, we have two Defenders and two Strikers. Schnookums expressed interest, but also said he'd be out of town for a week a couple days ago.

So, like I always say, until a character sheet is in my hands, the spot is not filled.

Requiem

I am going to jump on this and make a Warlord then.  You'll have the sheet fairly soon!

Edit:  Do you want me to post or PM the sheet?

Requiem

Morgan Sorovich
Male Half-Elf Warlord / Sword marshal
Level 14
Good
Representing Requiem

Ability Scored
Strength    17   (+3)
Dexterity    12   (+1)
Constitution    15   (+2)
Intelligence    18   (+4)
Wisdom    11   (+0)
Charisma    22   (+6)

Basic Stats   
Height:    6' 2"
Weight:    190 lb
Skin:    Tan
Eyes:    Blue
Hair:    Red; Straight; Light Beard
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Health
Maximum Hit Points: 92

• Bloodied: 46
  • Surge Value: 23
  • Surges / Day: 9

Basic Combat
Initiative: 1d20 +12 = + 7 [half level] + 1 [dexterity] +4 [feat]
Base Strength Attack: 1d20 +10   = + 7 [half level + 3 [strength]
Base Intelligence Attack: 1d20 +11 = + 7 [half level + 4 [intelligence]
Base Charisma Attack: 1d20 +13   = + 7 [half level + 6 [charisma]
Defenses
Armor Class: 26   = 10 + 7 [half level] + 9 [armor]
Fortitude Defense: 21 = 10 + 7 [half level] + 1 [warlord] + 3 [strength]+1 [item]
Reflex Defense:    22 = 10 + 7 [half level] + 4 [intelligence] +1 [item]
Will Defense: 25 = 10 + 7 [half level] + 1 [warlord] + 6 [charisma] +1 [item]

Armor: Exalted Chainmail +3 (Page 230, PHB)

Attacks
      Cleave +10w [strength] vs AC
      Furious Smash +10w [strength] vs fortitude
      Wolfpack Tactics +10w [strength] vs AC
      Lead the Attack +10w [strength] vs AC
      Warlord's Strike +10w [strength] vs AC
      Stand the Fallen +10w [strength] vs AC
      Lion's Roar +10w [strength] vs AC
      White Raven Strike +10w [strength] vs AC
      Blade Flurry +10w [strength] vs AC
      Bolstering Blow +10w [strength] vs AC

Encumbrance

Normal Load: 170 lb.
Heavy Load: 340 lb.
Maximum Drag Load: 850 lb.

Languages: Common; Elven; Draconic

Skills

• Acrobatics:   +8   = 1 [dexterity] + 7 [half level]
  • Arcana:   +11   = 4 [intelligence] + 7 [half level]
  • Athletics:   +15   = 3 [strength] + 7 [half level] + 5 [class training]
  • Bluff:   +13   = 6 [charisma] + 7 [half level]
  • Diplomacy:   +20   = 6 [charisma] + 7 [half level] + 2 [half-elf] + 5 [class training]
  • Dungeoneering:   +7   = 0 [wisdom] + 7 [half level]
  • Endurance:   +14   = 2 [constitution] + 7 [half level] + 5 [class training]
  • Heal:   +15   = 0 [wisdom] + 7 [half level] + 5 [class training] + 3 [skill focus]
  • History:   +11   = 4 [intelligence] + 7 [half level]
  • Insight:   +9   = 0 [wisdom] + 7 [half level] + 2 [half-elf]
  • Intimidate:   +13   = 6 [charisma] + 7 [half level]
  • Nature:   +7   = 0 [wisdom] + 7 [half level]
  • Perception:   +7   = 0 [wisdom] + 7 [half level]
  • Religion:   +11   = 4 [intelligence] + 7 [half level]
  • Stealth:   +8   = 1 [dexterity] + 7 [half level]
  • Streetwise:   +13   = 6 [charisma] + 7 [half level]
  • Thievery:   +8   = 1 [dexterity] + 7 [half level]
Feats

• Durable   
  • Improved Initiative
  • Group Insight
  • Inspired Recovery
  • Skill Focus – Heal
  • Weapon Focus -- Heavy Blade
  • Danger Sense
  • Combat Commander
  • Devastating Critical
Powers
At-Will:
Furious Smash [Level 1]
Wolf Pack Tactics [Level 1]

Encounter Powers:
Second Wind
Cleave [Half-Elf]
Inspiring Word [Warlord][minor action]
Aid the Injured [Level 2 Utility]
Warlord's Strike [Level 3]
Lion's Roar [Level 7]
Blade Flurry [Sword Marshal Level 11]
Bolstering Blow [Level 13]

Daily Powers:
Lead the Attack [Level 1]
Stand the Fallen [Level 5]
Stand Tough [Level 6 Utility][minor action]
White Raven Strike [Level 9]
Defensive Rally [Level 10 Utility]
Sword Marshal's Boon [Sword Marshal Level 12 Utility][free action]

Gear
      Backpack
      Bedroll
      Flint and steel
      Grappling hook
      Hammer
      Pitons x10
      Pouch (belt) x1
      Rations (1 day) x10
      Rope (50', hempen) x1
      Sunrods x2
      Waterskins x1

Level 15 Item: Exalted Armor +3
Armor: Chain
Enhancement: AC
Power (Daily/Healing)- Minor - Until the end of your turn each character healed by one of you encounter powers or daily powers regains additional hit points equal to 1d10 + Charisma Mod

Level 14 Item: Amulet of False Life +3
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fort/Ref/Will
Power (Daily): Minor - Use this when bloodied to gain temporary hit points equal to healing surge value.

Level 13 Item: Thundering Greatsword +3
Enhancement: Attack and Damage Rolls
Crit: +1d6 thunder damage per plus
Power: (Daily/Thunder): Use this when you hit with the weapon. Deal 2d8 extra thunder damage and push the target 1 square.

More about Morgan Sorovich:
Born the bastard son of a border lord, Morgan did his best to train as hard as his full blood brothers while keeping ties with his mother.  Though he had the heart of a knight, prejudice kept him from claiming his birthright and he left his home, errant.  He has traveled across the land looking for some true direction with his life and trying to find the truth of nobility.  Though his introspection lead to dark places, Morgan is still a fairly bright individual, and turns away dark thoughts with a joke.

He has a soft spot for inequality and injustice, and when he sees the weak being tread on he does all he can to right the wrongs.  This has earned him a reputation as a meddler in higher circles, while elevating him among the common folk.  He may not be a knight by title, but he does his best to champion people in his heart.

---
Please note, I am still working on his full personality and personal history.  This is my starting point though.

Jeramiahh

OOC thread and character sheet thread are up. I'll give it a little time before starting the game, see if anyone else is going to finish up a character; Hikari, I'd like more detail to the sheet, like all of the numbers and calculations done, before I post it.

We have a cast of four, though, so I'm willing to go with just that.

Character Sheets: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=18455.0
OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=18454.0